Bandit 29 FTW!!!

I drank the 29er Kool-Aid and ordered...

my first frame for a build. I got a 2011 EMD 9. I went with a small frame and had a question on cranks. I currently have 175mm cranks on my medium 26" FS.

Should I consider 170mm cranks since I'm going down a size in the frame?

I just let one RIP
    If you are used to 175s, I would stick with them. 'Course, if you are used to medium 26ers, I would have said stick with a medium 29er, as well. Unless you felt the medium 26er was too big, and the cranks too long. But if 175s always felt fine, I would just continue to use them.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    If you are used to 175s, I would stick with them. 'Course, if you are used to medium 26ers, I would have said stick with a medium 29er, as well. Unless you felt the medium 26er was too big, and the cranks too long. But if 175s always felt fine, I would just continue to use them.
    I was torn on going with a medium. I'm 5'-7" and have been told that I could ride either size. Although Niner's sizing chart shows the small for 5'3 thru 5'8 and the medium for 5'9 to 6'

Plan #123-D
    I'm about that size and am super comfortable on the small EMD, couldn't imagine going any bigger. Also, for what it's worth, I have 170mm cranks on it, but, only because they were pretty cheap. All things being equal, I would have gone 175mm if they were on sale. I run 175mm on my SS and they just feel better. Will switch out cranks when I find another good deal. So, IMHO, don't change what works and what you're used to. Congrats on the new purchase! What are you going to build her up with?
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I was torn on going with a medium. I'm 5'-7" and have been told that I could ride either size. Although Niner's sizing chart shows the small for 5'3 thru 5'8 and the medium for 5'9 to 6'
    My wife is 5'6 and rides the small Air9 and it is perfect for racing and just plain old riding with normal length stem and such. If you went medium depending on your torso to leg ratio you probably would be going smaller and smaller on your stem length so you probably choose right. Plus 175mm don't change a thing.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm 5'8" and I ride a small Air9. I like the smaller size and the lower head tube. As it is, I'm running a flat bar and -17 stem to get my bars where I prefer them.

I do run a slightly longer stem (100mm) and have a fair amount of seatpost showing, but that doesn't bother me at all.

The only negative I can think of to the smaller frame is that I only have one set of water bottle bosses.

I also run 175 cranks for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    i'm 5'9" and got the small with 175mm crank, feels good and comfortable. using it with 80mm stem.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aperzigian View Post
    I'm about that size and am super comfortable on the small EMD, couldn't imagine going any bigger. Also, for what it's worth, I have 170mm cranks on it, but, only because they were pretty cheap. All things being equal, I would have gone 175mm if they were on sale. I run 175mm on my SS and they just feel better. Will switch out cranks when I find another good deal. So, IMHO, don't change what works and what you're used to. Congrats on the new purchase! What are you going to build her up with?
    My goal is to get this bike sub 24lbs. I'm a big fan of Shimano but I also want to go with a 1x10 setup. Can XTR cranks be setup 1x10 with a bash guard?

Then again I like the fact that the X0 groupo has some red in it which will match the frame.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. It really gave me piece of mind to hear what you guys are running.

mtbr member
    here is mine and others emd. enjoy your build!

My New Niner EMD 9

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by boxedrn View Post
    here is mine and others emd. enjoy your build!

My New Niner EMD 9
    That is a super sweet ride.

I hope you guys can be patient with me as I start to ask a ton of questions about getting it set up.