Page 1 of 91 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS

I have dug through all the old monstercross threads and am lusting for more info. I want anything you've got monstercross (less than 2.0 tires and drop bars) related.

Favorite monstercross gear would be great. Photos and ride reports would be even better. Show me your rigs, tell me your tales, give me something to read while I should be working.

I'll seriously take whatever you've got on the subject, and if you own one of these beasts and live near Nashville, I'd love to hit you up for a test ride.
    Last edited by Sleeveless; 11-09-2007 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It'll never be enough monstercross. I'll post some photos from my collection when I'm feeling less lazy. I have an embarrassingly large number of saved photos of drop barred 29er/cross bikes.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Did you run across my old pics? Here are some in case you didn't:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nat
    Solo contendre
    More:

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Nat, you are my HERO!!!!!!

Is that at dt swiss 240 single speed hub with some gears on it. I posted about a week ago about wanting to run that on a Surly Cross Check. You have just about the exact bike I want.

Let's see, I want the same:
    Frame
    Fork
    Bars
    Brake Levers
    Hubs

But I do want some bonty 1.8s for some more cush (coming from front suspension). And about that rear hub, I wanted to run a disc brake version so I could affix a fixie cog for a rear wheel that could serve fixie, single speed, and geared versions. What do you think, as I see you've done at least two of the three combos.

Oh, and do you live close enough for me to test ride that rig? Wishful thinking I guess.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveless
    Nat, you are my HERO!!!!!!

Is that at dt swiss 240 single speed hub with some gears on it. I posted about a week ago about wanting to run that on a Surly Cross Check. You have just about the exact bike I want.

Let's see, I want the same:
    Frame
    Fork
    Bars
    Brake Levers
    Hubs

But I do want some bonty 1.8s for some more cush (coming from front suspension). And about that rear hub, I wanted to run a disc brake version so I could affix a fixie cog for a rear wheel that could serve fixie, single speed, and geared versions. What do you think, as I see you've done at least two of the three combos.

Oh, and do you live close enough for me to test ride that rig? Wishful thinking I guess.
    Rock out with your c0ck out! I heart this bike. That is a DT ss hub with a 5 cog cluster. I ran it SS a bit this summer but eventually switched it back to the 10 speed setup. Mostly I like using the old school down tube shifters on friction mode. It's geared 32-36 up front and 12-14-16-18-20 in the back.

I also have a set of fatter tires (Mythos CX I think) that were nice but the problem there was the front cantis couldn't open wide enough to remove the front wheel. I had to deflate/inflate the tire every time I wanted to take the wheel off, and that got to be too much of a nuisance.

I don't ride fixed , so I can't comment on that configuration.

We live a long way from one another but if you were here I'd let you ride it. I bet you won't be disappointed when you build yours up similarly.

Edit: The Mythos CX tires are what's shown in the above pics. Note the front tire width and how the cantis won't open widely enough. I now have skinnier-yet-cushioney WTB All Terrainosaurus tires on it. 700c x 35 maybe?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Is 5 cogs the limit you think?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    If I remember right, 5 cogs took up the entire freehub width. I combined a triplet of cogs from a 9-speed cassette and a doublet from an 8-speed cassette (or was it vice-versa?).

Sorry my answers are so vague. I built this bike up last winter and I've forgotten the details since I don't really dwell on equipment once I get a bike set up. I can go look at any specific detail you'd like but not now...it's night time...and the garage is dark and cold...and I'm getting sleepy.

I had a mountain rack with pannier for a bit. I forgot why I took the rack off, but it was pretty great.

I know I really like riding it. My wife also likes riding it too. She probably uses it more than I do in commuting to her work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    number one: your description above the avatar seems to be a little misleading considering this past post

number two: thanks for the quick answers so far and i look forward to talking to you more about it. i have some questions about sizing and the fact that you aren't running a "super riser" stem.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    number one: your description above the avatar seems to be a little misleading considering this past post

number two: thanks for the quick answers so far and i look forward to talking to you more about it. i have some questions about sizing and the fact that you aren't running a "super riser" stem.
    What, "29 and single?" I just use that because every once in awhile I catch someone who actually thinks I'm 29 years old and am looking for a date. I ride other bikes including 26ers, road bikes, and gearies (oh the horror!). I know. I know.

Right now I can't even recall which size frame it is. I found that stem at JensonUSA (or was it Cambriabike?). Could I be more useless? Jeez!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I recently asked the helpful guys at Speedgoat this question. This was the response:

The hub has a 15mm wide freehub body on it. DT Swiss said that dependent upon
    what cogs and spacers are used you can fit between 4 and 5 cogs.

Thanks!
    Speedgoat Tech

mtbr member
    Nat, that's a really cool bike.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    Nat, that's a really cool bike.
    Hey thanks. Did you guys note the tennis racquet grip?

mtbr member
    Nat - what size is that? Lots of headset spacers, but perhaps that is a fact of life with the Surly Crosscheck sizing options.

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I did ! I was just getting ready to ask. Do you have to buy 2 grips worth? Any harder to wrap or finish?

The Duuude, man...
    I ...... am lusting for more info. I want anything you've got monstercross (less than 2.0 tires and drop bars) related.

I'll seriously take whatever you've got on the subject,
    Well, this is 2.0 size tire, not <2.0, but it's as good an opportunity as any to fly Old Glory.

Giddy up.

FS: Everything

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Nat - what size is that? Lots of headset spacers, but perhaps that is a fact of life with the Surly Crosscheck sizing options.
    I can't recall. I'll try to look it up later today. I seem to like my bars higher than most so I needed more spacers. The final version has a higher rise stem and fewer spacers than what you see in these pics.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Swami Scott
    I did ! I was just getting ready to ask. Do you have to buy 2 grips worth? Any harder to wrap or finish?
    Two grips worth just barely fits if I stretch it. I ended up using four grips worth and transitioned beneath the hoods.

I found it about the same as bike tape to put on.

mtbr member
    Check out the Lalonde brother's blogs...they both just got their custom monstercross bikes from Bob Brown Bicycles.

www.creepyfriendly.typepad.com
    killthedarkness.typepad.com

bike geek
    Seriously? I like that.

That is a nice looking CC Nat.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    Seriously? I like that.

That is a nice looking CC Nat.
    Thanks. Tennis grip feels way better than bike tape, and it's designed for people with sweaty hands. Mine aren't so sweaty but the tape gets tackier when damp.

bike geek
    Thanks. Tennis grip feels way better than bike tape, and it's designed for people with sweaty hands. Mine aren't so sweaty but the tape gets tackier when damp.
    Not to dwell too long on the subject of your grips, but what brand is that? I am looking for similar in red for my commuter build.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    So has there ever been a monster cross built without a 45 degree stem and 40mm of spacers? Meaning...who's built a custom monstercross eliminating the need for the spacer/stem to gain all the reach?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    So has there ever been a monster cross built without a 45 degree stem and 40mm of spacers? Meaning...who's built a custom monstercross eliminating the need for the spacer/stem to gain all the reach?
    See the links that I posted above...you have to scroll down through the blog postings, but there are pictures of the bikes. The Lalondes are fairly normal height though so they don't need the bars very high (compared to you at least Padre).

tiny rider
    Here's my Monster-X coming from the other direction. It's a stock Trek 520 touring bike with the fattest tires I could stuff into the fork.

I've posted the images before, so I'll take a moment to review the tires. These are Ritchey SpeedMax (iirc) 700x40c tires on the fat touring rims the bike came with.

They are incredibly quiet and smooth on pavement. I notice the extra weight a bit vs. road tires, and the top speed is somewhat slower. The edge knobs don't inspire the same confidence in turns that my road tires do, so I tend to turn more deliberately when leaning the bike.

These have been very tough on the trails so far. The first time out I tried airing them down too much and, after snakebiting a couple tubes, road 3 miles back w/o any air in the rear. The tire didn't look worn at all and has held up since. I've had them on some quite rocky and occasionally sharp trails, and they don't show any significant wear yet.

Some rocks (but smooth ones here):

There are limits to the dirt traction, but they are surprisingly high, even with 65lbs of pressure. I've only been in hardpack, some loose over hardpack, gravel and some rocky bits; I can't comment on the wet/mud aspects of the tire, though.

All in all, I've been surprised with their capability on both trail and road.

Page 1 of 91 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast