Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,800 of 2823
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    And while we're on the topic of bikes, what makes something a monster cross bike apart from dropbars? I've read lots of discussion on here and there seems to be varying opinions all over the internet.

no batteries required
    Quote Originally Posted by newagebiker View Post
    And while we're on the topic of bikes, what makes something a monster cross bike apart from dropbars? I've read lots of discussion on here and there seems to be varying opinions all over the internet.

Whatever it is, it doesn't start life as a mountain bike or have 26 or 27.5 inch wheels.
    Nothing that's worth anything is ever easy - M. Hall

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Would a 700+ count as a monstercross??

Got a road/CX geo, moustache bar that will probably be flipped to drop the front even more...

The bike is stock except the Schwalbe Smart Sam 29x1.75 & few commuter accessories...love that bike, it's fast, comfortable & solid at the same time on road, dirt, gravel & snow, will need studded tires for ice next! :P

It can be build has a road bike, CX, gravel or 700+. close to a 29er mtb but it isn't!

RSD Bikes - Catalyst 2016 700+

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_0891-1-.jpg

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_0884-1-.jpg

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_0879-1-.jpg
    2016 Transition Patrol 3 (Satan's AM ride)
    2016 RSD Mayor (winter Fatbike)
    2016 RSD Mayor (29+, summer setup)
    2016 RSD Catalyst (700+, gravel & commuter)
    2013 Felt Breed (SSCX, winter commuter)
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis (DJ, bmx, pump track)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Singular Swift - Reverse Mullet - drop bar MTB build

Singular Swift - in it's current reverse mullet build... "party up front, business in back".

As someone who primarily rides cyclocross, I wanted to keep drop-bars and similar shifters, so that I can practice bike handling skills on the MTB trails.

For moderate singletrack (no drop-offs, or major rock-gardens) I am impressed with how well this build works. I don't miss suspension (or wide flat bars) at all.

Other than the slacker head tube and provision for a suspension corrected fork, the geometry is very similar to my cyclocross bike, even has the lower BB ability due to the Phil Woods asymmetric bottom bracket. This allows a lower BB height for bike-packing and a higher height for MTB.

Build info:

Swift version 1 frame (which works well with drop bars):
    Drop bar 29ers - Gryphon or Swift? - Singular Cycles

On-One Rigid Carbon MTB Fork:
    MKM 35 Rigid Carbon MTB Fork | On - One

WTB 27.5" Scraper rim (front):
    Scraper | WTB

WTB 27.5" x 2.8" Trailblazer tire Front):
    Trailblazer | WTB

For less technical trails and bikepacking, I throw on a second front wheel (29er Stans Flow rim with Maxxis Ardent 2.4" tire).

Cane Creek Thudbuster LT seatpost:
    https://www.canecreek.com/products/seatposts

Other parts:
    WTB 29x 2.25" Trail Boss rear tire
    Salsa Woodchipper 46cm dirt drop bars.
    1989 Shimano FD-M732 front derailleur with works with
    6600/ 5600 (triple) road shifters and XT triple crank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-swift-01.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-swift-02.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-swift-03.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-swift-04.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-swift-05.jpg  

Last edited by Erik_A; 02-20-2017 at 01:57 PM.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbasher View Post

Got a road/CX geo, moustache bar that will probably be flipped to drop the front even more...

The bike is stock except the Schwalbe Smart Sam 29x1.75 & few commuter accessories...love that bike, it's fast, comfortable & solid at the same time on road, dirt, gravel & snow, will need studded tires for ice next! :P

It can be build has a road bike, CX, gravel or 700+. close to a 29er mtb but it isn't!

the whole time i'm reading your description I'm thinking "but what frame is that?" you kept me in suspense till the end.

Nice ride, as far as i can see it only has two problems. it doesn't have sliding dropouts and it doesn't come in XL. so close.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    Singular Swift - in it's current reverse mullet build... "party up front, business in back".

As someone who primarily rides cyclocross, I wanted to keep drop-bars and similar shifters, so that I can practice bike handling skills on the MTB trails.

For moderate singletrack (no drop-offs, or major rock-gardens) I am impressed with how well this build works. I don't miss suspension (or wide flat bars) at all.

Build info:

Swift version 1 frame (which works well with drop bars):
    Drop bar 29ers - Gryphon or Swift? - Singular Cycles

On-One Rigid Carbon MTB Fork:
    MKM 35 Rigid Carbon MTB Fork | On - One

WTB 27.5" Scraper rim (front):
    Scraper | WTB

WTB 27.5" x 2.8" Trailblazer tire Front):
    Trailblazer | WTB

Cane Creek Thudbuster LT seatpost:
    https://www.canecreek.com/products/seatposts

Other parts:
    WTB 29x 2.25" Trail Boss rear tire
    Salsa Woodchipper 46cm dirt drop bars.
    1989 Shimano FD-M732 front derailleur with works with
    6600/ 5600 (triple) road shifters and XT triple crank
    Nice Build, I dig it!

what do you think of that On One fork?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like the On-One fork a lot. Good compliance without being too flexy. Don't notice any rotor rub when cornering. Not too many decent carbon forks with 1-1/8" straight steer tube and QR front axle.

Not the lightest, but lighter than the OEM Singular steel fork (which I also like, but it doesn't fit a 27.5 x 2.8" tire).

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Nice Build, I dig it!

what do you think of that On One fork?

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Whatever it is, it doesn't start life as a mountain bike or have 26 or 27.5 inch wheels.
    According to Article 7, Section VI of the "Monstercross Rule Book?"
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ... Ha, but The Monstercross Velominati doesn't say anything about 27.5 Plus! Actually the trend even for "all-road" bikes seems to be to design frames that allow both 700c wheels with narrow tires, or 27.5 with fat tires.

If you read this, it explains that the Singular Swift (MTB) and Gryphon (Monstercross) were both designed for drop bars and 29er wheels. Drop bar 29ers - Gryphon or Swift? - Singular Cycles

I considered the Gryphon but the top-tube was too short for me (I am 6'-4"). The 2 bikes are very similar in geometry. The Swift allows for a suspension corrected fork and the Gryphon doesn't. Other than the shorter top-tube and longer head tube on the Gryphon, that's about it. I like the aesthetics of the XL Swift better as well, the super tall top-tube looked a bit strange on the XL.

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-swift-gryphon-comparison.jpg

If anything would help a monster-cross bike it would be the ability to swap in a set of 27.5 x 2.8/3.0" plus tires which have the same diameter as a 700c x 2.0" tire.

Actually, I would love to run 27.5 x 2.1" tires on my cyclocross bike (which in similar fashion has a 700 x 40c WTB Nano tire in the rear and a 29 x 1.8" Specialized Renegade squeezed in the front fork for non race-day use). But for that to work I would need to switch to disc brakes on the CX, and I am not doing that anytime soon. I have too many rim-brake wheelsets (and love the TRP RevoX canti's a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post

Ambassador of Chub
    Yup. I've seen some pretty sweet B+ builds that I would put in the somewhat nebulous "monstercross" category.

As for geometry? I don't see any clear lines being drawn, nor do I know why there would need to be. There are plenty of examples these days of sweet frames that have geo somewhere in between "road" and "mountain" and that, when combined with a good dirt drop bar, some sort of road/mtn hybrid drivetrain and decently meaty rubber, fall squarely into this versatile category.

Some people just love to split hairs and adhere to rigid, if mostly arbitrary, categories....
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Not the lightest, but lighter than the OEM Singular steel fork (which I also like, but it doesn't fit a 27.5 x 2.8" tire).
    Which of the scraper rims do you have? I'm just surprised, because my gryphon easily fits a 29x3 chronicle on 35mm rims with plenty of space left over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It is the i45 Scraper version. The version 1 fork will fit the 2.8 tire, but just barely, no room for mud.

I think that the later version Swift (and Gryphon) forks were wider.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Which of the scraper rims do you have? I'm just surprised, because my gryphon easily fits a 29x3 chronicle on 35mm rims with plenty of space left over.

mtbr member
    ^ right, my bad. Forgot that the old swifts were blue, and then white, and now blue again.

mtbr member
    Juice
    Juice MonsterX by Kyle, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    nice build Kyle!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Montercross mic-drop:
    2017 NAHBS: Cielo Dirt Drop Bourbon and Fire MTB | The Radavist
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-2017-nahbs-cielo-dirt-drop-bourbon-fire-mtb-3-1335x890%402x.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^ I swear, if I wanted a slopping toptube I could get that with any mountainbike frame (like my monstercrossish Inbred).

I would consider giving money to someone making a horizontal toptube frame with ridiculous tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-_dsc3950.jpg
    Missing my new Whiskey Goat rims. Best ride I have ever owned.

~ B A D A S S ~
    all of the last 3 pics are just 29ers with drop bars. just saying.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    And?

~ B A D A S S ~
    "relevance"
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If those are wrong, I don't want to be right!

Ambassador of Chub
    "relevance"
    How is a 29er set up m-cross style not "relevant?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    is this monstrous enough?
    I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-dsc04903.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Monstercross on 26er

This is an old stumpjumper 26er. Its an aluminum frame with a carbon fork, so a little rear heavy, but overall at about 19lbs.

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-20170325_144705.jpg

Stumpjumper M4 26er (19lbs)
    XT Drivetrain
    Carbon fork
    Tarmac Dropbars
    Stans Olympic 26er
    Geax Aka Pluma tires (semi slick)
    BB7 road brakes
    -----------------------
    Enthuziast

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Don't post here much, so hi!
    Here's my gt tequesta I got next to free and with I revamped in bikepacking mode.
    Happy trails to y'all!

Sent from my Amstrad CPC 464 using Pica Pica Tapa Tapa

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This bike is not mine
    I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-surly-cross-check-sscx-30224_1.jpg
    Surly Cross Check
    Don't think I've seen it posted before, but I think it's rad and worthy to be posted here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I think this qualifies. I always loved the way some big ol knobs looked on these bikes, but when I really looked at what I am riding and commuting on, a little less aggressive was needed. In doing so, I drank the kool-aid and built up some 650b's for the Kona and put some WTB Horizons on. I am a believer and convert!

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-650b.jpg

Short-Change-Hero
    Isn't this thread in the 29er forum? Did I miss something here?????

AM, monstercross, klunker
    Shut up already, car bone. Unless you coined the term "monstercross" (news flash: you didn't), you don't get to define it.
    I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS

Bite me.

RAHRR

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's mine. A few slight adjustments from new. I run 40mm wide maxxis tires and never think about changing them. Weather commuting or racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    RAHRR

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yep, another SOMA. Great bike though, really digging how versatile this bike is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That is an awesome ride! Can you list off the components? I've been out of the bike business for about 5 years and want to get back in with something like this!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciquta View Post
    RAHRR.
    I can't quite tell...is that the neomax bar? I'm seriously tempted by the various flared bars from ritchey.

mtbr member
    I can't quite tell...is that the neomax bar? I'm seriously tempted by the various flared bars from ritchey.
    no it's venturemax

mtbr member
    ^thanks. Looking closer, I guess I do see all the wiggly bits in the extensions.

How is it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by theMotoMan View Post
    That is an awesome ride! Can you list off the components? I've been out of the bike business for about 5 years and want to get back in with something like this!
    If you are referring to my bike, thanks! I have been tweaking it here and there to get everything just right for how I use it, and I think I have settled on a final build.

SOMA Wolverine, 54cm.
    Ritchey Post and Saddle, with no name bars and stem
    Tektro brake levers with TRP Spyre calipers, RT56 Rotors, 180mm front and 160mm rear
    Microshift 11spd bar end MTB shifter mated to XT 11 spd RD and 11-42 cassette, Ultegra crankset with Wolftooth 36T chainring, Saint pedals for commuting/neighborhood rides.
    XT hubs, WTB i23 Frequency Team rims, with WTB Nine Line 29x2.25 tires, tubeless.
    Blackburn rear rack for kid toting duty and Blackburn frame bag for carrying small stuff.

This bike doubles as my main mode of transport right now - VW bought my car back about 4 months ago and I haven't replaced it yet. Very happy with the ride quality and versatility this frame offers, and that it can fit giant tires! I love the Nine Lines because they roll fast and ride great, and don't weigh a ton like a lot of other 29er tires.

mtbr member
    ^thanks. Looking closer, I guess I do see all the wiggly bits in the extensions.

How is it?
    mixed feelings so far... (I'll try to explain being not a native English​ speaker )

the angle and the flare are right to me, much better than my old woodchipper

Even the 46cm version feels narrover, and gives definitely a more upright position in the drops

the "wiggly bits" are comfy but too far to grab the brake lever with your finger, OTOS they leave less room to grab the drop and so the "bit" pushes hard on your palm... this might be a major issue but I need to test it on a long ride

mtbr member
    ^ thanks.

I don't the woodchipper much either, but I do like "traditional" round drops, so I like the looks of the neomax.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice ride! What is the frame and build on this one?

RAHRR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMotoMan View Post
    Nice ride! What is the frame and build on this one?
    the frame is a custom Titanium size-made

build is:

rd SRAM gx 10v
    cassette Sunrace 11-42 with 32t upfront
    levers apex sram
    brakes avid bb7r mechanical
    hubs dtswiss 370
    rims funforks trailride 35mm internal width
    tires panaracer fat b nimble 29"x3"
    seatpost funn hyperion titanium
    saddle Brooks cambium c17 carverd

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    RAHRR

Gorgeous!!!

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-drakkar.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    NICE! Dron

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pade View Post
    Monstrous Cyclocross bike.

Started as 'wow those are super aggressive tires on a cross bike dude' but that was before a) manufacturers jumped on the trend, making some bikes with room for 29 x 2.4" tires, rendering the early examples in this thread rather quaint, and b) later comers want to be part of the cool kids club and throw pictures of their ugly babies into the mix.
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like the Specialized Sequoia:
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...enture/sequoia

Very versatile for gravel racing, bike packing, and single-track.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-sequoia.jpg  

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    herly ferk now I want to build up a monster cross bike and use it as a commo00oter.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

CS2
    mtbr member
    D
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfish View Post
    This is an old stumpjumper 26er. Its an aluminum frame with a carbon fork, so a little rear heavy, but overall at about 19lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170325_144705.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	1128521

Stumpjumper M4 26er (19lbs)
    XT Drivetrain
    Carbon fork
    Tarmac Dropbars
    Stans Olympic 26er
    Geax Aka Pluma tires (semi slick)
    BB7 road brakes
    That's my kind of bike.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

CS2
    mtbr member
    I like the Specialized Sequoia:
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...enture/sequoia

Very versatile for gravel racing, bike packing, and single-track.
    Nice bike what's the biggest tire you can fit?

AM, monstercross, klunker

Douchenozzles Take Notice

Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    While Article 7, Section VI of the Monstercross Rule Book does mention that monstercross bikes typically resemble cyclocross bikes with larger tires and a more upright riding position, it is superseded by Article 11, Section III, which states:
    "There will always be uptight douchenozzles who attempt to narrowly define the term Monstercross because it makes them feel special. Pay them no heed. Monsters come in all shapes and sizes. RAHRR."

Citation from the person who coined the term, "Monstercross":
    "I call bikes that are more monsterous than cross but not quite a regular 29" wheel mountain bike "monster cross" nobody cares if they are single speed or fixed or geared or whatever, I just thought of this as a way to talk to my customers. As far as this being a trendy sub-genre dont be worried. You can call your bike anything you want. Just say RAHRR. Real monsters come in all sizes and shapes. Elmo is a monster. Godzilla is a monster. There are Gila monsters and monster Trucks. Some would say that bigfoot is a monster, but he's not real like Elmo and Godzilla. Speaking of Godzilla, check out the FuManchu live cover from Germany. Those guys rock!
    cheers, Wade"
    -
    Wade the Vulture
    Source (Post #44, dated 5/22/2006): "monster 'cross bikes" creeping towards world domination?
    Last edited by goto11; 06-22-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Citations

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by goto11 View Post
    While Article 7, Section VI of the Monstercross Rule Book does mention that monstercross bikes typically resemble cyclocross bikes with larger tires and a more upright riding position, it is superseded by Article 11, Section III, which states:
    "There will always be uptight douchenozzles who attempt to narrowly define the term Monstercross because it makes them feel special. Pay them no heed. Monsters come in all shapes and sizes. RAHRR."

"I call bikes that are more monsterous than cross but not quite a regular 29" wheel mountain bike "monster cross" nobody cares if they are single speed or fixed or geared or whatever, I just thought of this as a way to talk to my customers. As far as this being a trendy sub-genre dont be worried. You can call your bike anything you want. Just say RAHRR. Real monsters come in all sizes and shapes. Elmo is a monster. Godzilla is a monster. There are Gila monsters and monster Trucks. Some would say that bigfoot is a monster, but he's not real like Elmo and Godzilla. Speaking of Godzilla, check out the FuManchu live cover from Germany. Those guys rock!
    cheers, Wade"
    -
    Wade the Vulture
    Source (Post #44, dated 5/22/2006): "monster 'cross bikes" creeping towards world domination?
    AMEN!! I submit this here thing...

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-rsz_ritchey.jpg
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anything designed or built by Tom Ritchey is "Monstercross" in my book. Logic?

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-920x1240.jpg

... even if it started out as a 26er.

no batteries required
    Throwing drop bars on a mountain bike doesn't make it Monstercross.

Ambassador of Chub
    Gospel troof.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    ???? If it doesn't have suspension, then yes it does!

~ B A D A S S ~
    NO SH!T!!
    too bad only u and i seem to understand this.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~

cheers, Wade"
    -
    Wade the Vulture
    ok i'll play.

Name:  835602d1380482257t-my-new-monster-road-commuter-bike8.jpg
Views: 2625
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  971597d1426006970-post-your-26er-pics-971594d1426006587t-what-have-you-done-your-commuter-today-.jpg
Views: 2710
Size:  57.0 KB

is this really monstercross?

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wow, some folks take this label very seriously! In reality its as easy as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1vSHauv1VY

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    After getting really into gravel riding I was contemplating getting a Salsa Cutthroat. I got a Wilier-Triestina Jaroon+ instead. Pictures to follow. I have two sets of wheels, the second set has Nobby Nic 29x2.35 tires. Plenty of crank clearance. The outside diameters being what they are the 2.35 inch tires only drop the bike by about half an inch...but they are substantially lighter and roll faster than the Maxxis Chronicle 29+ tires.

Nice bike so far. I hurt my knee pretty badly on my Tour Divide attempt and am recovering but the ten-mile slow rides I have taken are nice. It's a comfortable bike.

The Jaroon+ is the ultimate monstercross bike.

https://www.outsideonline.com/214725...e-29-mtb-tires

wanna ride bikes?
    Converted my Jamis Dragon One. I've been Monstercross curious for a while, had to try it. Pretty fun and versatile bike.

On One Midge bars, TRP Spyre brakes, SLX cranks, Stans Flow rims on Surly Hubs with White Industries freewheel, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1's, Carver Carbon fork.

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-jamis.jpg

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-d2.jpg

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-dragon-1.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member

So, I ask the purists, what is your definition of a monster cross bike, if you are saying a hardtail mountain bike with drop bars isn't? Is it a cyclocross bike with room for 45mm tires? I submit that a purpose built cyclocross bike is a poor role model for the kind of riding we do. Cyclocross racing courses are like nothing where I ride. I don't think I've ever shouldered my bike and ran with it, etc. It's like riding a time trial bike on the road, a purpose built bike for a specific race course. I'd never own one.
    Last edited by MikeDee; 07-26-2017 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blak_byke View Post
    AMEN!! I submit this here thing...

Name:	rsz_ritchey.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	1146245
    I love that bike!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    NO SH!T!!
    For the love of god, enough! The posts arguing about the definition of monstercross are a total snoozefest. Can't we all agree that there's a venn diagram in which monstercross overlaps with several other categories (including without limitation, cyclocross, drop bar 29er, etc.) and just enjoy the bikes? If you don't like one, just move on - no harm done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWS View Post
    I love that bike!

Thank you much!!
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Here's my rig... Purposed for bikepacking and Gravel

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWS View Post
    For the love of god, enough! The posts arguing about the definition of monstercross are a total snoozefest. Can't we all agree that there's a venn diagram in which monstercross overlaps with several other categories (including without limitation, cyclocross, drop bar 29er, etc.) and just enjoy the bikes? If you don't like one, just move on - no harm done.

no. just no.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    if it aint monster cross it aint monster cross, wtf am i gonna say here really?

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yes it does. Just like when I put riser bars and knobby tires on my road bike and it became a mountain bike.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Lynskey GR250
    I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-gr250.jpg
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow, that's what dreams are made of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just finished this build.
    Frame/Fork: Traitor Slot XL
    Headset: FSA Orbit
    Bars: Salsa cow bell 3
    Tape: 2 layers of cotton tape/deda outter
    Shifters: Sram Rival 2x10
    Cassette: Sram 11-36
    BB: Sram GXP
    Chain: Sram PC 1051
    Seatpost: Thompson 26.8
    Calipers: BB7 road s
    RD: Sram GX Type 2.1 Long Cage
    FD: Sram GX 2x10 High Clamp - Top Pull
    Crank: Sram GX 38/26
    Stem: Chinelli Ant
    Seat: takeoff from a Bianchi road bike (not sure what to put on it)
    Rotors: Ashima Ai2
    Wheels: Alex Rims cx5 (spare wheelset I had sitting around)
    Tires: Kenda Flintridge Pro 40mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_20170827_182717.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_20170827_182709.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_20170827_182637.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_20170827_182746.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_20170827_182731.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_20170827_182701.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_20170827_182653.jpg  

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-img_20170827_182644.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    So, I ask the purists, what is your definition of a monster cross bike, if you are saying a hardtail mountain bike with drop bars isn't? Is it a cyclocross bike with room for 45mm tires? I submit that a purpose built cyclocross bike is a poor role model for the kind of riding we do. Cyclocross racing courses are like nothing where I ride. I don't think I've ever shouldered my bike and ran with it, etc. It's like riding a time trial bike on the road, a purpose built bike for a specific race course. I'd never own one.
    Honestly I don't care all that much, but I do have an opinion. A mountain bike with drop bars is a "drop bar mountain bike". This category of bikes has existed probably since the very beginning of mountain bikes, it does not need a new name and they certainly existed way before the designation "monster cross". You are saying that a monster cross bike should not be based on a cross bike. So a Monster CROSS bike should not be a Cross bike? That makes absolutely no sense. Thats like saying a plus mountain bike should not be a mountain bike. To say that the riding that "we" do has anything to do with it is meaningless. Basically if a Monster Cross bike isn't good for the riding you do don't get one, get a drop bar mountain bike. Monster cross bikes are cyclocross style bikes that fit larger tires than typical cyclocross racing bikes. This means the geometry should be similar to a cyclocross bike and designed specifically for drop bars. How big the tires have to be is another matter of opinion. To me it should be at least 38mm or bigger (ideally 40-50), but over 2.0 and you are pushing it.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't care all that much, but I do have an opinion. A mountain bike with drop bars is a "drop bar mountain bike". This category of bikes has existed probably since the very beginning of mountain bikes, it does not need a new name and they certainly existed way before the designation "monster cross". You are saying that a monster cross bike should not be based on a cross bike. So a Monster CROSS bike should not be a Cross bike? That makes absolutely no sense. Thats like saying a plus mountain bike should not be a mountain bike. To say that the riding that "we" do has anything to do with it is meaningless. Basically if a Monster Cross bike isn't good for the riding you do don't get one, get a drop bar mountain bike. Monster cross bikes are cyclocross style bikes that fit larger tires than typical cyclocross racing bikes. This means the geometry should be similar to a cyclocross bike and designed specifically for drop bars. How big the tires have to be is another matter of opinion. To me it should be at least 38mm or bigger (ideally 40-50), but over 2.0 and you are pushing it.
    You care way too much. Does it offend you if I post a drop bar mountain bike in the monster cross thread?

So, if my bike has identical geo but fits 2.3's (even though I'm running 2.1's) it's not a monstercross bike because it was originally intended as a MTB?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

no batteries required
    You care way too much. Does it offend you if I post a drop bar mountain bike in the monster cross thread?

So, if my bike has identical geo but fits 2.3's (even though I'm running 2.1's) it's not a monstercross bike because it was originally intended as a MTB?

Like a mtb isn't a cross bike so, yep pretty much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChknNRice View Post
    Just finished this build.
    great job man!

those rival shifters are so sexy...

mtbr member
    To me it should be at least 38mm or bigger (ideally 40-50), but over 2.0 and you are pushing it.
    IMO you are focusing too much on the "cross" and not enough on the "monster".

Yes, MONSTER means you have to push it... I wouldn't be scared by a monster with 38mm toes roaring at me

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbasher View Post

Name:	IMG_0891 (1).jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	1122579

Name:	IMG_0884 (1).jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	1122580

Name:	IMG_0879 (1).jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	1122581
    Not exactly sure what to call it. But I really like it. It looks indestructible.

#THELEGEND

*NEW* Soma Wolverine v2.1 frame

Keeping with the Monstercross vein, here is a pic from the Soma site of the new v.2.1 Wolverine being released 9/2017 with stiffening plates added near the dropouts.

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-soma_wolverine_2pt1_orng_web1.jpg
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail (Alu)

no batteries required
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Keeping with the Monstercross vein, here is a pic from the Soma site of the new v.2.1 Wolverine being released 9/2017 with stiffening plates added near the dropouts.

Name:	soma_wolverine_2pt1_orng_web1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	1154851

Can also get that with a thru axle fork as well.

#THELEGEND
    Can also get that with a thru axle fork as well.
    Yes you can Unicrown Thru-Axle Fork for Wolverine | SOMA Fabrications
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

no batteries required
    Bike Tires Direct has some pretty good deals on the V.1 frame and fork sets.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...erine-frameset

mtbr member
    Monster cross has no established definition. If I want to say that a drop bar mountain bike is closer to my ideal of what monster cross bike should be, than it has as much validity as your cyclocross based definition. Cross doesn't have to mean cyclocross. To me, it's a word that implies on and off road.

mtbr member

I'm looking to build a light, rim brake monstercross/gravel bike. It must be able to use 45 mm tires. Anyone got a recommendation for a frame or complete bike that's not custom made or very expensive?
    Last edited by MikeDee; 09-01-2017 at 07:22 AM.

#THELEGEND
    I'm looking to build a light, rim brake monstercross/gravel bike. It must be able to use 45 mm tires. Anyone got a recommendation for a frame or complete bike that's not custom made or very expensive?
    Soma Saga DC, I know it fits canti and V's, also takes a 700 x 47mm tire, not sure if the rest fits your needs but worth a look

Saga DC Frame Set (Disc/Canti) | SOMA Fabrications
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    The Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross is exactly what you need:

Home - Black Mountain Cycles

I have one, a very nice riding and versatile frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

My monster

Ride 10 miles to the trailhead and rip.

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-babymonster.jpg

mtbr member
    As far as I know, there are only a few niche companies offering what they are calling monstercross bikes (e.g., Black Mountain Cycles, Bruce Gordon). Anyone have a list?

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    As far as I know, there are only a few niche companies offering what they are calling monstercross bikes (e.g., Black Mountain Cycles, Bruce Gordon). Anyone have a list?
    No list but you can add the '17 Kona Sutra LTD to the 'list'. I have 2.25 Nine Lines on mine and they're awesome with room to spare.

mtbr member
    What wheel size are you rockin there?

mtbr member
    I have a new Raleigh Stuntman. I love this bike!

I can't post pics for some odd reason???

wanna ride bikes?
    monstercross bikes (e.g., Black Mountain Cycles, Bruce Gordon). Anyone have a list?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    add the '17 Kona Sutra LTD to the 'list'. I have 2.25 Nine Lines on mine and they're awesome with room to spare.
    Soma Wolverine
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sweet bikes here, makes me a little sad I can only cram a 45mm tire into my 2008 Salsa La Cruz.

On the issue of definitions, I feel the occasional need to point out little facts like that Tony Pizzo rode a single speed bicycle across the country 3 times in 1919, wearing a Navy sailor outfit, while handcuffed to his bike. Bicycles are all nearly identical, if viewed by an outsider, and cross bikes, road bikes and mountain bikes are so closely built in nearly every objective measure that they can only be considered close siblings. Asking "is it REALLY monstercross???" is like asking if my brother should change his name because he left the house in a suit today rather than a pair of sweatpants.

Big tires, no suspension and drop bars sounds like a fine recipe for monstercross to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

mtbr member
    May 2014
    NO SH!T!!
    Monstercross: What it really is & where it really came from
    Taken from that link............

"It’s this humble beginning and the do-it-all approach a monstercross bike offers is why I’ve devoted a chunk of time over the last 12 years to studying it, riding them, and keeping people informed. The appeal to monster cross is that you can’t really do anything more....or less....with it. It’s really just a bike that fits up to 45c tires & has dirt drops. I can’t define it beyond that, there is no ‘marketing’ to be done. As someone who’s had a self-designed custom frame that’s worked just fine for 5 years so far, and likely will go at least 20 more, my only meaningful tweaks have been subtle ones: Trying various handlebars, experimenting with rim widths, experimenting with tires/tire combos front & rear, trying different stem angles (25 degrees btw seems to be a sweet spot for me), changing out bar tape, and playing with gear ratios as a singlespeed setup. But otherwise, that’s it. In those same five years I’ve owned 4-5 fat bikes and easily 5-6 mountain bikes."

I don't know what is up with some people that seem to have a negative opinion about what makes any type of bike one of those types? Just ride man and shut up.

3 pics of my Wolvie
    I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-wolvie.jpgI Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-wolvie2.jpgI Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS-wolvie3.jpg

wanna ride bikes?
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Iowamtb again!!

Cool bike, and I like your house too.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    May 2014
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Iowamtb again!!

Cool bike, and I like your house too.
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mosso has been pretty good. Nothing flashy, but it works well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Wow. New to this forum and all but seems like a lot of misconceptions about monster cross stem from this thread. Friend just told me about it because he saw mine and yeah...this thread seems to be where the myths started for sure.

So, i was there when Matt Chester (father of monstercross) was exploring dirt drops. First on 26" then 29. He offered both on his old site and usually just for flat bars but would tell people if they had old WTB dirt drops he could custom fit for optimized positioning. Then WTB came out with the Mutano Raptor in a 44mm and Matt went nuts over it. About the same time, Brant at On-One teamed up with Shiggy to release a dirt drop handlebar, The Midge. Matt loved it. He then started offering a separate bike option on his site optimized for the new 44mm tires as you could use road cranks (lower q factor-better power transfer). Still offered 26" & 29", and he originally called monstercross a "big tired cyclocross bike" until his buddy Wade at Vulture said "Hey that looks like a Monster Cross Bike", important to note that Wade was very familiar with Matt's other drop bar mountain bike creations over the years, but it was this bike with a dirt drop/44mm wide tires that made him coin the term. Yeah, he would later say "whatever works" but he was also hungry for work and he eventually stopped making frames (a crime he's out of the biz, but that's another story).

I remember that once Matt went to monster cross it was all he could think about. Wish I could ask him what he thinks of all the new tires as I recall hearing how he wished there was more than one option and heard he hoarded as many WTB's as he could when it was discontinued.

He honed in this idea for such a bike because he was an eccentric guy who believed in truly living with the bare minimum. This wasn't marketing, he was just fascinated with how a monster cross rig split the difference between a full on cross bike and a mountain bike perfectly. He'd ride to Vail for this radio show he did at night (from leadville, year round) on this rig a day or two a week. Stay with a friend or GF (can't recall), then ride back the next day. He'd rip local single track with ease on this bike, but seen riding pavement too. He really was fascinated with the idea of such a bike because any short comings the bike had, a rider who honed their strength/skills could make up for. Kinda funny to hear people yell "it's all marketing" because the concept of monster cross came out of his distain for the industry constantly trying to tell people to be a better rider you needed bigger tires, more suspension, lighter bikes, and oh yeah...replace every few years and upgrade...mentality of the industry. He believed in pushing how to be a better rider, had blog posts on nutrition, value of simplicity, importance of really spending time on getting just the right setup, and having fun. Really the kind of stuff everyone against the what's truly monster cross claim to believe in. Pity he had all those head injuries back when TBI's weren't well treated or well known about, that is what cost him is career and sent him into deep depression his close friends would say.

To Matt, a Monstercross/cyclocrossy bike with room for big tires, was an exercise in what the bare minimum of a bike you need to ride a bit of everything efficiently. He built them in titanium because it would last forever. He'd eventually get deep into single speeds then finally only fixed gear as prt of that self imposed challenge. Often talked to people not about what the lightest/coolest parts were but what budget stuff (Like old Square taper BB's) you could use forever. He did rim brakes only as discs were expensive, but also because they meant sacrificing ride quality. He liked that anyone could find pads for rim brakes anywhere. He even experimented with Powergrips and became a master at setting them up....because he wanted to own only one pair of shoes and didn't think you should have to buy special shoes to ride. The guy was pretty deep and highly intelligent. Sort of a zen master kind of human being it was hard not to admire.

It's kinda a pity this story is lost and never told, but then Matt didn't care about being in magazines and rarely one for the internet. He wasn't trying to make it big by creating such a bike, heck people still laughed at 29ers at that period in time in Colorado. I really think these beginnings and origin would make people really appreciate the reason it's such a cool genre. I own a lot of bikes, but my canti brake generic monster cross single speed was always my favorite and having a variation of such always will be.

I think it's easy to make fun of the purists, but thing is once you actually build a true monster cross bike with say a Soma Junebug dirt drop bar with Bruce Gordon Rock n Road Tires. Ride it to work, to the grocery store, rip singletrack, etc.. on it. And be sure to set the dirt drops up right (Start with flats even with saddle then go up or down after that), as that riding in the hooks position is really what makes the setup shine vs a flat bar or standard drop bar. I have yet to meet anyone who's done this that argues with the purist definition. Even pushed a few friends enough they finally tried it...and then boom, they refer to the other bike as their dropped bar mountain bike. Which btw, is hardly an insult when you consider one of the most sought after vintage bikes ever, Cunningham, was a drop bar mountain bike design. There has never been anything wrong with calling such a bike such, not sure why people take offense, but it's all because people don't know their history very well.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. New to getting on this forum (or any) because of other injuries my local shop/friends can't answer and stumbled upon some monster cross threads. Seems like a lot of anger towards purists which is surprising, so thought I'd share some history.

Here are some great sites for further reading:

5 Meters of Development:
    Matt's personal blog with focus on setup, minimalism, music, and health. Won't find any "check out this carbon widget" stuff on here or mention of something being light without mention of its' longevity as well.

5 metres of development.

Best interview with Matt I can recall outside of a local paper once. Not even a big name cycling blog which somehow makes it cooler:
    Large Fella on a Bike: FBQ #11 Matt Chester

Handbuilt Bicycle Guide Origin Article:
    Best single article on the topic in the modern era. Kinda blew me away anyone else other than a handful of people from back in the day knew so much.
    Monstercross: What it really is & where it really came from

Monstercross News:
    Just a fb page with no ads. Hardly a guy making money "marketing" the term. Often posts pics of old touring/hybrid frames to build into monster cross bikes with model/year so people can search for such. It's been around for 10 years. Always has the latest tire applicable to share from 38mm-50mm. Also posts dirt drops and often takes pics of them side by side.

https://www.facebook.com/Monstercrossnews/

I still have to laugh at how many comments there are about this being a marketing ploy. No one makes a production monster cross frame. No big company (or any) offers a complete monster cross build. You really have to go to a builder to get a dedicated monster cross frame still, and well if it puts money in the pockets for small builders I can't think of a better group in the biz to get the $$$. In the end, the only company making lost of money of of this is MTBR as this seems to be the longest running/deepest thread on this site. By leaving it unmoderated and keeping the arguments going it draws soooo many people through to this site. Eyeballs matter in advertising. Creating opposition gets eyeballs in media. Looks like even I have now contributed to this cycle. But hey, if a few people are educated on this now, build a purist monster cross and love it...maybe pay a builder...I'm all for it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Sorry to hijack this thread but this is on the subject of turning my Soma B side into a monstercross so here goes.....

For some reason I am really wanting to remove the Jones bars, hydro brakes and levers, and rear 10 speed dyna sys deraileur, and replace them with cowchippers, sram levers and rear derailleur, and BB7 road discs on my Soma B side. This is the exact setup my Wolverine has except it has cowbell 3 for the bars. Something about the big fat 2.4 tires I am running that seems like it would ride so nice on Iowa gravel with drops. Thats basically what I got my Soma Wolverine for but heck what's wrong with having a drop bar MTB for primarily gravel and bike packing to compliment your drop bar gravel grinder right? Am I looking for a reason to waste money lol? If so please talk me out of it because I am looking at around $380 for all the stuff.

The ETT length on my B side is actually longer than the ETT on my Wolvie (600/604 compared to 587). So I don't think drops would be an issue at all. The one big difference is the BB drop is huge between the 2 bikes (70 for the Wolvie and 46/39 for the B side).

I think that the drops feel better for my tricep tendonitus and right hand numbness although I really do like my Jones bars. My right hand goes numb on a long ride but it happens a lot faster on my Jones bars than it does on my other bike with my cowbells.

Just seeing all these cool monster cross bike pics with fat tires is turning me on. I do little singletrack (maybe 1-2 times per year) and mainly ride gravel and dirt roads and double track at times. I am open for opinions.

Members who have read this thread: 500