Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    beater

I ask you Banshee Prime or Yeti SB95?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Not trying to hijack, but since the people who know are here, but Banshee Prime or Transition Covert? Both seem to be very similar in spec and purpose. I've never ridden either brand and neither are in my LBS.
    Yeah, they do. Do you know if you prefer a mini link or a single pivot suspension? If not, I'd say pick the one that looks the nicest to you. Sizing is a little different between brands. IIRC, my L Prime is almost exactly the same reach/stack as a XL Covert.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Yeah, they do. Do you know if you prefer a mini link or a single pivot suspension? If not, I'd say pick the one that looks the nicest to you. Sizing is a little different between brands. IIRC, my L Prime is almost exactly the same reach/stack as a XL Covert.
    I'm looking for a true all mountain bike that can pedal uphill about as well as a 30 lbs FS can, I enjoy climbs because I enjoy the descents. I know single pivots have been improved, but it still seems like the mini-link is the way to go, if only in that regard.

Honestly I like the looks of the Banshee more. Comparing the two monetarily, it seems like it would be the more expensive of the two, as well.

beater

I ask you Banshee Prime or Yeti SB95?

Mine climbs well. Despite the weight, I prefer it to my Yelli Screamy unless it's a moderate grade or smooth. I've done quite a few multi 1K climbs with it, and although it requires a diesel gear for the burly build I chose, it just goes. Obviously I like my bike, and I don't want to do the MTBR "My bike is the best!" thing, but I think Banshee have done a great job with this frame for that purpose. But I don't see any of the Covert owners complaining, either.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

reading comprehension wat
    I've seen Sandy Ridge in vids and always wanted to ride it. I think they're both sort of overkill. Kind of built too heavy, in my eyes.

I've ridden the SB95 and I've talked with a guy who owns a WFO9 with a Dorado, who demo'd the SB95, and wound up getting a Prime (I think to replace the WFO9, which was too beefy/heavy for the trails we rode). He's under 6' and not a lightweight, and he thought the Prime was more suited for him. He gave me the impression that he thought the SB95 wasn't beefy enough for him.

While the SB95's geo, ride feel, looks and suspension dynamics are top tier, it's not too hammer friendly and is heavy at 29 lbs without pedals for the XT build. I think it has a very sensitive and relatively linear suspension feel, better for ultimate traction and control, so good that it makes things easier to ride. The only effort you even need to think about is just keeping the pedals turning and keeping the front wheels pointed where you want to go. It's a like technical cheater bike. Seeing how you're coming off a steel HT, which I consider are fairly stiff and solid feeling, I'm assuming you like to get out of the saddle, since that's something that's naturally done when on a HT. The Intense Spider 29 Comp has the almost the same geo with a 0.5" longer ETT than the SB95, but their VPP2 is a bit more hammer friendly, and the carbon tech is supposedly good. Since it's lighter, I figure you'd be wanting to go with a more aggressive trail build with it, rather than AM.

I'm thinking the Pivot Mach 429 (and carbon version) and RIP9 RDO are good alternatives too. If the SB95 carbon version ever comes out, I'd be interested in checking that out, personally. Don't have to go heavy for durability, I would like to think, but I'm a short and light Asian fellow and recommending frames and parts are somewhat out of my scope of knowledge/expertise. Honestly, the only times I really broke stuff was on my old heavy Kona with Deore level parts--I think lighter higher end parts are made both strong and light (not cheap though).

Actually, would a 29er FS even really make sense for such flowy trails? I fear a 29er FS might just want to roll over all the rollers, whereas a 26" would find opportunity for some sweet air. I'm trying to imagine how much a Santa Cruz Blur TRc would rock on those trails, but then again, I don't know clydes too well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Lynx - I was thinking 2x10 XT group with either e thirteens or I9's on Flow EX rims. I am on the fence about getting the CCDBA. I kind of think the climb feature on the RP23 could be nice for my purposes.

dv8xin - I'd agree that the Prime and other long travel 29ers might be a bit over kill for Sandy. For the last two years I have been riding my hardtail there without losing a smile. That said I think at bike like the Prime or SB95 will open up lines and inspire hits that weren't feasible for me before. I should note that as a clyde I flex the hell out of my steel Salsa and Sandy and pretty much everywhere else.

When investigating Sandy Ridge I think you might have seen a video of Hide & Seek which is more flow than some of the upper trails like 338 and rock drop IMO. The other aspect is that I also ride place like Cold Creek/Thrillium, Black Rock, etc. A bike like we're discussing fits in nicely there.

Keep on Rockin...
    Great thread.

The Prime looks like a great AM machine. I always thought the weak link of the 29er was the dished (Oopps... I meant dished, not dishless...) rear wheel. If I had the cash and and need for a full-bore AM 29er it would likely be the Prime with a King/Flow EX rear wheel build. The downsides would be a weighty bike that might be over kill for most trails. The other would be there is still probably not a fork to match that sort of rear. Maybe when a RS makes a 29er Lyric.

On the other hand if I were a clyde, I might go the Prime route even for a trail bike. At my weight, for routine trail duties I'm looking at a lighter weight LTc.

Without trying to incite a stir, I do think that AM will likely end up being owned by the 275.
    Last edited by Miker J; 03-18-2013 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Great thread.

The Prime looks like a great AM machine. I always thought the weak link of the 29er was the dishless rear wheel. If I had the cash and and need for a full-bore AM 29er it would likely be the Prime with a King/Flow EX rear wheel build. The downsides would be a weighty bike that might be over kill for most trails. The other would be there is still probably not a fork to match that sort of rear. Maybe when a RS makes a 29er Lyric.

On the other hand if I were a clyde, I might go the Prime route even for a trail bike. At my weight, for routine trail duties I'm looking at a lighter weight LTc.

Without trying to incite a stir, I do think that AM will likely end up being owned by the 275.
    With a 150mm rear hub, the dish of my rear wheel is pretty nice. Not all 150mm hubs are created equal, though.

You know, I'm riding my Prime much more than I thought I would. At 165 lbs, I'm no clyde, but since I've moved to an area with more chunk, it's just a more fun ride. I built my bike up fairly light, and granted at 31 lbs it'll win no awards for weight, but on rides where I'm just having fun I don't mind the additional 6 lbs over my Jet 9. It's a very efficient bike, which is more important than weight imo.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

MTB B'dos
    Red, can't go wrong with the new XT, great bang for your $$ and most definitely in the brake dept. Since I got my XT 785 brakes what I will attempt now has changed, as I just have more control of my speed and the ability to bring the bike back in check if i go off line and need to correct.

As to if to get the CCDB, if you're a clyde, that's a no brainer, most definitely get it, lots more adjustment than any non piggyback Fox. As to the fact that you're a clyde, then the Prime makes even more sense, since as you say you flex stuff and I'll find it hard to think you can flex the Prime Like you say, it WILL open up your thought process on what you can ride and in looking at the trail differently and where you might have gone around before, just go straight through/over with the Prime.

IMHO the F34 is about the best out there right now, well, the old Float version with FIT, not sure about the newer ones with CTD, but in a few months the Trace from X-Fusion should start showing up and that most definitely has my attention and I think that it will compare comparably to the F34, but for a good bit less $$. I've just received two of their Velvet's (straight and tapered)and the quality is top notch, and also their 02 RL shocks for myself and a friend and also very nicely constructed and working nice. In the future I'll be looking to get their Vector AIR shock for the Prime.

FYI, like Bholwell, I'm a light weight at only 170lbs nekked and 6'2", but the Prime is just so fun that I take the weight penalty (34lbs for my XL, with XT and Pro2/Flows) because it just makes the fun stuff funner PLUS, it's fun to out hammer the guys on the 23-24 S-Works and Ultimates that cost about twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRiver View Post
    Lynx - I was thinking 2x10 XT group with either e thirteens or I9's on Flow EX rims. I am on the fence about getting the CCDBA. I kind of think the climb feature on the RP23 could be nice for my purposes.

dv8xin - I'd agree that the Prime and other long travel 29ers might be a bit over kill for Sandy. For the last two years I have been riding my hardtail there without losing a smile. That said I think at bike like the Prime or SB95 will open up lines and inspire hits that weren't feasible for me before. I should note that as a clyde I flex the hell out of my steel Salsa and Sandy and pretty much everywhere else.

When investigating Sandy Ridge I think you might have seen a video of Hide & Seek which is more flow than some of the upper trails like 338 and rock drop IMO. The other aspect is that I also ride place like Cold Creek/Thrillium, Black Rock, etc. A bike like we're discussing fits in nicely there.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    With a 150mm rear hub, the dish of my rear wheel is pretty nice. Not all 150mm hubs are created equal, though.

You know, I'm riding my Prime much more than I thought I would. At 165 lbs, I'm no clyde, but since I've moved to an area with more chunk, it's just a more fun ride. I built my bike up fairly light, and granted at 31 lbs it'll win no awards for weight, but on rides where I'm just having fun I don't mind the additional 6 lbs over my Jet 9. It's a very efficient bike, which is more important than weight imo.

I meant to say the weak link is a dished, not dishless, 29"wheel on an AM bike.

My bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I meant to say the weak link is a dished, not dishless, 29"wheel on an AM bike.

My bad.
    That's what I thought you meant to say. You'll have a dished wheel on every rear hub except a SS hub- not a 29er issue.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Let us know how you like your choice. I have been scaling back my FS needs and am just down to my Paradox but this new crop of 29ers are making me want one bad.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The Prime has been ordered and the build will start this week. Once complete I'll snap some photos and give my initial impressions of the ride. Thanks to you all for the insight and discussion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Finally on the road last week... Incredible bike, I still can't believe it. The things I am able to do on this bike for someone who is 40 is ridiculous. couple foot drops, jumps with freakin' ease (just like the BikeMag video guys stated... it lifts!)

switching out things slowly... WTB Silverado is incredible, even for 230-ish 6-2 me, top heavy. I may have gone for the XL believe it or not, but I think the longer Thompson stem coming should do it, I just need a little.
    Had to get a Cane Creek 110 as the Banshee headset wasn't available... and the PointOne Podiums are tits.

I agree with one of the forum members, not sure if it's even this post about the white Manitou fork... It's ok, but I don't like the white. it's like they do this on purpose so you go for the black. Had one shop tell me to take it to a automotive bodyshop and get it painted...with a serious face! haha. I'll probably go the Fox route, but I did see WhiteBros have a sharp black offering in the 29er shock black category, 'round 800 I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I ask you Banshee Prime or Yeti SB95?-img_82642a.jpg  

You like the Silverado? After 2.5+ hours on that thing, my sit bones are on fire. To be fair, 2.5+ hours on a Rocket V, my ass feels sore, but not in a pin point area like the sit bones. My overall riding is much more dynamic (another way of saying, out of the saddle) with it on my bike though. I have no urge to change it out; I'm more or less interested in hearing opinions from others on it, as I didn't think it was a popular model compared to the Rocket V and others. I actually tried to get another one, but it turned out to be a turd "Test Ride" version, with steel rails and crappy padding (not the nice DNA padding) and cover.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I couldn't believe I took to the silverado either... I think it's all about sitbone placement in your skeleton as opposed to it leaning more towards actual weight. but, to each his own. I want the Pure V, but the Rocket is more race I think... The Silverado has really helped me to relax with all of these small seat offerings. And I'm not up to 2.5+ hours on the Prime yet, but soon. :-)

MTB B'dos
    Nad, nice looking Prime. Don't think the white fork looks bad, not optimal, but not bad. As to the suggestion by your shop, don't laugh at them, it's actually a great suggestion. I painted the lowers on my Minute dark blue to go with my old bike, looks a bit weird to some maybe on my silver/orange Paradox, but the finish has held up and I could easily change the colour and this was a rattlecan job, proper automotive paint would be more durable.

Have to agree, love WTB saddles, but no the silverado, was glad someone else liked it enough to offer me some cash for it. My fav 3 WTB saddles - PureV, LaserV, RocketV, PureV being my fav - and most anyone who rides my bikes tend to agree that they're just comfortable, even if they're accustomed to other brand saddles.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

All this bike saddle talk got me to check out the Specialized saddles. As much as people criticize Mike Sinyard's business tactics, including bashing other brands with dealer e-mails, the saddles are surprisingly well received. Too expensive for me though. I'd rather toughen up my ass than pay $80+ for a new saddle.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

She's here

Well my Prime got hear yesterday. After a brief issue with the headset she's up and running. Our first romp in the dirt is tomorrow. If my initial impressions hold true I'm in for a wild ride . Here are the build specs.

Frame: large raw
    Fork: fox float 34mm 140mm
    Rear shock: fox ctd
    Components: shimano xt 2x10
    Crank: race face atlas 175mm 26x38
    Wheels: Stan's flow ex
    Hubs: industry 9 torch
    Stem: race face atlas 50mm
    Bars: race face atlas 785mm (probably going to cut these down a bit)
    Seat post: reverb
    Pedals: black spire
    Weight: just shy of 32lbs

More insights to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I ask you Banshee Prime or Yeti SB95?-image.jpg  

I ask you Banshee Prime or Yeti SB95?-image.jpg  

MTB B'dos
    Looks pretty good, can't see if you managed to get the matching purple ano hubs, looks like a see a hint there in the 2nd pic, but hard to tell. Very brave BTW, can't remember the last time I saw someone with purple ano bits recently So how come you went with the CTD Fox over the CCDB air?
    Well my Prime got hear yesterday. After a brief issue with the headset she's up and running. Our first romp in the dirt is tomorrow. If my initial impressions hold true I'm in for a wild ride . Here are the build specs.

More insights to follow.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The hubs are matching. I know I went out on a limb with the purple, but it is my favorite color. Personally, I think it looks dope and is definitely a break from the old red and blue.

I went with the CTD for a couple reasons including cost, weight, and lock out capability. It was a tough call though. It gives me something to upgrade in the future should I find the CTD underwhelming.

mtbr member
    Very nice!

I initially went with a 50mm stem, then settled on a 60mm.

Looking forward to hearing your ride report!

Not Bad
    Very nice indeed! I too am considering these two bikes at the moment. Looking good.

MTB B'dos
    Dude, if you like it, then that's all that matters Problem with the likes of the Ano Purple is you don't find stock parts coming with it to fit in nicely, so going with blue/red just makes it easy to incorporate them. I have seen one guy remove such things as fork controls etc and had them anodized to match the other ano parts he'd chosen - think orange or some such. Had my Prime now for over a year and toying again with the idea of stripping it to have it refinished in a nice warm yellow PC or maybe a candy yellow that will go well with my blue ano parts - local colours are blue, yellow/gold and black.

The hubs are matching. I know I went out on a limb with the purple, but it is my favorite color. Personally, I think it looks dope and is definitely a break from the old red and blue.

I went with the CTD for a couple reasons including cost, weight, and lock out capability. It was a tough call though. It gives me something to upgrade in the future should I find the CTD underwhelming.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah the wife ribbed me a bit about the purple, so I am a little sensitive. That would be pretty sweet to get a custom powder coat and match everything up. Maybe you could even get a trident graphic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast