mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Hutchinson Toro Tubeless Ready tire...?

The guy I spoke with at my LBS was pretty excited about this tire, but the online reviews seem to be mixed. So, I'm curious if any forum members have tried it, and what you thought.

The one thing I can say for sure is that the claimed 2.15" width is a little generous. Seeing it mounted on the same rim as an Ignitor 2.1", the Ignitor is definitely slightly wider.

Here's a link... http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/ca...vers=5&pid=100

Thanks.

Steve

Harmonius Wrench
    I've got one. It is narrow. Maybe a 2.1 at best on a wide rim. Makes a decent mud tire. It is grippy, has a bit of rolling resistance due to the knobs.

Too bad Hutchinson didn't make it bigger. I think it could be a great trail tire, but it is too narrow as it is now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks. I was actually just reading the review on your website.

I like the sounds of the extra sidewall protection that Hutchinson built into this tire. But, the narrowness, as you said, is a downer. (Although, it would probably be OK as a rear tire.)

Are there any other XC tires out there with extra sidewall protection and more acceptable width (at least a true 2.1) that aren't pigs?

You've tested a LOT of tires. What would suggest for someone 200lb riding a full rigid SS aggressively on rooty/rocky terrain that's looking for a good balance between durability (sidewall cuts, etc) and weight? Right now, I'm running an Ignitor 2.1 rear and a Rampage 2.35 front.

Steve

Just Ride!
    I like it better than any other front that I have used which includes Python, MotoRaptor, and ExiWolf. The cornering is great, but as Ted mentioned there is a bit of rolling resistance. Also, as is the case with any Hutchinson tire I have tried, they mount and seal easily.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I have one, and use it for a everything tire since I torn ignitors 3 weeks in a row at races. after switching to this tire I havent flatted once and have took some top 5 with it as rear tire in the open SS class in Western Pa. I also no longer worry about a tire getting torn apart to shred when it looks at rocks.

It really not that much slower than the ignitor and it has alot more traction corning and pedaling up loose climbs, it sheds mud fine and rides pretty great in it. In fact I have found no weakness as a rear tire at all. I have yet to use it as a front tire but I didnt have problem with front tire durability because I run suspenion fork up front. I run a 2.25 Ardent on front. The tread is exactly the same as the Bulldog CX tire BTW.

FYI it also mounted up with a floor pump using the split tube ghetto tubeless method.

bottomline is you have to finish to place and with this tire I have been finishing and placing nearly everytime with it. there might be more rolling restance but overall I think I go fast down trail because a. I am not worried about killing the tire b. it actually grips everything even wet roots and rocks really well.

bicycle rider
    I had a Toro / Python combo on my 29er SS. Nice, nothing great about them, definitely narrow.