mtbr member

How will this affect handling?

Hi all,
    My wife has a Trek Cali 29er, and I'm curious how the following 2 alterations would affect the handling:

1. Swap the stock Suntour XCM fork for an X-Fusion Slide. The Suntour has the Trek G2 geometry with 51mm of offset, but the X-Fusion Slide has 46mm of offset.

2. Swap the stock 80mm stem for a 60mm stem.

Trek's website lists the head angle at 69 degrees.

The X-Fusion fork has an axle-to-crown length of 506mm. I can't seem to find the a-2-c of the Suntour

Any ideas on what these 2 changes would do to the handling?
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    She probably will not notice the slight difference in offset because the new fork is 2lbs. or so lighter. The weight reduction will improve the turning responsiveness. The fork is many times better at handling bumps and less flexy so she will ride with more confidence and fun. You will need to dial it in.
    Stem size affects riding balance. You can change bar height and width and seat post offset to get a riding postion that gives you good balance going up and down hill. She should try out the shorter size. The other options can also be changed if needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    She probably will not notice the slight difference in offset because the new fork is 2lbs. or so lighter. The weight reduction will improve the turning responsiveness. The fork is many times better at handling bumps and less flexy so she will ride with more confidence and fun. You will need to dial it in.
    Stem size affects riding balance. You can change bar height and width and seat post offset to get a riding postion that gives you good balance going up and down hill. She should try out the shorter size. The other options can also be changed if needed.
    Thanks for the reply! I'd been told that the shorter offset will make the steering slower, but I didn't think about the massive weight difference. Good point.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The shorter stem can make steering less twitchy and more relaxed. You can add bars with rise and sweep to change things up. The bars can be rotated back too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: How will this affect handling?

Measure the A 2 C on the XCR, mine ended up being around 517mm and my X-Fusion Slide RL2 was around 507mm (both at 100mm).

My XCR is not a G2 version but I could swear the Slide has more offset but I am not sure. Also it seems like the axle is held closer to the stanchions on the Slide vs my XCR. Whatever the cause though, my Slide feels faster to steer than my XCR...but it is not G2 model.

Where did u find the offset for the Slide? I've been curious about that.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Measure the A 2 C on the XCR, mine ended up being around 517mm and my X-Fusion Slide RL2 was around 507mm (both at 100mm).

My XCR is not a G2 version but I could swear the Slide has more offset but I am not sure. Also it seems like the axle is held closer to the stanchions on the Slide vs my XCR. Whatever the cause though, my Slide feels faster to steer than my XCR...but it is not G2 model.

Where did u find the offset for the Slide? I've been curious about that.
    Thanks for the A-2-C info. Your non-G2 may very well have less offset. I didn't see it listed on the Suntour site, I don't think all Suntour forks have the longer offset. Just the ones made for Trek. But on Trek's site, it lists it as 51mm. And for the Slide numbers...I called X-Fusion