Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    I can see this post has degraded....goodbye.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    I say we neg rep bob69by back to something rivaling DC. Make him our boy.
    Hate all you want. I have way more positive than negative rep in this thread. And no. I did not rep anyone positive or negative. The rep thing is actually kind of dumb now since the give me rep thread started.. Rep is meaningless here, rep on the mountain is where it matters.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Went together fairly easy (I've never done it)... I took my time, probably over two hours or so. Everything is done except the grips/minor adjustment to the handlebar, and the rear derailleur needs adjusted. Overall, the whole bike is pretty well assembled (no loose nuts, rattles, etc). I'll probably order a new stem and a Garmin Edge 200 in the coming weeks.

mtbr member
    Congrats on your build man. Here is a tip to take the mystery out of rear der adjustment/indexing.

Set your high and low limit screws. To set the high, disconnect the cable. The der will automatically spring out to your highest cog. Visually align the upper jockey wheel to just on the outer edge of the smallest cog using your high limit screw. Now pull the derailleur by hand up to the lowest (biggest cog) and adjust your low limit screw so the upper jockey wheel is just to the outside of the largest cog, but will not go past that point even by forcing it with your hand.
    Now, run your barrell adjuster clockwise all the way in until it stops. Then back it out counter clockwise one full turn. Attach your cable, making sure your shifter is in the highest gear. Pedal the bike and shift down one gear. (it probably wont shift). While pedaling, turn the barrell adjuster counter-clockwise until it shifts. Done. It's indexed and should be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    Hate all you want. I have way more positive than negative rep in this thread. And no. I did not rep anyone positive or negative. The rep thing is actually kind of dumb now since the give me rep thread started.. Rep is meaningless here, rep on the mountain is where it matters.
    The new rep system has you showing up as the neg repper. At least be honest and don't lie about leaving it
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Run for office...

"I build in 15 to 20 minutes also and I AM a tech." ....Your words verbatim, and the reason you gave me negative rep.

Seriously man? That was the reason you negative repped me? Unless you have doubts about your build quality in that amount of time, I can't see the psycology in feeling the need to negative rep someone because they simply said that a solid build in the majority of cases is not going to be accomplished in that amount of time.

No need to get vindictive because another members opinion on a matter differs from your own.

...and I still won't neg rep you...it's pathetic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    and hey, to the OP...Good work man! I'll eat my words.

*edit* sxshep isn't the OP, woops!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Then you're slow. Really slow. You just might be the guy I was hired to replace. We would have laughed and made fun of you. Whats not to understand? When you build these things day in and day out it's second nature.

1. Open box. (5 seconds)
    2. attach seatpost and pull bike out of box and clamp on to stand. (30 seconds)
    3. tear off packing (20 seconds)
    4. attached bars and tighten levers and shifters. (60 seconds)
    5. mount front wheel and adjust front brake (60 seconds)
    6. adjust back wheel and brakes (60 seconds)
    7. Pump front and rear shock. (60 seconds)
    8. Air up tires with shop compressor (30 seconds)
    9. Attach pedals (30 seconds)
    10. Adjust front and rear derailleurs (90 seconds)
    11. Take a drink of favorite beverage (60 seconds)
    12. Check wheel tru (30 seconds)
    13. Secure and torque all bolts. (180 seconds)
    14. mount reflectors (60 seconds).
    15. Record serial number and affix price tag to owners manual (60 seconds)
    16. Remove bike from stand and make any final saddle adjustments. 60 Seconds
    17. Test Ride.

If I am not mistaken, that's around 14 minutes there.

WIN.
    So this is why I don't want a cheap bike from any manufacturer set up at your shop. A cheap bike will most likely have the axle cones to loose or two tight. 150 miles down the road the cheap wheels are now toast. The cheap wheels will most likely have insufficient spoke tension, how about Headset tension, again a hand full of rides and guess what, do you see where this is going?

To the OP , check CL , there are qualified mechanics working at home who moonlight or are out of work and are quite willing to spend a hour or two at $ 25.00 a hour to take the time to set up your bike correctly and will then make a free cable tension adjustment after a few hours of saddle time while showing you how to do it yourself.

I bought a 2012 Trek Wahoo for my wife so she could try the 29er thing. It was a smoking used deal from CL from a collage girl whose Daddy had bought here a mountain bike because he was into it . She wasn't so I got a essentially new Trek with all the maladies I described above plus a squealing front brake which is the reason the girl dumped it for half of new. This bike was set up by a Trek dealer doing the 15 minute set up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3