mtbr member
    Apr 2013

How to fix scratches on frame?

I own a Giant 2013 XTC Composite 29er 3 and I've noticed some scratches on the frame of it. My question is, how can I fix these scratches? I came back from trail riding, then washed the bike and noticed them a few worse than others. It's just annoying that the paint is black, but it shows everything when sun hits it. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Light scratches can be polished out using automotive finishing techniques. That's too involved for me to type out, just google how to detail a car and polish out small surface scratches. For deeper scratches (meaning, you can catch your fingernail in the scratch) you'll have to fill the scratch with more clear coat.

For me personally, I just ignore them. It's a mountain bike. I try to avoid giant gnarly rock rash, but scratches are irrelevant. If you have some localized areas that are accumulating a lot of scratches from cable/shoe rub, then you can apply "Helicopter Tape" to those areas for extra protection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thank you for the quick response. They do seem light, well I hope. I never fell off the bike so I doubt they are that deep. So I would assume it's only a clear coat scratch (surface scratch). Would this product work if I rub a little bit of it on? http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...tCarPolish.png

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I use sticky backed reflective tape to cover scratch prone area's and matching 29er only color nail polish on other area's not prone to a second scratch. But, as car_nut said, it is a mountain bike, ride, it leave it dirty, ride it some more, let it get scratched, and then be proud of your bike which now has some character instead of one that looks like you don't use it for it's intended purpose.
    Last edited by PB Matrix; 04-25-2013 at 01:47 PM.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Like others have mentioned, make sure you use 29er specific nail polish imo.. The 26er stuff may compromise the frame's strength and always looks feminine.

You can find the 29er polish at Jenson.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated it. Well I'll stay away from painting it because that's the last thing I want to do haha. It just seems like it's surface scratches that may of been done while at the shop. So maybe a bit of polish can correct the surface scratches? I'll give it a try if anything... if it doesn't work then I'm fine with it.

Today was the first time I took it out... my god can the bike perform.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Crash a few more times. The more scratches you have the less you'll notice them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoranbiker View Post
    Crash a few more times. The more scratches you have the less you'll notice them.
    Or stop washing your bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    its a tool, not a jewel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a TBc in Orange and when I wash it I use a wet Magic Eraser over small surface scratches and scuffs. That usually helps. The deeper scratches, you'll just have to live with, but like some of the posters replied- it's just a mountain bike. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well... I noticed the paint near the crank fading. I think the carbon fiber is showing through the paint. It's not noticeable but knowing how I am, I notice everything haha. I just rubbed some wax in that area for UV protection. Eventually I'll stop babying it, it's just a bad habit I have with new things lol

The perfessor
    hence, Ti 29er frame with the polished-look.........always looks good...........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Id be more concerned if you had none. Remember, It's a mountain bike, not a Kidney in a cooler. Ride it like you stole, and don't sweat the little stuff.