mtbr member
    Feb 2008

How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.

So this came in the mail, and I had a feeling that it would be a close install on my 2009 Lenz. The bike is a early gen Behemoth with 6 inch rear travel. Essentially a Lunchbox with a 135mm rear spacing, instead of the 150. First thing first. .....
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4443_zps254e0357.jpg

A little background of my bike. I ran the 2005 Manitou Dorado until the new 29'er dorado was available. Some might remember my " how to tune your dorado for your 29" thread. I was on the original RP23 from FOX, but have since the beginning been unhappy with its performance on anything over 3.4-4 inches of ALL MOUNTAIN riding. With the availability of the new inline, I decided to pull the trigger.

Overall dimensions are the exact same.
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4444_zps4d807630.jpg

First thing was to remove the teflon bushings from the inline.
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4445_zps0437f355.jpgHow to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4446_zpse8437abd.jpgHow to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4447_zpsbd8b2218.jpg

Then install the new hardware I bought from FOX. It was a straight carry over.
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4448_zpse068d6fe.jpg

Then with the bottom bolt installed, it was clear that I had to move something.....
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4449_zps4dc17107.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4450_zps67d3c57a.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4451_zps48d4bd77.jpg

2.5mm minimum was needed...
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4452_zps3d84f55e.jpg

I had two options. Either move the bottom shock mount forward, or clearance the frame. I have done either many times before, and decided that clearancing the frame was the best option.
    First the area was marked....
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4453_zpsfc256574.jpg

Then a special tool had to be developed....
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4454_zpsd695bcfd.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4456_zps42a24f02.jpg

Now, before you spit out your coffee all over the keyboard, I would like to add that clearancing is quite common, and it really is a factor of how you can stomach it. A few notes to follow though. Round chisel.... NOT pointed, or square. Small blows, NOT large ones, to slowly massage the alloy into it's new shape....
    Let the carnage begin....
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4457_zps1ba5abd1.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4458_zps15393bfc.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4459_zpscf6e992b.jpg

Almost there....
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4461_zps2fbed61b.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4462_zps84e1d455.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4464_zpsfc28275a.jpg

The eagle has landed....
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4468_zps44b9d567.jpgHow to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4469_zpsfec302e3.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4470_zpsd80832b0.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4471_zps1f1d1220.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4474_zps1ed4ce18.jpg

The area clearanced, was sanded, and painted.
    So after checking foll stroke, there were no interference noted, as the shock assy, moves forward. Sag was set, and a short hop over the curbs, confirmed that this is one amazing shock. More to come later, but here are a few more pictures....
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4475_zps4b98f6e4.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4476_zpsd99e46b3.jpg

1mm at it's narrowest point. When the fork strokes, the shock moves away from the frame...
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4479_zps55c8a8da.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4480_zps8d9ce62e.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4481_zpsf14c9850.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4482_zps11ee78e5.jpg

Enjoy...

Erling

This place needs an enema

Always willing to go the extra mile!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Always willing to go the extra mile!
    Ha ha.... Well of course Mike...
    I am expecting to have several riders relieve them self of their morning espresso, reading this. I was in the need of a better rear shock, and clearancing is not that big of a deal, when done right.
    Your rear wheel is still holding up great....

Erling

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sometimes people are too uptight. It's one thing I like about an AL frame vs Carbon.

I had backpedaling problems with my Lunchbox and a non dished front ring- which is all that would clear stock chainstay. Little grinding on the chain stay to fit the stock dished GPX spider and ring- backpedaling issue gone.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Sometimes people are too uptight. It's one thing I like about an AL frame vs Carbon.

I had backpedaling problems with my Lunchbox and a non dished front ring- which is all that would clear stock chainstay. Little grinding on the chain stay to fit the stock dished GPX spider and ring- backpedaling issue gone.
    Bingo....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    God love you, man. I assume running it can up wouldn't have solved the problem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You actually can run it upside down. And while it does fit stock, it is not as user friendly as the climb lever it hard to reach, and during full stroke is very close to the down tube.....
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4505_zps2ea012e3.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4507_zpsa140ce02.jpg
    How to fit the new Cane Creek DB Inline on your OLD Lunchbox, or Behemoth.-img_4508_zps973e83bf.jpg

Erling

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    First ride.....
    I can sum it up fairly quickly...... Amazing.
    Shock stays engaged great in the steep up and overs.....Less skidding.
    On the downhill side, it felt more like i was on a cushion of air. I felt very little movement on steep shaly rocks, with 6-8 inchers tossed on the trail. Tracked very well, to the point I thought of how little movement the rear end had. After the ride, I saw the rubber band indicated that I had gone through all 6 inches of rear travel. I had no clue, as it never had a hint of bottom out. Used about 160mm of the 173 mm in the front. I weigh 220 with all armor and gear, and 230 psi yielded about 28-30% sag.
    A bit much, but I thought good for a starting point. I will leave it there for now. I have not messed with the tune, and have left it as it came from the factory. It really brings out what that bike is worthy of. The RP23 that it came with was holding that beautiful bike back.
    Very well recommended.

Erling