mtbr member
    Jul 2014

How do you dial in the suspension?

Hey guys,

I'm in need of some help...

I just bought a Tallboy LTc and am having a bit of a hard time dialing in the suspension.

I can't seem to quite nail the ride to how I want it.

I'm 260 lbs and 6'2...

Do you guys have any rule of thumb that you follow when it comes to suspension setups...sag, PSI, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Short-Change-Hero
    XC riding should have both shock/fork set while sitting on the bike and you should start at about 25% sag and adjust from there. Depending on how aggressive you ride and what not you will have to play with it.

Tires are more of a personal preference. I like to run mine low, low 20s even down to the teens, my buddy runs no lower than 28psi which I feel is hard as a rock. So really its all about feel for you, your bike, and your terrain.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There should be a spec for air pressure for your weight. Then adjust to get the right feel.

The voodoo (IMHO) comes in with rebound and damping (if adjustable). I've found that I can really feel the difference in the bike's behavior from even very small adjustments. Just ride and tweak.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I finally fine tuned it. Man, it's SOOO nice now. The only thing I can say is that the rear fox float is a bit lifeless. I'm going to get the Cane Creek DB Air and bolt that on. Should improve things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Try running slightly higher rebound on the Float - it doesn't feel right on flat ground with the higher rebound (a bit springy), but when actually pedaling and working over stuff, at the higher loads the Fox valving seems to behave a little bit better with the rebound a couple clicks higher in my experience. On my FloatCTD (RM 'Custom' Valved) at 230lb, I run it two clicks away from maxed +Rebound, and I love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah I did that...fine tuned it, man it flies now! Looking to upgrade the rear suspension to the RT3 or DB Air now...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Do take a bit of time to fiddle with the rear tire pressure - I was able to find a pretty solid range where I was happy with the feel on the rear without having to shell out for a fancier shock, although TBH the CaneCreekDB looks awesome, but I know I'd spend more time tinkering with it than riding the thing for the first month.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkerBike View Post
    Yeah I did that...fine tuned it, man it flies now! Looking to upgrade the rear suspension to the RT3 or DB Air now...
    Might be worth a shot to shoot Santa Cruz an email asking for a recommendation based on your riding style, terrain, size/weight, etc. and see what they come up with. If there was more information I would say not to disclude the Manitou Mcleod.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    So I figured I would post this as I think they are very well written articles giving piece meal information on how to set yourself up. As being a new FS rider the reactions of both suspension components had me baffled on setting it up and my buddy, who has ridden FS for many years, just went through and adjusted a few things for me asked how it felt and bam it has been great aside from adjusting pressures here and there with some fine tuning on the trail (to be expected).

Part 1 - Set your SAG properly
    Part 2 - Run it Wide Open, Mostly
    Part 3 - Set Compression and Rebound to Maximize Traction
    Part 4 - Fix your ride by Adjusting Air Volume
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)