MTB B'dos

How deep are the cups on your 44 External lower headset cup?

As the thread title asks, how deep does your headset go into your 44mm ID headtube, or how deep is your 44 HT reamed? Ask as I have a Giant Trance '05 and wanted to run a tapered steerer fork on it, however it's only reamed to 10mm and the cup I got has an insertion dept of 15mm. Wondering if they need to be that deep or could I machine off 5 mm to make it work? Unfortunately from my measurements it could only maybe ream out another 2mm, but no shop has such tools down here.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Different headsetsets have different insertion depths. I've seen some that were almost 1" but I've seen others that were a lot less. You might want to try a different headset, some Cane Creeks have a shallow insertion depth that might work for you. Otherwise I don't think machining the one you have down will really hurt anything but I don't like doing that unless I really have to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    IIRC, Cane Creek's EC44 has an insertion height of 12mm. Their website has diagrams to refer to as needed also. It would have less to shave off the cup or less to ream out of the head tube that way depending on what tools you get a hold of.

MTB B'dos
    Silly me, forgot that Cane Creek has proper drawings of their headsets, think I even downloaded the PDF already a while back, will take alook. Still though, was just interested what sort of depth manufacturers are using now that 44 ID HT's to run tapered forks are so popular. Guess the deeper the better, but if using for XC I can't quite see the need for a deep insertion cup. This headset might just get kept and used on my future steel HT frame and just buy a CC lower EC44 and use.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

FM
    luxatio erecta
    My 44t headtube experience.

Cane Creak is definitely a safer bet, they use pretty short skirts and they're chamfered. But regardless I think you'll need to have your frame faced & reamed. If the head tube is externally butted, and you ream the inside out too much, could be bad news....

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it looks like CC uses a 15mm insertion depth as well on their EC44 cups, might have to call to verify as I'm not spending any more money if this isn't going to work, I'll just get a straight steerer fork instead an sell this one. Plan was to use the external cup on a Velvet set to 100mm using a 650B wheel, with the external cup which would give me slightly slacker angles and the stiffness tapered steerers offer. The not bad news is I think I have a buyer for the tapered Velvet if I can't get it to work. Pic of the bike below and HT - it's an original '05 Trance.Attachment 782628Attachment 782629

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    My 44t headtube experience.

Cane Creak is definitely a safer bet, they use pretty short skirts and they're chamfered. But regardless I think you'll need to have your frame faced & reamed. If the head tube is externally butted, and you ream the inside out too much, could be bad news....
    How deep are the cups on your 44 External lower headset cup?-69er-trance-650b.jpg
    How deep are the cups on your 44 External lower headset cup?-p1070109.jpg
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Category Winner
    Going a bit from memory here, but before Cane Creek got their specs up, I had a frame built for the EC44. They (the frame builder) only reamed it to 10mm because that was as deep as it needed to be IF I used a zero stack. The Cane Creek EC44 ended up being @12mm if I remember correctly.

Being that the frame was made on the other side of the continent (and north of the border), I took a Ryobi sander to the headset. I shaved it down to the point that the chamfer was gone. It went in. Biggest issue being that the surface for removal was missing and the cup was flush inside the head tube. When I recently had the frame refinished, I had to get creative with the HS removal.

Keep in mind, I only had to remove the chamfered section. The headset still has just as much frame to cup contact as before.

I also just got a Carver 420. It takes a ZS headset. It was not reamed out deep enough, and I had to take off 1-2mm to get it in the frame. That was a bit disappointing since the specs are all out there now.

I found the post. It was 12.something mm.

Bad Idea Racing: My little package

Last edited by teamdicky; 03-20-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.