Thread: how to clean ti

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

how to clean ti

Hi! I cleaned my ti 29er first time yesterday. Used ordinary soap and water (just like my steel and aluminum bikes in the past, then was going to apply wax or silicon spray. Noticed that there were water spots on the ti.

What should I do different?

29er content- My ti bike is 29.

Thxs

John Voss
    Miami FL

Recovering couch patato
    I seem to remember to have heard that window cleaners work well. Maybe try the spray-on bottle type on the uderside of the BB just to make sure it's safe?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

flexiflyer

The way to do it...

Wash as normal, dry, and then spray a light mist of Lemon Pledge (using the "aerosol" style can instead of the "trigger squirt" kind of container) over the whole frame. Let it sit for a minute and then wipe it off with a clean rag or paper towels. It is important you do this either inside or in the shade.

This is the way I finish frames leaving the shop (a trick I learned from Gary Helfrich). The Pledge removes water spots, repels fingerprints, leaves a nice luster on the frame, etc. It doesn't last a long time as a "wax"...but it does the job well without building up over time.

Try it and you'll see!

MC

Bored

Two suggestions

I use Pedro's Bike Lust quite frequently. For Dusty, or light dirt conditions, it's a great way of giving a great finish on the frame, as well as protecting it. It is a silicon emulsion(?) solution which is supposed to pull dirt out of the frame. As an added bonus, it makes your frame smell like chocolate (although others dispute this).

I've also used silver polish on Ti frames as well. I've cleaned polished aluminum that has lost its luster this way.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Tall Bird Legged Rider
    Jan 2004

crussell

Quote Originally Posted by jvossman
    Hi! I cleaned my ti 29er first time yesterday. Used ordinary soap and water (just like my steel and aluminum bikes in the past, then was going to apply wax or silicon spray. Noticed that there were water spots on the ti.

What should I do different?

29er content- My ti bike is 29.

Thxs

John Voss
    Miami FL

John,

You are going to think I am strange, but I use armour all. Keeps everything on the bike clean and happy. Not much sticks to this stuff.
    Chad

Are those your legs? Or are you riding a chicken?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

two words: lemon pledge

i'm serious - lemon pledge (buy your local drugstore's knockoff version for way cheaper) is recommended by a lot of top ti companies for giving your frame that brand new lookin' luster. your bike looks great, repels dirt, and your garage smells lemony fresh to boot.

Home of the Gravedigger
    I took a tour of the Moots factory and the had all the new frames hanging up coated in Lemon Pledge. They spray the frame, let it sit for a while and then wipe it off with a microfiber towel. I usually wipe mine off first with a bucket of dawn/hot water with a microfiber and then pledge it. Don't use scotchbrite ever if you have a nice satin bead blasted finish like a Moots or Eriksen....it will ruin it and you will need to have it refinished.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Google search will keep you busy for days.

Not even bike specific, much less 29er. Filter your water or wipe it down instead of air-drying, or clean it after the fact, or just ride it - because it's a bike, not jewelry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    besides looking good a coating of Lemon Pledge etc prevents crap from sticking to the frame and makes subsequent cleaning much easier.

Motor racing teams do the same with various parts like wheels to prevent buildup of brake dust etc.

mtbr member
    Having cleaned Ti frames for years, Lemon Pledge is the way to go. Learned this from James at Black Sheep. I use an eco friendly cleaner lightly, dry, than apply the Pledge. Works great! Just make sure it's dry first.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Kent Eriksen recommends Lemon Pledge too. That seemed like a good enough recommendation for me.