mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope Pro II or convert Chris King Classic hubs to disc?

I would like to build a new wheelset this year, and I have two options - convert an old set of CK hubs, or buy a new set of hubs, probably Hope (seem to have the best reputation for the price). Price is somewhat a limiting factor, so I am probably limited to about $500 max for the whole wheelset.. I have an old set of Chris King Classic hubs, non-disc, that I could convert to disc hubs, for about $200 (price for a new rear shell, new front shell, and new front axle).

Is there any reason not to use the Chris King hubs? A new set of Hope hubs would cost $50 more, but the CK hubs have about 5 years of use on them. I have performed the full overhaul on the CK hubs so feel comfortable taking them apart, a friend has all of the tools to disassemble them, so it would just be my time for swapping the shells.

Steve

conjoinicorned
    as an official King whore, i say stick with the CK's....although at 5 years the warranty is up so that's a hard choice, there's nothing wrong with the hopes. if the Kings still feel good, i'd think it was worth it to upgrade them
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    as an official King whore, i say stick with the CK's....although at 5 years the warranty is up so that's a hard choice, there's nothing wrong with the hopes. if the Kings still feel good, i'd think it was worth it to upgrade them
    I didn't even think about the warranty. I purchased them used, so they really have not had a warranty since I have owned them.

Steve