mtbr member

Homemade Tire sealant - what's your formula?

So it's been quite a while since I posted here and I haven't been riding my MTB all that much any more but winter is upon us so I'm trying to get back to riding my MTB again.

Last time I made my "Stan's Sealant" was quite a while ago. Mold Builder Latex, water and a splash of Slime. Has there been any changes to make a better home brew sealant? I just ran out of Mold Builder Latex and was planning on ordering some more - before I do I thought I ask to see if I should be processing with something better.

Thanks,
    Michael

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Everything you need...

...and more:

Best Tubeless Brew?

Flaccid Member
    There was a thread in the Arizona section ( where cactus is king of all trails) about a homebrew made out of Latex caulk sealer in a tube (think Alex brand) and windshield washer fluid.

Do a search in that section. That was far and away the most cost effective batch made.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Doooood, just buy some Stan's. No one wants to wait 30 minutes again for you! One bottle should last you a long time.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    latex/mold builder: x1
    water: x3
    pepper 2-3 tablespoons per tire.

Slime is heavy and rotates slowly. Ammonia really isn't needed if you just inject more brew or change it out every month or two. Really, a ride takes 2-3 hours and it takes 20 minutes to make more and inject both tires. It's not that big of a problem.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't understand why someone needs to make their own tire sealant?

rhetorically speaking of course.....do you make your own cleaning products too?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Don't use window washer fluid.
    Certain tires wheep the solution through the side walls, because the soap in the solution lowers the surface tension to much.
    Had this prob with Racing ralph, not with a Bonty ACX tlr.
    My mixture: 2p water, 1p latex, 0,5 p slime and I also added 0,5p windshield washer.
    One advantage over the stan's stuff: if I swap tires, I can peel the latex/slime coating from the inside of the tire much easier.
    Remains fluid longer too.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyBiker
    I don't understand why someone needs to make their own tire sealant?

rhetorically speaking of course.....do you make your own cleaning products too?

Stan's is overpriced, or your own solution is less than half the price of Stans, and it lasts 2 to 5 or 6 times or longer than Stans.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Really, is it a lot of work to make?

I use Stans and reuse a very large amount of it when I switch out tires. I rarely have a blowout or puncture that causes a major drainage, usually a thorn or sharp twig/branch but nothing crazy because I try to avoid major trail hazards.

Thanks for clarifying though, I didn't know that homemade sealants lasts longer.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If your local Michael's craft store stocks Mold Builder latex, you can use this 50% off coupon TODAY ONLY:

http://mic.michaels.com/images/20110...LP/coupon1.gif

Worked for me today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012