mtbr member

Help! Thoughts on these bikes!

First time poster here, I'm sure you guys have a lot of knowledge on these three bikes (or brands) so I figured I would ask a few questions!

I'm looking for a Hardtail 29er for around the city + Pittsburgh has a lot of parks and trails that are paved, gravel and dirt.

The budget is around $900-$1200

I've being looking at:

Airborne Seeker
    Marin Alpine Trail
    Felt Nine 60

The main questions I have, which of the three would you say has the best quality? And since I wont be doing any hardcore off-roading or thrashing of the bike, should I save the money and get something a little "lesser" or go with one of these?

And if anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to that as well.

Thanks a bunch guys!

mtbr member
    Bit biased because I have a seeker on order. But looking at the components the airborne is in a different league. The Guardian compares better to the other bikes and the trek cobia compares better to the seeker.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL SRAM XX1

unrooted
    I own a Motobecane Fantom which is similarly spec'ed to the Airborne, I am currently spending a fortune trying to drop just a few pounds off it.

Buy the Airborne, unless you don't have any mechanical aptitude. If you've never worked on a bike but feel like you could change the brakes on your car then buy the Airborne and whenever you need to fix it look at this website: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog

It's cheaper to buy tools and fix the bike yourself than to pay someone, and if you thoroughly screw up the part you're fixing it will still be cheaper to buy parts online, plus you learned how to do something new.

If you're freaked out about working on your own bike then you should probably buy the bike from a GOOD bike shop. Good being one with employees that take time explaining something until you understand it, include at least a year of maintenance on the bike and don't talk down to you. FYI, there are very few bike shops in this country that do that, most are full of know-it-alls that have no patience or social skills. IM(Very)HO

Just remember that any bike is more fun than no bike, and bike shops tend to dislike Airborne and MOtobecanes and will treat you accordingly.

mtbr member
    ^^ Thanks guys

I placed my order for the Airborne about 2 days ago, I'm looking into upgrading small stuff on it as soon as it comes in, things like the grips, seat, bars...etc etc.

I think the Seeker is going to fit my riding style and the trails around here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Help! Thoughts on these bikes!

I absolutely love my nine 60, after changing a few things it shines going up and down.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zzaapp View Post
    First time poster here, I'm sure you guys have a lot of knowledge on these three bikes (or brands) so I figured I would ask a few questions!

I'm looking for a Hardtail 29er for around the city + Pittsburgh has a lot of parks and trails that are paved, gravel and dirt.

The budget is around $900-$1200

I've being looking at:

Airborne Seeker
    Marin Alpine Trail
    Felt Nine 60

The main questions I have, which of the three would you say has the best quality? And since I wont be doing any hardcore off-roading or thrashing of the bike, should I save the money and get something a little "lesser" or go with one of these?

And if anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to that as well.

Thanks a bunch guys!
    The last Felt niner I rode (SS) rode like a brick chithouse, the seat and chain stays have no imagination (shaping) not sure if they were butted, but there are many better riding frames available imo.

EDIT: Heavy fork, low grade crankset and BB, older 3x9 drivetrain, supposed to be good tires but I have not tried these.

Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    I own a Motobecane Fantom which is similarly spec'ed to the Airborne, I am currently spending a fortune trying to drop just a few pounds off it.

Buy the Airborne, unless you don't have any mechanical aptitude. If you've never worked on a bike but feel like you could change the brakes on your car then buy the Airborne and whenever you need to fix it look at this website: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog

It's cheaper to buy tools and fix the bike yourself than to pay someone, and if you thoroughly screw up the part you're fixing it will still be cheaper to buy parts online, plus you learned how to do something new.

If you're freaked out about working on your own bike then you should probably buy the bike from a GOOD bike shop. Good being one with employees that take time explaining something until you understand it, include at least a year of maintenance on the bike and don't talk down to you. FYI, there are very few bike shops in this country that do that, most are full of know-it-alls that have no patience or social skills. IM(Very)HO

Just remember that any bike is more fun than no bike, and bike shops tend to dislike Airborne and MOtobecanes and will treat you accordingly.
    X 10,000..................................

EDIT: RS Reba is great fork at about 3.6 lbs.

AIrborne Seeker looks great and is well spec'd for the price, 3.6lb. fork, newer 2x10 drivetrain, good hydraulic disks, external BB with nice crankset, tapered steer tube.

Marin Trail is very low spec'd imo, 5 lb. fork, older 3x9 drivetrain, I have no experience with Tektro Draco 2 Hydraulic Disc, octalink BB is low grade BB and crankset, only 1.125" steer tube, nice tires imo.

Wheels, prolly about the same between all three....HTH
    Last edited by Natedogz; 07-22-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...