mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Help setting up Manitou Drake 29er

I bought a leftover 2009 Manitou Drake 29er off Ebay. The fork apparently has "the new 2010 Absolute Plus Dampening System in it." I have no idea what that means.

I bought it to replace the Rock Shox Tora that came on my 07 Jamis Dakota.

However, it didn't come with an owner's manual. I'd appreciate it if someone had some advice on settings for a 190LB rider. What clickers do what? There's a blue knob at the base of the tube and a red knob on the right tower.

I also don't fully understand what the red knob on the right fork tower does. It appears to click in + and - settings to what appears to be a full lockout. I want to make sure it's ok to run in full lock out (for climbs) or if I should avoid that setting.

Any advice is appreciated. I bought the best fork I could afford so please don't tell me I should have bought a Reba or a Fox.

mtbr member
    the knob only affects low speed compression which is needle based, under high speed impacts the oil can travel through a separate shim based circuit so the fork won't break if you forget to unlock it and bomb down the hill like other models.

mtbr member
    See this link: http://twentynineinches.com/2009/11/...t-impressions/ It should provide some answers.

It is a different fork, but the gadgets for the compression, rebound, and air spring all work the same. It helped me figure out how to operate my Manitou.

Bite Me.
    The Drake is a coil fork with air preload. You add air to the left leg to set your static sag - typically 25% of the of the total travel when you are just sitting on the bike - use a zip tie to indicate the amount of sag.
    The right leg has rebound damping on the bottom - set if half way and adjust on the trail as needed. The top dial is compression damping - all the way to the left is full open (minimal damping, super plush but lots of brake dive). Dial it to the right to firm up the compression to eliminate dive, but still keep the fork supple on small hits. 2-3 clicks is usually good. If you want to lock it out, turn it all the way over to the right. It's totally your preference. Running it locked out won't hurt it, but the ride will suck. That's all.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Any idea what air pressures to start at? I picked up one on Ebay as well, and unsure where to start. I weigh 167lb plus add another 15lbs with Camelback and gear.

mtbr member
    I have the '09 Drake with Absolute plus upgrade, and am around 195 lb. I run the rebound (bottom) knob at about half way out, compression clicker at around two from full fast (or locked, on the road), and about 35 psi, IIRC.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. Every post helped me in some way. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Where do I add air to this fork? I took the cap off the top of the left leg and it's a straight drop down to the coil.

The top of the right leg has the Absolute Plus knob (red knob)... I can't figure out where to add air as I know I need to adjust sag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any takers? I can't find the valve that would let me add air. Is it under the Absolute Plus knob? I'm confused.

mtbr member
    just guessing here, but what about the bottom of the left leg (since the coil is on top)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    just guessing here, but what about the bottom of the left leg (since the coil is on top)?
    Top of left leg has a foo foo bolt that unscrews. There's some plastic cylnder that can pop out. Then there's a gap down to the coil. I can see the coil and grease.

Bottom of the left leg has a black nut that I've unscrewed. When I removed the nut a little oil flowed out and I assumed it was a drain bolt.

I never saw any kind of schrader or way to add air.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009