mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Help select a 29er HT....$2500 or less

My regular ride is a Motolite FS. I also have a Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS, but I've found that the rigid SS isn't for me (so I'm selling it). I'd like to get a 29er HT. Something that moves out (although I don't race, I find myself lagging behind all of the 29ers in group rides when on my Motolite) and climbs well. Most of the trails I ride are not particularly technical, but some (such as Wissahickon in Philadelphia) are pretty rocky and have some technical downhills and climbs.

As I said, I don't race....I'm more of a XC/Trail rider. So, the question is which 29er HT to get? I found a really good deal on a 2012 Stumpjumper Carbon Comp that puts it at the top of my price range. Once I put my my Stan's wheels on it, it will probably be just over 23 pounds. The geometry is definitely leaning more towards XC/racing. I like the carbon because it's obviously lighter than alu and it is more forgiving, but is it worth the $ premium and should I be concerned about durability (taking into account falls, rocks, etc)?

Other possibilities are:

Stumpy 29er Comp aluminum - same geometry, a bit heavier, same equipment and less expensive

Giant XTC 29er aluminum - very similar geometry to the SJ, but the 2011's have a 100mm Fox fork

Motobecane Titanium 29er - $2000 with full XO, but suspect wheels (which I'm swapping out anyway) and crankset

Any suggestions or other thoughts? BTW, how is the Reba SL fork? Is it worth finding a bike with a Fox 100 instead?
    Last edited by sbermhb; 01-11-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Typos

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I purchased a 2011 Stumpjumper Expert carbon Evo R 1x10. Previous owner put maybe 40 miles; one ride made him decide a long-travel FS was a better match for his ability and trails. Not a scratch on it, stock build except for the much-better & brand new Stan's ZTR Crest wheelset. I paid $2350. Got rid of the uncomfortable stock seat for my favorite WTB Devo and pitched the heavy stock seatpost for a Masterpiece setback. Running tubeless. Weighs less than 21 pounds.

I have a few Fox and Rock Shox forks. My preference is RS. Seems to get full travel and is more supple though the entire stroke than the Fox.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have nothing good to offer. However, I'm also going between a Stumpjumper Comp. and a SJ Carbon Comp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Soul Cycles Dillinger

AZ
    banned
    One that fits well.

Fast bike-slow rider
    Depending on how you ride- I cracked my Niner Air 9 (older scandium frame) and went to a ti Salsa El Mariachi. I rode quite a few of the carbon bikes before making my frame purchase and I am glad that I went with a ti frame. It may not accelerate like a carbon frame but it really does not beat you up on longer rides like aluminum or even carbon does. So my vote is for a ti frame or carbon if you can't do ti in your budget. As far as forks just make sure you get a thru axle fork. I am 190lbs geared up and I can feel the difference between a QR fork and the 15mm Fox thru axle fork that I ride. I have ridden the 20mm Maxle and it didn't feel any stiffer than my Fox with the 15mm. If you are lighter this may not make a big difference, but for me on technical trails the steering/front wheel tracking feels much more precise with the thru axle forks.
    Jesse
    Salsa El Mariachi Ti

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you can stretch your budget a bit,another vote for Salsa El Mar Ti

Apr 2007
    Do you like the geo and fit of the Monocog Flight? What about getting a derailleur hanger, gears and shocks for it?

If not, I'd also check out Scott and Orbea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I feel the 2012 Scott Scale Expert 29er carbon HT offers the most for a rider's dollar if you want a brand new mtb.

mtbr member
    I rode the Giant XTC composite and that thing is pretty sweet! I think you can get the XTC 1 for under 2500.00

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

XTC vs SJ

I took a closer look at XTC 1 carbon specs vs. the SJ Carbon Comp specs. The SJ does have a higher list price, although I have found it at a very nice price. The SJ has an X9 rear dérailleur vs. the XTC's X7. The SJ has Avid Elixir 7 brakes vs. lower level and heavier Elixir 1's on the XTC. However, The XTC does have a Fox fork vs. a Reba SL on the SJ. So, it seems like the SJ is a lighter build with some better parts (although I do prefer Fox over RS). I have heard that Specialized's warranty and crash replacement coverage is better than Giants.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    As long as you're the original owner Giant is 100% awesome about warranty. Specialized....not so much. They have stipulations up the wahoo about what qualifies for warranty.

[QUOTE=sbermhb;8901974I have heard that Specialized's warranty and crash replacement coverage is better than Giants.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Trek G.F. Supefly, either in Aluminum or Carbon. You can get the latter for $2,400.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    You may also want to consider the 2012 StumpJumper Evo HT, it comes with a 100mm Fox fork. Seemed like you swing that way over the 80mm Reba.