mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Help a recovering roadie: 29er Wheels and Tires for the East Coast (VT)

I posted this in the Wheels forum, but realized I might get a better response here.

I live and ride in the East and will be building up a Jet 9 RDO.

I weigh 165, ride XC almost exclusively and will participate in at least one 50mile race each year maybe getting up to 2.

Having been on the road for the past 10 years, I am out of the loop on wheels for 29ers.

Budget? $600 max. Looking for blend between weight and durability since I am not a wrench and want my wheels to just work. I'd like the option of going tubeless

As for tires....Again, I have not real clue, but this is an area where I'll sacrifice durability for a good wheel in my root, rocky, can be muddy terrain.

Thanks for any help

mtbr member
    ztr arch

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

American Classic

I've had good luck with American Classic 29 wheels. My LBS services, and sells at a large discount vs buying online.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I posted this in the Wheels forum, but realized I might get a better response here.

I live and ride in the East and will be building up a Jet 9 RDO.

I weigh 165, ride XC almost exclusively and will participate in at least one 50mile race each year maybe getting up to 2.

Having been on the road for the past 10 years, I am out of the loop on wheels for 29ers.

Budget? $600 max. Looking for blend between weight and durability since I am not a wrench and want my wheels to just work. I'd like the option of going tubeless

As for tires....Again, I have not real clue, but this is an area where I'll sacrifice durability for a good wheel in my root, rocky, can be muddy terrain.

Thanks for any help
    The most important part of your 29"er will be the wheels. I would not scrimp $$$ wise - especially considering the cost of the rest of your bike. A poorly performing set of wheels will diminish the overall ride of your RDO FS. You want something that brings it to life.

I would go stiff and light since you'll be running a FS RDO. Carbon rims may not be the cat's meow on a hardtail, but they sure are on a 29"er FS. Light Bicycle 29"er carbon rims could come close to meeting your budget (depending on your hub and spoke choice as well as the charge for the build). I run one pair of the AM wider carbon rims on one of my bikes and they have been golden to date.

http://www.light-bicycle.com/

Off the shelf, the NoTubes stock 29"er Crest, Arch or Flow wheels meet your budget and meet your goal of tubeless and riding needs. Crest will be the lightest and have the most flex, Arch in the middle, and the Flow will be the durable AM/Trail widest tire profile choice.

I've run and raced Crests, Flows, and carbon rims on my JET 9 (alloy version) and RIP 9. These days I use carbon rims on those two bikes as they are game changers.

As I mentioned in another post on this forum, contact Mike Curiak at LaceMine29.com. He builds 29"er wheels right and will work with your budget and offer several solutions to meet your needs. He's tried it all as a rider and built it all - enough to know exactly what works and what doesn't work.

BB

mtbr member
    I'm also on the East Coast (Northern NJ). I've been up to Mountain Kingdom in Burke VT to ride. Need to go back again some time but I digress.

Last spring I bought a set of SUNRinglé Charger Pro. They are in the $600 price range, are a great looking, stiff and have worked very well with no problems. The Charger is a wider AM wheelset and a bit heavier but I'm in the 220lb. range. At your weight,I would recommend taking a look at the SUNRinglé Black Flag Pro or Pro SL which are a little narrower and lighter (29er-1600g). Also, they come ready to be used tubeless and are easy to mount TLR (tubeless ready) tires with a floor pump. Tubeless valves and sealant is supplied. They also come with all front axle standard adapters (20mm. QR15 or standard QR). The rear can be used QR or 142 X 12mm. There is also a 12mm. bolt on axle for standard 10mm. dropouts which I use.

As for tires, I prefer more aggressive knobbly tires. Grip is more important to me than weight. I've been using Schwalbe Knobby Nics and Specialized Purgatory tires. I wouldn't hesitate using Schwalbe Racing Ralph or Specialized Ground Control if I wanted to use less aggressive tires. (I'm using a Ground Control as a rear tire on one bike.) All are available as tubeless ready.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    x2 on lacemine

mtbr member
    I would also recommend lacemine29.com by the way. I have a set of wheels built by Mike Curiak. Stan's Flows on Shimano Saint hubs. They are indestructible but cost me over $800. "jfitzem" gave a budget limit of $600. A good pre-built wheel set will fit better into that budget.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Is highly recommend Stans wheels. I'm at 155lbs and ride Crests (DT240 hubs). They have been excellent over the last three years. However, if I were to get another set, I'd go for something slightly wider to accommodate 2.3+ tires better, like Flow/EX.

Regarding lacemine/mikesee, I was also going to order some wheels from him, but recent ignorant comments keep me from dealing with him. There are a lot of good wheel builders out there to waste my time with him. You may find even local guys have great credentials and will get the job done, as did I.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Stans rims. Stans on hope pro 2 is what I'd go for. Hop over to CRC and grab the set for $475.

Hope Hoops Pro2 SP on Stans Crest Front 29er | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Hope Hoops Pro2 SP on Stans Crest Rear 29er | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

MTB B'dos
    I would 3rd or whatever the Stans rims laced to Hope Pro2s or something similar. As Cerb said, can't really beat the prices for these wheels out of the UK/Europe, but be cautious about them and there build if you're getting Crests. I got a Crest front wheel, Hope built and the spokes they used and build left a lot to be desired, wheel was very flexy and went out of true quickly. I recently re-laced it using DT Swiss DB Comp spokes and alu nipples to 99kgf and it feels strong as ever and is true and stiff as I could want - again, who builds your wheels and the care they give them in chosing/using the right spokes etc is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    Another vote for Stans rims. Stans on hope pro 2 is what I'd go for. Hop over to CRC and grab the set for $475.

Hope Hoops Pro2 SP on Stans Crest Front 29er | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Hope Hoops Pro2 SP on Stans Crest Rear 29er | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Regarding lacemine/mikesee, I was also going to order some wheels from him, but recent ignorant comments keep me from dealing with him. There are a lot of good wheel builders out there to waste my time with him. You may find even local guys have great credentials and will get the job done, as did I.
    So you are condemning him because of, in your own words, "recent ignorant comments".

Dealing with Mike Curiak was a pleasure. He replied to my information within a day and replied promptly to any questions I had. The wheels were built and delivered quickly and have been faultless. Before getting him to build the wheels for me I thought of doing them myself but don't have the tools. I did a costing of all the components. Mike's quote was ± $100 more than the cost of the parts. I wouldn't hesitate to have him build wheels for me again. I have referred several friends to him, all who are happy.