mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Help Please: 09' Fuji Tahoe SL, 11' Specialized Rockhopper Pro or 11' Trek X-Caliber

I am not up to date with componentry knowledge and I'm really only familiar with Trek/Gary Fisher. I am having a hard time making this decision. Some insight would be appreciated. Below are the specs; any suggestions? Best product value? Thanks!

09' Fuji Tahoe SL - $1410

Main frame: Fuji Altair 2 custom butted aluminum with PowerDiamond down tube, top tube/seat tube gusset, Hydro-formed top and down tube, Integrated head tube, double water bottle mounts

Rear triangle: Fuji Altair 2, custom tapered 7005 aluminum with Edge S-bend MonoStay, Cold forged dropout with CNC'D disc mount and replaceable hanger

Fork Rock Shox Reba 29 SL Air, 80mm Travel w/Remote PopLoc

Crankset TruVativ Firex 3.1 GXP, 22/32/44T

Bottom bracket TruVativ GXP Exterior Bearing System

Pedals Xpedo MF-3 clipless

Front derailleur SRAM X.9, 34.9mm

Rear derailleur SRAM X.9

Shifters SRAM X.9 Trigger, 27-speed

Cassette SRAM PG-950, 11-34T 9-speed

Chain KMC HG-73

Front hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H

Rear hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H

Spokes 14G Stainless Steel

Rims WTB Lazer Disc Trail 29", 32H DW w/ Single Eyelet

Tires Continental Mountain King 29 X 2.2

Tubes CST Lite presta

Brake set Avid Juicy 7 Hydraulic Disc, 160R/185F mm rotor

Brake levers Avid Juicy 7

Headset V.P. A-42E 1 1/8" Press Fit Integrated, 30mm spacers

Handlebar Fuji Pro Riser 15mm double butted aluminum 31.8mm

Stem Fuji Pro Ultalite Forged Alloy +/- 7 degree

Tape/grip Fuji Dual Density Kraton rubber

Saddle WTB Rocket V Comp SE

Seat post Fuji Forged Al micro adjust, 350mm

Seat clamp Fuji Superlite Alloy, 34.9mm Laser Etched

Weight, lb./kg. 28.96/13.135

Rockhopper Pro: $1260

FRAME Specialized M4SL fully manipulated alloy frame, 29" geometry, fully butted, integrated HT, forged dropouts w/ replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only

FORK RockShox Recon Silver SL 29, magnesium lower, 1 1/8" alloy steerer, 32mm Cr-Mo stanchions, air spring w/ external LO & rebound adj.

HEADSET Integrated 1-1/8" threadless, Campy type full cartridge bearings

STEM 3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp

HANDLEBARS Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up

GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm

FRONT BRAKE Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic disc, alloy backed pads, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep Rotor

REAR BRAKE Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic disc, alloy backed pads, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep Rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano SLX 9-speed Shadow Long cage

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano SL-M590 Deore trigger

CASSETTE Shimano HG30, 9-speed, 11-34t

CHAIN KMC X9L w/ reuseable Missing Link

CRANKSET Shimano FC-M521, Hollowtech, Octalink spline

CHAINRINGS 44A x 32S x 22S replaceable

BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm

PEDALS Alloy 1pc. body and cage, reflector kit, 9/16"

RIMS DT-Swiss 485, 29", alloy double wall disc, pinned w/ eyelets

FRONT HUB Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flange, QR, 32h

REAR HUB Forged alloy, mid flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flanges, cassette, QR, 36h

SPOKES 2mm (14g) stainless

FRONT TIRE Specialized The Captain Control, 29x2.0", 60TPI, tubeless ready aramid bead

REAR TIRE Specialized The Captain Control, 29x2.0", 60TPI, tubeless ready aramid bead

INNER TUBES Presta valve

SADDLE Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers

SEATPOST Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm

SEAT BINDER Forged alloy QR, brass washer

Trek X-Caliber: $1399

Frame 6061 T6 aluminum, butted & hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & bottom bracket, G2 29" Geometry

Front Suspension RockShox Reba RL 29 w/Motion Control lockout, custom G2 Geometry, 51mm offset crown, 100mm travel

Wheels Shimano M525 hubs; Bontrager SSR Disc 29 32-hole rims

Tires Bontrager 29-2, 29x2.1"

Shifters SRAM X.7, 10 speed

Front Derailleur SRAM X.7

Rear Derailleur SRAM X.7

Crank SRAM S1000, 44/32/22

Cassette SRAM PG-1050 11-36, 10 speed

Saddle Bontrager Evoke 1

Seat Post Bontrager SSR, 27.2mm, 20mm offset

Handlebars Bontrager Race Big Sweep, 15 degree sweep

Stem Bontrager SSR, 31.8mm

Headset 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings

Brakeset Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes, 6-bolt; G2 185mm front, 160mm rear rotors

Extras Fork sag meter

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would probably opt for the rockhopper or the x-caliber. I actually test rode the x-caliber yesterday and it felt pretty damn good

Have also been considering the 2010 GT Zaskar Expert 9r but I am not able to test ride one locally and there is not much talk about it on these forums.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah I've only been able to test the Fuji; I've been on the Cobia, the step below the X-Caliber; they seem to want to hold me to it though if I order it in. The specialized shop won't hold me to them getting the Pro in.....

get down!
    What size are you looking at?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    19"

Rub it............
    I can only speak for the Fuji as I have one. The only downside to the Fuji is the wheelset IMO. They are heavy. But also in your comparison, the Fuji is also spec'd better, with the exception of the crank. I'd probably swap that out for an SLX unit.

davidcarson48
    I had a Paragon and a good friend has the Tahoe. Other than the wheelset, the Tahoe is a great bike with solid components. With a better wheelset, it is a damn competitive bike. I was very happy with the Paragon (and would have been with the X-Cal, too), as others have been.

I would haggle more on the Fuji, if possible. Play the current pricing of the X-Cal off the the Fuji. It's two years old and should be discounted further than it is. If you can get it under $1250 or so, I do it. Otherwise I go for the X-Cal.

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 for the Fuji Tahoe though you might do better purchasing a used one or check eBay because they come up occasionally. This one is in-store pickup only for $800 (maybe you can get him to ship or use the price to beat down the LBS you are dealing with) http://cgi.ebay.com/FUJI-TAHOE-SL-29...item3362a86193

I bought a used large SL for $550 landed at my place back in February. Stock components are great- shifts like a dream. My other ride is a large '09 Turner Sultan DS for the rough stuff. I'm quite comfortable switching between them (handling is definitely better on the Sultan).
    Last edited by edubfromktown; 11-29-2010 at 07:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I figured that it being 2 years old that it should be marked down more, although I cannot find anywhere the original MSRP. I know that the shop marks everthing about the MSRP so I could not rely on the tag at the shop. They have it listed at 1960. I messaged to find out about shipping for the ebay one. I've been dealing with the shop for a while now, and I don't think they are willing to come down, so it does not seem like that would be the best option for what they are asking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If! the shop had it for 1960 that is telling they payed about $ 1,000.00 for that bike so
    if you like the bike, they have it and they are willing to go $1,250.00 go for it, that is a good bike but! it's two years old..

The shop might come back with an! Oh Fuji wont allow us to sell that cheep and that might be true, but then they could ask Fuji bike or you could just by emailing them & let them know what other bikes your looking at..

davidcarson48
    I'm pretty sure the 09 Tahoe SL was right around $2000. I remember it being cheaper than my Paragon, which was $2199 retail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok just got a brandew new 09' Fuji SL for 799.99 off of ebay, nice because it will include the frame warranty. But...paypal has to verify which takes 2 - 3 days.....overall I'm pretty pumped I'd say I saved myself a bunch of money! Thanks edubfromktown for the suggestion and everyone else for your input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Way to go right on!!!! have fun with your new bike.

davidcarson48
    Congrats! I was hoping someone would jump on that one. BTW, it looks MUCH better in person and in the sun. It's a very nice frame color.

Start saving for a tubeless wheelset while you beat the hell out of the stock one.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by imasickpiece
    Ok just got a brandew new 09' Fuji SL for 799.99 off of ebay
    Congrats on the purchase... it is a very nice ride.

I got the deal of the century on mine because it had a pea sized frame divot on the downtube near the BB. I have ridden it HARD like this for ~9 months and the frame remains rock solid.

Note: it comes stock with 185 front and 160 rear disc brake rotors. The 185 has massive stopping power - be careful. I had always ridden 160/160 until I got mine and damn near endoed a few times applying light/moderate front brake.

Holler if you have other questions.

--Evan