mtbr member

Help picking out a bike - Giant XTC 29er 2/Trek X-Caliber/Specialized Carve?

Looking for a decent bike for a beginner, which do you recommend - Trek X-Caliber, Giant XTC 29er 2 or Specialized Carve? I would like to keep my budget approx $1600. Thank you
    Last edited by trek7100; 12-07-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: SPAM replies

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You can probably get a 2012 XTC 1 for around the same price.
    If you can do it, that is a great bike! Just my 2 cents...
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    the XTC is probably the best bike of those three in my opinion. The Carve would be great too though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think the Specialized Carve is good

By the way, I want to buy a bike under $2000, which is the best one?
    No sport, no life
    -- at: Batteriescenter.com.au

Trail Junkie
    All three are great options,
    Add the Santa Cruz Highball AL to your list!
    See how it stacks up. The highball AL can be converted to singlespeed, if you're into that.
    Just gives you options.

If you're into getting more bang for you buck, the Motobecane offerings at Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties have great deals...part for part they are going to be spec'ed better for less money.

Also the Sette Razzo from Pricepoint have both carbon and an aluminum option in your price range
    Price Point - Discounts on Mountain Bike and Road Bike Parts, Accessories and Cycling Clothing
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    About a month ago I was looking at buying an XTC 29er 2, Trek Cobia (couldn't find an X-Cal anywhere), Spec Carve Comp, and a Cannondale Trail SL1. I took my time and rode all 4 bikes and decided on the Giant XTC. It had the best geometry, parts spec and felt the best. I was able to get the XTC for 10% under MSRP which was nice too. So far I have ridden the bike about 60 miles and am very very happy with the bike. Before this bike I had a Spec 26er full suspension so this is my first 29er hardtail.

Of the bikes I rode I liked the Cannondale the least. It felt heavy and slow and wasn't much fun. The Carve was OK, but just too expensive and no one was willing to discount it from msrp. If I didn't get the XTC I would have probably bought the Cobia as I thought that fit and handled very well, I just thought the XTC was better and I was not happy with the parts spec on the Cobia.

I'd recommend the XTC of the three you listed. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Airborne Bicycles. NEW Goblin
    Another bike to consider is an Airborne Goblin. It compares to an X-Cal at a good savings. It currently has a preferred dual air RockShox Reba fork, something you need a 2012 X-Cal to get. 2013 is solo air less tuneable fork. A 2012 Scott Scale Elite for about 1300 if you can find one is also a great bike with the dual air Reba and superior geo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help picking out a bike - Giant XTC 29er 2/Trek X-Caliber/Specialized Carve?-elite.jpg