mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Help, Old Man needs a 29er for rocky, rooty southeast trails

Well, I have aged enough, deteriorated my back enough, and now question getting a new bike. I currently have a 02 Scalpel which is fine for short all out efforts, but it is a size too small (gotta love the racing theory back then). Our TN trails are a great mix of technical rock gardens, rooty up and down, with the occasional ledge thrown in.

I am a 6'2" clyde and I am ruling out carbon because of all the fail threads.

I just need an agile, all day 29er. Any advice? Yes, I have searched and read the threads, it's what I do best, but I feel like a kid in a candy store and am now more confused than ever. Budget is around 3K tops..

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    They are not available quite yet, but you should check out the new Salsa Spearfish. They have a new split pivot suspension system that has been well received by those who have ridden them. You can check them out on their website. Salsa Cycles
    The Santa Cruz Tallboy aluminum will also fit your pricepoint. I demoed a carbon tallboy and liked it a lot. I know both companies have great customer service. I haven't heard of problems with the Tallboy, and the Spearfish is a new design, so no real history on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Where in TN are you? I ride NW GA/TN trails primarily. The Prime is definitely a great bike for this area. As is the Niner Rip9 (new version).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nashville,,,

CC has a sale on the TallBoy.. Niner seems to guard their prices a little more. The TB build for 3K looks fantastic, the RIP9 at 2800 is an X7 build which is ok for the price.

That Banshee looks like my favorite barcolounger, but looks like a anvil for climbs..

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I was looking at more on Jenson' site and they have some real nice sales on GT and Diamondback 29er full suspension, too.

I have to agree with penn above on the Tallboy LT at competitive cyclist, you should be riding this bike already...

Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy LT R AM Complete Bike | Competitive Cyclist

AOK
    mtbr member

Help, Old Man needs a 29er for rocky, rooty southeast trails

NE Georgia here... Loving my new Prime. Despite it being a little heavy, it is one of the better climbing bikes I have had. Extremely stiff frame. And the KS link suspension is the real deal. Just as good (maybe better) than Niner CVA and DW link designs.

Transition Bandit 29 is a great choice if you want something agile and playful. I suspect the 2014 Salsa Horsetheif will fall into this category as well.

Spearfish is a great bike but much more on the XC side of things. I owned one a 2012 model and it was a great all arounder. I would wait for the 2014 version of the Spearfish if you decide to go that route. Also consider a Niner Jet9 if you go the shorter travel / more XC route.

mtbr member
    Penn, I'm in your area, got a messed up back, and can recommend just the bike. I have a Giant Anthem that's fantastic on our trails, as long as you aren't looking to hit the drops at Hammy. If you're looking for something more that speed, try a Trance. I hit up the Trek demo at Lock 4 and rode some stuff up there. The bike that stood out to me was a Fuel, but even with 120mm of travel, it didn't have the small bump compliance the Anthem did that makes going fast on it so comfortable, and it didn't pedal as well either. Sadly, with Harpeth out of the picture, you may have to hit Riverside in Clarksville to pick a Giant up locally, I'm not certain who else carries them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    120 travel minimum, maybe more if the back is that bad, and the trails are that rough. I've been really surprised by what a great bike the new Trek Remedy 29er is. Being an avowed bike snob, I never thought I'd end up on a Trek, and initially purchased it with thoughts of it being a short-term placeholder/parts bike. Stiff, smooth, and snappy handling. The rear suspension design (ABP/DCRV/Full Floater/short chainstays), 34 mm fork, and uber-stiff frame are highlights.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey Penn!
    ========

You can consider this: Remedy 8 29 - Trek Bicycle

Its a 140mm F/R, SLX/XT drivetrain, SLX brakes, 15QR/F, 142x12/R, good XR3 tires.
    The trek suspension is great (Full floater, ABP). OH.. it looks good too.
    It pedals good, climbes just fine and rips the DH. Good value for $$$.

Mo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Bike Magazine drinking a Tallboy

another vote for the Tallboy, although the review is for the Tallboy LTc

mtbr member
    My Ventana El Rey. Which just so happens to be for sale. I am getting an MTBR ad together, but in the mean time, search Ventana in the Asheville Craigslist. I would be willing to neet you in Knoxville for a demo.