mtbr member
    Sep 2011

help me pick 2012 Trek X-Caliber 29er or Scott Scale 29 Elite

Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a hardtail bike and was thinking between Trek X-Caliber 2012 or Scott Scale 29 Elite which one will u get and why thanks. They both in the same price range..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Do you have a trek or scott dealer that is close and gives good service......that is why i went with trek, i knew the owner, and she always took care of me, since i started buying bmx bikes 20 years ago....i do have to say, Scott bikes are really nice...i am digging the scott spark....
    ...and back to your question, if you plan to get the team or elite model i would go with the scott, because of components, (i like shimano over sram), but if the scott scale you were looking at was the comp model, then i would go with the trek...that my .02

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I do have both dealers close to me. So Scott is better interesting.. I was looking at the elite or even the pro which is carbon fibers..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    so are the scott carbon fiber scale the same price as trek x cal?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    No it is not the same price but I can get a good deal on the carbon fiber. The x caliber is like 1349.00 and the scott pro is like 2599.00 but i can get a good deal on it like 1899.99..

mtbr member
    iŽd say go for scott, there is a big difference in weght, and, swapping some parts it can be easily below 22 - 23 pounds
    good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been contemplating between the X-Caliber and the Scale 29er Elite as well. Which one is lighter out of the box?

It would appear form the specs that the Scaler 29er Elite has better components, but I'm such a noob to the MTB scene that I'm kind of getting lost in all the terminology, model numbers, etc.

Regards.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf Nut View Post
    I've been contemplating between the X-Caliber and the Scale 29er Elite as well. Which one is lighter out of the box?

It would appear form the specs that the Scaler 29er Elite has better components, but I'm such a noob to the MTB scene that I'm kind of getting lost in all the terminology, model numbers, etc.

Regards.
    It all depend in what you like I like SRAM better than Shimano why because I have had bad experience with Shimano comp. Shimano Pedal are the best but gears they are not as crisp in changing compare to SRAM this what I have seen. So if you can ride both bike at a bike shop near you and decide that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    and i am the opposite, i prefer shimano, for me, quicker and quieter shifting.....shimano from bottom to top, starts at deore, slx, xt, then xtr (most expensive), and sram starts at x5, x7, x9, x0, xx (most expensive), im sure that no matter what bike you choose you will be happy....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpjumperHulk View Post
    It all depend in what you like I like SRAM better than Shimano why because I have had bad experience with Shimano comp. Shimano Pedal are the best but gears they are not as crisp in changing compare to SRAM this what I have seen. So if you can ride both bike at a bike shop near you and decide that way.

mtbr member
    I figured this thread was a good place to ask this question. I currently have a 26" FS Felt and I'm looking at adding a HT 29er. What are the main differences between an X-caliber and Superfly AL elite?

They appear to have similar components SLX(mostly) v. X7, both AL frames, same rims but a $600 price difference. What am I missing?

EDIT: I answered my own question with a bit more digging. The Superfly moves to the platiunum AL frame, adds a E2 tapered headset, and the Evolution 32 shock is more $$$ than the Reba.
    Last edited by tomcho; 11-11-2011 at 09:52 AM.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
    I figured this thread was a good place to ask this question. I currently have a 26" FS Felt and I'm looking at adding a HT 29er. What are the main differences between an X-caliber and Superfly AL elite?

They appear to have similar components SLX(mostly) v. X7, both AL frames, same rims but a $600 price difference. What am I missing?

EDIT: I answered my own question with a bit more digging. The Superfly moves to the platiunum AL frame, adds a E2 tapered headset, and the Evolution 32 shock is more $$$ than the Reba.
    Is the frame and forks worth the extra price? The standard X-Caliber really looks like a lot of bike for the money.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Is the frame and forks worth the extra price? The standard X-Caliber really looks like a lot of bike for the money.
    I guess that really depends, I'm a roadie so i'm very new to the MTB world. From the research I've done the shock itself bought alone covers just about the $350 price between the bikes. The platinum aluminum is supposed to be lighter and the superfly adds the tapered heat tube.

Those features for the $350 difference, eliminated the X-caliber from my list.

My HT 29er not so shortlist...

Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er
    Stumpjumper Comp 29er
    Superfly Carbon
    Superfly AL Elite
    Scale 29 Pro
    Scale 29 Elite
    XTC 29er 1
    Nine Elite

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just looking through some threads about the Scotts and came across yours and thought I would add some input into the discussion since I have the 2011 Scott Scale Elite.

Before I bought the bike I did extensive research into 29ers in the $1500-2000 range. I looked at the Trek Paragon (a step up from the X-Caliber, don't like SRAM equipment, I'm a Shimano guy), Giant XtC (SRAM equipment again), Marin Nail Trail 29er (a little bit more money than the Scott) and the Scott Scale Elite. For the money and the equipment the Scott won hands down. I looked at the Scale Pro but it wasn't worth the extra $1000, but if you can get it for $1899 then I would jump all over that. I even thought about a custom build but would have spent more than buying the Elite and upgrading the equipment. The Elite had XT rear derailleur, SLX front derailleur, SLX shifters, Rock Shox Recon Gold fork, Rocket Ron tires, lightweight frame and once I rode it, it was a done deal. I love it! The only thing about the bike I do not like are the brakes. The Elixir 3's suck!

I purchased the Elite as my first XC race bike and haven't regretted it a bit. Now I have upgraded most of the components to cut down on weight or, in the case of the brakes, better function. I now have all XT drivetrain (except for the SLX front derailleur, but I hardly use it), XTR brakes, FSA carbon flat bar, Thomson offset seatpost, Thomson stem, Ergon grips, Specialized Henge saddle (bent the other saddle in a crash). The bike now weighs 24ish and rides like a cheetah. Even with all the upgrades and original cost of the bike I spent a little more than the cost of the Scale Pro but have much better equipment and it only weighs about a pound over the Pro.

I would definitely recommend spending the extra cash for the Elite. You'll be happier you did.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcho View Post

Why don't you give the Felt Nine series a look? Just got one and I love it.