Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Help me decide - SB95c vs. Jet9 RDO vs. Rip9 RDO vs. ?

Yep - another one of these threads!

I got rid of my only 26'er, which also happened to be my only FS bike recently in anticipating of adding a FS 29er trail bike to the quiver. The top 3 contenders as of now are the SB95c, Jet9 RDO or Rip9 RDO. I currently ride a Niner EMD and a Mistfit DiSSent SS.

I live in the triangle area of NC and ride mostly rooty NC singletrack, with the plan to start to travel to the mountains to ride more. I do the occasional endurance race and would like to race more, though i'm not looking for a race bike per se.

When I started thinking about a new bike I wanted something in the neighborhood of 120mm of travel and on the lighter side - the Jet9 RDO immediately moved to the top of my list. This was mostly based on reviews, and when I finally had the chance to demo one, it did not meet my expectations. The setup was poor and the suspension (100mm) felt stiff and uncomfortable. That said, there's enough positive stuff about this bike that it is still high on the list. With the introduction of the Rip9, I'm interested wonder if this might not be a bit too much bike for my needs.

I had a chance to demo an SB95a for a weekend and absolutely loved the bike. It was, however, bit heavier of a bike than I was looking for. With the impending arrival of the carbon version, this provides an opportunity to lighten things up a bit. I rode the bike at 120 and liked it - not sure I'd actually need to go to 140 for my local trails and riding style.

So, I'm hoping for some recommendations or thoughts regarding these bikes. I'm likely to go for an XT level package, and am looking for a complete bike. With the Yeti - the XT level carbon is likely (extrapolating from the 66c) to run around $5800, and I would ultimately upgrade wheels, but not right away. This is probably the absolute upper end of what I could fathom paying (and am likely to get some guff from the wife as it stands). Should I be looking at anything else? I thought about the Ripley but am not a fan of the proprietary geo for the fork/offset.

Root Master
    I have an SB95 but wouldn't race it. The carbon version would probably be pretty nice though. My only complaint is the thing is hard to maneuver around the tight, twisty stuff we have in Charlotte, but I do have the fork set at 140 mm. That complaint falls to the wayside when I take it to Pisgah/Dupont though. It is made for that area of NC.

I think you should really think about the Ripley. It's light, has the travel you want, and, at least according to Ibis, is ready to race should you choose to do so.

You could always think about a Tallboy Carbon with a 120 fork on the front. It will be the same amount of travel as the Jet 9 RDO but the suspension will likely soak up things a little better.
    Join the Tribe...

Closekids.com
    Someone is going to have to prove that a single pivot point can soak up bumps better than CVA. Anything is possible, but it doesn't make sense to me.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    "You could always think about a Tallboy Carbon with a 120 fork on the front. It will be the same amount of travel as the Jet 9 RDO but the suspension will likely soak up things a little better."

+1, or try the LTc if you plan to hit the mountains more often

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have own Jet9 Alloy,Rip9 alloy, Tallboy, Jet9 RDO & Rip9 RDO & the Rip9 RDO sounds like it would fit well with what you are looking for.

I is fast like the Jet9 RDO, Gives up all but nothing to the Jet9 RDO in climbing, It's more plush for the ruff, Would still be a very fast & nimble bike for the races that you do.

Maybe for what you are wanting run the 130mm travel fork & you will have a bike that suits your needs well.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thoughts. The Rip9 looks sick, but for some reason, the really slack seat tube has me a bit wary (not sure why, just seems more aggressive than I need).

I should have mentioned, that while lower weight was an initial prereq, with the SB95, I have loosened up a bit on this. That said, it would still be nice to have something on the lighter to reasonable side that climbs well. Not too interested in hucking the bike.

I AM looking for a "do all" trailbike. I like my hard tails, but I've decided the next bike is going to be a big budget build that I want to become my everyday ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Someone is going to have to prove that a single pivot point can soak up bumps better than CVA. Anything is possible, but it doesn't make sense to me.
    Did someone claim a single pivot bike soaks up bumps better than CVA?

Root Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Did someone claim a single pivot bike soaks up bumps better than CVA?
    No. Unless he's implying that the VPP of the Tallboy is just a single pivot.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That's what I was wondering as well?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You should be able to get the Jet9 RDO tuned to your liking. I run mine with a 120mm fork up front and it feels very balanced and plush. It is very rocky and chunky here in AZ and I never feel short on travel compared to the other 100mm travel bikes I've ridden(SuperFly 100, Epic,Tallboy).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I AM looking for a "do all" trailbike. I like my hard tails, but I've decided the next bike is going to be a big budget build that I want to become my everyday ride.
    Based on that statement, take the Jet off your list. I've got a SB95 and have spent time on a RIP. I'm still amazed how well both of these bikes climb for 5" of travel. I leave the SB shock set on full soft. The SB is slightly plusher (CTD on SB, RP23 on RIP), but it has a linear leverage ratio vs. a progressive on the RIP so this is expected. I could be happy on either, but I prefer the slacker front end on the SB. I jump back and forth between a rigid Dissent and the SB, and the front end doesn't slow me down at all in the tight stuff. I hate to sound cliche, but the SB has been a game changer for me. Throw on a set of light wheels tires, and I wouldn't hesitate to race it.

Have you seen the new Rip9 Al that Niner just announced. Same geometry as RDO and only .5lb heavier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Based on that statement, take the Jet off your list. I've got a SB95 and have spent time on a RIP. I'm still amazed how well both of these bikes climb for 5" of travel. I leave the SB shock set on full soft. The SB is slightly plusher (CTD on SB, RP23 on RIP), but it has a linear leverage ratio vs. a progressive on the RIP so this is expected. I could be happy on either, but I prefer the slacker front end on the SB. I jump back and forth between a rigid Dissent and the SB, and the front end doesn't slow me down at all in the tight stuff. I hate to sound cliche, but the SB has been a game changer for me. Throw on a set of light wheels tires, and I wouldn't hesitate to race it.
    Secretly, this is what I was hoping to hear!

mtbr member
    If we listen long enough we will eventually hear what we want.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Have you seen the new Rip9 Al that Niner just announced. Same geometry as RDO and only .5lb heavier.
    wow - a grand for a half a pound - i know there are other factors for carbon, but i dont see how that is worth it. put the 1k into carbon wheels and drop the weight where it matters most...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You could always consider getting a Stumpjumper. After all, it's much better than a Niner.

mtbr member

Help me decide - SB95c vs. Jet9 RDO vs. Rip9 RDO vs. ?

Quote Originally Posted by pig2 View Post
    You could always consider getting a Stumpjumper. After all, it's much better than a Niner.
    I had a 26er Stumpy for a few years and it was a fine bike but looking for something different.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I haven't spent much time on Niner FS bikes so I can only say that I thought they rode pretty well overall.

But I absolutely adore my sb95, even with the fork at 140 I don't find it too painful in the tight and twisties, but that could be a difference in cockpit setup vs what OP's demo was. It definitely is more "XC" on the front at 120 though, noticeably but not world-shaking-ly.

For the money I think it better spent on the alloy version with a nice set of lightweight+strong wheels. That'll pay off MUCH more than the weight change from the move to a carbon frame, IMO. Of course I am biased because I use Stan's Flow rims with 2.2-2.4" tires so my wheels are going to be "phat" no matter what. If I lived in less rock-harsh terrain I'd probably stay with lighter weight tires and possibly rims too.

Oh, also, tire choice is a huge factor. The stock tires that came on it worked really well (Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.4 front Ikon 2.2 3c/exc/EXO back) and the rear tire in particular was supah-light-weight, they just didn't get mileage that I was hoping for so I've been looping through the more meaty tires. This is a personal problem. OP may not have the same issue.

With lighter wheels/tires (than mine) I'd not hesitate to consider it race-able in XC with the fork at 120.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You could consider a cannondale trigger 1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have an sb95 too had it for a year and it is a phenomenal bike, just about to swap it out for the carbon version been a hard choice as I usually like to try different bikes but in this case.... With a 120mm fork you would be fine to race it has very snappy handling for a 29er, maybe try a Ripley too as that will be a bit more of a contrast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just got a trance....trail bike at a low cost.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by pig2 View Post
    You could always consider getting a Stumpjumper.
    This might be good advice. I've been dreaming of a new chi-chi bike for years, so I've been demoing every bike I can get my hands on. I even went to Outerbike last year. I can't say I've ridden everything out there but I've ridden most. What I hadn't ridden was any Specialized bikes. I own a Trek and didn't want another big box bike. I wanted something blingtastic. Then my bike had a mechanical problem and a friend offered to lend me his Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp. What a nice bike. I was amazed. Here was a complete bike for the price of some frames.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes you are looking at. I've ridden them. They're all nice.

Keep on Rockin...
    The 120mm thing is "no mans land" - too much for out-of-the-saddle xc hammering, too short for the bike to handle like a real trail bike. Been there, done it.

Go TB TLTc if willing to spend the cash.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    The 120mm thing is "no mans land" - too much for out-of-the-saddle xc hammering, too short for the bike to handle like a real trail bike. Been there, done it.

Go TB TLTc if willing to spend the cash.

Or for some it could be the perfect amount of travel. I love my Jet9 RDO with a 120 fork.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Jet9 RDO with 120mm
    Single Track Rules!

Carbon & Ti rule
    +2 on the Jet9 RDO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast