Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Cow Clicker
    Depends on if you'll use it or not: TRc Fox RP23 CTD versus Fox Float RP23 CTD + K
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    okay, I'm going with then float shock so I probably wont need it

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

TBLTc or Stumpy

I would stick with the XT package from SC and go for diff. wheels. I have the stock WTB wheels and they are not bad at all, you might save a little weight with Stans Arch-EX. The Santa Cruz site has a size chart and I think its on. The bike rides high in the front and a long cockpit isn't needed IMO. I would stick with the Fox Float not the Talus. I went with the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in front, and I would check to see if the XT rear derr. is the new plus type. The plus rear derr. is the only change I would make ASAP.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thinks that's what I'm gonna do. Order one from Colorado Cyclist with arch x wheels and xt components except for xtr brakes and the float shock. They are all out of 2012 frames in Xl so I will have to go with the 2013 with the $200 rear shock upgrade. Thanks for all the help. I like getting a warranty if I buy new since I plan on keeping this bike a long time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Okay, so time to make a final decision. Here is the info regarding the two bikes I am looking at. The LTc is about $150 cheaper.Will purchase one or the other within the next few days.

First bike is a 2012 tallboy ltc, about 2 months old, with spxam29 build and rock shox revelation shocks. Everyhing else is stock.

Second bike is a 2012 S Works Stumpjumper with about 25 hrs on it. It has XX components, X2 cranks, Rock Shox revelation front shock and SRAM wheels. Rear is a Rise 40 and the front is an X9 hub (20mm thru-axle) with a Stans No-tubes ZTR Flow front rim.

This will be my first 29er and I primarily ride the Auburn area in Norther California. Which one should I buy????

Dropshot Champ!
    you can't really go wrong with either. But if both bikes are used, I think santa cruz helps with crash replacement alot better than a used specialized.

I personally like vpp/dw over fsr for nothern california trails, but those stumpys are nice and plush. XX is really nice, but the tallboy ltc is getting insanely good reviews.

I really don't think you can go wrong man. Ride both around and pick what fits better

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, touch decision. Rode both a lrc XL and a stumpjumper expert evo at the lbc and both felt great. The stumpy did feel a little smaller and more nimble but both rode great. Would you say the XX comonenets are better than the XT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    Yeah, touch decision. Rode both a lrc XL and a stumpjumper expert evo at the lbc and both felt great. The stumpy did feel a little smaller and more nimble but both rode great. Would you say the XX comonenets are better than the XT.
    XX is SRAM's best, and yes it is better than XT. XX is like XTR on Shimano, you get significant weight savings on both XX and XTR and performance increases, but you will pay and pay big.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    I'd go stumpy. xx better, yes.
    i ride in auburn quite a bit, grew up there and get down from tahoe in the snow season.
    stumpy is more plush and lower center, tallboy is... tall and the suspension seems designed to keep it tall by keeping it's pedaling platform.
    as a weekend warrior riding in auburn, you probably don't need the fox 34 for, the 32 is plenty unless you are a heavy hammer or are looking at bigger air.

the yeti sb95 is GREAT as well. heavier, but works as well or better then both imo. stop by auburn bike works and check it out.

cheers,
    Holiday

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I agree with the carbon-warranty folks - but that goes for any major component - You want to protect your investment if you plan to keep it for a while.
    I recently purchased a used 2012 S-Works SJ FSR with Roval "crabon" wheelset and Fox 34 Talas 140 fork. I then added full XTR with the exception of the crankset.
    For me, the suspension is a delight. Implacable when out of the saddle and baby-butt smooth when cruising the rough stuff.
    The Tallboy ltc was on my list (as it the RIP9 RDO) but the deal was too good to pass up.

Not sure what kind of riding is in Auburn CA, but it sounds like either bike would suit you.
    Faced with your decision (given that used S-Works wheelset and component mix) I would ride them both. As many others have said - you are in a good position and can't screw this up too much

If you can get Specialized warranty (somehow) - then that should seal the deal for the SJ

Happy Trails!

BR
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    stumpy is more plush and lower center, tallboy is... tall and the suspension seems designed to keep it tall by keeping it's pedaling platform.
    Just curious, have you rode the Tallboy LTc? You say "seems" sounds like you may not have spent time on one to make a comparison to your stumpy, however I could be wrong, maybe you have.

Just an FYI, you want to know the difference in BB heights, the stumpy 29er is 13.41 inches tall and the Tallboy LTc is 13.4 even, so I would say technically- the Tallboy LTc has a lower BB therefore a touch "lower center" as you would say, compared to the stumpy. As far as money going farther though, on the Tallboy LTc you get much more components and all for a better price, Spec is a bit more expensive to get the same equivalent.

IDK what you mean by "suspension seems designed to keep it tall by keeping it's pedaling platform."

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The only ltc the bike store had was an XL and if felt a little big for me. Maybe I need to try a L before I make my final decision. BTW I am 6'1" about 195lbs and me inseam is 34-35 inches.

Dropshot Champ!
    ^he's comparing two used bikes, so new pricing doesn't matter. But yes, the tallboy would be the better deal new.

FSR bikes tend to sit deeper in their travel than vpp bikes. That's what he was probably getting at.

Cow Clicker
    Buying an expensive, used, carbon frame is not something I would do. You have been warned.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I agree with above

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    maybe I would be better off getting a new ltc through colorado cyclist. The extra $$ would probably be worth the piece of mind.

Cow Clicker
    Agree!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    XL for you. 2 buddies on LTc. 5'10" on a Large, 6' on an XL.

At 5'5", I ride the Medium.

We all have 50mm stem and 750mm bars.

Sylvain

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    good to know. Thanks for all the help guys

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm 6' and would never ride a XL, large is
    more than enough for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Just curious, have you rode the Tallboy LTc? You say "seems" sounds like you may not have spent time on one to make a comparison to your stumpy, however I could be wrong, maybe you have.

Just an FYI, you want to know the difference in BB heights, the stumpy 29er is 13.41 inches tall and the Tallboy LTc is 13.4 even, so I would say technically- the Tallboy LTc has a lower BB therefore a touch "lower center" as you would say, compared to the stumpy. As far as money going farther though, on the Tallboy LTc you get much more components and all for a better price, Spec is a bit more expensive to get the same equivalent.

IDK what you mean by "suspension seems designed to keep it tall by keeping it's pedaling platform."
    yes, I've ridden the LTc, just an hour or so, but after 20 years putting tons of miles on mountain bikes, I can feel what I like and don't pretty quickly.

tall isn't the measurement, the suspension setting is designed to sit near top of travel, as opposed to more in the travel, so it feels taller.

both are great bikes, top 5 on my list, but I was leaning toward the spesh based on your info and both used. as so many have said, you can't go wrong, bikewize. you can go wrong buying a super high end carbon bike w/o a warrantee. you have 3 great shops in auburn. use the local bike shope. bubba is a good guy at emporium for sc, oliver is on it w/ the specialized in downtown, and auburn bike works is the hometown fav w/ yeti and giant.

cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I'm 6' and would never ride a XL, large is
    more than enough for me.
    agree w/ John.
    i'm 6ft (although maybe just under as I'm shrinking in my 40's)

L is good in some bikes, M in many.

at, say 5 11.5, I choose the M stumpy w/ an 80stem. i spent time on L w/ the 60 and it was far less agile.
    in tallboy ltc, i rode the L.

cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey John:

Dou you ride a large ltc. Before I purchase any I need to ride both a large and extra large ltc but the bike emporium only had a ltc in a Xlarge and it belonged to one of the guys who worked there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No I don't have a LTC, but most of my bikes are large. My
    Trek EX is a 18.5.

Holiday, I know what you mean. I was over 6'1" when I
    was younger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Keep in mind SC sizes tend to run smaller than others. For example TT is about 1/2 inches shorter than the same size Specialized
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2