mtbr member

Help with bike choice: Rocky Mountain Element 950 or Santa Cruz Superlight 29?

I'm having a tough time deciding on the Rocky Mountain Element 950 or a Santa Cruz Superlight 29 with the R XC hardware option. Both bikes are 2012 models and my local bike shop is cutting deals. The 950 has better hardware and they're willing to make a better on it as they have more in stock. They've quoted $2,200 for either brand new.

I've test ridden both bikes and love them both. I have not ridden either on the trails and know the RM is has a multi-link rear suspension, but on all reviews I've read on both bikes, claim they are seriously good handling bikes.

I've always wanted a Santa Cruz so kind of emotionally leaning towards the Superlight, but the RM is a higher end bike and logically a better choice.

mtbr member
    Go with the one your heart tells you is the best bike for you.

I had a bike once that my head said was the right choice but I never loved it. We parted ways after 9 months.

mtbr member
    I just sold my Tallboy carbon to buy a Element 999 if thats any help, my decision was based on 950 test ride.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reydin View Post
    I just sold my Tallboy carbon to buy a Element 999 if thats any help, my decision was based on 950 test ride.
    Is there any downside to the Rocky Mountains as a brand? They seem to be highly engineered and well thought out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekStang View Post
    Is there any downside to the Rocky Mountains as a brand? They seem to be highly engineered and well thought out.
    Not that I'm aware of or have yet to find. but you may want to look over the Rocky Mountain board to see if anything looks like a deal breaker to you.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

SS in CO
    my wife has the superlight (and paid $2200 for it when it was new, so I'm not sure that they're cutting much of a deal...) and we rode the RM elements in Whistler in August. they're 2 really different bikes. the SL is more XC than the RME. there's more travel on the RME and it handles much better because of the shorter chainstays.

what kind of riding do you do? the RME seems more built for more burly trails than the SL. just my perception of riding the two and what my wife said about them.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Look for threads by historeeteacher he tested about everything before settling on a RM element

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm into rocky/rooty and occasional downhill. I'm leaning towards the RM. seems like a great bike based on all reviews.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdb View Post
    Look for threads by historeeteacher he tested about everything before settling on a RM element
    Thanks man. Lots of good info

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So I did a little research for you and the frames are more or less the same in terms of Chainstay length and over all wheel base. I have to agree with driver bob a little bit because getting a bike that you don't love is always dangerours. You will ride but never be sure you made the right decision. On the other had if you plan to do more than just XC riding having a bike with a little more travel makes a big difference. Both brand are extremely repeatable so its like choosing between better and best. I think at the end of the day you go with your heart and with the Santa Cruz SL. Hope this helps some and congrates on the new bike once you pick it you.

mtbr member
    Well finally settled on the RM 950,but the owner of the bike shop overrode the salesperson quote of $2,200 given yesterday. He said the best he could do was $2,400 and that was $100 below his cost.

Needless to say this left a bad taste in my mouth and I respectfully backed out.

This bike retails for $3,250 so $2,400 is still a hell of a deal and the best bike I can find anywhere under 3k. I was thinking a Specialized Stumpjumper but they're 3k.

Anyhoo, don't want to lowball the guy but it was sort of a dick move IMO.

I'll probably go back up there and pay his price, but kind of bummed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The only thing you might try is bringing in 2200 in cash, you never know how people are going to react when cash is on the table. Either way I think 2400 is definitely a steel and would take it and run. Congrates!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    .....both are great bikes but the RME is definitely more trail bike than the XC oriented SL. I felt the weight of the RME more than I liked.... but it climbed well and was easier to steer in the slow tight corners than any of the 5 current generation 29er's I've ridden.
    Bill J.

mtbr member
    Well finally settled on the RM 950,but the owner of the bike shop overrode the salesperson quote of $2,200 given yesterday. He said the best he could do was $2,400 and that was $100 below his cost.

Needless to say this left a bad taste in my mouth and I respectfully backed out.

This bike retails for $3,250 so $2,400 is still a hell of a deal and the best bike I can find anywhere under 3k. I was thinking a Specialized Stumpjumper but they're 3k.

Anyhoo, don't want to lowball the guy but it was sort of a dick move IMO.

I'll probably go back up there and pay his price, but kind of bummed.

Exact same thing happened to me when I was trying to buy a Superlight. Sales guy gave me one price and I was about to buy when some manager came along and jacked up the price $400. Not happy. If you end up going back see if they can at least throw in a free helmet or something for messing with you. The RM does have a 5 year warranty compared to the SL's two year.

mtbr member
    Thank you everyone. I'm about to call the shop in 5 minutes and offer them $2,300 out the door.

I stayed up late last night combing the internet for a better deal and the closest I came was for a BMC Trailfox, but still was around 3K...

Gulp. If you had asked me 2 months ago if I would be buying a $2K+ bike, I would have said you're crazy, but here I go.

I love this sport...

mtbr member
    If he want's rid of it then walk in with $2300 cash and call his hand.

Be prepared to walk away though. If you get the owner on the right day he might just bite on the deal.

$2300 in his pocket is better than a big ticket bike gathering dust on the floor.

Best of luck !!

mtbr member
    Here she is. Was able to get 20min in before dark. Attacked a hill I've tried to climb 4-5 times and up the first time I tried. I see what $ can buy : )

mtbr member
    Well done sir!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Congrats....she is a climber for sure, wait til you get her in the tight stuff! Great bike!

mtbr member
    The old saying: "Money talks, bull$hit walks.."

This time of you is a good time to get a deal if you are serious. Post summer rush, pre Christmas rush, 2013's are shipping out and shops will want to move 2012 product from the floor, especially for cash.

Congratulations on getting a deal you are happy with.

mtbr member
    Nice buy, good deal on a great bike. Definitely worth the $$$.

mtbr member
    Thanks I'm so happy with this bike! Added 2mph to my regular trails and still getting used to the fine tuned, precise feel of the bike. Everything folks claim about these Elements is true. It really does handle like a 26" and the Full Suspension is sooooo nice. This combined with the lighter overall weight and I'm powering over hills I could not clear on my Marlin and dropping off ledges I would never have dared attempt on my hard tail. Honestly I'm worried about being bitten by over confidence but I swear this bike feels like an extension of my nervous system and has taken my skills to a whole new level.

mtbr member
    I ended up getting it for $2300 out the door and they also threw in some nice Answer riser bars. They have 3 2012 930 Elements that they're letting go for $1,800 FYI to anyone in DFW.