Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,002

    Headshok on a 29er?

    Hey guys- I am leaning towards selling one of my 26ers and making the jump to a 29er, and have been mulling over the different fork options. Some people on the VRC board mentioned the Action-Tec ProShock, which apparently Cannondale copied from Action-Tec. Thing is, the Action-Tec fork doesn't seem to have a ton of travel (60mm or so), and has only pretty unsophisticated damping technology.
    Has anyone here been able to find a way to make a 29" Headshok?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marty_hd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    Has anyone here been able to find a way to make a 29" Headshok?
    A Lefty?

    How much travel are you looking for and is there any reason why you would want your suspension cartridge in the head tube? The Lefty can be used with an adaptor (like Project 321 Lefty Adaptor or cheaper ones if you like to work a bit) on bikes with standard head tubes.

    I have not heard of a Cannonadle Headshok working with 29er tires.

  3. #3
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,921
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    Hey guys- I am leaning towards selling one of my 26ers and making the jump to a 29er, and have been mulling over the different fork options. Some people on the VRC board mentioned the Action-Tec ProShock, which apparently Cannondale copied from Action-Tec. Thing is, the Action-Tec fork doesn't seem to have a ton of travel (60mm or so), and has only pretty unsophisticated damping technology.
    Has anyone here been able to find a way to make a 29" Headshok?
    Waltworks and Curtlo (maybe other builders) can build you a 29"er with an Action-Tec fork.

    Here's mtbr3737's beautiful Curtlo with the fork:

    Arrrr... me proud beauty!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    992
    my friend have Action tech fork on his bike for many years (many) and this thing just work, its have some custom options (spring, disk or V' tabs) , never got to it but one day i'm going to built a bike with this fork, maybe a Cross bike.
    they also looks cool ,

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,002
    I was thinking of the older Headshok, not the Lefty. Basically I always have like the incredibly tracking of the old-style Headshok forks, and want to switch to a 29er. I thought maybe someone had found a way to put some custom fork legs meant for a 29" wheel on a Cannondale Headshok steerer tube.
    I suppose the Lefty does look alright, but I have doubts about it being anywhere near as rigid as the older Headshoks.
    The Action Tec does look sweet, and is light, but the damping technology is pretty simple as I understand it.
    Tim
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

  6. #6
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,921
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    I was thinking of the older Headshok, not the Lefty. Basically I always have like the incredibly tracking of the old-style Headshok forks, and want to switch to a 29er. I thought maybe someone had found a way to put some custom fork legs meant for a 29" wheel on a Cannondale Headshok steerer tube.
    I suppose the Lefty does look alright, but I have doubts about it being anywhere near as rigid as the older Headshoks.
    The Action Tec does look sweet, and is light, but the damping technology is pretty simple as I understand it.
    Tim
    Scroll down on this thread to see a new Waltworks with an ActionTec fork.

    JHK Wins on a 29er!

  7. #7
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,626
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    I thought maybe someone had found a way to put some custom fork legs meant for a 29" wheel on a Cannondale Headshok steerer tube.
    I suppose the Lefty does look alright, but I have doubts about it being anywhere near as rigid as the older Headshoks.


    The closest you'll come to a 29er Headshock is a Cyclocross fork, which they did make, but it only had 25mm of travel, and tire choices will be on the rather low end of the volume scale.

    Now as to Leftys, they have their detractors who will whine about proprietary this or that, or nitwit Cannondale dealers who cannot be bothered with servicing them, creating extended times. But the facts stand, they are insanely stiff, super responsive and buttery, amongst the cheapest to bring back from the dead due to neglect or lack of service, and certainly one of the best options currently available in the 29er market. Kinda like the bikes themselves, you gotta drink the koolaid, if you want to wear the smile!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    123
    I did some serious research on what it would take to create a 29er Cannondale Headshock and it's not very easy. A few problems I faced below...

    1. The fork legs are wierd tapered shape which makes it almost imposible to cut them and weld extended legs on.

    2. The fork legs are made from 6061 aluminum, which means if there's any welding done, the assembly has to be heat treated again.

    3. The steerer tube is pressed into the lowers and bonded, so there's really no hope on seperating the aluminum lowers from the steerer tube.

    4. The head tube of the frame has to be oversized to Cannondale's spec which would require a custom frame or one of Cannondales 29er frames.

    The only thing I can think of is this: Cut the legs of as close to the crown as possible. File and sand the remaining crown into a nice round shape to retain the pressed bond between the crown and the steerer. Then have a frame builder align and weld on new longer aluminum lowers and have the assembly re-heat treated.

  9. #9
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,005
    ...or that funky (in a good way) Lenz two-off eccentric front hub...

    Thanks for sharing your research Simonster!

  10. #10
    'Calm Down'
    Reputation: GrumpyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    825
    I know Bob Brown gutted a Cannondale headshock to make his own - http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/custom.htm

    Looks like a lot of work though. ($$$)

    jw


    Quote Originally Posted by Simonster
    I did some serious research on what it would take to create a 29er Cannondale Headshock and it's not very easy. A few problems I faced below...

    1. The fork legs are wierd tapered shape which makes it almost imposible to cut them and weld extended legs on.

    2. The fork legs are made from 6061 aluminum, which means if there's any welding done, the assembly has to be heat treated again.

    3. The steerer tube is pressed into the lowers and bonded, so there's really no hope on seperating the aluminum lowers from the steerer tube.

    4. The head tube of the frame has to be oversized to Cannondale's spec which would require a custom frame or one of Cannondales 29er frames.

    The only thing I can think of is this: Cut the legs of as close to the crown as possible. File and sand the remaining crown into a nice round shape to retain the pressed bond between the crown and the steerer. Then have a frame builder align and weld on new longer aluminum lowers and have the assembly re-heat treated.
    Last edited by GrumpyOne; 04-20-2007 at 12:10 PM.
    -

    "And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sean350's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    312
    You can buy headshok internals from Magura. Don't know what all it comes with, though. Seems like you could just have a fork built, then drop the Magura internals inside.
    -Sean

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,002
    Headshok internals from Magura? Can someone clarify?
    As for the Action-Tec fork, I will ask the same question I did on the VRC forum: for those of you riding it, how much of the fact that you like the fork comes from it being unique/ old-school/ built by a small guy who got screwed by Cannondale, etc.? Or does it really stack up to modern short travel forks like some of you say it does?
    Tim
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    123
    I believe you can only buy the damper cartridge from Magura. You would have to buy a headshock to get the bearing races, headset, and bearing tube (I guess that's what you call it?). I think the actual steerer tube could be machined from scratch though.

    I bet the weight of the whole fork assembly would be about 3lbs. 80mm of travel with a lockout.

Similar Threads

  1. headshok...
    By PUNAR1922 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2006, 08:09 PM
  2. 29er headshok?
    By crepitus in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 11:18 AM
  3. Headshok for 29er
    By sean350 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 08:42 PM
  4. Headshok Fit?
    By pedaler845 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 08:45 PM
  5. Headshok stem doesn't fit Headshok!
    By Astroboy in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •