Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Hayes dyno sport brake question! (Trek mamba)

Howdy, im just starting to get into mtb. I got a trek mamba a few weeks ago, however I'm not happy with the brakes at all. I cant lock the front wheel, infact i can barely stop using the front brake. I spoke to the bike rep who kept telling me that all bikes after different, but from all the other bikes ive ridden with hydraulic brakes, they stop the bike quickly.

Just wondering if anyone can comment on the stopping power of the hayes dyno sport hydraulic brakes? Ive ridden a mates bike with shimano's on them, just an entry level one, and it was amazing compared to. Just wndering what the hayes brakes are meant to be like and if the pads or something are contaminated/air in the brake lines?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Also, i realised ive put this in the wrong section but dont know how to shift it... any help? lol

ready to ride
    No personal experience with that specific brake but it sounds like the brake needs to be bled. Any brake hydro or mechanical should apply enough force where if applied improperly should about send you over the bars. At the very least it should give you good stopping power.

That said all brakes aren't equal. I gave up on Avids after having them continually go soft after multiple bleeds. I got them replaced under warranty which SRAM upped the model but after that experience I had no confidence in them. Dropped some coin on some shimanos and couldn't be happier.

That said I would go back to your LBS and get them to bleed the brake in question.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks mattnmtns. Given the bike is only a fortnight or so old ill just hassle the LBS until im happy.

mtbr member

I have these brakes on my trek and I am very disappointed. I bled them a few weeks ago hoping that would help but it didn't help much. I would like to hear what others say but imo these brakes suck. Wonder if new pads would help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yea.. thats what i wasnt hoping to hear lol. The back brake isnt too bad, but i cant lock the front.. It doesnt matter how much pressure i try to apply i can still ride, just with alot more resistance.. Ill see what the bike shop says, but worse case, shimano brakes are looking pretty good..

mtbr member

They couldn't send me over the bars if I squeezed them as hard as humanly possibly.

I rode my buddies bike a while back and I almost went over the bars because I was use to the crappy Hayes and he had good brakes with stopping power and I squeezed way too hard.

Post up when you find something out at your lbs.

Feel Good About Hood
    My buddy just got the same bike and has the same issue. I did some searching for him and there is a service bulletin on the hayes site Excessive lever throw service Look under "Documents" on the lower right of the website. He took his bike to the shop and asked them to do it. They apparently had no idea what he was talking about and told him "That is just the way hydros are, you'll get used to it" This is his first new bike in a really long time so he wasn't sure if this was true. I told him to print out the sheet and make them fix it. This thread also discusses the issue and people report good results after the service is done. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    I saw that service bulletin. Bleeding them should have fixed it as well but they still have no stopping power. Fortunately the trails in Oklahoma aren't very hilly so I can live with them for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Took it to the bike store. They reckon that my front pads had glazed over. Apparently hayes have brought out a new bleeding kit thing too that the shop are yet to get, but the front feels firmer.. I need to wait until the pads bed in to see if its fix. Ill be taking it back when the new kit comes in to get them redone, hopefully that will fix it otherwise i think ill splash out some money and get some shimano's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathax View Post
    Took it to the bike store. They reckon that my front pads had glazed over. Apparently hayes have brought out a new bleeding kit thing too that the shop are yet to get, but the front feels firmer.. I need to wait until the pads bed in to see if its fix. Ill be taking it back when the new kit comes in to get them redone, hopefully that will fix it otherwise i think ill splash out some money and get some shimano's.
    Please report back your findings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Initial comments, no better. Took it for a sizable ride today, the brakes are screaming now, and i can pretty much pull the lever of both the front and back into the handle bars. Im feeling like this is a fluid bleeding issue again? Really not happy with these brakes so far.. Hopefully this new kit they get in will fix it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have not had good experiences with cheap disc brakes. You can set them up to be usable, but you will not get actual stopping power until you get to the high-end stuff. If you are going to buy a new set, I would recommend Shimano XT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathax View Post
    Initial comments, no better. Took it for a sizable ride today, the brakes are screaming now, and i can pretty much pull the lever of both the front and back into the handle bars. Im feeling like this is a fluid bleeding issue again? Really not happy with these brakes so far.. Hopefully this new kit they get in will fix it...
    You say the brakes are screaming? As in they're rubbing? If so, you may have been the victim of an overheated system. When hydros overheat, all kinds of bad stuff happens. Squishy lever, no modulation, squealing noises... It seems like they might need a bleed. I'm not sure of the exact design but I know a lot of cheaper hydros succumb to sticky calipers too, when one piston sticks in the caliper and therefore half the force is lost. The only experience I have with cheaper hydros is my set of tektro dracos on my rockhopper, but even those can flip me forward if I wanted to...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a mamba as well and the brakes are the same for me as well. I was comparing to a mates 26" with Shimano deore brakes and they are miles ahead of me. You need to remember that both had 160mm rotors, except there is a 11.5% increase in wheel size on the 29 over the 26. To get a similar braking experience you need a 180mm rotor on a 29er to have the same braking leverage on a 26" wheel.

I got rid of my Hayes, and put some shimano deore and a 180mm rotor on the front. I can now wheel stand with one finger. Even my heavy arse at 250lb (110kg)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    They cant be over heating, cause they squeal even cold. I think they need a proper bleed, ill wait and see what the shop will do with a different bleeding kit before i decide.

Ports, how much did that set you back? Ive riden a mates with shimanos and they feel so much nicer. Im toying with just replacing them if they dont after the next bleed.

mtbr member

A good set of shimanos would be a world of difference, I did it for the reliability and power. My set of xt's set me back about 250 from my LBS. worth 100% of the money. No squeals, rattles, fades, squishyness... And super easy to maintain because the simply dont need much besides a pad change every blue moon. Ps- on that cold squealing: that could be the rotor vibrating from a dozen and a half other problems like a bad set of pads etc. the bleed might fix it so like you said just wait and see. I know a lot of people with higher end avids had that problem and it was never really fully resolved. They even made a solid rotor for them to try and combat it...
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

mtbr member

Bigger rotor may help but shouldn't be needed. These brakes just suck.

mtbr member

+1 on that. Cheap hydros will never out perform (or even outlast) mechanicals at the same price point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Bigger rotor may help but shouldn't be needed. These brakes just suck.

I kind of disagree, in comparison of a 26 - 29 wheel when both are using a 160mm rotor, the 29" wheel has the increased wheel leverage, but the brakes have stayed the same.
    I said before there is a 11.5% size increase in the wheel, and to get the same brake increase it puts the rotor in the 180mm size range (180mm = 12.5% increase)

I certainly DO agree that the brakes are pretty ordinary, and its probably best just to swap them out. I spoke to a Trek dealer and he mentioned that Hayes have brought out this lower end model to target the budget market. He even said they are fairly ordinary....

Nathax, I bought just regular Shimano Deore brakes from CRC. Im in Australia so I'm not sure how much they are for you. I paid $110 for front and rear together, but i also grabbed a larger rotor and bracket to mount the calliper. I still have the old hayes brakes, if you're curious, i will chuck the hayes back on the front with the 180mm rotor and see if just the size increase has made a satisfactory improvement.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Ports View Post
    I kind of disagree, in comparison of a 26 - 29 wheel when both are using a 160mm rotor, the 29" wheel has the increased wheel leverage, but the brakes have stayed the same.
    I said before there is a 11.5% size increase in the wheel, and to get the same brake increase it puts the rotor in the 180mm size range (180mm = 12.5% increase)

I certainly DO agree that the brakes are pretty ordinary, and its probably best just to swap them out. I spoke to a Trek dealer and he mentioned that Hayes have brought out this lower end model to target the budget market. He even said they are fairly ordinary....

Nathax, I bought just regular Shimano Deore brakes from CRC. Im in Australia so I'm not sure how much they are for you. I paid $110 for front and rear together, but i also grabbed a larger rotor and bracket to mount the calliper. I still have the old hayes brakes, if you're curious, i will chuck the hayes back on the front with the 180mm rotor and see if just the size increase has made a satisfactory improvement.
    My comment comes from riding 29ers with 160mm that would send me over the bars with a gentle squeeze. My Hayes couldn't do it if squeezed the handle as hard as I could.

I am not saying it wouldn't help. I am only saying it shouldn't be needed.

I would love to see your comments after trying them on the 180. It could be a cheap fix. I really don't want to buy new brakes.

mtbr member

You have a very good point. Not to mention factoring in the extra rotational mass and momentum incurred by a size increase.(Math which is way over my head) I believe that's why many 29ers come standard with 180mm+ brake rotors.

But once again bottom line is these brakes just don't stop as well as something only marginally more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Awesome, im in australia too so hopefully i can get them for a similar price. Whats CRC? If its easy enough itd be interesting to see how the hayes go with the 180mm rotor on them. I daresay ill end up just getting the shimanos though, its an awesome bike... aside from the braking issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    CRC, chain reaction cycles? Good old google.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I live in Australia and I use chain reaction cycles for my parts.

Just in case you were interested

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast