Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Have 29ers Peaked ?

I haven't been keeping up with the latest and was wondering if most technology is going toward 27.5ers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with the latest and was wondering if most technology is going toward 27.5ers?
    Yes it peaked and going downhill.....26'ers on their way back in style.

mbtr member
    In terms of the MTB fashion parade, yeah they peaked 3-4 years ago. In terms of being rad bikes... F no. This + bike innovation stuff serves 29ers far better than the cul-de-sac that is 27+. 29er geo only hit it's stride in the last couple years anyway.
    I like cheap stuff that works great and is very sturdy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I don't know if they have peaked, but if so, they sure have a long plateau. It seems that every day I am reading a review of some bad-ass short-travel 29er that is super capable and versatile.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No. But they're now part of the Boost/Plus expansion of options. 27.5+, 29+ and wide rims are pushing things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    29ers are the future. 27.5 is just a stop gap wheel size while narrow minded folks that don't like change get used to the concept bigger wheels and the bike companies that couldn't figure out how to make a decent 29er to get their act together...............

mtbr member
    29er on the way out, 32er is where it is now at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    27.5+ is the latest and greatest and I like it. 29+ with longer travel brings about some compromises for smaller frame sizes (I'm short, so that effects me). I expect to see quite a few bikes being sold with 27.5 2.6" tyres down the track which I'm a big fan of, with some brands opting for 29 2.6" versions for the larger frame sizes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    29er on the way out, 32er is where it is now at.
    Progressive thinking, I like your style

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Pre-boost hub spacing, 27.5s were able to get the correct geometry while 29ers were not able too. 29ers 4 years ago struggled for AM riding (but were solid for XC) and really only worked well for L-XL riders dimensionally.

That has changed. The geometry numbers of the latest crop of 29ers is pretty great and hence, they perform much better.

My recommendation remains however that riders about 5'9" and under are better served with a modern 27.5" and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I just swapped from a 27.5 Bronson to a 29 5.5 but there are still a few aspects that I miss about the 27.5" wheels. In 'trials' stop and go situations they offer clear advantages. Momentum riding the advantage goes to 29ers easily.

As far as being peaked out, um no. As long as millions of people are spending thousands of dollars each on new bikes every year the manufacturers will continue to improve them to chase that dollar. The next big place for improvement is rear suspension design cause as far as I'm concerned only a small handful of manufacturers, in spite of what they claim, are doing this part right.

i like rocks
    After years of being a mostly DH/Resort rider (for fun, not racing) on a 26" dual crown DH bike, who also does some general trail riding on a hardtail 29er, I've recently replaced both bikes with a long travel 29er.

Modern long/low/slack geometry combined with significant improvements in materials, drivetrain and suspension have resulted in 29" wheel bikes that flat out munch down terrain, heading up or down, better than anything else.

I think various wheel sizes will continue to have niche purposes, but i think the 29er has finally matured and we'll see it take over anything meant to be an "all around" machine for the average and taller sized rider.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

connisseur
    Hopefully the "modern geometry" craze has peaked. My first 29er I got 10 years ago did not ride as well as my current bikes, which are both 4 years old now, but this myth that they only climbed well is silly. Even my first one 10 years ago with a 70 degree HA was a blast to descend it was like a plow bike I did many big descents on it including whole enchilada in Moab

My 4 year old Covert 29 fits and handles great and it doesn't subscribe to any of the current geo trends. I'm looking at a new bike now something lighter more trail oriented as the Covert is more AM than trail, but I'm looking to mimic the fit and will be sizing down as the looong front center and wheelbase with this new style geo does not suit me. And I'll run a 80mm stem OMG I'm a roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Yes it peaked and going downhill
    Not too far off. 29er DH is right around the corner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    My recommendation remains however that riders about 5'9" and under are better served with a modern 27.5" and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    Bah, test ride both and go with what you like... Sincerely, a 5'8" guy on a 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Peaked? Nope. At 6'4", won't see me on any midget wheel bike. Oh wait. Unless you include my fat bike with 26x4.8 tires. Ride what ya brung?

i like rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Hopefully the "modern geometry" craze has peaked.
    well, i'd say yes and no. from a practical perspective bottom brackets can only get so low, but they are certainly lower relative to the wheel centerline on a 29er. In my case, the head angle is relatively slack at 66 degrees and i find this to be a massive improvement without a downside (climbing or descending), i'd go so far as to say it could still be a little slacker even still, and maybe i'll try that out in the future by stretching the pike to 160 and adding an angleset.

As for reach and wheelbase, i think you reach a limit where a long reach becomes uncomfortable, despite the handling advantageous, if the cockpit is too long to be comfortable, it won't work and this imo will remain a personal sizing issue.

I think 29ers have been held back by a slightly unrealistic desire to have short chain stays. What i'm on doesn't, it has a fairly long backend so its easier to fit the big rear wheel and you gain stability in both climbing and descending. Again, i'm not seeing the downside here, i can still manual the thing just fine.

So really, i think the continued evolution of geometry and the 29" wheel go hand in hand, and we'll continue to see more and better bikes heading this direction.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Interesting to look at the daily number of viewers for the 26, 27, 29, and plus forums; 29 still tops by far, the plus forum ~1/2 of 29, the 27.5 forum ~1/4 of 29 and well back with about a dozen or so viewing, the 26 forum.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    At 6' 2" I'm on wagon wheels for life. Just wondered what everyone else thought. Glad to see they're still evolving.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Most of the plus forum is probably 27+, and 29ers hage been available for longer. It's no real surprise.

People focus too much on numbers - number of viewers/posts, which bike is faster, theory, blah blah.

What the hell happened to riding for fun?

no motor
    The entire industry peaked and is going down the backside, it's not just limited to 29ers.
    Aging out is inevitable, emotorbikes are not.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    Most of the plus forum is probably 27+, and 29ers hage been available for longer. It's no real surprise.

People focus too much on numbers - number of viewers/posts, which bike is faster, theory, blah blah.

Could you further explain your post ?

mtbr member
    Essentially this is a play on the to common thread theme of which wheel size do you like.

But I will bite, no 29 has not peaked, infact I would say that 29 is going to be on an uptrend again, many new bikes moving over to the size with the new geometry revelations made over the last few years.

(Also being 6' 5" I would never buy a bike with a smaller wheel size.)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    29ers are the standard now. Peaked is a term I guess fits but " new standard " fits better. 26" frames are all but worthless now. For a smaller rider who needs to stick with 26" or 27.5" building a high end bike should be very inexpensive. Look on Ebay at how cheap high end 26er frames are priced and still don't sell.
    29er's are the standard xc and trail bikes now while 26" or 27.5" is just for smaller riders similar to what 24" was in the past.
    I have been looking at carbon frames for a while now and every time I see a cheap priced carbon frame on Ebay I already know it is a 26" before I even look. Makes me mad that I need a 29er.

mbtr member
    Gee at 6'3 i'm glad i'm short enough not to be locked in to only riding 29ers.
    I like cheap stuff that works great and is very sturdy.

mtbr member
    Can't wait for 31er's to take over. I ride an XXL and they just make sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post

Seems pretty evenly split actually 27.5+ HT/FS and 29+ HT/Rigid with a few oddballs in there 26+, 29+ FS, and hybrid wheel combos etc.

mtbr member
    No way they have peaked, not with how great these new crop of short travel 29ers coming out and Plus tires. Also many reviews you read about were bike companys make the same bike in 650b and 29er they always say in the end of the review to buy the 29er.

If you ever watch any of the reviews on youtube by mtbyumyum he always mentions how much faster 29ers are than his 5010. and 90% of his reviews are on the same trial with different bikes.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    More likely the opposite. 27.5 has peaked. The mountain bike sizes of the future are probably 27+ and 29. 27 will still exist, mostly on smaller frame sizes, and 26 on dirt jumpers.

29 is actually in an upswing now, enduro bikes are going 29, followed by DH. Basically they are about to become the dominant size on every MTB discipline that involves speed and time, both up and down.

psycho cyclo addict
    Who cares what has peaked and what hasn't... ride a few different flavors/sizes and see what works best for your needs. If 29er's are out of vogue, you might be able to get one for le$$.

My wife is 5'5 and loves both her hard tail and rigid steel 29er's. She rode a 26er before and could not believe how easily the larger wheels rolled over stuff.

I'm 6'1" and ride all 29er's; two of the four in my stable have tapered steer tubes and I don't notice a dramatic improvement over straight 1 1/8" frames (120mm front suspension on two and rigid carbon forks on the other two). For the types of riding I do, super slacked out is not necessary nor is boost spacing. I like having wheels sets that can convert up to 142x12 so I can swap between bikes (some 135mm) if needed.

Some of my friends ride 6.5" travel full suspension 27.5's with 2.8 tires, boost rear, etc. and it is the right thing for them.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigglet13 View Post
    29ers are the future. 27.5 is just a stop gap wheel size while narrow minded folks that don't like change get used to the concept bigger wheels and the bike companies that couldn't figure out how to make a decent 29er to get their act together...............
    Nice- pretty narrow minded comment all while calling others narrow minded.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pre-boost hub spacing, 27.5s were able to get the correct geometry while 29ers were not able too. 29ers 4 years ago struggled for AM riding (but were solid for XC) and really only worked well for L-XL riders dimensionally.

That has changed. The geometry numbers of the latest crop of 29ers is pretty great and hence, they perform much better.

I just swapped from a 27.5 Bronson to a 29 5.5 but there are still a few aspects that I miss about the 27.5" wheels. In 'trials' stop and go situations they offer clear advantages. Momentum riding the advantage goes to 29ers easily.

As far as being peaked out, um no. As long as millions of people are spending thousands of dollars each on new bikes every year the manufacturers will continue to improve them to chase that dollar. The next big place for improvement is rear suspension design cause as far as I'm concerned only a small handful of manufacturers, in spite of what they claim, are doing this part right.
    You realize boost had nothing to do with it? It was frame manufacturers playing catch up. There have been long travel, short CS 29er for years before boost.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You realize boost had nothing to do with it? It was frame manufacturers playing catch up. There have been long travel, short CS 29er for years before boost.
    Canfield Riot 29er with 140mm travel, 16.28 chain stays and 142 spacing.

Boost was introduced to "boost" bike mfg profits/wallets :-) LOL.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was going to say the same thing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No. 29ers are dominating. We are seeing them featured in FS shorter travel trail bikes in the do it all category, especially after many riders get sick of pedaling a160 mm FS bike around their groomed trails.

29ers are also cutting into longer travel market through the hybrid 29er/27.5+ Swiss Army bike.

29ers are a featured fat bike option.

29ers dominate entry hard tails.

I would also entirely speculate that boost has benefitted 29er more than other wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The perfessor
    - just as the rest are saying; no, 29ers will be around for a while.......bike companies have found ways to get higher lateral rigidity through better wheels, axles, etc... so they ride real well......for us tall folk, 29ers just feel right - everyone I know over 6'0" rides a 29er.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I feel that 29 is finally maturing to the point where I will consider one for my next bike. All my mates and I ride 650b all mountain bikes with 130-160mm of travel. The new crop of 29 seem to be aimed right at this popular segment. I have no use for a steep angled XC bike. 29 is creeping into DH now, and is fairly popular in enduro racing.

As for modern geometry it is gradually spreading to XC race bikes these days which for me is a good thing. A short travel 29 with a slackish HTA and enough length for a stubby stem would be a great 2nd bike around here.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Cactus Cuddler
    They've almost peaked - but they'll reach their apex soon I suspect. The only things holding back 622mm hooped mountain bikes in the past have have been the geometry (now sorted), wheels (overseas carbon has brought that mostly in line), and tires (we're in a really great spot with that).

Now with those things in place, total optimization can start happening, and the crop of 29ers (that are likely 27+ compatible) that started to appear in 2015 are going to be the standard bearers for top end mountain bikes. There will be shorter travel bikes that rip everywhere the terrain isn't chunky (from Scott's new Spark to the Kona Process 111) and the longish-travel do-everything bikes in the 140-160mm travel range (Trek's Remedy29 first got the formula right, now it's the Yeti SB5.5c, Trek Slash, and similar bikes leading that charge).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Remedy was far from the first to get it right.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    I don't think so. Look at bible of bike tests and all the long travel 29er's. I think the manufacturers are just starting to understand 29 geo and how to fit all that size into a manageable package.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I forgot about the BoB Test. I used to look forward to it but now not even on my radar. No Vernon, bummer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well I guess they all sucked for different reasons that I don't understand. Four or five years ago you could not have given me a 29.

mtbr member
    What's probably peaked is is 650b sales. Bike industry has to move to something else to boost sales.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I feel that 29 is finally maturing to the point where I will consider one for my next bike.
    Man, some of you guys totally over analyze. Some of us have been rocking full suspension 29ers since the Gary Fisher 292 days and they were fun as hell back then, and just keep getting better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Man, some of you guys totally over analyze. Some of us have been rocking full suspension 29ers since the Gary Fisher 292 days and they were fun as hell back then, and just keep getting better!
    I had one of those Fisher 292's back in the day....tried everything to like that bike...it was horrible. Ended up riding only 29'er HT's for almost 5 years until I purchased the gen 1 Turner Sultan.

Currently on a Intense Primer and that bike is just fabulous.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Over analyze, maybe. But I'm careful where I spend my bike $.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Well I guess they all sucked for different reasons that I don't understand. Four or five years ago you could not have given me a 29.
    Really? Did you ever ride a salsa Horsethief? Because I still ride my 2012 HT because I have yet to demo anything else that made me say wow this blows my bike away!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If they haven't peaked, what sort of design features will be introduced (or re-intro, as everything old is new).

1x was a hudge improvement for geo. BOOST is either great or trrrbl, Pivots new (or is it old) standard. Most major-ish mfgs are getting their suspension systems dialed (although DW seems as good as anything and it's been around).

So: what are they gonna add, change, or modify to keep improving?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    So: what are they gonna add, change, or modify to keep improving?
    They'll change the wheel size to 32", because bigger is always better right? (unless it's bigger than 29")

Then people will realise that they can get close to the 32" rolling diameter using 29" wheels and fat tyres in a 32" frame. Width will be an issue though, and the big wheels will flex too much, so they'll release superboost frames which will also benefit the wide tyre clearance. Tyres will blow out in width to 4", except people will be tired of all of the extra weight and will clue onto the fact that you can get really good rollover on small wheels with big enough tyres, so they'll go all the way to 5" tyres on 26" wheels...

Keep on Rockin...
    Love my longer travel 275, but it just does not roll over the pedally chunk like a 29.

Local terrain plays a lot into it. If my riding was mostly dirt road riding to the top with long downs, I'd stick with a long travel 275, like a Nomad.

But, when the ups are as techy and steep as the downs the 29er wins. Also, on rolly, pedally, chunky trails, nothing beats the big wheel.

I'm happy on my 275 DH rig as pedaling isn't an issue.

Evolution specific to a 29? I don't know, geo/travel is pretty dialed with the sweet spot being about 5-6" both ends - which is not new. That was the sweet spot for AM riding back in the day - remember the Heckler and 5-Spot in 26"?

The 150/157 rear hub has been a standard for a long time on DH bikes. Moving to plain Boost likely caused more trouble than it was worth. Could have gotten probably the same wheel strength from a rim with an offset spoke bed. Wheel clearance was fixed by loosing the FD. So, I think the 29er could benefit from a 150/157 rear, and unless you have an issue with Q factor, there is little drawback.

Aside from small geo tweeks I think moving to a 157/150 back end would be then next biggest step for 29ers.

mtbr member
    With my racked up ex football body and numerous surgeries I felt cramped on 26er, regardless the size, I jumped on a 29er few years ago, it was like sitting in first class, got me biking again. I do not envision anything else, even 275 does not tempt me in the least. Plus the build factor easier if you have 9er wheel sets laying around, I actually have benefited greatly from the sway to 275 by snagging phenomenal pricing on 9er items, rims, forks, frame, tires......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast