mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Hardtail or Full Suspension

Looking at different options for upgraded my current MTB (a giant revel 1). I'm not a trail specific person, and plan on using the bike for bikecamping / Adventure cycling tours.. I would like to eventually participate in a race one day..

So anyways, what are the opinions on the different suspension types? Should I stay with a hardtail, or go full suspension?

My gut instinct tells me that the full suspension would be a smoother ride, but it would sacrifice the frame bag, while the hardtail would be better for using a framebag, but a bit rougher.. Am I missing anything else in that assessment?

mtbr member
    Your budget could be a big factor. How much can you afford?
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have time to save $$$.. trying to keep it below $5,000 though.

mtbr member
    Will you be using this on rough trails or smooth roads? Another consideration is weight. If you are bike camping you may want I lighter rig.

Also for a $5000 budget instead of getting one bike to handle the different types of cycling get 1 bike that focuses on touring and another for racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklikesbeans View Post
    Will you be using this on rough trails or smooth roads? Another consideration is weight. If you are bike camping you may want I lighter rig.

Also for a $5000 budget instead of getting one bike to handle the different types of cycling get 1 bike that focuses on touring and another for racing.
    Agree
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would say a HT so you can put a carrier on the back as well as the frame bag, I have no idea how far you're gong but supplies are whats important to take with you.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It would be a mix of everything as far as the types of trails, from flat, packed dirt, to gravel, to rough trails, even asphalt.

To be a bit more specific about the racing side of things, it would be for things such as the GDR or ITT along the more.. scenic.. routes.

A bit more on timeframe, this new bike won't be purchased for another couple of years; but when I do get to the point of being able to do 1500+ mile routes, that is when I'll look at the racing (ITT) side, rather than the touring side, of things.

edit: I'm leaning towards the hardtail style due to the reasons stated above.. though the limitations of a rack and framebag can be mitigated by other means, it would just make life a little less complicated. Especially if something breaks while I'm out in the middle of nowhere.
    Last edited by RandomGuyOnABike; 04-24-2013 at 07:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    It would be a mix of everything as far as the types of trails, from flat, packed dirt, to gravel, to rough trails, even asphalt.

To be a bit more specific about the racing side of things, it would be for things such as the GDR or ITT along the more.. scenic.. routes.

A bit more on timeframe, this new bike won't be purchased for another couple of years; but when I do get to the point of being able to do 1500+ mile routes, that is when I'll look at the racing (ITT) side, rather than the touring side, of things.

edit: I'm leaning towards the hardtail style due to the reasons stated above.. though the limitations of a rack and framebag can be mitigated by other means, it would just make life a little less complicated. Especially if something breaks while I'm out in the middle of nowhere.
    +1 for multiple bikes. Get the hardtail now. Dont spend too much money on it (no reason). Maybe 1500-2K to get a very nice bike.

Full suspension is good if you have a lot of rock gardens (up, down or flat) so you dont have to stand up the whole time. It is good for drops.

If you are riding mostly groomed trails, then a FS isnt really necessary.

mtbr member
    I rode a hard tail for years. I prefer my full suspension today but maintain a hard tail as back up and for "groomed" trails.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Your Revel 1 could be improved with a fork upgrade. Nick at Suntour can sell you a Raidon or Epicon for 175 or 250. Random Bike Parts has a Recon Gold for 240-- 1.5lbs. lighter.
    This would keep you going for the wait time.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    Last edited by eb1888; 04-24-2013 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Earlier today I was looking at the Cannondale Lefty Fork and the mounting adapter, which if I could find them, I might try it out, since that could be translated to the new frame.

Though for my non-entry level bike, I'd like to go with a "super-light" frame and better all-around components, but as I said, this won't be for another year or two

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a different take than most. I bought my first fs because I was breaking spokes on the road to work. I probably could climb faster with a hard tail but I don't. I set a pace that I like for the distance I'm going. So for me, a full suspension just makes sense. It lowers the overall maintenance and repair, is a lot more comfortable, and now that I'm mostly off road, if I get to cruising a little fast on the rock garden, it's easier to maintain control and beats me up less. There's never a time I wish I had a hard tail.