mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Hardrock sport disc or Airborne guardian?

I'm looking to purchase my first real mountain bike and I've come down to these two bikes. The specialized hard rock sport disc and airborne guardian. The hardrock I can get at a lbs which is a plus. From my research on the forum, it seems like the guardian is the best bike in the $600 price range. I'm not looking to spend anymore then that. Which one is better out of the two? Anybody suggest a bike other then these in the same price range? Any input would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by mr2turbo200; 06-10-2013 at 05:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Recommend the Specialized based in LBS. fir your first bike, if you dont have the tools and know how to work on your bike, its a good idea to buy from an LBS and form a relationship wi the shop.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm pretty mechanically inclined since I work on both my cars and motorcycles. I think I would be ok to work on my own bike. But thank you for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    In that case, buy the bike that offers the best Feel for you. At the price you are looking, there probably aren't going to be many noticeable differences. Fork will be questionable and heavy, wheels will be heavy, other components will be entry level... Get the one that fits best. Have fun and enjoy the new one
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One major difference is the fork. The Guardian's Rockshox XC28 is a coil spring fork with adjustable rebound damping and 28mm stanchions. It doesn't get too flexy on difficult trails unless you weigh a bit more than 180. The Suntour on the Spec is for bike paths and easy trails only. Nick at Suntour has an upgrade offer for a Raidon air fork for $175. Thread in Beginners. If you buy a Suntour fork bike you qualify. A step up from the XC28.
    So the best bike for that money range is a Bike Direct Gravity Point 1 for $450 and the Raidon air fork upgrade about 635 total. Install is simple following a Youtube video.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    In that case, buy the bike that offers the best Feel for you. At the price you are looking, there probably aren't going to be many noticeable differences. Fork will be questionable and heavy, wheels will be heavy, other components will be entry level... Get the one that fits best. Have fun and enjoy the new one
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    One major difference is the fork. The Guardian's Rockshox XC28 is a coil spring fork with adjustable rebound damping and 28mm stanchions. It doesn't get too flexy on difficult trails unless you weigh a bit more than 180. The Suntour on the Spec is for bike paths and easy trails only. Nick at Suntour has an upgrade offer for a Raidon air fork for $175. Thread in Beginners. If you buy a Suntour fork bike you qualify. A step up from the XC28.
    So the best bike for that money range is a Bike Direct Gravity Point 1 for $450 and the Raidon air fork upgrade about 635 total. Install is simple following a Youtube video.
    Good suggestion too.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...