Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Anthem X3 29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17

    Happy I made the wrong decision.

    I finally upgraded from my scwhinn s-25 to an 2011 Anthem X3 29er! I have only been able to ride it some on the road, but man it awesome.

    I went around town in search of the 2011 anthem x3 and eventually by chance found a place that had one in stock in my size. It is a larger chain bike store(has 4-5 locations throughout state), but it was the bike I wanted so I went ahead. (I wanted to deal with a small very local shop but they could not find one) The owner of the shop I talked to seemed like a used car salesman type. He told me they spend about 45mins -1 hour to fit each rider to their new bike and they have lifetime adjustments and blah blah blah...

    Fast foward to after I bought the bike(in cash), I came in to pick it up after their "lead mechanic" had been "building" it. He asked me to sit on the bike to test the sag, told me it was perfect and I left pretty happy even though it wasnt the 45 min long fitting I was told about. I'm pretty much a newbie I've been out of it so long and Ive never had a FS w/ air shox and it felt a little squishy for my taste so when I got home I figured I'd see what it was set too.

    110psi rear and 50psi front...WTF I weigh 200lbs without gear, and this was their expert mechanic? Needless to say I have serious doubts as to this shop's integrity and doubt I will ever use the free adjustments. It just left a bad feeling in my stomach...So I am very happy the bike (adjusted correctly) is pretty awesome! but dissappointed I had to buy it from a shop like that.

    Anyways I'm looking foward to getting back into riding and have undoubtedly more bike than I will ever need(for my skill level).

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    67
    I wouldnt sweat it. If you can bottom it out easily then you might want to either buy a shock pump and inflate to your liking, or take it back to the shop! You have free adjustments just ask them to add some more air. A new bike wont come prefectly dialed to your liking straight out of the shop. Go out get some riding in and have the shop change something if you dont like it. Have fun!

  3. #3
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,906
    How old was your "expert" mech? Didn't the bike come with a shock pump? Strange if it didn't, Giant is normally good about including those with their FS bikes. Not sure on the new Maestro and 29" wheels and if it changes anything, but when I rode my Trance I always ran the shock about the same as my riding weight - it had a FloatR shock.

    As the above poster said, take it back to the shop and tell them you looked but couldn't find the shock pump that was supposed to come with the bike and if they could see if it's "around", but in the meantime could they please lend you one to add some air as the bike was bottoming out - make sure you speak to someone who looks at least somewhat like they know what it's about.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  4. #4
    Chad
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    58

    FYI- No Pump-

    FYI, I own and sell Giants. They no Longer come with a shock pump.

  5. #5
    Anthem X3 29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    Thanks for the input Luthar.

    I asked about it originally and they said they were not sure so they gave me an old beat up one from the shop, but it was nice of them to give me. They included some cheap plastic pedals for free too. Also the giant owners packet they gave me for my bike had alot information for accessories that are on lower end bikes. I dont think it is the right one. I dont care as I can find information on the internet but Is there anything important I would NEED in the packet?

  6. #6
    Anthem X3 29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    How old was your "expert" mech? Didn't the bike come with a shock pump? Strange if it didn't, Giant is normally good about including those with their FS bikes. Not sure on the new Maestro and 29" wheels and if it changes anything, but when I rode my Trance I always ran the shock about the same as my riding weight - it had a FloatR shock.

    As the above poster said, take it back to the shop and tell them you looked but couldn't find the shock pump that was supposed to come with the bike and if they could see if it's "around", but in the meantime could they please lend you one to add some air as the bike was bottoming out - make sure you speak to someone who looks at least somewhat like they know what it's about.

    The guy looked around 35-45.They carry a wide selection of mountain bikes, I would think in order to be the expert lead mechanic at the store, you would have some knowledge of sag and how to set it. I have since set the sag just based at 170 and will work up from there. I would like to learn how to do everything on my own so I dont have to take it somewhere.

  7. #7
    Anthem X3 29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    I am not going to bash the store anymore. They did throw in some pedals and a shock pump for free and offered to take some nicer pedals off of trade in, if they come across them...

    I think I'm just worried b/c I don't normally buy myself anything especially not this expensive. I would rather my wife and daughter have what they want. So even though we had the extra money, I feel a little guilty...and the guy did come across as a smooth talking used car dealer type. I guess I should give him credit for being good at what he does lol

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    441
    Great bike you have there Chuck22. I also went ahead and bought myself a X3 maybe two months ago. I've gotten faster and riding harder than ever. My LBS threw in some goodies when I bought the bike (like a shock pump). The shock pump has since died and waiting for a new one to come in. It was a cheap plastic one. I can't see myself taking my old trek to the trails anymore. I'm positive you will love your X3 but they should've given you some more goodies with the bike purchase such as gloves, helmet, seatpost bag, water bottle, etc. Don't worry about the sag issue, even if the mechanic had set it up perfectly, curiosity would've gotten the best of you and you would've starting experimenting with psi's.

    FWIW I weigh ~197lbs with gear. Fork is at 90-100psi (depending on terrain) and rear shock is at 210psi
    Last edited by slimphatty; 11-10-2011 at 08:30 AM.

  9. #9
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,126
    The problem with the sit and adjust sag setting is that new shocks have a high static friction in the seals that prevent them from sagging properly. Many times a ride around the parking lot isn't enough either, you really need to hit the trails and ride some. Then set your sag, then as the shock breaks in, lube moves into seals, seals wear some, you will probably need to up the pressure again.

    The same will go for the fork. It is all part of the break in process and this is why bike shops have you come back in to get adjustments a month after you buy the bike. Cables stretch, shifting goes off and suspension feels crummy.

    Go the park tools website and look at the tutorials there. Ask for a basic bike maintenance kit for Christmas/Hanukkah from the family and definitely get a good shock pump, something that you can count on to be consistent. Doesn't have to be accurate but it does need to be consistent. Write down your pressures on the shock with a sharpie and adjust until the bike rides with only one bottom out per ride. Different terrain will require different pressures so the bottom out thing tells you that you have the minimum pressure to prevent damage to your shock on anything but that 0.01% bump. That way you know that it is the optimal pressure of the remaining 99.9% of the trail. Same for the fork.
    Try this: HTFU

  10. #10
    Anthem X3 29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Great bike you have there Chuck22. I also went ahead and bought myself a X3 maybe two months ago. I've gotten faster and riding harder than ever. My LBS threw in some goodies when I bought the bike (like a shock pump). The shock pump has since died and waiting for a new one to come in. It was a cheap plastic one. I can't see myself taking my old trek to the trails anymore. I'm positive you will love your X3 but they should've given you some more goodies with the bike purchase such as gloves, helmet, seatpost bag, water bottle, etc. Don't worry about the sag issue, even if the mechanic had set it up perfectly, curiosity would've gotten the best of you and you would've starting experimenting with psi's.

    FWIW I weigh ~197lbs with gear. Fork is at 90-100psi (depending on terrain) and rear shock is at 210psi
    Slimphatty-I remember reading your posts a while back when i was doing some research on what I was looking for in my price range. I think I paid a little more than you did. Is there anything in your owners packet that is important? I dont want to miss out on anything...

    Is there a website to register the bike in the USA?(The only one I found was for England Residents)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    441
    I got a bike purchase receipt, a fox shocks manual and a giant bicycle owner's manual. You can find all the information can be found online.

    I have not registered my bike but maybe I need to? I think it's here: Registration

  12. #12
    Anthem X3 29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    Rock Crusher- Thanks for the website, I'll have to check that out! I have heard that the adjustments are needed after break in to tighten things back up. I just have my doubts about the mechanics when they tell me it is perfect and the sag is 60-75%

  13. #13
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,906
    While I can agree with RC on the breaking in of shocks and forks sometimes - some have more stiction than others - I cannot agree the mech deserves a break for not even coming close to setting the bike up properly for you. He's their head mech and therefor should deal with these bikes all the time and know that roughly to start you run about the riders body weight in PSI in the shocks and for sure have an idea on PSI for the fork for a riders weight, I mean he wasn't even close - 110 PSI in shock for a 200lb person

    I'll agree with RC on checking out the Park Tools web site, very good site, loads of information and if you don't want to be having to go online every time, buy their book "The big blue book of bicycle repair". Another great resource are the manufacturer channels on You Tube, just search for whatever manufacturer it is you need to work on and I'm sure once it's one of the bigger ones they'll have a video tutorial of whatever it is you want to do/learn.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,435
    Does the anthem have a fox rear shock or the giant proprietary? Mine has the giant rear shock and after 5 or 6 9-11 mile trail ride it is finally starting to break in. Im 165 lbs with gear and I run just shy of 160 in my rear shock, however as it breaks in im sure ill need to up the pressure.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

  15. #15
    Anthem X3 29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    It has a Fox RP2

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkirkpatri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthar View Post
    FYI, I own and sell Giants. They no Longer come with a shock pump.
    For my 2012 Anthem X29er purchase, I asked for the pump that came with the bike and I got one. Probably just a cheapo they had laying around, but a free pump is a free pump.

  17. #17
    Anthem X3 29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    I got a bike purchase receipt, a fox shocks manual and a giant bicycle owner's manual. You can find all the information can be found online.

    I have not registered my bike but maybe I need to? I think it's here: Registration

    Ok, so I am not missing anything that I cant find on the internet-that makes me feel better.

    Also, I think thats the website for Great Britain...I think it is referred to by the "gb" at the end of the web address. I tried subbing in "us" and "usa" with out any luck. Maybe it is my web browser (firefox)???
    Last edited by Chuck22; 11-12-2011 at 11:44 AM.

  18. #18
    I just let one RIP
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    For my 2012 Anthem X29er purchase, I asked for the pump that came with the bike and I got one. Probably just a cheapo they had laying around, but a free pump is a free pump.
    My experience selling Giants: some came with pumps, some didn't. About 50/50, and not dependent on model or price point. I couldn't figure it out.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

  19. #19
    Dirty minded
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    356
    Chuck22
    I don't know what type of riding you do but I do have an Anthem X3 29er and have found that if I set sag between 25-30%, flip the propedal on, I get very good compliance and traction and doesnt bottom out on up to 36" drops. That equates to about 1 1/16 inch for the fork and almost7/16 inch on the rear.
    Have someone stand in front of the bike grasping the handle bars and holding the bike upright while you are mounted on it. Then while standing on the pedals in the attack position, bent legged and bent arms, bounce up and down a few times. This will overcome any sticktion and the suspension will settle into place. With out any further bouncing, slide the o-rings against the seals and step off the bike. Measure the distance to the seal and determine your sag. As little as 5 psi can make a measurable difference.
    That should get you pretty close. Write the psi and sag down somewhere so you can refer to it as needed.

  20. #20
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,925
    The guy may be a hustler. . . . or not, but you did get a good bike.

    I never cease to be amazed how many bikes are set up poorly from a LBS near me, though they generally have the air springs set way too stiff and the tires overinflated by 15psi.

    With the Anthem X 29er, I would start at a setting just a bit under your weight for the rear shock and adjust to suit from there. Better to start a little high and work your way down. 110psi for a 200lb rider = no esta bueno

  21. #21
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,111
    It normally takes me months to get my suspension set up correctly.
    To be fair I have been know to redrill damping circuits if I do not like them.

    There is absolutely no way any guy in any shop can set suspension up perfectly, it is just too personal a preference. You have to take in to account riding style, technique and favourite terrain, no shoppy will know how you want your bike to ride.

    I also do not bother trying any major tuning for weeks, stiction on new suspension will mess it all up. finish line stanchion lube does help with that though.

    Don't worry about the bad tune, you have your pump, read up on what setting do what and learn yourself.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

  22. #22
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck22 View Post

    I think I'm just worried b/c I don't normally buy myself anything especially not this expensive. I would rather my wife and daughter have what they want. So even though we had the extra money, I feel a little guilty...and the guy did come across as a smooth talking used car dealer type. I guess I should give him credit for being good at what he does lol
    Well don't feel guilty be cause there life will be better, If you get to play with something you like you will be a nicer person to be around & being fit does give you the feel goods.

    Also being fitter you will probably be around longer as well & I'm sure that would be a big + for them aswell.

  23. #23
    Anthem X3 29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    Well after riding around the back yard today (I couldn't get the time to actually go riding but wanted to be on my bike) I noticed my foot kept hitting the frame when I pedaled. When I stopped to see what was going on, the actual pedal looked bent. But on closer inspection the actual screwed in core was not bent but at an angle into the crankarm.

    I backed it out to see that it had been cross threaded!!! WTF

    My only guess is that standing up and hammering the pedals caused the crossthreads to slip and sit on the angle?? After searching on line and following the suggestion of screwing it in the backside to remake the threads, I have been able to successfully reattach the pedal. I lost alot of the female thread so I can only hope the integrity is there when I go to hammer on the pedal again...

    I guess I'll have to make time to take it to the bike shop and see if their jack legs that cant screw a darn pedal in correctly can fix it...I'm a little pissed but for some reason not surprised

  24. #24
    recent ss convert
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19
    The shop you bought it from or maybe another in town should have a tool to rethread the crank arm. I've seen this happen a few times and it's usually when people buy new pedals and put them on themselves. They usually don't cross thread them, instead they're not torqued down enough to begin with. If the pedal doesn't get torqued to the crank arm enough, it ends up unthreading a bit from pedaling, then with a little mashing, it gets bent and crosses the threads. Anyway, it's not a terribly difficult or long fix to get the rethreading done. And if they can't rethread, they owe you another crankset/crankarm. I also haven't seen a shock pump with any Giant bikes.

  25. #25
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,906
    If they installed the pedals and cross threaded them then they are liable to give you a new crank, nothing less, or at least I would accept nothing less. If they want to turn around and have the threads reamed and a heli-coil installed to run on a demo bike or, sell as 2nd hand up to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck22 View Post
    Well after riding around the back yard today (I couldn't get the time to actually go riding but wanted to be on my bike) I noticed my foot kept hitting the frame when I pedaled. When I stopped to see what was going on, the actual pedal looked bent. But on closer inspection the actual screwed in core was not bent but at an angle into the crankarm.

    I backed it out to see that it had been cross threaded!!! WTF

    My only guess is that standing up and hammering the pedals caused the crossthreads to slip and sit on the angle?? After searching on line and following the suggestion of screwing it in the backside to remake the threads, I have been able to successfully reattach the pedal. I lost alot of the female thread so I can only hope the integrity is there when I go to hammer on the pedal again...

    I guess I'll have to make time to take it to the bike shop and see if their jack legs that cant screw a darn pedal in correctly can fix it...I'm a little pissed but for some reason not surprised
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Similar Threads

  1. I made the big decision...
    By Ryan_in_AZ in forum Trek
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 02:28 AM
  2. Made the decision.
    By KleinAttitude in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 04:42 PM
  3. decision made!`
    By lawnbike in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 08:08 PM
  4. i think i made a bad decision
    By ningita in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 09:43 PM
  5. The best decision I made all day...
    By Tumbleweed in forum Passion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 12:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •