mtbr member

Handspun Trail 29er Wheelsets?

Anyone have any experience with this retailer of wheels? I see them on ebay as well. Seems like decent prices for Flows laced to X.9 hubs.

Handspun Trail Series 13 Front Wheel 29'er 32h SRAM X.9/Flow 20mm | eBay

Handspun Trail Series 13 Rear Wheel 29'er 32h SRAM X.9/No Tubes Flow | eBay

Handspun Products

MTB B'dos
    Can't says as I've heard/read of them here, but do some searching and if there's some info I'm sure it'll turn up. What I'm curious about is how the front wheel is costing more than the rear using the same X9 series hubs? You can get a Flow/Pro2 front wheel for that price if you shop smartly
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

turtles make me hot
    Guy's got good feedback. Prices seem inline. Makes me wish I had the nerve to sell wheels. I build em for myself and friends, but selling on Ebay... Not sure if I'm ready to step up yet.
    I like turtles

Did I catch a niner?
    Friend has the flow/pro 2 from handspun which is QBP's wheel lineup. They are all hand laced from what I understand, he has not had any issues with his set which came out to a bit over $500 by the end.

Any shop can get the wheels so you may get the cheaper locally and save on shipping.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    I had my Hope/Flow set build for $485 thanks to sales on the hubs from Wiggle and the rims from Price Point. Could have saved more if I had gone with DT 2.0 str8t spokes and or brass or standard color nipples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Might be a fluke but I got a rear stan's arch/x9 from handspun. LBS rechecked the wheel for tension ect and said we were good to go before I ever used it. I did a 36 mile race yesterday with about 40 miles on the wheel before the race. I noticed what I thought was a wobble around mile 20 on a road connector section and couldn't see any wobble in the wheel. I had about 10 spokes about ready to fall out at the end of the race. Not saying this was anyone's fault but its my two cents.

Edit. My lbs contacted QBP and they are sending a brand new wheel out this morning to me. I'm pleased with the wheel holding together like it did for the remainder of the race as the lbs re-tightened everything and said the wheel was perfectly true again. I'll be using handspun again for future wheel purchases.
    Last edited by asetliff; 10-31-2011 at 09:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Been riding a Hope/Flow wheelset & an x9/Flow wheelset from Handspun/QBP for over a year now. Both sets have been totally reliable. I am a larger rider(265lbs kitted up) and have had to touch up the wheels on occassion due to a slight wobble and I have replaced a few spokes, but otherwise they have been great. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

MTB B'dos
    Weird, as having a wheelset that's only a year old and having to replace spokes in them already wouldn't qualify them as wheels I'd recommend, but that's just me personally. Now you are a big guy, so maybe that's the cause All I know is I have a set built by Larry Mettler Pro2/Flows that are now going on 4 years and I haven't had to replace a spoke yet, but I only run anywhere from 180-195lbs ready to ride depending on carrying load, ridden on an FS until last year August, been on a HT since.

Quote Originally Posted by bikewrench View Post
    Been riding a Hope/Flow wheelset & an x9/Flow wheelset from Handspun/QBP for over a year now. Both sets have been totally reliable. I am a larger rider(265lbs kitted up) and have had to touch up the wheels on occassion due to a slight wobble and I have replaced a few spokes, but otherwise they have been great. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    LyNx
    It has been a very bad year for wrist sized limbs finding my spokes. Couple those w/ my size and a bike moving @ a decent clip and a few spokes are going to be sacrificed in the name of a good time. Every one of them has been my doing and would have occurred w/ any other spoked wheel.

mtbr member
    OP, that's 'bout what you'll spend on them at universalcycles where I got mine a year ago...a little cheaper at the time. They still run true with more then 1K of hard Trail miles...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Been riding x9 flows from handspun for just over a year on my rigid single speed. No problems at all...and paid less than 300 for the set new.

MTB B'dos
    Ak, OK, well that's some pertinent info you should include when you post like that, makes a huge difference to what someone will think of the recommendation. Mine luckily have had a few sticks find their way in, but everything has stayed true even though I gouged each and every one of the drive side spokes when I was first setting up my SS/Trials hub with gears and couldn't get the limit screw in far enough to prevent the chain from going over into them - got a longer M4 screw, finally, and problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by bikewrench View Post
    LyNx
    It has been a very bad year for wrist sized limbs finding my spokes. Couple those w/ my size and a bike moving @ a decent clip and a few spokes are going to be sacrificed in the name of a good time. Every one of them has been my doing and would have occurred w/ any other spoked wheel.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    My friend is 250lbs has been using the Handspun Trail 13 REAR for the past season and it's been solid. His only complaint with them is the low engagement X9 hub. It's a solid wheelset but you'd probably be better off in the long run spending a few extra bucks for the Hope Pro2 rear hub. If you just want a bulletproof wheel that's low maintenance, go for the X9

mtbr member
    I run the x9 wheels as SS on my Misfit and the Hopes on the Spearfish. The x9s were supposed to be an inexpensive wheel to get my initial SS build going and they have stuck around. Will more than likely replace the x9 hub w/ an American Classic SS or Hope Evo SS to shave some weight and gain some engagement points.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I understand that handspun wheels are machine laced and hand finished. Built at QBP. Best of both worlds, efficiency to keep the cost down and hand tensioned by an experienced wheel builder.

You can get the same wheels and more offerings from Handspun at AE Bike. Similar or better prices when you factor in shipping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What DFYFZX said...

I had a set that I got from AEBike. Price was great, wheels seemed to be well built, but I got rid of them quickly because of the horrible engagement of the rear hub. I could turn the crank almost 180 degrees before the wheel would turn.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Might want to Look elsewhere.

Bought a rear with arch, comps, aluminum nips, and hope pro 2 disc hub.

Lasted about 1.5 years on a hardtail after replacing several spokes, and lots of attention needed.

My rear 240, supercomp, aluminum nip, 355 shell built by mikesee is now in need of a rebuild after 5 years. No broken spokes, and in need of attention for the last 6 months only. Same rider, same type of bike, lighter duty wheel than the handspun one.

Mike will be getting two hubs for two rebuilds soon. If I had spent the extra $50 instead of cheating out, I would likely still be running the hope setup. Lesson learned.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.