mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Handling differences: 120mm stem + Salsa 17 deg Pro Moto vs. 100mm stem + Fleegle?

I'm currently running a 100mm stem with the Salsa Pro Moto 17 degree bars. I like the sweep but feel like I could do with a bit more length in the cockpit. I'm thinking of switching the stem for a 120mm to give me the length. However, the other option would be to change the bar for a Fleegle, which has 20mm of forward sweep to cancel out the stem shortening effect of so much back sweep.

The problem I have is that I can't really get a grip on how the handling will differ. I'm half thinking that since my hands will be in pretty much the same place in relation to the steerer then the handling should be similar and that the path of the bits in between doesn't matter so much. On the other hand, everyone says that longer stems slow down handling, which I don't want. Can anyone give me some advice?

Recovering couch patato
    The Fleegle does fit long, a friend has it on his bike. I have the 17d Salsa on my bike, and just ordered the carbon version for a Superfly build.

The Fleegle is really rigid. One can tell the difference with the Salsa, whcih weighs half.
    Fleegle has one or two possible real advantages : beef for rough riding (DH/FR jumping), and singlespeeding as it's really wide uncut.

My 17d Salsa is on a 140mm stem, (the top tube of the bike is in the bottom of the length range which works for me) and it feels just fine. No, that doesn't cover it. It rides sublime.

100mm and 17d makes for a short fit, low in the perfect range if you will, a longer stem really shouldn't hurt you at all.
    The handling with a same length Fleegle won't differ much, it's 2 degrees only after all. It's the stiffness that will differ most. Fleegle might have an edge in the hand positions department, it you bar tape wrap the forward sweeping sections.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's really helpful and certainly makes me want to experiment with stems to keep the Salsa ride quality. I was also wondering whether the steering response would vary much between the different set up options - I'm a little worried that a long stem will slow down the steering a lot. However, a 120mm should be ok if you are running 140mm and the bike still handles well.

Recovering couch patato
    Well, I'm a tall guy with pretty broad shoulders, and really long arms. Everything scales up, I end up with a longer stem, wider bars, etc. So your mileage will vary.
    That said, the effective steerer-to-grips reach of a 120mm with 17d is probably in the same range as a 100mm stem plus 5d bar. Short for 26" standards, yet typical for 29" I suppose.

For hand position relative to the steerer, a wide range can work out, opening up a range on top tube lengths that can be a "perfect fit". On my Redline Flight it's now 140mm + 17, on an older Fisher it would be ~110mm + 17.
    My new Fisher will get 120 + 17, which I roughly calculated will be a good fit.

anyone else smell that?
    anybody ridden the 17 degree salsa & the surly torsion bar (which i think is 15 degrees)? i have an 11 degree salsa but wanted a bit more sweep. was wondering if the cro-mo made a big difference over the aluminum (ride quality, etc.).
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Well, I'm a tall guy with pretty broad shoulders, and really long arms. Everything scales up, I end up with a longer stem, wider bars, etc. So your mileage will vary.
    My mileage might not be so different actually - I'm 6'4" with long arms and legs and fairly broad shoulders. I'll give the 120mm stem a go and see how it works out. Thanks for the advice - very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    was wondering if the cro-mo made a big difference over the aluminum (ride quality, etc.).
    I haven't ridden the surly bar, but based on my experience of other steel bars I think you'll find it a lot stiffer than the salsa.

Map Maker
    I have not ridden the Salsa bar but I have ridden the Fleegle and it is HELLA stiff and super wide at something like 28"+ . The Fleegle is meant to be trimmed down to fit.
    I ride a Mary bar and the Bikes on Snow FloWing . The FlowWing is about the perfect bar if I was going to create my own at 27 degrees sweep with a slight 4 deg up sweep. No longer stem necessary.
    The Mary is very comfortable but I think you would need the 120 mm stem to make it work.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club