mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Handlebar height change with new fork help.

I am getting my new fork on today. I am a noob but I saw a good deal on the fork and the stock Suntour coil fork was just ok.

The local bike shop asked me about handlebar height so he knows where to cut. I said I don't know so just leave same height. Right now the are about saddle height.

I could call them and have them change the height if they haven't cut yet.

How would I be able to tell what height to use?

Should I go higher, same or lower?

Any benefits from going higher or lower?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If you don't know where your handlebars are most comfortable then I'd suggest leaving room for at least 10mm-20mm of spacers, you can always cut off the excess at a later date or put the spacers on top of the stem.

MTB B'dos
    I'd most definitely ask them to try and sett the stem/bar back relative to how it was as you're accustomed to it, but I'd also ask them to leave AT LEAST 25mm ontop of the stem with spacers so if you wished you could play about with raising and lowering the stem and see how you like it. Remember, you can always cut off more, you cannot add on.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'd most definitely ask them to try and sett the stem/bar back relative to how it was as you're accustomed to it, but I'd also ask them to leave AT LEAST 25mm ontop of the stem with spacers so if you wished you could play about with raising and lowering the stem and see how you like it. Remember, you can always cut off more, you cannot add on.
    I think my bike came with two spacers (rings) that I saw on it. I would assume they would but them back on.
    Your saying just to leave those spacers on (as long as there about 25mm total)?Then if I want to lower, just remove spacers?
    How would I raise it? Can they leave excess room on the tube and put the handlebars back on to the original height leaving room to raise them up?

Hi There!
    leave some spacers above and below the stem, that way if it needs to be raised you can. if the cut all the extra off the top of the fork now, there is no way to raise it if needed. your lbs should know this.
    NTFTC

MTB B'dos
    like theg said, you want spacers both below and above the stem so you can fine tune your bar height as you like and having a bit of steerer uptop the stem isn't going to cause any issues. Also having spacers ontop the stem can help if in the future you want to swap the fork to a different frame that has a taller headtube, you'll likely have a better chance it'll work. I have the F34 on my Prime with 35mm of extra room for this reason and depending on the geo I'm using or type of riding or even if my back is giving trouble or like right now my left knee is badly injured I can raise the bar to help with weight bearing. I use 5mm spacers so I can fine tune in small increments if I like, right now running 4 below and 3 above until my knee heals.

Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    leave some spacers above and below the stem, that way if it needs to be raised you can. if the cut all the extra off the top of the fork now, there is no way to raise it if needed. your lbs should know this.
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I think my bike came with two spacers (rings) that I saw on it. I would assume they would but them back on.
    Your saying just to leave those spacers on (as long as there about 25mm total)?Then if I want to lower, just remove spacers?
    How would I raise it? Can they leave excess room on the tube and put the handlebars back on to the original height leaving room to raise them up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handlebar height change with new fork help.-dsc_474.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids