mtbr member
    May 2015

Handlebar Assembled Wrong? Or Correctly? Both?

Hey Guys,

I have a question for your wise minds.

I just received a bike that was pre-assembled and i am questioning the layout of the handlebars.

The best way i can describe it is that the "spacer" is on top of the mounting bracket when i think it should be below.
    If you look at the picture below (top), the blue stripe is above where the handlebar mount is.

Is this wrong????

Handlebar Assembled Wrong? Or Correctly? Both?-20150616_225258.jpgHandlebar Assembled Wrong? Or Correctly? Both?-trek-x-caliber-8-trek-black-placid-blue-2015_2.jpg
    I looked at some stock images (bottom) of the 2015 X Cal 8 and all of the other images i have seen have the "spacer" at the bottom.

Was this just assembled wrong or is it designed to be an option?
    If it is an option, what differences does it make to have the handlebars 1 inch higher or lower?

Thank you in advanced for your help.
    Last edited by casums180; 06-17-2015 at 03:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't know but this post is assembled wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yea, the administration has to approve some pics I took. I edited it and now it doesn't show the original post. Maybe it'll come back if approved again.

mtbr member
    Okay now the pictures and post are here. The spacers are all stacked on the top of the stem. you can position them however you want to so that you get the handlebars at the most comfortable height. You may want to put some below the stem and play around with it until you find the most comfortable position. If after you find what works the best and let's say for instance that it turns out that you actually like it with the stem at the bottom like it is now, then You will probably want to cut down the steer tube so that you don't have all of those spacers on top. I would only have one on top of the stem or two at the most. Just remember that once it is cut you can't make longer again so be absolutely sure before you cut it.

Here is my bike when I got it with all the spacers below the stem. And then after I changed the fork which is 20mm longer I at first put all the spacers on top. I have since settled with all but one 10mm spacer below the stem and also changed the stem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handlebar Assembled Wrong? Or Correctly? Both?-new-bike2.jpg  

Handlebar Assembled Wrong? Or Correctly? Both?-after-new-fork.jpg  

Handlebar Assembled Wrong? Or Correctly? Both?-10mm-spacer.jpg  

Last edited by huckleberry hound; 06-29-2015 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks doe that makes perfect sense to me now that i think of them as separate spacers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You can have soacers above the stem, sometimes it is done before the steerer tube is cut in order to decide on where to cut. Some, like me, don't want to cut the steerer tube so I have soacers on top, like if you wanted more options for positioning the stem (and bars), or if you ever want to sell the fork later.

I have read that there should be at keast one spacer below the stem. I don't know why, others probably know. I cannot tell from your picture but check to make sure there is a spacer below the stem, too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's just an adjustment. You can raise or lower your handlebars to your liking. A lot of people run minimal spacers and flip their stem so that the bars are much lower, which gets the bar to ground height about the same as on a 26" bike. If that's uncomfortable, you can add more spacers or adjust the stem to bring the bars up. It's all rider preference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That seems excessive above the stem, nothing wrong with spacers above but you need to make sure the top cap bolt is actually threaded into the star nut inside the steerer, if it is not than your headset is probably loose so check that.

check headset first, place bike on solid ground lock out fork if you can, grab headset with one hand and front brake with other slightly rock bike forward backward and you should some looseness if there is any, if all feels solid likely no issue.

I personally would go ahead and remove top cap make sure the bolt is threading ALL THE way into the star nut inside the steerer.

If you have looseness and top cap bolt for star nut is all the way in loosen stem and tightened top cap do NOT over tighten. Than torque stem to spec.

If the bolt did not thread all the way in star nut you need move some spacers around until it is.

If this doesn't make sense have a bike shop check they should do quickly and for cheap (maybe free). If you know where you want your stem have them cut down your steerer while you are there.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    When you move the spacers around you obviously loosen the stem from the steerer tube. The purpose of the topcap is to tighten the entire stack, you dont need to do it too tight just enough to grip everything together. The purpose of the topcap is to remove all slack from the stack until you tighten the stem, but the stem holds everything in place when riding. The top spacer should be slightly higher than the tube otherwise the topcap wont tighten the entire stack.

Once you tighten the topcap you can tighten the stem on. Once the stem is tight, it doesnt really matter how tight the topcap is as the stem will be holding the steerer tube in place.

As you raise/lower the stem you might find it harder/easier to lift the front or find that you have too much/little pressure on your hands. Adjust the height until you feel comfortable on extended rides 2+ hours.