Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

HammerHead Thumper, thoughts?

I just came across this bike from HammerHead bikes. What are your thoughts? Has anyone heard much about it?

HAMMERHEAD THUMPER FRAME - Hammerheadbikes.com
    Last edited by atekt; 10-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It certainly seems interesting, but they'd have to price it below the competition for me to consider it. I can get a Horsethief or Satori for $1300 and know that replacement parts and warranty will be available. For $1500, I can get a Trance.

mtbr member
    I wonder what the deal is? It's basically an four bar design like a Specialized FSR. Specialized protect their patent jealously and will sue anyone who copies it. Are Specialized building this frame for them with the HH brand?
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

AZ
    banned
    Trance X 29er complete for a little more coin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I wonder what the deal is? It's basically an four bar design like a Specialized FSR. Specialized protect their patent jealously and will sue anyone who copies it. Are Specialized building this frame for them with the HH brand?
    I believe their patent has expired. Their is going to be lots of ribbing when BikesDirect releases a speshy look a like.

get down!
    I like it, just think the name/graphics are meh. I would rather it said Hammerhead than Thumper. Seems like the geometry is great though.
    Last edited by appleSSeed; 11-04-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Davir
    some close up observatioms on the thumper
    no press fit bottom bracket = readily avalaible and inexpensive replacement
    no nonsense cable routing under the top tube and out of harms way
    very smart use of hydro forming streghtening areas where its needed but not just becuse it looks good
    dialed trail bike geometry all who have demoed them have returned with rave
    reviews

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davthedude View Post
    very smart use of hydro forming streghtening areas where its needed but not just becuse it looks good
    reviews

In a nutshell.
    Looks bloody good to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for sharing the link. I bought a Hammerhead 100x about 10 years ago from Hammerhead when Charles Coker was running it. I LOVED that bike and sold it to a good friend of mine when I went 29er full time. He still rides it and I love to ride it occasionally as well.

This trailbike looks like something I would be interested in although curious about the weight. I love the head angle and chainstay length. The old Hammerhead 100x 26er was a Titus product. Would also be curious if this is sourced directly from Asia or via someone else. The price looks nice as well. The only thing I don't like is the "thumper" graphic as others have mentioned.

mtbr member
    Looks so good I'm posting a picture
    You could always erase the T, leaving Humper which sounds good to me

Cassoulet forever !
    Whah !

I saw this frame at Eurobike, under a different name !
    I think it was "caribou". Guys look eastern.
    I checked it out and thought it was a Satori until i saw the rear dropout pivot.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    Whah !

I saw this frame at Eurobike, under a different name !
    I think it was "caribou". Guys look eastern.
    I checked it out and thought it was a Satori until i saw the rear dropout pivot.
    Well done, looks pretty similar to me except they are suggesting a 120mm fork. Lower prices may be found me thinks...........

CARIBOU MTB FRAMES

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    I just came across this bike from HammerHead bikes. What are your thoughts? Has anyone heard much about it?

HAMMERHEAD THUMPER FRAME - Hammerheadbikes.com
    Looks like a 29er version of a Titus Motolite.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I rode one few weeks ago on some nice technical singletrack near their shop. I couldn't find anf flaws. Weight was under 30 pounds with a nice spec nothing real low weight. I have 8the bikes currently and it climbed as well as any of them and held its line through the rocks perfect. I couldn't find any flex.

Davir
    full lenght cable routing to front and rear derraliers will make them low maintenace,

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    The bike is named after an arse kicker of a trail in the designers home turf.
    I hope to demo one this week! (on the trail it is named after)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

thumper demo event

Looks like they are having a demo event at the trail the bike is named after
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HammerHead Thumper, thoughts?-image.jpg  

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Just a rebadged Titus. Big yawn...

Keep on Rockin...
    Nice looking design and very similar to the very well liked Stumpy FSR, but....

If Charles really wanted it to rip like a real thumper he'd have given it a 27.5" rear wheel with a fatty tire, and kept the 29" up front. This is how I ride my Spec FSR Stumpy 29er, and for ,hard trail riding it excels over a straight 29er. I run a relatively fatter, heavier tire out back and ride and turn the bike much more from the back end. The only thing I'd like to see is short stays to take full benefit of the slightly smaller rear wheel.

Reading this Charles?

Thoughts?

PS.... With all that said, this bike, as is, looks very nice.
    Last edited by Miker J; 10-16-2012 at 05:02 PM.

bucking the fends
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davthedude View Post
    reviews
    Seriously? This is your plan?

Put the purchased name of an old brand on some stock OEM crap frame, then pump it up in forums with absolutely ridiculous posts riddled with spelling errors?

I am impressed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Nice looking design and very similar to the very well liked Stumpy FSR, but....

If Charles really wanted it to rip like a real thumper he'd have given it a 27.5" rear wheel with a fatty tire, and kept the 29" up front. This is how I ride my Spec FSR Stumpy 29er, and for ,hard trail riding it excels over a straight 29er. I run a relatively fatter, heavier tire out back and ride and turn the bike much more from the back end. The only thing I'd like to see is short stays to take full benefit of the slightly smaller rear wheel.

Reading this Charles?

Thoughts?

PS.... With all that said, this bike, as is, looks very nice.
    I'm with you one this one, I will be experimenting with a 26" FS frame with the same set up soon. Makes logical sense to me.

I don't get the negativity, the bike has good geo, a slack ha and 130mm rear travel, there's not alot of big travel 29ers out there that tick those boxes.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008

Demo ride

Well here are some first impressions. I rode it for a couple of loops on its namesake trail, Thumper. This trail is a technical nightmare to some (all?), a combination of steep loose off-camber constant up and down, tight switchbacks, strewn with downed tree trunks as 'extra credit' trail features positioned at the top of some of the climbs. And a few well placed berms. I ride a 27lb Anthem X 29er with a Reba 120, carbon hoops and some other nice bits, and rode a preliminary loop on my bike to have a benchmark to gauge by.
    The bike has slack angles, but I overhead many comments surprised on how quick it steers, which after my ride I totally agree. Thumper never left me felling as though I was wrestling with it. It flicked, flowed, eagerly pumped trail features. Though heavier than my flyweight all mountain steed, I never felt I was being punished by the weight during the climbs or hoisting the front tire over the various ledges and previously mentioned tree trunks. To my surprise, I rode certain uphill sections cleaner while riding Thumper than when own my own bike. On that punchy little trail, it performed point and shoot as well as my bike
    The cockpit on my demo bike was set up to where it felt very 'motocross'. My bike I'm pretty much nested into, where as this bike I rode more upright and on top of. It initially felt odd and took a little while to get used to. It also had a Reverb seatpost, but once I had the saddle height where I wanted it I never used it. I wanted to see how easy I could get behind the saddle with out the dropper and was pleased with how easily I transitioned about the cockpit.
    The rear suspension was smooth and consistent, though I like to run my suspension sagged pretty deep and I think that the Fox shock my have had a bit too much air in it for my taste. It just felt to me like there was a bit too much platform being applied (for that trail), although the Fox CTD was set to descend. The Revelation 140 fork was like a magic carpet, floated over everything and never failed to put a grin on my face. The Avid brakes stopped well, but produced a lot of noise and vibration. (Avid/Sram... wtf? This has been going on for years now... fix that crap!)
    The demo trail showed me the bike was easily maneuverable in tight quarters, but I really feel like Thumper wanted to hit up some big country riding with 4' ledges, berms, kickers, big undulations in the trail to pump off of and chunky descents to fly down wide open.... I hope I get to ride it again!

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbem View Post
    Well done, looks pretty similar to me except they are suggesting a 120mm fork. Lower prices may be found me thinks...........

CARIBOU MTB FRAMES
    That Caribou has a 10x135 dropout and no high-mount bolt-on front derailleur bracket. The Thumper is 12x142 and has the front derailleur bracket. Otherwise, they look pretty much the same to me, too!

transmitter~receiver
    DOH!

tricked by a dead thread dig.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-14-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was able to test ride one of the thumper frames the other weekend. Pedals better than my satori but that could be due to the ctd shock on the thumper or the lower travel. While it was a decent cornering bike, I wouldn't call it nimble in the tight and twisty stuff. It took a lot more body language to make tight corners than my satori.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast