Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Short-Change-Hero
    Not sure yet as he is still waiting on them (changed on him at the last minute to the 20mm axle for front). You can get pretty much the same thing from BikeHubStore with convertible front and rear.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Nice! Thank you!

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I've also posted these pictures in 'Post your Hammerhead / Switchback' thread but I said I'd show them here so here they are.

It weighs 13.3kg / 29.3 lb which is pretty good with a reverb and pikes. It will usually be around a kg (2.2 lb) heavier though with Flows and heavy duty tyres fitted.

Shifter fitted in photos but no front mech yet as the one I had didn't work so I've got a narrow / wide chainring on until the new front mech arrives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Short-Change-Hero
    very nice... post up more pics and build specs in the Hammerhead/Switchback Bikes thread in the Other Manufacturers section.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Do y'all feel it would be neutering this frame to mount up a Fox 32 120mm fork? I've got a Fox 32 120mm CTD FIT Adj Kashima that I don't want to part with. Should put my HTA right around 70*.

What I like about this frame is: 31.6 post, BSA bottom bracket, 12x142 rear.

I don't 'need' 130 of squish in the rear (would be just fine with 4.5-5" of travel)

The closeout price keeps me coming back. I'd be doing a frame swap from a Giant AnthemX 29 (want a little more beef, but don't need an AM bike) with a lightweight XC/trail build (carbon parts wherever possible).
    '14 Remedy 9 - Pike, XT's, XO/X9, hookless carbon
    '14 Jet9 RDO - Reverb, XT's, XO/X9, hookless carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Thumper on the Rocks!

whoops. I posted this already but not on the thread I intended! Forgive me if you've already seen it elsewhere on here:

I took my Thumper out to the Peak District in the UK over the weekend. The photos below don't do it justice but there's some incredibly steep, incredibly rocky sections out there - tricky riding and very tough on any bike.

The Thumper blew me away. It climbed superbly with the back end just soaking everything up so I could just sit down and efficiently pedal away.

Downhill - I've never experienced anything like it. So stable, so plush, yet somehow so accurate to steer and keep on line. I usually feel like I'm slightly out of control down these sections and getting pinged about by the rocks. On the Thumper I had so much confidence the bike would go exactly where I wanted and would just squash everything in it's path - I was looking further ahead, riding much more relaxed , going faster, and most importantly, absolutely loving it!! The pictures below really don't do the terrain justice - you'll have to believe me, it's steep, loose and rocky!

I've also ridden it at a twisty, rooty trail centre at Sherwood Forest. Much, much more pedal efficient than I expected and the handling is just awesome. The lateral stiffness through the whole bike makes the steering so accurate and predictable. Not barge like at all - I wouldn't need this to turn any faster than it does. Loads of grip and feel from both ends too.

If I'd paid the same 1800 ish ($3000 ish) on a new frame as a couple of my friends have with their Santa Cruz', if it turned up with the same high quality construction and finish as the Thumper and rode as well also, I would be extremely happy!

Anyone considering options between a 27.5 or 29er...........

I competed in a UK Gravity enduro even in Wales the weekend before this. The bikes need to be fast downhill in all situations - including plenty of tight twisty stuff, some timed sections have a reasonable amount of pedaling involved also, and then you have an approx 40 minute climb back to the top of the hill for the next timed section down. A great all round test of a bike and rider. The top 3 riders in the Elite class were all on 29ers. Says a lot more to me than what the magazines and bike companies are wanting us all to believe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandwhiteblade View Post
    That looks like like some serious fun!!

Short-Change-Hero
    I saw that and instantly puckered.... Looks like fun but I know myself and know that more than likely either the bike would come away with scars or myself (likely both) on something like that!
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: HammerHead Thumper, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    I saw that and instantly puckered.... Looks like fun but I know myself and know that more than likely either the bike would come away with scars or myself (likely both) on something like that!
    Its not so bad, the bike will get you through it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

That's wet limestone too - it doesn't get more slippy that that stuff. It's the first time I've ever cleared that section in the wet without a foot down and my friend went over his bars on it and hurt himself a fair bit. I took the photo when I was walking back up looking for him when he hadn't appeared at the bottom!

mtbr member

Offset Shock Bushings

A new customer in The UK just sent me this link:

Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

Offset shock bushing hardware to slacken or steepen your HA....very interesting

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post

Thats what I need! It should drop the BB as well!

Short-Change-Hero
    Interesting.. but what is the benefit of slacken or going steeper on then shock angles?
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas

Interesting.. but what is the benefit of slacken or going steeper on then shock angles?
    Changes how the bike behaves. A slacker bike is more stable, but it will corner and climb worse. I like a slack bike.

mtbr member
    It's like my spark frame had a little chip that you could flip to slacken our steepen the hta and it would raise and lower the bb a bit

mtbr member

HammerHead Thumper, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Thats what I need! It should drop the BB as well!

Thought you would dig it....if you go for a set you'll have to post up a ride report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

It adjusts the Effective Eye to Eye distance of the shock which adjusts the Head Angle & BB height....
    Slacker HA, lower BB...better on the DHs & in the high speed turns (more Enduro)
    Steeper HA, higher BB....better on the climbs and in tighter terrain (more Trailbike)

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the upper (frame side) shock bushing size? 22x8? 22x6?

I currently have a Burgtec Ti 22x6, 3mm offset shock bushing. Hoping it'll fit this frame.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Does anyone know the upper (frame side) shock bushing size? 22x8? 22x6?

I currently have a Burgtec Ti 22x6, 3mm offset shock bushing. Hoping it'll fit this frame.
    Sorry..... 22 x 2.8...front & rear

mtbr member
    Sorry..... 22 x 2.8...front & rear

Assuming you mean 22.2x8?

Scott, I'll be in Tulsa (specially, BA) next week for work. Do you do yours? Visits? Local pickup options?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Assuming you mean 22.2x8?

Scott, I'll be in Tulsa (specially, BA) next week for work. Do you do yours? Visits? Local pickup options?
    HA! Yep...typo....traveling next week too....e-mail me, like to coordinate meeting up though

mtbr member
    Working on a Hammerhead Thumper graphics to Switchback Unveil9 Powdercoat/Graphics transition....here's a peak

Attachment 887620
    How much to custom Powdercoat one of the remaining Thumpers in XL?

Short-Change-Hero
    Don't think he has any XLs left... If you do Scott send me a quick message as I may have someone that wants one.

And she is done!!!! Shakedown ride to happen in a couple days!

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

So stoked to get this out! Will take some better photos when I get the chance to actually set her up. And since I got my new Canon EF to EF-M adapter last night I can play with some of my other lenses now! Not that the 22mm on my M was a bad lens. Now I am seriously looking at a good UWA lens but the wife has already made threats against me if I buy anything else before she gets a new paddleboard!
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How much to custom Powdercoat one of the remaining Thumpers in XL?
    Us getting them powdercoated and updated graphics applied didn't really take off....people have been choosing to do that on their own....a local PCer can give you a quote....the going rate seems to be $150-$200 depending on complexity of the PC

We have Gry Anodized and the Black Cherry Painted frames in stock in Size XL

We also have the Unveil9 frames going through the final stages of Anodizing/Decals/Assembly. We are expecting those to be ready to ship in Sept (waiting on the Monarch RC3 Plus Debonair shocks).
    I may be able to work out a pre-order price on one of those if interested

Here is a behind the curtain look at some of the Ano/Decal/QC process

HammerHead Thumper, thoughts?-headbadgeinstall3.jpg

HammerHead Thumper, thoughts?-img_2742.jpg

HammerHead Thumper, thoughts?-img_2739.jpg

HammerHead Thumper, thoughts?-img_2737.jpg

HammerHead Thumper, thoughts?-img_2741.jpg

HammerHead Thumper, thoughts?-img_2740.jpg

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast