Ramp Local

Halo Freedom Disc 29er

I have had a set of Halo wheels for the past year. Front is a Halo Freedom Disc 29er 32h, Rear is a Halo Freedom disc 29er 36h Pro. Both with Halo hubs. I am 225# and found this wheel set to be very good for its price. The only thing I have done is re-greased the freewheel. So far I haven't had to true the wheel. I do a lot of jumping and bunny hoping. This is on a hardtail. What are your experiences with Halo Freedom discs 29ers?

mtbr member
    I had a set laced w/Hope Pro2/DT Swiss Comps a few years back and I can remember one instance where I was running a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 and I was carving a turn and the whole tire/tube blew off and I had a pretty decent crash. As a side note I am 6'5" and weighed 210 @ the time.

I would seriously spending a few extra bucks and build something with Stan's ZTR Flow Rims. Seriously. Especially as a larger rider who (I speak from experience) a larger cusher high volume tire.

just sayin'

PF

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

small member
    Jun 2006
    so that was the rim's fault that the tube/tire blew off???

usually cranky
    a freedom is as wide as a flow so im thinking either the tire was bad/ too low a pressure/ or the bead hook was damaged.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have been running the same wheels on my KM for about four years. They have proven to be bullet proof. They are heavy, but my original goal when building this bike was to have a worry and maintenance free bike. These wheels have done just that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I rode Halos with the Spin Doctor hubs for around 1 1/2 years and never had a problem. They just stayed true reguardless of the abuse (im around 200lbs w/o gear). After slipping more and more into CC and XC ranges I decided the Halos were too heavy, but I still havent found such a "fire and forget" wheelset sience.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    the Halo Freedom was my first 29er based wheelset laced to XT756 hubs and ran them for over a year and they just kept asking for more. so when i built a much lighter set of wheels i never even thought of getting rid of these...bomb proof wheels make for a great backup set!

mtbr member
    Iíve been using the pre-built front wheel from Halo with the Freedom Disc rim and Spin Doctor convertible for the last couple months. Itís been trouble free and very stiff.

My only complaint is with the Spin Doctor hub. The QR end caps thread into a sleeve and the 15mm end caps and held in place in the hub with o-rings, but the 20mm end caps donít attach to hub so you have to hold the pieces in place while trying to thread the axle through. Iím really not a fan of that part, especially combined with a Manitou hex axle that is already slower to install