Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Halo Choir Master in stock @ BTI

    Just noticed the Halo Choir Master 29 x 2.35 is finally available. Have your LBS call BTI if you want a set.

    I have no connection to BTI, Halo and do not sell them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  2. #2
    Ozark Native
    Reputation: lil hillbilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    603

    but...

    would ya run em? more pic content sigg pls.
    http://queencitycycles.com home of the shiftless bastards

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by lil hillbilly
    would ya run em? more pic content sigg pls.
    I have a pair on the way.
    Pic from the Halo site

    http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/choirmaster-29.html
    Disappointed they felt the need to reduce the tread depth to 3.5mm from the 5mm of the 26" version. Afraid of the weight?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    awesome
    Reputation: dblspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    775
    I have a choirmaster as front tire, converted to ghetto tubeless, and I'm loving it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    Must get one of these ordered, seem them at UKbikestore or somewhere for £20, mounted on my Halo Freedom Rim

    Look abit more agressive than the Rampage I've got in ( not ridden no wheels or forks )

  6. #6
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,546
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I have a pair on the way.
    Pic from the Halo site

    http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/choirmaster-29.html
    Disappointed they felt the need to reduce the tread depth to 3.5mm from the 5mm of the 26" version. Afraid of the weight?
    Gotta love it. Very fitting names to distinguish prepubescent from postpubescent.

    Choir Boy is the name of the kiddie wheeled version.

    Choir Master is the name of the big wheeled version.

  7. #7
    err, 27.5+
    Reputation: AL29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,944
    Looks like a fun tire. I have 3 new tires in a pile to try, so these will have to wait a while. Now if only BTI would get the Halo Freedom Disc in 36h back in stock I would be in business
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Big Chipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    174
    Shiggy, you ever get around to testing a Weirwolf 2.55 LT?

  9. #9
    Low speed, High Drag
    Reputation: kevhogaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    819
    I like it. Kind of looks like a resolution, with a couple extra tread blocks in the middle. I might have to try one, when my Resolution wears out, or I rip the sidewall out.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

  10. #10
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,219

    Question

    Would anyone have an idea if this tire is comparable to a Resolution at all? I've got a pair of Resolutions and I wouldn't need a duplicate of that tire if they are similar.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

    Blog
    RidingGravel.com

  11. #11
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Gotta love it. Very fitting names to distinguish prepubescent from postpubescent.

    Choir Boy is the name of the kiddie wheeled version.

    Choir Master is the name of the big wheeled version.
    LOL I had not noticed the slight name difference.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  12. #12
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chipper
    Shiggy, you ever get around to testing a Weirwolf 2.55 LT?
    WTB has not had a set to send me. Soon.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  13. #13
    You know, for kids
    Reputation: madcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,585
    I like that it's got a wire bead and is still slightly lighter than the rampage

    I need to order a pair

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: singlespeedstu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    563
    I picked a pair of these up the other day. Not got round to trying them yet, but I think I might go and throw them on now ready for tonights night ride.

  15. #15
    Hike it or Bike it!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    I like that it's got a wire bead and is still slightly lighter than the rampage

    I need to order a pair
    wire bead? ........ah.....tubeless ready then.....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    Any idea on Size Stu ?? width and height fitter, Rampage 2.35 is atad smaller than I'm riding in 26" land so not a far test platform.

    Also any good ??

  17. #17
    bcd
    bcd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Would anyone have an idea if this tire is comparable to a Resolution at all? I've got a pair of Resolutions and I wouldn't need a duplicate of that tire if they are similar.

    i am running Resolutions on my xc, i would think these would have better extreme side
    cornering with that nice row at the edge and a good gap to the middle row of knobs.

    i cut my nevi's to feel like that for my last race and loved them.


  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    784

    ... and if we just ... Room left

    Quote Originally Posted by bcd
    i am running Resolutions on my xc, i would think these would have better extreme side
    cornering with that nice row at the edge and a good gap to the middle row of knobs.

    i cut my nevi's to feel like that for my last race and loved them.


    Alex is that ur fox 40 with that tire if so u have alot of room there still for a bigger tire it would seem. The fork looks very stout still after shaving some out.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

  19. #19
    bcd
    bcd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY
    Alex is that ur fox 40 with that tire if so u have alot of room there still for a bigger tire it would seem. The fork looks very stout still after shaving some out.

    yep, i have plenty of room for a 2.5 i bet.
    i'll pm you about yours , i worked all day but will call tomorrow.


    alex

  20. #20
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,809
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I have a pair on the way.
    Pic from the Halo site

    Disappointed they felt the need to reduce the tread depth to 3.5mm from the 5mm of the 26" version. Afraid of the weight?
    No chance to measure these yet? Would like to hear initial impressions on it if you have ridden it at all. but would love width and volume specs.

    My Rampage front has scared me a half dozen times on my new Canzo; I'm going faster and cornering harder. There is a point where it washes out, and then a little further over and it catches and stands back up!

    The further wrap around on the tread has me wondering...
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    64
    I've had one for a few weeks and like it a lot. I run it in combination with a Rampage in the back. Given, the only other tire I've had are the Bonties that came with my Paragon.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    352

    Ramp/Halo Combo Here

    Ramp up front and Halo on Back. TK rims.

    Good tire so far. Hooks up in the NC clay, quartz and roots fine.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    Size from memory fitted to 21mm Halo Rims is 54mm Knob to Knob width, 49mm's rim to top.

    There a rounder profile than the Rampage role nicely down the middle.

    All over a better tyre than the Rampage, Rampage roles on dry ground abit better but thats abit it.

    Mud wise, better than the Rampage but the knob heights abit low to be brilliant.

    Put them on wet rocks and man made terrain though, and bags of grip low knob height ='s no squirming, big enough volume to handle it.

    Halo Man Made Trail Centre / Rocky area tyre.
    Rampage Dry ish forest track.
    Bonty ACX 2.2 All rounder which handles mud reasonibly well for a none mud specific tyre.

  24. #24
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,809
    I love the opinions here, seriously. Two replies with differing uses of Halo/Rampage front and rear, or rear and front, or vice versa....
    I know there is ot "best answer", but two replies, two opinions.
    Anyone else like the Halo better than the Rampage on the front????

    Quote Originally Posted by mld2t
    I've had one for a few weeks and like it a lot. I run it in combination with a Rampage in the back. Given, the only other tire I've had are the Bonties that came with my Paragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by staz
    Ramp up front and Halo on Back. TK rims.

    Good tire so far. Hooks up in the NC clay, quartz and roots fine.
    I like your hand model pointing out the axle or disc there as well.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    I've tried both, front only, Rampage was good when it was dry loads of grip, but first time it rained it just kept washing out of the time, the Halo was much better in the same conditions.

    Halo's a very soft compound, grips to rocks and stuff fantastically even when wet, why it's my rocks / man made trails tyre didn't let me down going down snowdon at speed while it was raining

  26. #26
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    No chance to measure these yet? Would like to hear initial impressions on it if you have ridden it at all. but would love width and volume specs.

    My Rampage front has scared me a half dozen times on my new Canzo; I'm going faster and cornering harder. There is a point where it washes out, and then a little further over and it catches and stands back up!

    The further wrap around on the tread has me wondering...
    I posted the specs here a month ago
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  27. #27
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,809
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I posted the specs here a month ago
    Thanks.

    I did search, but for some reason that did not show up. Bookmarked now. Too busy to update your site? Jobs suck....
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  28. #28
    awesome
    Reputation: dblspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    775
    Hi all, I'm resurrecting this old thread because I'm thinking about moving my worn out (about 30% left in it) choirmaster front tire to the rear, clearance issues aside, any thoughts on this, is anybody running a choirmaster as rear tire?

  29. #29
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    Hi all, I'm resurrecting this old thread because I'm thinking about moving my worn out (about 30% left in it) choirmaster front tire to the rear, clearance issues aside, any thoughts on this, is anybody running a choirmaster as rear tire?
    It works but a worn tire will not grip as well as a new one.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  30. #30
    awesome
    Reputation: dblspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    775
    Thanks for the reply shiggy. I have a brand new mtn king I could use, but it's the beginning of the dry season here and I'd rather save it for later. At the same time it'll probably work better and give more cush than the totally worn out Ignitor it's going to replace.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    should be okay as long as your not riding in mud on the rear, good profile so should role quick enough and transition well.

    Try it.

    Don't even talk about Conti's new minimal tread tyres, there pathetic, if it wasn't for people spent good money on them, i bet they'd review them alot worse.

  32. #32
    awesome
    Reputation: dblspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    should be okay as long as your not riding in mud on the rear, good profile so should role quick enough and transition well.

    Try it.

    Don't even talk about Conti's new minimal tread tyres, there pathetic, if it wasn't for people spent good money on them, i bet they'd review them alot worse.
    Should be okay then, it's dry season here and the Choirmaster will be dead until it gets muddy again, I'll report back here asap. The mtn king looked promising on the other hand, but only time will tell.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    The speed king was the most aweful tyre I've EVER ridden, a bad combination of dragging like crazy on roads and hard pack, utterly useless in even the slightest bit of mud and made rocks feel like they where made out of ice.

    Shame there are no WTB Prowlers especially the SS in 29er form thats a cracking 26" rear tyre, didn't cope with the mud today, but neither did some of the lads full on mud tyres, role speed kicks there ass.

  34. #34
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,351
    The Mtn Kings really I think are a very good loose or mud tyre, on anything else they're quite sketchy. I decided to give them a go again yesterday and they once again proved themselves this way. Totally sweet on the real loose stuff - mud, gravel, cane trash, grassy bits etc - but on the hard stuff they felt so sketchy and even though I didn't take any fals from them, it just didn't feel right.

    All this being said I will add this.......I have a 2.4" and a 2.2" and they run super small for what they're labelled. The 2.2" is IMHO about as big a a decent 1.9" tyre and rolls off of anything and just feels plain sketched out - grips like madd on the loose/mud (even only dampaish stuff) but I'm retiring it till the rainy season when I think the tall treads and thin width will make it a champ. The 2.4" on the other hand isn't so bad and I think I would even order another as a matched pair and give that a go and see how that works out - doesn't feel nearly as sketchy on the hardpack as the 2.2" and rolls really well IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    Should be okay then, it's dry season here and the Choirmaster will be dead until it gets muddy again, I'll report back here asap. The mtn king looked promising on the other hand, but only time will tell.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    Its a con pure and simple on the size thing, people are buying them because there a light 2.4 tyre, but the problem is there actually a heavy 2.2 tyre which is just crazy.

    There going to feel sketchy on hard stuff the knobs are too small so they are going to fold over and squirm.

    Better than the speed kings in mud atleast, the lack of length of knobs just didn't give any sideways anti slip at all, it just breaks away like no tyre I've ever felt before, without enough rubber to handle rocks or roots in contact with the ground.

    Shame I was a big Verti fan, Gravity on the front fan for rocks, and survival 2.3 for mud, even used the diesels for a spot of DH.

  36. #36
    awesome
    Reputation: dblspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    775
    Tonight I had my first session on the new tire setup, wtb weirwolf up front and the worn out choirmaster in the back of the 16" jabberwocky (vs the previous choirmaster front/ignitor rear setup), ghetto tubeless on mustang rims as usual, what an eye opener !

    On dry hardpack, rocks and loose stuff this setup rocked. I like the choirmaster even better as a rear tire, I couldn't feel any discernible increase in rolling resistance, traction instead is fantastic, just like comfort; everything felt sooo smooth, almost fs like, (no more hitting the rim), yet with hardtail handling

    I'm really impressed by the weirwolf performance as well, one thing I noticed though is that it's very sensitive to pressure and that it gets bouncy if overinflated, even slightly, but I guess they don't call them balloon tires for nothing. I can't wait to get back on the bike now. All in all lesson learned, (at the right time and in the right place) big volume tires+low rolling resistance=big grin




  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    I've got a Weirwolf on order, volume wise is it much bigger than the Halo ??

    Will the Weirwolf handle rocks ?? or better off sticking to the halo despite being smaller for rock traction ??

    And will the weirwolf on a 21mm internal rim fit in a reba sl 29er fork ??

    So many questions, find out all friday hopefully

  38. #38
    awesome
    Reputation: dblspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    I've got a Weirwolf on order, volume wise is it much bigger than the Halo ?? Yes it's bigger

    Will the Weirwolf handle rocks ?? or better off sticking to the halo despite being smaller for rock traction ?? In the front it should handle rocks well by virtue of its volume, even though the thread is less aggressive than the Choirmaster. In the rear I'd stick to the Choirmaster and its beefier sidewalls.

    And will the weirwolf on a 21mm internal rim fit in a reba sl 29er fork ?? It should, it's got small knobs

    So many questions, find out all friday hopefully
    You should not be disappointed, just my $ 0.02 btw

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    Sweet, I'm seriously in the tyres are the most important part of the bike group

    I tried a weirwolf on the 26" wheel up front, think i had a fault over sized one, it fell onto the rim, and fell off twice in 1 ride, really off putting so ditched it

    Hoping this one is better!!

    I like WTB tyres though generally, ride mainly dirt track, like huge air volume and fast rolling, so fingers crossed

  40. #40
    awesome
    Reputation: dblspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Sweet, I'm seriously in the tyres are the most important part of the bike group

    I tried a weirwolf on the 26" wheel up front, think i had a fault over sized one, it fell onto the rim, and fell off twice in 1 ride, really off putting so ditched it

    Hoping this one is better!!

    I like WTB tyres though generally, ride mainly dirt track, like huge air volume and fast rolling, so fingers crossed
    Quote on the tires being an extremely important aspect of bike performance

    If you like huge volume and fast rolling tires have you considered the RR 2.4? It's thin but should be ok for dirt. As for the WW, I think you'll love it on the track

  41. #41
    awesome
    Reputation: dblspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    775
    Just a little thought after 3 more rides on the jabberwocky w/weirwolf and choirmaster, big fat tires on a rigid make for a pumping machine!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,331
    Got the WW fitted on the front, huge carcass air volume for sure doesn't look it though cause of the low knob heights, Ill and messed my hand up so only bounced it up a few kerbs so far, volume wise feels great, can it handle mud ?? find out soon, not hopeful though.

    Few days sadly before I can see

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •