Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm Halo Choir Master 2.35 wire bead

Done the search and read the few posts that show up. I see all these tire posts lately and the Halo tires are never mentioned. Is this because so few have tried them or something else. I've ridden the Rampage and yes very nice tire. Jones ACX TLR was an OK tire also but small. When I first went tubeless with my Flows I had a Rampage burp and caused a nice crash. Looking back I hit something at an odd angle and that could have been part of the issue. As many have no issues at all running the Rampage tubeless. All the previous tires mounted so easy compared to the tight fit of the Choir Master. I now have 4 or 5 rides on the Halo and went through some sharp rocks on the last ride. The tire came through with no issues and traction to me is comparable to the Rampage.

So what's the consensus on the Halo Choir Master?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member

I like them!

I have been running a set of Choir Masters tubeless on my Flow rims for about a year. This was my first tubeless experience, and I followed the Stan's directions carefully and have not had any issues at all. They hold air for a long period of time and I have never had a burp. Traction is pretty good and they roll pretty well. I think the casing is a hair bigger than the Rampages I was running previously.

I think maybe the wire bead keeps the weight weenies away, but I don't think they are much heavier than the Rampage. Overall, I have been very happy with them, although I am being tempted by a set of 2.4 Schwalbe RR tires!

Mark

Shovel Ready
    Same experience here. Holds air much better then the previous tires I mounted tubeless. I'm a heavy guy and these tires roll nicely. I'm not knocking the other tires! Just don't see many reports on the Choir Master and was wondering if something was up with them.

Shovel Ready
    According to Universal the Rampage weights 788 grams. Halo's site lists the Choir Master at 790 grams.

http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/choirmaster-29.html

awesome
    +1. Bombproof homemade tubeless setup on Bontrager Mustang rims, both front and rear, unlike the weirwolf which is being very finicky. Mine weighed 900+ grams on the kitchen scale. Expensive, soft rubber compound offers great traction and lasts accordingly. Loved it as front tire both rigid and squishy, moved to rear tire duty on the jabberwocky once it wore out.
    It's pretty much a semislick now, but still doing great as rear tire thanks to the volume and the super dry conditions.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    +1. Bombproof homemade tubeless setup on Bontrager Mustang rims, both front and rear, unlike the weirwolf which is being very finicky. Mine weighed 900+ grams on the kitchen scale. Expensive, soft rubber compound offers great traction and lasts accordingly. Loved it as front tire both rigid and squishy, moved to rear tire duty on the jabberwocky once it wore out.
    It's pretty much a semislick now, but still doing great as rear tire thanks to the volume and the super dry conditions.
    I'll watch the wear. But I think $ 30.00 a tire is not too bad compared to what some tires cost. I would consider it a mid level priced tire. Glad to see some have tried this tire as I was being to think I was the only one. 900 grams is still less than the Stout which got a hole between the knobs on almost every ride.

mtbr member
    Where did you guys order them?

Cars Are Evil
    How wide are they? I'm looking for a tire I can run tubeless on the rear of my Rig with Mustang rims.

Shovel Ready
    $ 30.00 a piece from Red Barn Bikes in my case. Chad's a great guy to deal with!!!!!

Shovel Ready
    If someone else does not post up. I can check them when I get home tonight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2&category=196

How well do they roll on the road? The Rampages have quite a bit of rumble and I'm looking for something that rolls well but has a somewhat aggressive tread.

Shovel Ready
    Roll fine, but the only road time I have on them is a 3/4 mile climb to the start of a trail head. They don't feel like mudders but I am going pretty slow on this climb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    How wide are they? I'm looking for a tire I can run tubeless on the rear of my Rig with Mustang rims.
    Here is a link to a post a made awhile ago with some measurements of the Choir Master and a Rampage:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...34749#poststop

I have no idea about how they roll on the road, I keep them in the dirt!

Shovel Ready
    While not trying to hold the caliper and shoot a photo. They average 2.27 on the outer section of knobs. I have not checked my current PSI.

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    I'll watch the wear. But I think $ 30.00 a tire is not too bad compared to what some tires cost. I would consider it a mid level priced tire. Glad to see some have tried this tire as I was being to think I was the only one. 900 grams is still less than the Stout which got a hole between the knobs on almost every ride.
    30 usd is a bargain! I'm in Europe and I paid 45 gbp from the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    good enough fit on my 07 Rig for dry conditions, haven't tried it in mud though

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    How well do they roll on the road?
    Not well, noisy and draggy.