mtbr member

H2O Bottle Cage Bolt help

Ok, this is the first time this has ever happened.

I took the water bottle cage off my Paragon. Bolt 1, no problem, like normal. Bolt 2, twist, twist, twist........5 min. later....twist...
    So apparently, it's broken. The washer that sits on the outside of the frame separated from the inside. Not sure if it was too tight or if some dirt was holding it on or what, but the bolt is now half in and half out. I can't even tighten it.

Anyone have this happen? Is there a quick fix other than super glue?

OMR - Old Man Riding

Bonking ... not feelin' well One possible explanation....

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyd

I took the water bottle cage off my Paragon. Bolt 1, no problem, like normal. Bolt 2, twist, twist, twist........5 min. later....twist...
    So apparently, it's broken. The washer that sits on the outside of the frame separated from the inside. Not sure if it was too tight or if some dirt was holding it on or what, but the bolt is now half in and half out. I can't even tighten it.

I believe that many of the holes for the seat and down tube bottle holders are inserts that are tacked in. Sometimes, the weld comes loose and allows the bolt or screw to just turn in the insert. Bummer! Usually contact the manufacturer to find out the type of design and what they would recommend... that's one of the good reasons to use a local frame builder... they'll usually fix it for free as a manufacturering defect.

Good luck...

OMR...
    Older than Dirt!!!

Big Wheel Homer !!

Being a aluminum frame it is more than likely a rivnut fastner, which a threaded compression insert. How it works is it is inserted into the hole in the tubing and then squeezed from both ends and that's what holds it in place. It's not welded. You can buy a rivnut puller or you can make one with a bolt, a few washers, and a couple of nuts. It works pretty good, just don't over do it. It will only take about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to get it tightned back up. Here's the link to make one.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ng_rivnuts.htm

To get the bolt out you will have to find something to hold the insert to keep it from spinning, or you might be able to hold the bolt with a pair of pliers and pull and turn, applying pressure on the insert to hold it to the inside of the tubing.

Good luck,
    Steve

mtbr member
    So apparently the 1st reply was already deleted. Thanks moderators.

Sorry for the reply.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Hot water may help. Read here or have a search of MTBR, this has come up a few times in the past.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    So I was able to get the bolt out. Unfortunately the water didn't work because the rivet actually broke. the outer ring (washer like part) separated from the inside. So, I was able to angle the bolt, holding the inside portion of the rivet in place, while I unscrewed the bolt. Had to take the seat out to dump out the inside portion of the rivet.

Guess I'll be riding with one less water bottle cage.

Thanks for the help.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    So I was able to get the bolt out. Unfortunately the water didn't work because the rivet actually broke. the outer ring (washer like part) separated from the inside. So, I was able to angle the bolt, holding the inside portion of the rivet in place, while I unscrewed the bolt. Had to take the seat out to dump out the inside portion of the rivet.

Guess I'll be riding with one less water bottle cage.

Thanks for the help.
    You can get another rivnut and install it with the nut/bolt tool. Your lbs should be able to get one for you, or you might find one from a online frame builders supply shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Warranty...

since it's GF paragon - you have a lifetime warranty on it - you can take it to your LBS and have them get it fixed for you.

while I know others have had issues with GF warranty stuff - I had a Sugar that needed warranty work (rear triangle cracked) and they were able to get it replaced in about a week to a week and a half (I know others have waited substantially longer).