Where's Toto?

New question here. Gunnar Rock Hound 29er - Anyone?

Anyone riding a Gunnar 29" Rock Hound? Pics? Pretty limited details on their website.

Thanks in advance...

Where's Toto?

Pic and specs...

This is from the Gunnar website. All I have been able to find thus far. Their 26" Rock Hound has always gotten pretty good reviews. Gunnar comes out of Waterford. Frame price for the 26" Rock is $750. We've got quite a few folks racing their Crosshairs CX bike on the local circuit - seem to like them a lot. Steel is real...

Size: 17.5 19 20.5
    Seat Mast Actual 415 465 506
    Seat Mast Theoretical 479 518.7 556
    Wheel Size 730 730 730
    Theoretical TT (mm) 600 615 632
    Head Angle 71 71 71
    Seat Angle 74 73.5 73
    Rake 43 43 43
    Trail 0 0 0
    Head Tube Length 93 93 199

Fork Steerer Tube Diameter 1 1/8"
    Tire Clearance 26" x 2.1"
    Seat Post Size 27.2mm
    Derailleur Clamp Size 28.6mm / 1 1/8"
    Rear Dropout Spacing 135mm
    Bottom Bracket Width 68mm
    Attached Images Attached Images

get down!
    for 750 you can get a custom Waltworks or Curtlo anyway you want it and any color you want it without any of Gunnars upcharges

and their seatposts slip
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member

9er rock

3 of my buddies are going throught the agony of buying a 9er rock. Gunnar took 4 months to get the frames done, apparently the first 3 off the jig. They messed up the measurements though, so there are some beautiful, useless frames getting sent back. One might have been useful as a singlespeed specific cross frame but none of the three would take 29 tires, one had clearence problems on seatstays, the other on chainstays, and the other both. Back to gunnar and readjusting the jig, it might not be until March when my buddies get their 9er rocks, meanwhile another buddie and I are enjoying our monkeys on the trails and blowing the doors off of our buddies on a regular basis (26" SS vs. 29" fixed) they don't stand a chance. We have even been able to upgrade to squishy monkeys (w/ the addition on WB forks) while they can only dream of what is to be in the future. Its fun to poke fun now but I have a funny feeling that all the wait is going to be worth it I'll put up picks when I see them.
    Large Niner One9 w/Niner carbon fork
    Large El Mariachi Ti Lefty equipped

Recovering couch patato
    That's the spudidest thing I've ever heard, sending out a supposedly production frame, which is no good. Amateuristic pocket filling? At elast try a 29" wheel in something you sell as such.
    Angles look like a copy of some 26" bike, can be wrong, have been wrong before. Flame me.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member

production?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    That's the spudidest thing I've ever heard, sending out a supposedly production frame, which is no good. Amateuristic pocket filling? At elast try a 29" wheel in something you sell as such.
    Angles look like a copy of some 26" bike, can be wrong, have been wrong before. Flame me.
    I'm not sure they are "production" yet, thats the impression I get.
    I know they say they offer it, but as I understand it these were the first 3 built. I might be wrong though. this si what I hear from my guy at the LBS.

Recovering couch patato
    Cool, make 3 frames with one jig, and not even check them. Smart.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member

Gunnar is different...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Cool, make 3 frames with one jig, and not even check them. Smart.
    Yeah and I'm not a frame builder but how do you make 3 frames on one jig and all three came out different.

Recovering couch patato
    I'd say : cancel the order. Inacceptable. Please send your 3 buddies my sympathies, I feel their pain...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Witty McWitterson
    I've seen a few. Not many. I think they're still made on a custom basis. I'd be willing to bet that they have an adjustable jig there Cloxxki. Gunnars have always been known to have minimal clearance for the rear tire, be it 26", 'cross or road. I had a 26" and it rode great, I'm sure the 29" version will be just as sweet. Never mind the haters!
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Don't diss Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I've seen a few. Not many. I think they're still made on a custom basis. I'd be willing to bet that they have an adjustable jig there Cloxxki. Gunnars have always been known to have minimal clearance for the rear tire, be it 26", 'cross or road. I had a 26" and it rode great, I'm sure the 29" version will be just as sweet. Never mind the haters!
    I agree with you ~martini~.

I had 2 Gunnars, but I sold them to go the Surly way...I liked my Gunnars, and yes, the tire clearance wasn't what I desired, but they rode great. Last year I think I race dthe heck out of my ENOized Rock Hound...then Gnome Fest came and that was its farewell ride.

My Cross Hairs I rode more like a single speed cross bike (29er topic?)/ mountain bike. It rocked a lot! But me, being the grouch I am, opted to sell it because the sloping down tube pissed me off for a cross bike.

Witty McWitterson
    I like sloping TT's. gives more room to hang out if'n you know what I mean. And they make the bike look faster. Even if it isn't.

Off to Madison to pick up the girlies!
    Just a regular guy.

Where's Toto?
    That's pretty dicked. From Gunnar's website:

"Gunnar 29"ers are Rollin' Big Time!

Thanks to your requests, input, and to a great word of mouth response, the first batches of Rockhound and Ruffian 29"ers are making their way through the factory!

Both the Ruffian and Rockhound feature suspension-corrected geometry. For those wishing for rigid forks, we suggest the 29" Karate Monkey. We expect other suspension-corrected rigid forks by late spring. Other detail specs follow the 26" version." Specs are also posted.

Reputation is bread and butter for a smaller company like this. They don't do a lot of advertising - so sales are largely word of mouth. Surprised they would release any production frames without them being spot on.

mtbr member

Ruffians not rockhounds

I talked to one of my buddies last night, he's still sulking after seeing his frame and then having to send it back and wait even longer. He also said that it was a ruffian not a rock hound and he got his with SS specific dropouts. He's dying. we were both suppose to do a 50 miler (Croom 35/50) this weekend but he doesn't want to ride with me anymore unless I ride my 26" geared bike. I told him I'll dust it off for the company on the trail.