Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Good job! Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review

I have two weeks on my trail pistol including the BME race in Steamboat and Apex/Enchanted, which is my goto test trail, so thought I'd post a review... Short answer is that it is noticeably better than the evil following in all areas and rivals my old Remedy 9.9 as the best bike I've ever owned.
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6265.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6266.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6292.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6427.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6431.jpg
    The GG Trail Pistol is a 120mm travel 29er skewed much more to the aggressive end of the spectrum. The owner of GG told me that they were aiming to make a better version of the Evil Following - and the similarities are apparent. 66 degree head angle and 13.3 BB with a 140mm fork, 16.9" chain stays, progressive suspension and a very stiff frame. It can run 27.5 plus tires as well (Boost!), and there is a flip chip on the shock linkage that can be switched to "plush" mode when running plus tires that lifts the BB to compensate for the smaller wheels, steepens the head tube angle and modifies the leverage curve to suit the big tires. I never tried this mode so I'll have to take their word for it... More info here: Guerrilla Gravity | Trail Pistol | Info, Geometry, and Specs

About Me
    I'm 5'-10" and 170 pounds and consider myself an aggressive rider. I like climbing but definitely live for the downhills. I race enduro and DH occasionally. I like bike park days and epic days in the back country equally. I'm coming of an Evil Following and a GG Megatrail so my review will be a comparison to these two bikes.

I typically ride medium frames but I opted to get the small Trail Pistol - my first small frame ever. GG definitely are pushing the limits of slack, long and low and my medium Megatrail always felt a touch long for me. The Trail Pistol has a very steep seat angle so the top tube numbers are a bit misleading - the small has a 23" top tube, which seems short, but the reach is 17.3" and the wheelbase is 46.2" For comparison the Medium Evil following has a 45" wheelbase and 16.5" reach with a 24" top tube. So the small GG has an inch longer front center than the medium following. I also have a negative ape factor in that my wing span is 2" shorter than my height - so the Small just made more sense to me. The small seat tube is 16.5", which is kind of nice because you can run a 170mm dropper if you want. My 150mm dropper only has 3" of post extending from the frame. When setup at my correct ride height I have to push the seat back in the rails about 1" from center to get my preferred butt to hand measurement when seated with a 50mm stem. If you're less than 5'11", I'd strongly recommend looking into getting a small. At least ride both before you buy. The small feels perfect for me.

My Trail Pistol is built with an X1 drive train, Race Face turbine cranks, MRP stage fork, Lev 150 dropper post, guide brakes, Super Deluxe metric shock, race face cockpit and I splurged and upgraded to the I9 trail wheels . I'm running Maxxis DHF EXO 2.3 on the front and DHR EXO 2.3 on the back. Bike weighs 30 pounds with pedals. You could probably get it down to around 28 with more carbon and lighter tires but you really don't feel the weight while riding. I have the MRP stage set at 150mm (same A-C as a pike at 140mm). I'm running 90psi in the fork with the ramp up a couple clicks more progressive then halfway, and 170psi in the rear (about 30% sag) with an additional volume spacer.

Climbing
    This has been the biggest surprise to me so far. It climbs incredibly. It climbs much better than the megatrail which was no slouch for a 6" bike. It also climbs noticeably better then the Evil Following, which shares the same geo and travel. I think it has most to do with the steep seat angle putting you in a better climbing position and the suspension is more supportive than the evil. With the 140 fork the evil would sometimes wallow on steeper climbs and the front tire would get very light. Ive never had those problems with the Trail Pistol even with the fork set to 150mm. The steep seat tube angle keeps your weight forward and it likes to stay high in the travel even with the sag set to 30%. With the shock set to climb there is no bobbing while or seated or standing. I've been climbing with it in open because there is still no bobbing while seated, and very little movement while standing but much better traction. Rear pivot is right in line with my 30t ring so I think it was optimized for the 30t but haven't tried it with other sizes yet. There is no pedal kickback or other funny things when climbing up and over ledges. Suspension stays active when climbing but doesn't bob - feels a lot like the newer Yetis when climbing.

I think it would feel like an XC bike while climbing if you threw a pair of light wheels on there with fast rolling tires, especially with the steep seat tube. The best climbing bike I've ever owned. Better than my Remedy, SB66, megatrail and following without a doubt. My favorite thing about the climbing is that I can stand and sprint and not feel like the suspension is sucking my energy away. Despite the 30# weight I've been PR'ing a bunch of climbs without trying very hard.

Descending

Given the previous bikes from GG and the fact that the Evil was the target they were aiming for I knew it would descend well. Question was if they could match the Evils bottomless feel while improving the bottom out (I always bottomed the evil). Short answer is they succeeded. It feels very similar to the following when riding at a normal pace. It's super agile, very poppy, and small bump compliance is very good. I has that same bottomless feel, but definitely more supportive through the whole travel range. The differences really come out when you start to push the speed and choose lines poorly. The super deluxe is a much better shock than the stock monarch on the evil - the damping is more consistent, there is noticeably less stiction and I can't get it to bottom with 30% sag. I just recently raced it at the Steamboat BME and my best stage was the DH course Rawhide where I finished 3rd. I didn't feel like I'd be any faster on my Megatrail. I just turned the ramp up on my MRP and added a couple more PSI to the shock and I was downhilling. Where the evil inspires confidence but then gets you into trouble when you choose silly lines the GG stays composed. It feels like it has 140mm of travel, and the rear feels surprisingly balanced with the 150mm fork. On Apex I felt faster everywhere, compared to both the Megatrail and the Evil. The only time the bike starts to feel unsettled is in high speed large chunky sections with g-outs where all of the travel is being used at every hit - think steep rock gardens with holes and big square edges. I think I'd choose the Trail Pistol over the Megatrail at Winter Park and Steamboat, but not Keystone, if that makes any sense. I'd have no problem riding it at Keystone and Whistler, but It can't match a 6" bike when the speed and amplitude picks up.

When jumping the bike is super poppy and likes to launch off everything. It has that same playful feel as the following that everyone seems to love. You need to slow the rear suspension down a couple clicks when hitting jump trails because the bike is so poppy you'll overshoot everything.

When braking there is no brake jack and the rear stays composed even through braking bumps. The fork feels less composed in the braking bumps than the rear, and not as good as the pike or Fox. Braking bumps are the only weakness of the MRP and the only thing it can't do better then the competition.

It corners as well as the the megatrail and following with the low BB and super stiff rear end. It is a touch quicker than the megatrail on tight switch backs, though not as quick as the following.

Components
    The MRP stage is amazing. I love the ramp control - I use it all the time. You can dial up the bottom out to suit the speed and flavor of the trail without needed to add pressure. Super low stiction out of box. I love that you can change the travel between 120 and 150 with internal spacers in about 20 minutes. The tradeoff is the fork is heavy. Damper is as good as the pike, except when in braking bumps.

Super Deluxe shock is also very impressive. Low stiction means small bump sensitivity is really good. It is very supportive and ramps us nicely. Damper is excellent and didn't fade in Steamboat on 15 minute descents. High speed compression tune might be a bit too heavy for the 170psi pressure I run.

The Lev 150 has been flawless. Setup wasn't bad and the southpaw is a must have upgrade.

The X1 drivetrain is as expected. I don't like that SRAM has driven a pin into the clutch body now so you can't adjust the clutch tension anymore. Stock clutch tension is too light IMO.

Race face cranks and cockpit are great - no complaints.

I still love the guide brakes - no fade and great feel. Bleeding can be touchy to get the feel you want.

The I9 wheels are amazing and worth the money. Stiffer and lighter than everything else I've ridden. Best upgrade you can make on a 29er.

Overview
    The good:
    Build kit and price point are great
    Super fun to climb, ride, descend, jump - riding slow or fast
    Fit and finish is pro
    Designed and built in Denver
    Best climbing bike I've ever owned - love the steep seat tube.
    Descends like it has 20mm more travel, and doesn't bottom when you choose silly lines
    Suspension kinematics are on point - would love to try with a coil shock
    Better than my Evil Following
    Faster then my Megatrail for 95% of my riding
    Can run 27.5 plus, if thats your thing
    On track to be the best bike I've ever owned

Could be better:
    The sizing might catch a few people out who only look at the top tube numbers and not the reach.
    The stock FSA chain was garbage. Made a bunch of noise even when properly lubed and then just fell off my bike in the middle of my race run - the quick links felt loose at installation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6265.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6266.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6292.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6426.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6427.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6428.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6429.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6431.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6265.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6266.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6292.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6426.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6427.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6428.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6429.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_6431.jpg  

Last edited by rudeboybl; 08-27-2016 at 09:48 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Excellent review. Thanks.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Great and thorough review. A couple of my thoughts after 1 demo using the B+ wheel version. Would echo many of the sentiments above. I've been keen to try some B+ wheeled bikes and this new rig at top of that list. While I only got 1 ride, there is a lot of goodness going on with the TP! Interesting that Im barely a shade over 5' 6" and found the fit to be great as well.
    - The steeper seat angle indeed made it easy to sit and spin up stuff and do so comfortably - regardless of pitch, technical etc...
    - Comparing geo/numbers i thought it might feel like a big long bike - hardly - only feels long when you want it to. Otherwise nimble to carve the tightest switchbacks.
    - Bike is balanced. Climbs well, descends well.
    - I found the B+ to allow you to look at any rock/tech feature and instead of picking a line, go straight it - up and over.
    - I'm also sure i didn't get the sweet spot on tire pressure - and would be keen to really dial it in against suspension. Yet - for the quick simple setup - the bike worked very very well.
    - I rode it w Bomboloni 3.0. I "believe" the new Minion 2.8 could be the winner on this bike - don't know - just thinking out loud
    - Roots completely disappear and especially dealing over a snakey mess of em - the tire ensures no flinch whatsoever and keeps the bike tracking on course.
    - I really wanted to go back to back and try the 29er wheels as well - but work and weather didn't allow it. I will grab another ride. I like the idea of a multi-wheel capable bike - or 'horse for the course'

Kudos again to GG for creating a heck of a handmade in the USA bike!

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    Man, that is a sick looking bike......I am reconsidering my color choice.....The None more black looks really good.....Thanks for the write up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Crap - just realized the photos are upside down. They're correct on my computer - anyone know how to make them right side up?

mtbr member
    Nice little write up!

Seeing as you raced the TP, do you no longer have the MT?

Did you race Keystone?

I ask because I feel like I would still need a 6" bike for the races, in addition to a TP for local front range type rides.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

You down with entropy?
    this makes me almost second guess my megatrail direction.
    but pretty sure it will be great too.

maybe try to justify another bike next year....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Interesting points about how it compare to the Following. This thing came out right after I picked up my Following, otherwise I would have seriously considered it. One thing I have noticed (and where I disagree with the Evil guys) regarding the Following is that it absolutely requires bottom out spacers in the rear shock. At 170 lbs, I needed 2 spacers at 28% sag to keep it from bottoming regularly. Guys who ride burly terrain absolutely need the spacers in my opinion.

In my opinion, the aspect of shock selection other than the Monarch that comes with the Following is a major selling point. I can't help but feel that the Monarch on the Following shows its limitations on repeated big hits, and I can only imagine that the larger oil volume and new trickery in the Super Deluxe makes a major difference.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by esilvassy View Post
    this makes me almost second guess my megatrail direction.
    But pretty sure it will be great too.

Maybe try to justify another bike next year....
    n+1 ......
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK View Post
    Nice little write up!

Seeing as you raced the TP, do you no longer have the MT?

Did you race Keystone?

I ask because I feel like I would still need a 6" bike for the races, in addition to a TP for local front range type rides.
    Sold the MT to my neighbor ripper dude - so hopefully I can take her out for s spin now and again

No keystone this year - was out of town. I'd have no reservations racing keystone on the trail pistol - but I think a 6" bike is the best tool for the job at keystone. The TP would be faster a WP no doubt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    Interesting points about how it compare to the Following. This thing came out right after I picked up my Following, otherwise I would have seriously considered it. One thing I have noticed (and where I disagree with the Evil guys) regarding the Following is that it absolutely requires bottom out spacers in the rear shock. At 170 lbs, I needed 2 spacers at 28% sag to keep it from bottoming regularly. Guys who ride burly terrain absolutely need the spacers in my opinion.

In my opinion, the aspect of shock selection other than the Monarch that comes with the Following is a major selling point. I can't help but feel that the Monarch on the Following shows its limitations on repeated big hits, and I can only imagine that the larger oil volume and new trickery in the Super Deluxe makes a major difference.
    Yeah - that is the limitation that I found with the following as well. The shock was a bit overmatched when the speed and amplitude picked up. I tried it with two volume spacers and I thought it took away some of the playfulness that made the bike so great. It ramped earlier and didn't have the same bottomless feel or pop. I went back to no volume spacers and just added a few psi and lived with a bottom out every once in a while. There is no way I could have raced it that way though - would have needed the volume reducers...

The super deluxe is pretty amazing and I think it allows the bike to be pushed farther than the following. It's very supple off the top but feels way more supportive. Almost like it has more low and high speed damping. I actually thought it was over damped at first, but I realized that it's the spring curve doing it's magic. Still haven't had a hard bottom out and I run 30% sag. I also like that you can swap volume chips without removing the shock from the bike - just unscrew the can and slot the chip onto the damping shaft. I'm gonna pull my additional chip out and go back to the stock configuration and see if I can bottom it. Also the shaft is 55mm even though it's a 50mm stroke shock. Theoretically you can remove the travel reducer in the shock body and turn it into a 55mm stroke shock and get 133mm of travel. The GG guys said a 29X2.3 will not rub with the 55mm stroke - so Im def trying that as well. Not sure if the damping id different between the 50mm and 55mm so I need to talk to RS first...

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    n+1 ......
    1 = Trail Pistol.

What size demos do you guys have? (Assuming GG is following here)
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by rudeboybl View Post
    Yeah - that is the limitation that I found with the following as well. The shock was a bit overmatched when the speed and amplitude picked up. I tried it with two volume spacers and I thought it took away some of the playfulness that made the bike so great. It ramped earlier and didn't have the same bottomless feel or pop. I went back to no volume spacers and just added a few psi and lived with a bottom out every once in a while. There is no way I could have raced it that way though - would have needed the volume reducers...

The super deluxe is pretty amazing and I think it allows the bike to be pushed farther than the following. It's very supple off the top but feels way more supportive. Almost like it has more low and high speed damping. I actually thought it was over damped at first, but I realized that it's the spring curve doing it's magic. Still haven't had a hard bottom out and I run 30% sag. I also like that you can swap volume chips without removing the shock from the bike - just unscrew the can and slot the chip onto the damping shaft. I'm gonna pull my additional chip out and go back to the stock configuration and see if I can bottom it. Also the shaft is 55mm even though it's a 50mm stroke shock. Theoretically you can remove the travel reducer in the shock body and turn it into a 55mm stroke shock and get 133mm of travel. The GG guys said a 29X2.3 will not rub with the 55mm stroke - so Im def trying that as well. Not sure if the damping id different between the 50mm and 55mm so I need to talk to RS first...
    That is really interesting about the little bit of extra travel. Sounds like a fun experiment. Hopefully I can try it myself soon

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

Awesome!

Looking to replace my YT Capra with a super fun short travel 29er and this is at the top of my crazy long list. Thanks for the review and solidifying that this needs to be my next bike! Considering 27.5+ instead of the 29er too.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Blue View Post
    Looking to replace my YT Capra with a super fun short travel 29er and this is at the top of my crazy long list. Thanks for the review and solidifying that this needs to be my next bike! Considering 27.5+ instead of the 29er too.
    How many wheelsets do you need for this bike? Simple, N+1...

Affordable Custom Wheels

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    The demo fleet has small, medium, and large, and they're all at the Wydaho festival this weekend. So, if you're near Grand Targhee Resort and want to ride one, go find Thomas with the GG demo fleet and take one out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    The demo fleet has small, medium, and large, and they're all at the Wydaho festival this weekend. So, if you're near Grand Targhee Resort and want to ride one, go find Thomas with the GG demo fleet and take one out.
    I"ll be there, looking forward to it.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    1 = Trail Pistol.

What size demos do you guys have? (Assuming GG is following here)
    We have small through large demos in the fleet now, with 29 and 27+ wheelsets.

JB
    When does the XL drop?
    Last edited by Nevada 29er; 09-10-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    When does the XXL drop?
    Not sure, but my Medium shipped today!

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not sure, but my Medium shipped today!

Dusty, do you think put an avy' shock on it ?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by freddok View Post
    Dusty, do you think put an avy' shock on it ?
    Craig is waiting to make a decision on that one. He wants to make sure the leverage curve will pay nice with a coil. I just got the Super Deluxe for now.

Affordable Custom Wheels

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    When does the XXL drop?
    How tall are you?

JB
    How tall are you?
    6.5' I meant XL, sizing is like an XXL tho.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Craig is waiting to make a decision on that one. He wants to make sure the leverage curve will pay nice with a coil. I just got the Super Deluxe for now.

To be exact, when I say avy' shock, I'm thinking coil... The TP is a really nice frame but the metric shock sizing is reductant

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    A coil spring should work great on a Trail Pistol. As soon as one is available, we'll be trying it, but it was designed to be compatible. I know Push is working on an ElevenSix for 210x50, but I think they are overloaded at the moment, and there is no availability date.

freddok: I'm not sure what you mean by reductant.

XL's are coming down the pipeline in a month or so. There's already some in the queue, and we need to get them rolling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    A coil spring should work great on a Trail Pistol. As soon as one is available, we'll be trying it, but it was designed to be compatible. I know Push is working on an ElevenSix for 210x50, but I think they are overloaded at the moment, and there is no availability date.

freddok: I'm not sure what you mean by reductant.

XL's are coming down the pipeline in a month or so. There's already some in the queue, and we need to get them rolling.
    Sorry, I'm french and my english is maybe approximative... :-) I wanted to say that there not much choice of coil shock for the TP. Push 11-6 is nice but cost a lot... Why metric sizing choice for the TP frame instead of imperial for the MT ?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by freddok View Post
    Sorry, I'm french and my english is maybe approximative... :-) I wanted to say that there not much choice of coil shock for the TP. Push 11-6 is nice but cost a lot... Why metric sizing choice for the TP frame instead of imperial for the MT ?
    Ah. The coil sprung shock choices are limited....right now. There are many options coming, and we made the call to use metric sizing due to the fact more people buying a new bike wanted the new shock choices, shock companies are already beginning to phase out the older sizes at the OEM level, and we don't want to redesign the frame next year.
    If you want a coil shock on a Trail Pistol, my recommendation is to get a Deluxe R with it in the near term, which isn't all that expensive, and wait until there are a few options of coil shocks available. If that's your only hangup, we can work with you on the price of a coil shock in the future when available.

May 2010
    I'm 6'4"/215#.... I currently have a large Megatrail. I originally ordered an XL frame TP, but switched to a Large. It is only slightly longer reach/stack and wheelbase than my current ride, and I love it so that's why I switched my order. I've been see sawing back and forth over my decision, but figure why mess with it if It works well for me. I think if I was taller I'd go XL.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    I'm 6'4"/215#.... I currently have a large Megatrail. I originally ordered an XL frame TP, but switched to a Large. It is only slightly longer reach/stack and wheelbase than my current ride, and I love it so that's why I switched my order. I've been see sawing back and forth over my decision, but figure why mess with it if It works well for me. I think if I was taller I'd go XL.
    Ah, I saw your name tagged on a large frame, and it confuddled me. Makes sense now.

May 2010
    Yep. Very close to the MT, which I'm comfortable on. Finally figured out the build/color. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    @ dusty, really looking forward to your thoughts when it comes to comparing to the Riot. Especially if Craig decides to tune something for the TP.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    @ dusty, really looking forward to your thoughts when it comes to comparing to the Riot. Especially if Craig decides to tune something for the TP.
    You and me both! T minus 2 days. ..

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

Do you have a similar build planned?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Do you have a similar build planned?
    Yup. Robbing my Avy cart out of my non boost 36 to put in the new 140mm 36. Blue Hope kit, Super Deluxe shock etc. Should be a fun build.

Affordable Custom Wheels

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Send Craig my way if he wants to build coil shocks for the Trail Pistol. I can work with him to get it dialed in.

mtbr member

Can't wait. You should come out and check out my new trail once it's built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Chris Bling
    Send Craig my way if he wants to build coil shocks for the Trail Pistol. I can work with him to get it dialed in.
    Will do.

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Keen to get your impressions of the TP Dusty! Have you got er built up?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    Keen to get your impressions of the TP Dusty! Have you got er built up?
    I have and only have 1 ride in so far. It's very similar to my Riot in some ways, and not very similar in others. I want to get a little more time in so I can have a better idea of how it behaves.

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Interested to hear your thoughts on the riot vs the trail pistol. I currently own a riot but used to live 15 min from the GG shop. They built my wheels for the riot (also cut my steerer tube down, installed the headset, and cut my brake lines). Great group of guys there! I would love to support them and purchase a trail pistol, but I am trying my absolute hardest to keep any bike for more than a year. The riot I find awesome, but I have been going through more shock eyelet bushings than I have on any other FS bike. Also, I feel like the super short chainstays while fun, make the chainline real bad in the easiest gear (42t rear). I have broken/bent quite a few links on several chains.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Interested to hear your thoughts on the riot vs the trail pistol. I currently own a riot but used to live 15 min from the GG shop. They built my wheels for the riot (also cut my steerer tube down, installed the headset, and cut my brake lines). Great group of guys there! I would love to support them and purchase a trail pistol, but I am trying my absolute hardest to keep any bike for more than a year. The riot I find awesome, but I have been going through more shock eyelet bushings than I have on any other FS bike. Also, I feel like the super short chainstays while fun, make the chainline real bad in the easiest gear (42t rear). I have broken/bent quite a few links on several chains.
    Here is a quick pic.

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-pce1.jpg

Once I can beat on this bike for more miles, I'll put together a more complete review. Still, I wanted to share my initial thoughts on the matter (that, and I wanted to get this picture up). Sharing what I posted on another forum this morning.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this bike pedals! I didn't feel any wallow while mashing the pedals, but it wasn't so supportive that it let trail chatter through. I wasn't disappointed at all by running an air shock out of the starting gate. I didn't get more than a couple of dozen miles on the bike this weekend (was helping lead a mtb skills clinic, in the rain), but the sections of trail I rode were all PRs. I expected it to be very stable due to the geometry and wheelbase, but at the same time, it wasn't slow at all to turn through switchbacks and tighter sections. I'm 235 lbs. with gear right now, and never came close to bottoming out the Super Deluxe shock- but it will be for sale once Push finishes their work on the 11.6 for this application (I have one on my other bike that will get converted).

I did expect my actual cockpit set-up to be a tad longer than what it turned out to be on the Trail Pistol, but a few factors could lead into that: I'm 6'3" with monkey arms, my other bike has a much slacker seat tube, and 800mm bars are new to me. My last bike has more than an inch longer effective top tube on the TP, but I'm not looking for a new front triangle just yet. I'm going to get comfortable with it, and let my riding position acclimate, but I kept trying to slide back on the seat while I was hammering smoother sections of the trail. I think the frame is probably right for me, but I might mess around with a longer stem after a month or two (if winter holds off long enough).

I'm riding 29" wheels currently, and nothing stood in my way. I do have a Plus wheelset built up to test out as well, just to see how both sides of the coin look, but I want to beat on the wagon wheels while the trail is pristine.

I'll get out on more technical trails this weekend, and we will see how well this Pistol shoots!

mdc
    mtbr member
    Maybe a dopey question but- do you have to run a side load water bottle cage? Does a large (16oz+) bottle fit? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There's not much clearance once the bottle is in there- but it will hold a 20oz. Purist bottle that the LBS gave me. I don't think a conventional cage works with the space.If you purchase the N.U.T.S. kit, it comes with a GG water bottle.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Gotcha.

How do you guys think the TP would handle lift service duty? Obviously its not a DH bike, but for enduro racing etc. Does the 120 rear get overwhelmed easily or is it ok?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    Gotcha.

How do you guys think the TP would handle lift service duty? Obviously its not a DH bike, but for enduro racing etc. Does the 120 rear get overwhelmed easily or is it ok?
    Compared to my Riot, it won't do as well on the lift trails. You will be able to do it, but it will beat you up pretty good

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    [...] the shaft is 55mm even though it's a 50mm stroke shock. Theoretically you can remove the travel reducer in the shock body and turn it into a 55mm stroke shock and get 133mm of travel.
    Does the travel reducer exist simply to allow more shock specs from a given number of bodies (i.e. reduce inventory) or to ensure adequate IFP pressure chamber volume? Insufficient IFP chamber volume (especially on the old 200 mm x 57 mm) was one of the reasons to create the new shock length standards, so it would be a shame to recreate the prior performance and reliability issues with a new shock.

If there is adequate IFP chamber volume with the reducer removed, this could be a fun modification. Perhaps it would be simple enough to create a slightly thinner reducer that could preserve 29" x 2.5" clearance while gaining a tiny bit of travel?
    Last edited by R-M-R; 09-22-2016 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How is everyone finding the wheelbase?
    Looking at their specs. online it is 40-50mm longer than other bikes in the 27.5 category.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache1 View Post
    How is everyone finding the wheelbase?
    Looking at their specs. online it is 40-50mm longer than other bikes in the 27.5 category.
    Too bad the Trail Pistol is a 29er?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Also 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache1 View Post
    Also 27.5+
    Are you comparing the wheelbases of 27.5 and 27.5+ bikes ? These last ones are the same OD (almost) as 29ers
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

I like bikes, I really do.

Chris Bling
    The WB on the TP is going to be the same with 26, 27.5, 27.5 plus and 29. It doesn't change with wheel size.

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The WB on the TP is going to be the same with 26, 27.5, 27.5 plus and 29. It doesn't change with wheel size.

Yes, but comparing the WB on the TP with the WB on 27.5 bikes doesn't make sense. Maybe I understood it wrong, but I think it's what Apache1 was doing ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The wheelbase on the stump jumper 6 fattie is 1172, the trek fuel ex plus size bike is 1173. The medium trail pistol is 1207. I think that is he comparison he was making?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Any chance you guys are coming to the IMBA summit in Bentonville, Arkansas with some demo's. Some awesome trails to be explored. And I'd love be to try one of these out!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    The wheelbase on the stump jumper 6 fattie is 1172, the trek fuel ex plus size bike is 1173. The medium trail pistol is 1207. I think that is he comparison he was making?

OK, that sounds about right then !

mdc
    mtbr member
    A medium TP is basically a large in any other brand. Since I've been dorking out on new bikes, the wheelbases of a few size large bikes vs. the TP are as follows:

TP size med. w/b- 47.5
    Fuel EX L w/b- 46.77
    Pivot Switchbalde L w/b- 46.85
    Yeti 5.5c L w/b - 47

In reality the WB is not THAT much longer in most cases, maybe .5 to 1 inch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have a large TP, and I have to say I don't notice the long wheel base on tight, technical switchbacks. For me, at least, having good balance and traction is more important to making a turn up or down than the .5" to 1" of potential wheelbase difference. On the uphill switchbacks, the steep seat tube angle helps keep you forward to have a strong, forward seated position. On the downhill switchbacks, it's very poised with good weight balance between the front and back wheels so you're not washing out your front wheel.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    Any chance you guys are coming to the IMBA summit in Bentonville, Arkansas with some demo's. Some awesome trails to be explored. And I'd love be to try one of these out!!

We won't be there with the demo fleet, but Bike magazine has a Trail Pistol there right now for the Bible of Bike Tests.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Oh very cool. I saw they were in town. Is there anyway to connect with them for a test ride?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I'm not sure on that one, but I would try social media first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Late to the party, but I did want to share my (rambling) thoughts on my Trail Pistol:

Let me make one thing clear- I hate this bike. I hate how an aluminum, slack-ass trail carver puts my old carbon 29er to shame. I hate how this steed looks like it would take a country mile to turn, but pushes through switchbacks more ferociously than I am comfortable with at times. I hate a rear suspension design that lets me pedal faster up climbs than I ever have before. I hate how my face hurts after two hours of smiling like a one year old after their first taste of cake. I hate how line choice is pretty much out the window; it’s all just point and shoot from here on out. I hate this bike- and you can’t go buy one, because I don’t want my ass kicked by everyone else shredding a Made-in-the-USA, 29er death machine- this ‘Trail pistol’.

Set-up
    I wanted to order a black bike. I wanted matte black-black on black. Darker than black- Yeah, that’s what the cool kids run. I wanted to email Guerrilla Gravity and ask if their printer could muster up decals that wouldn’t let light escape they’re so dark. Except, when it came time to order, I clicked on the drop-down menu and chose “Pepto Shred-All”, with white decals. Maybe I was feeling extra cheery that day. Maybe I saw it as a sly tongue-in-cheek to all of the comments on a certain website that didn’t appreciate the owner’s dry humor of BS naming-logic of established technologies… Maybe all I wanted was a wolf in sheep’s clothing- and that’s exactly what I got. Being brought on as a BAMF (Brand Ambassador and Motivated Free-seller), I was told to make my bike a color that stands out. Oh boy, does she stand out.
    I’m sure if you’re reading the review of some amateur, you’ve already started your homework on the specs that make up this bike. 29/27 Plus trail bike with 120mm of rear travel, sporting a 148mm Boost rear-end, with the possibility of running a 120-140mm fork on the front. A modern take on geometry, with a short chainstay, a long front-center, and a head angle slack enough to be found on a chopper in an issue of Hot Bike Mag. Guerrilla Gravity has engineered in an adjustable ‘flip chip’ on the Trail Pistol to be able to tweak the geometry and BB height of the bike to cater to both wheel sizes. Some of you might smell a compromise-which we’ll talk about further down. I sighted in on a Large frame, as my 6’3” body seemed like it would be at home on the numbers presented (For you to fall further down the rabbit hole, follow this link for all the specific frame specs- [url=http://ridegg.com/trailpistol]Guerrilla Gravity | Trail Pistol | Info, Geometry, and Specs[/URL]). To help you understand further where I’m coming from, a list of my build:

Large Frame
    Fox Factory Series 34 fork, 130mm, four spacers in air chamber
    RockShox Super Deluxe RC3 rear shock
    I9 Enduro 305 29” wheelset (alternate-WTB Scraper i45 rims, SRAM X7 hubs)
    Sram X.01 11spd drivetrain
    SRAM Guide RSC brakes, 180mm rotors front & rear
    Race Face Next SL crankset, Wolftooth C.A.M.O. Elliptical system
    Fox Transfer 150mm dropper post, 30.9mm
    WTB Volt Pro saddle, wrapped in ‘Murica color scheme
    Race Face Six C 800mm carbon bar, 35mm dia.
    Easton Haven 60mm stem, 35mm bar clamp
    ODI Vans Grips-Gum, because **** yeah!
    Bontrager SE4 29x2.4” (front), SE5 29x2.3” (Rear)
    Soulrun Tool Roll- stashed under the saddle
    NUTS System to get as much out of my hydration pack as I could

My initial thought once I sat down was that my cockpit is too short. For reference, my current, all-mountain bike has a longer butt-to-seat measurement than my Trail Pistol. Not being familiar with this caliber of wide bars on a short stem- and knowing my body proportions are little off, I decided to keep an open mind and give it a go. I’m glad I did, because as I put in some saddle time, I realized I was much more comfortable than the numbers led me to believe. I wasn’t smacking my knees with bars, I wasn’t cramping my back or shoulders, and I certainly wasn’t over analyzing my body position when I was riding. One thing that I was doing, was shredding.

Riding The Weapon
    This bike wants to be pushed, so much so that while it never felt harsh backing off the gas for a while, you could just feel that the Trail Pistol wanted to move faster. And when you pushed yourself to go faster, The Trail Pistol delivered unholy amounts of traction coupled with even more unholy amounts of speed. I’m not one to try and pick the preferred line as it is, but the bike allowed me throw any thought of lines out the window and say “We’re gonna smash off this rock- and that rock- and that one! We will ride all of the rocks!
    To say that the Trail Pistol was comfortable with descents would be a disservice, I never once felt my any hesitation or anxiety when I plowed my way downhill. And this bike has the numbers that would lead you to believe that you’re investing in a frame without enough travel, that is going to be stable on high speed tracks, and steer like a pig everywhere else. You would be wrong. I easily obliterated switchbacks and tight sections of singletrack- if I trusted the front wheel and kept my weight forward, I was rewarded by gobs of traction. I do credit the Bontrager SE4, and i9 Enduro 305 wheels a bit for this, but a lot has to do with how this bike is set-up. On more than one occasion, I noticed that I had used all of the travel on the rear shock (I am a heavy rider, so I’ll be adding a volume spacer inside the air can), but never experienced any harsh bottom-outs. When riding the downs, I felt like I had more than 120mm of travel-and while I didn’t ride in actual mountains during my time, I wasn’t left wanting more in the squish department.
    The biggest surprise that the Trail Pistol delivered to me? It can climb like a beast as well. With the lever on the shock in full open, the Trail Pistol was able to confidently scramble its way up any technical incline. We have a number of loose rock climbs combined with rock shelves that absolutely require you to keep up your momentum, and the rear wheel never hung up on me once while pedalling in the saddle. Flip the lever on the shock into trail, and your effort is rewarded with even quicker climbing. If I could help it, I did leave the shock in the full open setting, and climbed away, with the lever only being used when I was already starting to feel fatigued. With the ridiculously steep seat angle, I was able to just lay down the hammer, and pedal over any obstacle- the Trail Pistol delivered great mid-stroke support, and never beat me up- even after hours of riding.

The other main notable here is the 27+ set-up. My alternate wheelset employs mega-wide WTB Scraper rims, with a 3” WTB Bridger in front, followed by a 3” Trail Boss in the rear. Setting the flip chip from ‘Crush’ to ‘Plush’ and swapping the wheels yielded a completely different feeling bike; one that tracked well, but missed matching the feeling that you were moving at “warp chicken” like the 29er, by just a smidge. I think weight is a big factor here, as the Plus wheels are noticeably more portly. Do I think that the frame makes a compromise by offering the ability to run both wheel sizes? I absolutely do not. The Trail Pistol is very well executed on both fronts- and if I have to make a choice for one or the other, it’s the 29” wheels. Having typed that, most of the reasoning behind this is just more time on that wheel size, I’m still getting comfy with Plus.

Random Details
    I briefly make mention of the NUTS (Necessities Under the Saddle) in my spec list above, but the welded-on bracket does couple nicely with the optional gear kit that Guerrilla Gravity has available as an add-on. This system allows you to stow your tube, CO2 cartridges, inflator and lever on the bike, thus lightening your load a bit. I paired this with a custom-made tool roll from Soulrun to hold even more gear, and hopefully eliminate the hydration pack for some rides. One other bonus with the frame/NUTS? The optional kit includes a bottle cage and bottle- with enough room on the frame to fit inside the front triangle!
    At the time I sat down to write this, Push Industries has not made their Eleven.Six shock available for this bike- but they reassure me that it will be developed in the near future. I also have the great luck of being able to ride carbon wheels from NOX Composites, but I haven’t received them yet to slap on. Once each upgrade has been beaten, I’ll make an update to my review.

My Verdict
    All in all, the Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol is a well thought-out design. The construction and welding on this frame display some serious skills as well (Bonus points that I hear the fabricator also works in NASCAR). Sure, the technology isn’t revolutionary- or even a completely ground-breaking design, but it’s one that doesn’t have to be. Execution is the key here, and I feel the team in Denver did their homework-and made a truly great bike. I tend to be the type of rider that doesn’t linger on one bike too long, but with the Trail Pistol, I may have already chosen my weapon. Do I still hate this bike? Nah… How can you hate something this fun?

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_3482.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_3487.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_3494.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_3495.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_3496.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_3497.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_3508.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_3510.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-img_3525.jpg

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    That's awesome.

mtbr member
    Name:  Jack-burton-he-just-wants-his-truck-back.png
Views: 2346
Size:  109.5 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Subscribed!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Say would one you good fellows post a shot of what rear tire clearance you have with your tire size please.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'll take pictures tonight, but the clearance of the frame has been impressive. I am currently running the NOX Kitsuma rims (36mm internal width), and a Bontrager SE4, 2.4 in tire. I have tons of clearance with the dish offset 3mm. I did have some minor rubbing when I ran a MAXXIS 2.5" DHF Wide Trail tire, and the 3mm offset was not enough. The rubbing was on the driveside only, and there was still a lot of space on the non-drive chainstay. If you've seen the Wide Trail tires, they tend to be pretty massive, and have tall lugs. The casing is about the same as the SE4, but the lugs are much more pronounced. So far, the Kitsuma and Bontrager 2.4" tire has been quite the ticket for me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Fantastic! Pics would be awesome. Just the info i am looking for. I am hoping to be able to run a 2.5 or 2.6 tire, the more float the better but trying to determine how wide of a rim i can go. Also wanting to run the 45North Nicotime studied tire for winter shoulder season riding. A lot of folks run that on a 50 mm rim but that may be too much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestvt View Post
    Fantastic! Pics would be awesome. Just the info i am looking for. I am hoping to be able to run a 2.5 or 2.6 tire, the more float the better but trying to determine how wide of a rim i can go. Also wanting to run the 45North Nicotime studied tire for winter shoulder season riding. A lot of folks run that on a 50 mm rim but that may be too much.
    I would be surprised if you went with anything wider than the Kitsuma 29, and were happy, but who knows. When I run 27.5+, I can fit a WTB Scraper i45 rim and 3.0" WTB Trail Boss combo with room to spare. Below is my Bontrager SE4 2.4" on the Kitsuma. You can see that the offset on the rear triangle and wheel dish still leave quite a bit of room on the non-drive side, but I don't think I would want (or can) offset the dish any more than it already is. This current set-up, even when it's muddy, has yielded zero negative results, or excessive build-up. As always, your mileage may vary...Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-image2.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-image3.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review-image4.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great pics thank you. Dang drive side clearance is very tight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I ran the same set of tires on an i9 Enduro 305 wheelset, and did have more space. The casing on this tire is pretty large to begin with, so opening them up on a 36mm internal width rim makes them huge. There's not a lot of tire squirm experienced when you bomb into high speed turns.

Keep on Rockin...
    Regarding the steep STA...

Its pretty steep. Does this make you feel too "on top of the bike"?

While a STA is nice for climbing, and a non-issue when dropped for descending, how is it for pedaling on rolling single track? As much as marketing would have you believe trails are not all up and down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by benitosbro View Post
    [...] You can see that the offset on the rear triangle and wheel dish still leave quite a bit of room on the non-drive side, but I don't think I would want (or can) offset the dish any more than it already is. [...]
    Are you absolutely certain you dished that wheel correctly ... away from the drive side?

mdc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Regarding the steep STA...

Its pretty steep. Does this make you feel too "on top of the bike"?

While a STA is nice for climbing, and a non-issue when dropped for descending, how is it for pedaling on rolling single track? As much as marketing would have you believe trails are not all up and down.
    The riding position is more "upright" even though the reach #'s are longer than most size large frames. With slacker seat angles I always felt like my ass was to far back over the rear axle, the TP has more of a centered feel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Miker,

The seat angle makes the bike. It is a stand out feature, a definite pro.

As you say climbing is good, but when you ride it, I mean!, climbing is good, really good.
    I mentioned in an earlier post, the STA makes for a perfect woodsy or rolling single track ride.

GG have answered and executed the trail bike brief perfectly.

It is the sum of the parts, it has a slack HA, if this had an old school seat angle (73-74°) then it would be an average performer on the rolling flats. However, it is fun to hammer the TP through the flat stuff. The STA is engaging rather than detracting. The grip on the front, the confidence and unexpected high level of nimbleness is an eye opener. How does a slack bike do this so well, answer: great STA.

And then when the track turns down, the seat goes down and you have all the ingredients you want inclusive of a I mean business HA.

Be warned, if you get one of these, you won't be going back to a slack STA (on a trail bike). There's no going back...

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Hi Miker,

The seat angle makes the bike. It is a stand out feature, a definite pro.

As you say climbing is good, but when you ride it, I mean!, climbing is good, really good.
    I mentioned in an earlier post, the STA makes for a perfect woodsy or rolling single track ride.

GG have answered and executed the trail bike brief perfectly.

It is the sum of the parts, it has a slack HA, if this had an old school seat angle (73-74°) then it would be an average performer on the rolling flats. However, it is fun to hammer the TP through the flat stuff. The STA is engaging rather than detracting. The grip on the front, the confidence and unexpected high level of nimbleness is an eye opener. How does a slack bike do this so well, answer: great STA.

And then when the track turns down, the seat goes down and you have all the ingredients you want inclusive of a I mean business HA.

Be warned, if you get one of these, you won't be going back to a slack STA (on a trail bike). There's no going back...
    Exactly. The steep ACTUAL seat tube angle was done specifically for what WilliamK mentioned. With slack actual seat tube angles, the saddle has excessive fore/aft movement when you move the seat up/down. That often puts you too far back when climbing, and/or shortens the cockpit too much when you slightly lower the saddle for rolling terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I double-checked their work in my Park Truing Stand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I double-checked their work in my Park Truing Stand.
    With a 6 mm spacer on the rotor side?

I don't mean to belabor the issue, it's just such a huge asymmetry in the clearance. And I was planning to run a 2.6" tire on a ~35 mm rim, so I want to certain!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You're kidding, right? You're bordering on insulting. I don't have any degrees in engineering, but I read and followed the very simple instructions more than once (I've set up three wheel sets for this bike). The NOX wheel set was originally offset by the company, I merely confirmed the offset after noticing a clearance issue running these rims with Maxxis WT tires. The combination of a 36mm internal rim and enormously large tires, possibly make for what I can only guess to be the extreme boundary of the design parameters for the chainstays. Would greater offset move the wheel and tire over? Sure, but then I'm into the adjustment limits of the spokes built into this wheelset, and not entirely confident in pushing that. I'll follow what GG has designed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You're kidding, right? You're bordering on insulting. I don't have any degrees in engineering, but I read and followed the very simple instructions more than once (I've set up three wheel sets for this bike). The NOX wheel set was originally offset by the company, I merely confirmed the offset after noticing a clearance issue running these rims with Maxxis WT tires. The combination of a 36mm internal rim and enormously large tires, possibly make for what I can only guess to be the extreme boundary of the design parameters for the chainstays. Would greater offset move the wheel and tire over? Sure, but then I'm into the adjustment limits of the spokes built into this wheelset, and not entirely confident in pushing that. I'll follow what GG has designed.
    Whoa, easy now! I realize I'm belaboring the question, but I want to be certain before building up a Pistol of my own with 2.6" tires. Guerrilla Gravity states a true 2.6" should fit, yet you're maxed out at 2.4" (albeit a very wide 2.4") with huge space on the opposite side; something seems off.

This is an unusual frame with plenty of ways to make mistakes. For example, since the frame's offset is 3 mm, I first thought to use 3 mm of spacers when building the wheel, rather than the correct 6 mm. I've built plenty of wheels, but never for an offset frame, so I could see someone making the same mistake I almost made.

If you purchased wheels with centered rims, then adjusted the dish, you may run out of spoke/nipple before reaching the full 3 mm off offset. This is another possible cause for the clearance issue.

Or maybe you did everything correctly and Guerrilla Gravity has misrepresented the tire clearance.

I appreciate your efforts to address the tire clearance question.

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice bike, but I hate that shock placement. I always hit my knees on the shock in bikes with this setup, only an issue for rides without knee pads.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    The shock is down near your ankles while riding; the top tube is typically around knee height.
    I don't wear knee pads most of the time, and I don't think I've ever hit my knees on the shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Looks like a nice bike, but I hate that shock placement. I always hit my knees on the shock in bikes with this setup, only an issue for rides without knee pads.
    You're pedaling weird, my friend.

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Yea maybe a little knock knee'd
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

MR. 36er TROLL

I'm sorry what part of "BIGLY" didn't you understand?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    My knees occasionally brush the top tube of my road bike. No discomfort, but it tipped me off that my biomechanics aren't ideal. Found some varus wedges on sale at a local shop and they seem to help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I know. After riding a dirt jumper for a few years I got used to having almost no bike underneath me.

mtbr member
    Crap - just realized the photos are upside down. They're correct on my computer - anyone know how to make them right side up?
    Use photo editing software, rotate 180 and repost👍

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Use photo editing software, rotate 180 and repost👍
    I was going to ask if he was in Australia or New Zealand. Those guys are notorious for posting stuff upside in the US...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    @dusty

Interested in your views of Riot vs TPistol. I'm having a hard time deciding on a LS 29. You seem you may have some reservation, and I'm just curious about this comparison.

I'm wondering weather 120mm rear is enough travel [for me]. I 'think I need' at least 130-140 rear travel. But, I'm coming from an older '05 Giant Reign 26" 130/150 70*HTA bike. When I trail/XC ride, I think I want less travel for a more fun and lively ride. But, then I throw it down some chunky rocky descents and I'm glad I have the travel for those stupid line choices/mistakes..

Yep, just another guy who wants a fun, fast XC/Trail bike on the smooth and flowy and an AM/Enduro for the chunky gnar in one package.. Does the MRP 120-150 fork help accomplish this? The Evil Following started me on this path, I was then looking at ~3 diff bikes. Then I made the mistake and started reading/watching videos and now have ~20+ bikes on my list.

If I had to make a short list (in no particular order):

Trek Fuel EX 130/130
    Intense Primer 140/115-130
    SC High Tower C 140/135
    Canfield Riot 140/140
    Trek Remedy 140/140

I'd like to keep the complete build around 30#, preferably below. Lighter than my current 32-33# bike. Seems the Riot would be the heaviest, but from what I've read/watched on it, it remains fun and lively while still ticking that longer travel/more capable descender box, maybe even allowing for a decent blue-trail lift access bike (which I'm curious about trying as well)??
    2005 Giant Reign 3
    RockShox Revelation dual-air fork
    SRAM X.9 rear derailleur

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    You can order the Trail Pistol with 130 rear travel now, and coil sprung options will be available soon. I've been riding a coil shock on mine recently and it feels pretty close to a Megatrail when smashing rocks.

friend of Apex
    You can order the Trail Pistol with 130 rear travel now, and coil sprung options will be available soon. I've been riding a coil shock on mine recently and it feels pretty close to a Megatrail when smashing rocks.
    Do want
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    New review is up on Vital, curious about the lines that showed up in the paint on the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TugboatComplex View Post
    New review is up on Vital, curious about the lines that showed up in the paint on the rear triangle.
    Agreed!

And it sounds like a custom tune or a different stock tune on the shock could do wonders, as every review notes how harsh it feels, even when other bikes have similarly short travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    And they announced the roxshock coil is now an option. Hmm...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CDubz View Post
    And they announced the roxshock coil is now an option. Hmm...
    Oh, so that's the coil shock Matt was talking about! Interesting, but if it has the same damping tune, that won't solve the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by R-M-R View Post
    Oh, so that's the coil shock Matt was talking about! Interesting, but if it has the same damping tune, that won't solve the problem.
    Looks like it, a little surprised it wasn't a push.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks like it, a little surprised it wasn't a push.
    Push was already an option, so my money was on the Cane Creek DB Inline Coil. I still think it would be a good choice, as you have a greater range of damping available. Probably waiting on Metric sizes to become available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by R-M-R View Post
    Push was already an option, so my money was on the Cane Creek DB Inline Coil. I still think it would be a good choice, as you have a greater range of damping available. Probably waiting on Metric sizes to become available.
    Push is an option on the trail pistol, I know it is on the megatrail but don't think it is on the pistol?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Push is an option on the trail pistol, I know it is on the megatrail but don't think it is on the pistol?
    Perhaps I'm mistaken. It was discussed earlier in this thread; unsure of the outcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast