Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 418
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,558

    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

    This looks gooood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-trailpistol_slider_1.jpg  

    Last edited by KRob; 07-25-2016 at 10:06 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bubba13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    This looks gooood.
    Yes it does. I wonder how a bike with a wheelbase that long will work as a trail bike?
    Portland Off Road Navagators

  3. #3
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Yes it does. I wonder how a bike with a wheelbase that long will work as a trail bike?
    If you like going fast, it works really well!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    600
    i really like that loop for a tube and pump. I dont know why more companies dont do things like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    545
    Looks great. It would be alarming if it were actually called the "Tail Pistol." Or is a last minute name change in the works?

    Matt, you guys should contract someone to do a couple of runs of custom bikepacking bags--er, freedom bags--for the T.P., one bag above and another below the shock.

  6. #6
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    Looks great. It would be alarming if it were actually called the "Tail Pistol." Or is a last minute name change in the works?

    Matt, you guys should contract someone to do a couple of runs of custom bikepacking bags--er, freedom bags--for the T.P., one bag above and another below the shock.
    Lol, Tail Pistol.

    The original plan was a frame bag down below the shock, but we got out the KISS hammer and simplified it to a strap mount for the basic necessities. A frame bag would still be an option though, JPaks makes bags for the Megatrail and Pedälhead already, you could hit him up for the Trail Pistol.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    939
    I saw this bike live and in person on Friday night for the bbq/party/launch the Guerrilla Gravity crew put on. The bike is pretty dead sexy in person, as in REALLY dead sexy. The F'Yeah blue would be my color. Chatted with a good bunch of the crew, current customers, etc... Great people and really the kind of business and products that are like a siren's song to my pocketbook. If not married i dare say how my impulsive personality would have likely had my buying multiples! I really like the design and overall package of "el sendero pistola"!! Cant wait to give er a demo as I finish up final season on current sled.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Lol, Tail Pistol.

    The original plan was a frame bag down below the shock, but we got out the KISS hammer and simplified it to a strap mount for the basic necessities. A frame bag would still be an option though, JPaks makes bags for the Megatrail and Pedälhead already, you could hit him up for the Trail Pistol.
    Just saw the Megatrail w/ bag on Jpak's instagram. Nice, I may have to call them at some point, and just take the MT camping. The strap mount is brilliant tho.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    939
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-img_5679.jpg

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    I'm digging what you guys are doing right now GG. Great work.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234
    Any chance that bottle will still fit in the front triangle with the super deluxe reservoir? Hard to tell if it would fit with the reservoir facing down, or if it would need to be mounted backwards.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bubba13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    If you like going fast, it works really well!
    I like going fast, but some of our trails are tight and twisty... I own a Large Knolly Warden with a 46.8 WB and the length is noticeable at times. It looks like I would fit a Medium Trail Pistol with a WB of 47.5. Just trying to wrap my head around how that might feel on tighter trails.

    I am a sucker for a well designed aluminum FS frame and the Trail Pistol could fit nicely into the quiver. Does the Trail Pistol work well for stand and sprint type riding? Thanks.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

  13. #13
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc383 View Post
    Any chance that bottle will still fit in the front triangle with the super deluxe reservoir? Hard to tell if it would fit with the reservoir facing down, or if it would need to be mounted backwards.
    What?! I can't hear you over the braaaaaaap!

    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-trail-pistol-super-deluxe.jpg

  14. #14
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I like going fast, but some of our trails are tight and twisty... I own a Large Knolly Warden with a 46.8 WB and the length is noticeable at times. It looks like I would fit a Medium Trail Pistol with a WB of 47.5. Just trying to wrap my head around how that might feel on tighter trails.

    I am a sucker for a well designed aluminum FS frame and the Trail Pistol could fit nicely into the quiver. Does the Trail Pistol work well for stand and sprint type riding? Thanks.
    The liveliness of the suspension and rear end geometry make it snappy in tighter corners where the wheelbase might otherwise feel long.

    As far as standing pedaling, one of the more common bits of feedback we've heard on the Megatrail is that it climbs really well, out of the saddle included. The Trail Pistol is a bit snappier yet.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    What?! I can't hear you over the braaaaaaap!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail Pistol with Super Deluxe.jpg 
Views:	946 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	1082991
    Sick! Thanks for the pic. Working on appropriating some funds and will call you guys in the next week or two

  16. #16
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,027
    Well it's good to know that they know what they're talking about STA has not one damn thing to do with Reach, not a damn thing, the only thing a steeper STA will effect is ETT. I think they've gone to the WAY TOO FAR end with a few others, those Reach numbers are insane.

    ** Please note that with a steeper seat tube angle reach numbers may seem longer compared to the "average" reach numbers of other bikes. For further sizing advice, please email us.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  17. #17
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Well it's good to know that they know what they're talking about STA has not one damn thing to do with Reach, not a damn thing, the only thing a steeper STA will effect is ETT. I think they've gone to the WAY TOO FAR end with a few others, those Reach numbers are insane.

    Whoa.

    Reach: Horizontal distance from the center of the BB to the center of the top of the HT

    I think the misunderstanding is that while designing a frame, if you steepen the seat tube angle, if you don't increase the reach, the effective butt-to-hand measurement gets shorter and makes the bike feel too short. We just pointed out that with the steeper seat tube angle, we increased the Reach number to make the cockpit length feel correct. The reason for pointing that out is if people read the geo charts without understanding the whole package, they might think the bike is too long, hence the comment.

  18. #18
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Being on a Canfield Riot, I would be extremely interested to see how they compare on the trail.

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  19. #19
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,362
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Being on a Canfield Riot, I would be extremely interested to see how they compare on the trail.

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    I second this. Maybe I need to drive up there and see if these guys will let me take a demo out and do a bit of side by side.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    190
    I was dead set on a RM thunderbolt BC until i saw this guy.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,916
    Yeah, looks interesting and it's pretty cool that they are being built here. The wheelbase is simply too long for me. No way I'm going 2.5" in additional WB over my medium Spider 29C.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Erock503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,111
    Man, that does look sexy! Funny to see some familiar names in this thread, birds of a feather I guess, lol.

    Definitley interested to hear some ride reports. nice looking bike GG

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    Man, that does look sexy! Funny to see some familiar names in this thread, birds of a feather I guess, lol.

    Definitley interested to hear some ride reports. nice looking bike GG
    We're just the highly informed and discerning crowd

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Erock503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    We're just the highly informed and discerning crowd

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk


    That, and a bunch of gear addicts.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Truth!

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    Yeah, looks interesting and it's pretty cool that they are being built here. The wheelbase is simply too long for me. No way I'm going 2.5" in additional WB over my medium Spider 29C.
    You should hit us up about finding a demo; when we released the Megatrail, a lot of folks were skeptical about the geometry being too progressive. After riding it, almost everybody agrees with it. This is the next step forward for a short travel 29er, in our opinion.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    579
    How about a demo in San Jose / Norcal? Would love to try both the Trail Pistol and Megatrail
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

  28. #28
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    How about a demo in San Jose / Norcal? Would love to try both the Trail Pistol and Megatrail
    We have a West coast trip planned at the beginning of November. Also, you can email Bikes@RideGG.com and see if we have any BAMF's around there.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    We have a West coast trip planned at the beginning of November. Also, you can email Bikes@RideGG.com and see if we have any BAMF's around there.
    Stopping in or by Salt Lake?

  30. #30
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    Stopping in or by Salt Lake?
    That's usually on the list of stops. I'll mention these location requests...

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    155
    Right on! My Mega needs a new friend.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    939
    Not to hi-jack this thread - but - like I stated in the Megatrail Thread some time back - time for the MODERATORS of MTBR to give GG their own manufacturers forum! They've stood the initial test for a new company, have put out some rad stuff and are what more consumers should be looking for w designed/engineered/made in the USA - customer support and service cuz hey - they do sell direct yet don't cut out the shops that want to participate. I know, I know - don't own one - yet - but that day rapidly approaches! Here's another vote to a GG manufacturers forum - cuz its truly a better vote than for Trump or Clinton!! (ooooohhhh - politics in a bike thread)!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coolhand80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post


    That, and a bunch of gear addicts.
    I am an addict for sure. Haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post


    That, and a bunch of gear addicts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Truth!

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Exxxxcccceellllennnt!!!!!

    (says the low budget gear vulture waiting for a used frame )

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Haha!

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    That's usually on the list of stops. I'll mention these location requests...
    Any chance you'll come the other direction? Pisgah NF in NC is the perfect place to sell some bikes...

  37. #37
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    East Coast demos are high on the priority list, it's a big trip to fit into the schedule, though. I think Will has something in the works with possibly sending demo bikes to an East coast BAMF or Outpost shop.
    We agree, we need to get out that way, one way or another.

  38. #38
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,605
    And a threaded BB. I think I'm falling in love. When you guys head east with that demo trailer, stop in middle TN. Nashville ish. If you have a hard time finding a venue, let me know, I might be able to help. The Trail Pistol looks a lot like the bike I've been asking for.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    289
    Really want to like GG's bikes, as they look killer, ride well, and is an all around cool company, but the length and low BB's kill it for me. I'm not a fan of the short travel, slack 29, either. The jump from 120 to 140 is huge.

    135-150mm rear, 150mm front, 69-67HA, slightly higher BB, a bit shorter...and that blue....this would be on my credit card in a heart beat.

    One bike to rule it all from park to desert to alpine.

  40. #40
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by jselwyn View Post
    Really want to like GG's bikes, as they look killer, ride well, and is an all around cool company, but the length and low BB's kill it for me. I'm not a fan of the short travel, slack 29, either. The jump from 120 to 140 is huge.

    135-150mm rear, 150mm front, 69-67HA, slightly higher BB, a bit shorter...and that blue....this would be on my credit card in a heart beat.

    One bike to rule it all from park to desert to alpine.
    We do make a bike that rides similar to the Trail Pistol with longer travel, so there is that option.

    There's also the option of running 29" wheels in Plush Mode on the Trail Pistol, which steepens the head angle and raises the BB. On the Pinkbike review of the Megatrail, they said it feels more capable in the 150mm travel Trail Mode than some people might expect, and the Trail Pistol DNA is similar, so it made be more capable than you think.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    We do make a bike that rides similar to the Trail Pistol with longer travel, so there is that option.

    There's also the option of running 29" wheels in Plush Mode on the Trail Pistol, which steepens the head angle and raises the BB. On the Pinkbike review of the Megatrail, they said it feels more capable in the 150mm travel Trail Mode than some people might expect, and the Trail Pistol DNA is similar, so it made be more capable than you think.

    I've had a spin on the Mega Trail and found it much more enjoyable that my Nomad 3, but couldn't live with the low BB and wheelbase length for my normal/prefered riding. (I also found the Nomad to suffer those issues and absolutly hated the bike outside of parks or Whistler like terrain)

    I enjoy 29ers and don't find 27.5 bikes to sub for a longer-legged 29. I love that I can have a shorter wheelbase for a given size and slightly steeper angles without giving up stability.

    Something between the Trail Pistol and Mega Trail would be rad. Please.

  42. #42
    Cheeseburgler
    Reputation: gryphonics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    How about a demo in San Jose / Norcal? Would love to try both the Trail Pistol and Megatrail
    Second request for this. I am currently considering an aggressive hardtail bike and the pedalhead is a top contender. Would love a chance to try one out.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,683
    I would be interested to hear Guerrilla Gravity's take on the advantages and disadvantages of a long wheelbase.

    In my limited experience with long wheelbase bikes, they flat out haul ass on technical or non-technical fast singletrack but are a handful on slow technical or slow tight and twisty singletrack. As much as I would like to spend all my time going fast downhill, it's just not a reality on the trails that I ride.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  44. #44
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,362
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I would be interested to hear Guerrilla Gravity's take on the advantages and disadvantages of a long wheelbase.

    In my limited experience with long wheelbase bikes, they flat out haul ass on technical or non-technical fast singletrack but are a handful on slow technical or slow tight and twisty singletrack. As much as I would like to spend all my time going fast downhill, it's just not a reality on the trails that I ride.
    I am willing to bet it is close to mine. On the front range of colorado ( GG home trails) There is a TON of super fast descents. So the long wheel base is almost a must. You can pretty much count on getting in the 30mph plus range on single track covered in a fine layer of kitty litter on every ride. I think this is why yeti bikes are longer as well. The speed that can happen in the rockies in colorado is unreal and begs for a long wheelbase with a low BB. That is really the only complaint of my current bike is that I can really " feel" the speed. All well and good when Im going down slower trails but it will make you tap the brakes more often as the speeds get up in the 30mph zones. things can get.... twitchy for lack of a better word.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I am willing to bet it is close to mine. On the front range of colorado ( GG home trails) There is a TON of super fast descents. So the long wheel base is almost a must. You can pretty much count on getting in the 30mph plus range on single track covered in a fine layer of kitty litter on every ride. I think this is why yeti bikes are longer as well. The speed that can happen in the rockies in colorado is unreal and begs for a long wheelbase with a low BB. That is really the only complaint of my current bike is that I can really " feel" the speed. All well and good when Im going down slower trails but it will make you tap the brakes more often as the speeds get up in the 30mph zones. things can get.... twitchy for lack of a better word.
    That's one of the drawbacks of a super short CS. Also the BB height contributes to that sensation in my experience.

    I love the TP in theory, but the longish wheelbase does cause hesitation since I'm riding East coast tight singletrack.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,558
    Hey Matt, Are you guys going to be at Fall Outerbike in Moab, or Interbike? I'd love to test one and get a review up.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  47. #47
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Moab Outerbike in October: Yep, we'll be there.

    Wheelbase: Our bikes are optimized for going fast, so that's going to be the main priority. As mentioned, there's a lot of wide open hauling ass in Colorado, but we still have a lot of tight switchbacks to get through as well. Our take is you gain more than you lose with a longer wheelbase, given a mix of switchbacks and hauling ass.

    If you spend more time at lower speeds in tight trails, that's where Plush Mode will be a benefit with the steeper head angle to sharpen the steering.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    Add me to the "wish the wheelbase was a bit less" camp. I mean, over 1200mm for a medium frame sounds insane for anything other than open, fast trails. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that working too well here in western PA, where the trails are very tight, twisty, and at times very rocky/technical. I'd be willing to try one out and see where my Strava times come out compared to my "less progressive" bikes. I'm an extremely consistent rider, so it wouldn't take me too many runs to see the difference. Too bad the chance of getting a demo out this way is slim to none.

    I'm stoked to see the frame is made in the USA, is relatively light weight for alloy, has a reasonably slack HTA, a BB height that appears "just high enough", and has a steep seat tube angle (I have long legs, so this is a big factor for me).

  49. #49
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Add me to the "wish the wheelbase was a bit less" camp. I mean, over 1200mm for a medium frame sounds insane for anything other than open, fast trails. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that working too well here in western PA, where the trails are very tight, twisty, and at times very rocky/technical. I'd be willing to try one out and see where my Strava times come out compared to my "less progressive" bikes. I'm an extremely consistent rider, so it wouldn't take me too many runs to see the difference. Too bad the chance of getting a demo out this way is slim to none.

    I'm stoked to see the frame is made in the USA, is relatively light weight for alloy, has a reasonably slack HTA, a BB height that appears "just high enough", and has a steep seat tube angle (I have long legs, so this is a big factor for me).
    I think it's great that Strava times decide new bikes. There is more to life than being a strav*******! Haha

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  50. #50
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    On the wheelbase, keep in mind that a size medium is recommended for people around 5'9" to 6'1"; that often times compares to what would be called a large in other brands. Our sizing is usually about a half size offset from other brands as it produces a situation where less people are between sizes. You could always size down for a shorter wheelbase.

    OhioPT: I believe there are two Trail Pistols on order headed to central PA. We could possibly put you in contact with those riders once they're on them to see what they think about the bike in your region.

  51. #51
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,362
    I'm stoked on the long wheel base!! Just have to use a bit more body English in the tights but would be well worth it when things get going fast. How do the demos up there work? I'm in the springs.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

  52. #52
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I'm stoked on the long wheel base!! Just have to use a bit more body English in the tights but would be well worth it when things get going fast. How do the demos up there work? I'm in the springs.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    For demos, call us, email us, or come in the shop. The Trail Pistol demos are in high demand, so reserving ahead of time (a few days ahead or so) is a good idea. Then, come up here, grab it, go ride.
    We can point you to some local trails that are a good testing grounds, or if you want to take it back down to CO Springs to ride your local terrain, that also works.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vernondozier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43

    trail pistol to broncos games.

    Holy moly, you can ride your trail pistol in 45 seconds from your shop to Invesco for tail gating.....
    How cool......

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    109
    2 mtg7aa:

    This is QUOTE from PB review:
    If you have a bit more coin to spend, you can have your Trail Pistol with Push's ElevenSix, although the delivery date for the shock, which is also manufactured in Colorado, is still a ways out.
    Are you guys really planning to have an option with 11-6?
    Do you think coil will work for such short travel bike?
    Questioning because interested in this option.
    Thanks

  55. #55
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    2 mtg7aa:

    This is QUOTE from PB review:

    Are you guys really planning to have an option with 11-6?
    Do you think coil will work for such short travel bike?
    Questioning because interested in this option.
    Thanks
    Yes! Shocks have evolved lately where air springs have become more coil-like, and coil shocks (especially the ElevenSix) have gained popularity. So, we incorporated that trend into the Trail Pistol design to optimize it for modern air springs and coil springs.
    Push is working on getting the ElevenSix ready for the Trail Pistol; I think it's going to be awesome on a shorter travel bike. Based on experience with the ElevenSix on a Megtrail, I expect small bump compliance and traction that you would be used to on a longer travel bike, but the snappy and lively feel of the shorter travel setup.

  56. #56
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by vernondozier View Post
    Holy moly, you can ride your trail pistol in 45 seconds from your shop to Invesco for tail gating.....
    How cool......
    We've tail gated at the shop before. The landlords rent out the whole parking lot for game day event parking, it's that close.

    When Riot Fest was at the stadium, that was also really awesome. I walked over after work to watch Slayer play live.

  57. #57
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Ordered! This 3 to 5 week wait time is killing me

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coolhand80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Ordered! This 3 to 5 week wait time is killing me

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    What color? What size? Can't wait to see your build.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  59. #59
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    What color? What size? Can't wait to see your build.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I kept it tame with raw. That pepto pink was so tempting!

    Ordered the medium. I am 5'8" but have a 6'4" arm span. I could have played it safe with a small, but I wanted to try the new geo. The small geo was pretty similar to my Canfield Riot

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coolhand80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I kept it tame with raw. That pepto pink was so tempting!

    Ordered the medium. I am 5'8" but have a 6'4" arm span. I could have played it safe with a small, but I wanted to try the new geo. The small geo was pretty similar to my Canfield Riot

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    With your pterodactyl wingspan seems like the medium will fit great and be fun to try the new super long reach trend. I love a raw bike but there is something awesome about that Pepto pink. Raw is better for resale I would think.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I kept it tame with raw. That pepto pink was so tempting!

    Ordered the medium. I am 5'8" but have a 6'4" arm span. I could have played it safe with a small, but I wanted to try the new geo. The small geo was pretty similar to my Canfield Riot

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    BTW, did you ride Banshee Phantom before CB Riot?
    So interested to see the comparition of three these bikes.

  62. #62
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    BTW, did you ride Banshee Phantom before CB Riot?
    So interested to see the comparition of three these bikes.
    Thats one I have not been on. I will be able to compare the Riot, Following and the Trail Pistol though Hope that helps!
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    BTW, did you ride Banshee Phantom before CB Riot?
    So interested to see the comparition of three these bikes.
    That was me


    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Erock503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Thats one I have not been on. I will be able to compare the Riot, Following and the Trail Pistol though Hope that helps!
    Real interested to hear your impressions.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Thats one I have not been on. I will be able to compare the Riot, Following and the Trail Pistol though Hope that helps!

    The following is a bike with simmilar to Phantom attitude.
    Actually,i'm looking for a competitor to Phantom in my stable,but not repacement. Love it so much. Me and my wife are running same size bikes. Now time came to send her trail 26er for retirement.
    For bigger mountains we have Warden & Riot.
    So crossing fingers that in your comparition Trail Pistol will be closer to Following,rather then to Riot

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    109
    That was me
    Ahh
    May be you are planning test rides on Trail Pistol in nearest future?

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    Ahh
    May be you are planning test rides on Trail Pistol in nearest future?
    Unfortunately not. You'll have to rely on Dusty for that info.

    The Riot and Phantom are similar in that they can both get rowdy, but the Riot is much more capable in terms of travel and I think it pedals a little better despite the increased travel.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  68. #68
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Ordered! This 3 to 5 week wait time is killing me

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    What shock are you going to run on the TP?

  69. #69
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    What shock are you going to run on the TP?
    Ordered it with the Deluxe RT3, but will probably end up changing it to the Super Deluxe.

    Either that or go the Avy route. Not sure if Craig even does the metric sizes yet. I am going to call him tomorrow and pick his brain

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slider_phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    417
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Dusty! Always on the lookout for "the next best thing" as a gear head.

    Still loving my Riot (minus the heft) and no signs of a redesign on the Following to sign me back up there. The other option I'm holding out for is what Knolly's up to!

  71. #71
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Dusty! Always on the lookout for "the next best thing" as a gear head.

    Still loving my Riot (minus the heft) and no signs of a redesign on the Following to sign me back up there. The other option I'm holding out for is what Knolly's up to!
    Right! The Knolly mystery still still has me curious too. Hopefully something drops soon

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    109
    The other option I'm holding out for is what Knolly's up to!
    The Knolly mystery still still has me curious too. Hopefully something drops soon
    Ahaha not only me thinking this way
    Also Banshee coming with something new in 2017

  73. #73
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410

    Riding bikes is fun

    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-trail-pistol-southstvrain.jpg

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail Pistol SouthStVrain.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	417.8 KB 
ID:	1084902
    Truer words never spoken.

  75. #75
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail Pistol SouthStVrain.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	417.8 KB 
ID:	1084902
    Nice!

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail Pistol SouthStVrain.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	417.8 KB 
ID:	1084902
    Matt,
    Short comparision MT vs TP climbing abilities,please

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,833
    I read the few reviews on this bike when it launched, it looks and sounds like a nice bike. It's very light for an aluminum bike and workmanship looks great. GG is doing it right and is very competitive price wise. Damn long reach for sure and it definitely puts you over the pedals in the saddle. With the long FC I'm sure that there less issues weighting the front end and staying centered in attack position. I would also think that it would work well with short <50mm stems.
    Regarding it being any more simple than most bikes seems like marketing BS to me. It has 8 suspension bearings that I count and a linkage driving the shock so how is it simpler than most other designs? Still it's very clean in design with some nice features and I'll bet it pedals well and has good AS with its pivot placement and link orientation.
    Last edited by manitou2200; 07-30-2016 at 08:00 AM.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    Matt,
    Short comparision MT vs TP climbing abilities,please
    I'd be interested in this, too.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    555
    Can't wait to try one of these. Super interesting geo.

    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp.jpg

  80. #80
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Can't wait to try one of these. Super interesting geo.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GG TP.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	1085259
    Did you ride it? That was up in Winter Park for demo rides.

  81. #81
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    Matt,
    Short comparision MT vs TP climbing abilities,please
    If you've ridden a Megatrail, it feels similar to what you'd expect of a Megatrail with shorter travel and larger wheels.

    The suspension feel is very similar (on purpose), just less travel, so it's a bit more sprightly and snappy.

    If you haven't ridden a Megatrail, read some of the reviews. What we generally hear from people is that they knew it would descend well, but were surprised about how well it climbs, including out of the saddle sprints. Take that ride and apply the same thought as above: less travel and more wheel.

  82. #82
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    If you've ridden a Megatrail, it feels similar to what you'd expect of a Megatrail with shorter travel and larger wheels.

    The suspension feel is very similar (on purpose), just less travel, so it's a bit more sprightly and snappy.

    If you haven't ridden a Megatrail, read some of the reviews. What we generally hear from people is that they knew it would descend well, but were surprised about how well it climbs, including out of the saddle sprints. Take that ride and apply the same thought as above: less travel and more wheel.
    Bigger is better. Less is more. Almost a paradox...

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    If you've ridden a Megatrail, it feels similar to what you'd expect of a Megatrail with shorter travel and larger wheels.

    The suspension feel is very similar (on purpose), just less travel, so it's a bit more sprightly and snappy.

    If you haven't ridden a Megatrail, read some of the reviews. What we generally hear from people is that they knew it would descend well, but were surprised about how well it climbs, including out of the saddle sprints. Take that ride and apply the same thought as above: less travel and more wheel.
    Matt, Thanks a lot!

    More confused now))) Sounds like TP is acting like a go-big bike...
    Will wait direct comparision Trail Pistol vs Riot by Dusty.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    Sub'd to this. I've had a process 111 and I currently have an Evill the Following as my full suspension though I do 90% of my riding on a made in the USA hardtail. I'd love to check this out as an alternative.

    Love my Evil so it will be hard to supplant. I would love a bit more reach like the trail pistol. 450mm with a 50mm stem seems to be the sweet spot for me. I like the longer reach on the TP and it looks like the ST angle is a bit steeper which usually makes for nicer pedaling.

    My main interest is how the Trail Pistol responds to pedaling, antisquat. Second interest would be lateral stiffness and finally I'd like to know like a lot of others, how it would handle something like a steep, tight 180 switchback, something we have a lot of with Pisgah area riding.

    I'm going to be in Denver for the first time the weekend of the 12th. Hopefully I can make time to check out the shop if the GF will tolerate it.

  85. #85
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    Matt, Thanks a lot!

    More confused now))) Sounds like TP is acting like a go-big bike...
    Will wait direct comparision Trail Pistol vs Riot by Dusty.
    Most of the parts are just sitting here waiting to put on the bike! Ordering up wheel parts today.

    Between the 111, Following, Yelli, Nimble 9 and the Riot, my favorite has been the Riot.

    I am excited to see what the TP brings to the table and how it compares to the Riot.

    The Riot really pushed the geometry envelope for 29ers. The 16.2 inch chainstay and 77deg STA is still a thing of beauty. GG has taken it another step forward with the longer wheelbase and mega reach.

    Knowing this, I actually ordered a Large(currently on a med) Riot last week in order to be able to compare the Riot and TP better. Between a Large Riot and Medium TP, geo is fairly close. There are some differences, but it's much closer than the medium Riot.

    This way I will be able to compare the 2 more closely since the main differences will be suspension design.

    At any rate, I am looking forward to it.

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  86. #86
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Sub'd to this. I've had a process 111 and I currently have an Evill the Following as my full suspension though I do 90% of my riding on a made in the USA hardtail. I'd love to check this out as an alternative.

    Love my Evil so it will be hard to supplant. I would love a bit more reach like the trail pistol. 450mm with a 50mm stem seems to be the sweet spot for me. I like the longer reach on the TP and it looks like the ST angle is a bit steeper which usually makes for nicer pedaling.

    My main interest is how the Trail Pistol responds to pedaling, antisquat. Second interest would be lateral stiffness and finally I'd like to know like a lot of others, how it would handle something like a steep, tight 180 switchback, something we have a lot of with Pisgah area riding.

    I'm going to be in Denver for the first time the weekend of the 12th. Hopefully I can make time to check out the shop if the GF will tolerate it.
    Give us a call and reserve a demo for when you're in town, and we can point you towards a trail most similar to what you have at home.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Hey Matt, when do you expect to have details about a CA demo tour? Any idea where you'll be? Definitely have some suggestions, if you're unfamiliar with SoCal.

  88. #88
    Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    177
    Has anyone considered the TP with a 140 fork and maybe a Super Deluxe rear and making it lean more towards the AM spectrum? I considered this as an option for my XL build and was curious if anyone else was going this route? Or stick with my 160mm bike for bike parks/gnarlier stuff and keep the TP 130/120 with a lighter weight spec? Decisions, decisions.

  89. #89
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Has anyone considered the TP with a 140 fork and maybe a Super Deluxe rear and making it lean more towards the AM spectrum? I considered this as an option for my XL build and was curious if anyone else was going this route? Or stick with my 160mm bike for bike parks/gnarlier stuff and keep the TP 130/120 with a lighter weight spec? Decisions, decisions.
    Mine will probably start with a 120 until MRP comes out with their boost fork. Depending on how I like 120, I may bump to 140.

    There might even be an Avy coil shock in the future. We shall see

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Give us a call and reserve a demo for when you're in town, and we can point you towards a trail most similar to what you have at home.
    Man I'd love to but my girlfriend doesn't ride and since our time is limited that means I can't ride either. It will absolutely kill me to be near all that nice terrain and not get to be on the bike! Hopefully I'll still get a chance to swing by the shop though.

  91. #91
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Hey Matt, when do you expect to have details about a CA demo tour? Any idea where you'll be? Definitely have some suggestions, if you're unfamiliar with SoCal.
    I looked into it, and the trip in November is for meeting with shops in the area, looking to set up several outposts in California. The goal is to get a few shops to have demo GG bikes. You have Will's contact info, right? Hit him up, he could use some tips for areas/shops, etc.

  92. #92
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Mine will probably start with a 120 until MRP comes out with their boost fork. Depending on how I like 120, I may bump to 140.

    There might even be an Avy coil shock in the future. We shall see

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    With the MRP Stage, it's easy to adjust travel, so you can experiment with 120, 130, and 140.

  93. #93
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Has anyone considered the TP with a 140 fork and maybe a Super Deluxe rear and making it lean more towards the AM spectrum? I considered this as an option for my XL build and was curious if anyone else was going this route? Or stick with my 160mm bike for bike parks/gnarlier stuff and keep the TP 130/120 with a lighter weight spec? Decisions, decisions.
    Shock setup also has a noticeable impact on feel. We've found:

    25% sag, standard air volume config = trail bike feel

    27% sag, add 1 air volume spacer to the shock = all mountain feel

  94. #94
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by williamlorris View Post
    Looks great. It would be alarming if it were actually called the "Tail Pistol." Or is a last minute name change in the works?
    Krob made a typo on the thread title and mtbr apparently won't allow him to change it

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,833
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Krob made a typo on the thread title and mtbr apparently won't allow him to change it
    Can't he (Krob, since he started it) ask a moderator to change the title?

  96. #96
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Shock setup also has a noticeable impact on feel. We've found:

    25% sag, standard air volume config = trail bike feel

    27% sag, add 1 air volume spacer to the shock = all mountain feel
    Does the frame come with a few volume spacers? That would be a nice bonus.

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

  97. #97
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Does the frame come with a few volume spacers? That would be a nice bonus.

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The shocks come with 2 air volume spacers, and I'm working on getting a pile of extras to give everybody the ability to run the 3rd spacer since it kicks so much ass.
    Those things are harder to get than I would have thought.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,833
    You can make the spacers out of ski base/ ptex if needed. You just cut the width and length to fit inside the air can. I've been doing this for 8 years or so now.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    765
    Looks great, can't wait to see moar build photos

    Frame is 6.5lbs with no shock right? That seems light to me, it's a shock away from the Following weight (6.5 with shock).

    Also fwiw, my 1200mm WB Spitfire shreds in Pisgah and has no problems with switchbacks. I bet this thing will fly.

  100. #100
    Chris Bling
    Reputation: dustyduke22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    You can make the spacers out of ski base/ ptex if needed. You just cut the width and length to fit inside the air can. I've been doing this for 8 years or so now.
    Pics? Sounds like problem solving at its finest !

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review
    By rudeboybl in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 07-17-2017, 10:48 AM
  2. Guerrila gravity trail pistol
    By letsgo in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2017, 10:37 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-29-2016, 04:35 PM
  4. Transition Smuggler or Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol
    By blue_biker in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-30-2016, 06:29 PM

Members who have read this thread: 498

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •