Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    We got a set of Maxxis 29x2.6 tires to verify fit recently. G2G. I'm looking forward to trying them myself.
    So...any news on the fit of the 2.6s?

mdc
    mtbr member
    I mounted a set of the eThirteen TRS race (2.35) and have probably a little less than a quarter inch to spare on the drive side, but plenty of room on the non drive side. I made sure the rear wheel was dished 3mm to the non drive side, but wonder if I could have it dished another few mm to give some additional clearance on the drive side......

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNateDude View Post
    So...any news on the fit of the 2.6s?
    Mounted up a set of Rekon 2.6's. They fit, it's the biggest that will clear, but it's doable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Mounted up a set of Rekon 2.6's. They fit, it's the biggest that will clear, but it's doable.
    Nice. I've been really excited for the (hopefully) new wave of wider tires. I'm not really a fan of the "plus" stuff, but I've found 2.5s to be better than 2.4s, and 2.4s to be better than 2.3s, etc.

Any thoughts on the relative differences in widths between the Rekons and the DHF/DHR tires? (I have zero experience with Rekons.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    I mounted a set of the eThirteen TRS race (2.35) and have probably a little less than a quarter inch to spare on the drive side, but plenty of room on the non drive side. I made sure the rear wheel was dished 3mm to the non drive side, but wonder if I could have it dished another few mm to give some additional clearance on the drive side......
    Interesting. I have a Maxxis Monion DHR in 2.3 on the back of my TP (the stock tire I ordered it with) and feel like there's tons of extra room around/beside it. Is the E13 tire that much bigger than the Maxxis stuff?

Also, how do you like those tires? I read a lot of positive reviews of them, but I've never even seen one in person - not sure where I'd have to go if I wanted to buy them (besides their site, of course - I mean locally.)

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Interesting. I have a Maxxis Monion DHR in 2.3 on the back of my TP (the stock tire I ordered it with) and feel like there's tons of extra room around/beside it. Is the E13 tire that much bigger than the Maxxis stuff?

Also, how do you like those tires? I read a lot of positive reviews of them, but I've never even seen one in person - not sure where I'd have to go if I wanted to buy them (besides their site, of course - I mean locally.)
    I haven't ridden the 2.6 Rekons yet, but have some miles on the 27.5x2.8 version. They are similar to the 2.4 Ardent as a decent all-rounder as fast rolling, light, can take a corner, albeit don't have the open channel of the 2.4 Ardent between center and side knobs. I will likely be cutting some intermediate knobs out of the 2.6 Rekon when I get a pair to ride, as the 2.8 version feels like they sit on top of loose vs dig in. That'll come at the expense of mid-lean angle grip, though, and make it feel more like the 2.4 Ardent.

The DHF/DHR tires have ridiculous confidence and grip, imo, for railing loose terrain. The Rekon, I anticipate, will be lighter and faster rolling with not quite the same grip in loose corners. The 2.6 version is approx. 30" OD, so may roll over things a little easier yet than a 2.3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I haven't ridden the 2.6 Rekons yet, but have some miles on the 27.5x2.8 version. They are similar to the 2.4 Ardent as a decent all-rounder as fast rolling, light, can take a corner, albeit don't have the open channel of the 2.4 Ardent between center and side knobs. I will likely be cutting some intermediate knobs out of the 2.6 Rekon when I get a pair to ride, as the 2.8 version feels like they sit on top of loose vs dig in. That'll come at the expense of mid-lean angle grip, though, and make it feel more like the 2.4 Ardent.

The DHF/DHR tires have ridiculous confidence and grip, imo, for railing loose terrain. The Rekon, I anticipate, will be lighter and faster rolling with not quite the same grip in loose corners. The 2.6 version is approx. 30" OD, so may roll over things a little easier yet than a 2.3.
    Would you anticipate that a 29x 2.6 DHF or DHR (should they exist soon as is rumored) would fit similarly to a 2.6 Rekon?

mdc
    mtbr member
    The e13's are a 2.35, but run closer to a 2.4. The side knobs are huge compared to a Minion and they rail corners. I purchased the sticky race version of the tire, which is fantastic on off- camber roots , slick rocks, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    The e13's are a 2.35, but run closer to a 2.4. The side knobs are huge compared to a Minion and they rail corners. I purchased the sticky race version of the tire, which is fantastic on off- camber roots , slick rocks, etc.
    Sounds like a pretty solid performer.
    I just measured my Minion DHF 2.3; 2.31 at the knobs and 2.37 at the sidewalls on a 30.5mm internal rim (the i9 Enduro S wheels the TP came with) at the 27psi I've been running on this setup.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Would you anticipate that a 29x 2.6 DHF or DHR (should they exist soon as is rumored) would fit similarly to a 2.6 Rekon?
    Yes

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yes
    Awesome - thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    With a 55 mm stroke on the rear and a lyric 120/150, would the bike be over forked?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Interested in this step to. The GG website indicates that the max fork is 150. Technically okay. I have wondered about this myself. Going from GGs site guidance I think the HA would be a good 65.8deg and the BB height be a bad 344mm. Mixed feels, will just have to try it.

Hey Matt, how does the Pistola set up roll mate, does it up the party, tantalise us some more?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    With a 55 mm stroke on the rear and a lyric 120/150, would the bike be over forked?
    I'll be interested in Matt's thought as well but since they sell the bike with that exact fork I'll guess that they're happy/comfortable with the setup?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Maxxis DHR 2 in 29X2.3 looks positively anorexic compared to the eThirteen TRS tires mounted on the same rim. I originally had this setup on my TP. TRSr up front and the DHR2 double down in back. I've already swapped it out for the new 2.4 Bontrager SE4 team issue to gain some contact patch and ride quality. Mission accomplished.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice. I was running DHF 2.5s on my Process 111 before I got the TP and was pretty happy with that setup. Since the DHF (3C compound) that came on the TP is already getting bald with 6 weeks and 180 miles on it I have a DHF 2.5 in the Dual Compound arriving today. The plan is to put the new 2.5 on the front and swap the 2.3 DHF that's currently on the front to the back and run it 'till it's bald (won't be long, I'm sure.) I'm hoping that the 2.6s make their debut by the time I need another tire for the back. If they don't it'll be another 2.5 DHF for the back.

mtbr member
    29x2.6 Minions are still a long ways out. Squashing that rumor before it gains any traction.

I'll take some pictures of a 29x2.50WT Aggressor on the back of mine when I get one swapped on over the next few days. Switching my Pistol from a 2.4 DHR II/ 2.35 Ikon setup to a 2.5 DHF/ 2.5 Aggressor setup in preparation for a trip to Retallack Lodge in a few weeks and some road trips up to the Pisgah. If you can get away with an Ikon on the rear, that Minion/Ikon is a killer trail bike combo, stupidly fast and predictable for Southeast US loose over hard conditions; really well suited for a short travel ripper like the Pistol.

Disclaimer - I work for Maxxis and these opinions are my own.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    29x2.6 Minions are still a long ways out.
    Please help us understand "a long ways out" as best you can. 6 months? A year? 18 months? 3 years? Thank you.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Please help us understand "a long ways out" as best you can. 6 months? A year? 18 months? 3 years? Thank you.
    =s
    I cant really comment on that at the moment. They're inevitable but I'm going to have to leave it at that, hope you understand.

Keep on Rockin...
    29x2.6 Minions are still a long ways out. Squashing that rumor before it gains any traction.

I'll take some pictures of a 29x2.50WT Aggressor on the back of mine when I get one swapped on over the next few days. Switching my Pistol from a 2.4 DHR II/ 2.35 Ikon setup to a 2.5 DHF/ 2.5 Aggressor setup in preparation for a trip to Retallack Lodge in a few weeks and some road trips up to the Pisgah. If you can get away with an Ikon on the rear, that Minion/Ikon is a killer trail bike combo, stupidly fast and predictable for Southeast US loose over hard conditions; really well suited for a short travel ripper like the Pistol.

Thanks.

This question is not really specific to 29' but rather to your 2.6" tires vs. 2.5" tires.

On my 275 I run 2.3" Minions. Moving to a 2.5" Minion bogs me down. Feels like a much burlier, heavy, slow tire, albeit with tons of traction, but way more than I need.

Are the new 2.6" tires just another step in the continum of the 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, or are they designed to be a different animal? Are they going to be an even burlier version of the 2.5"? Or will they have a lighter casing, faster roller?

From what I hear, they are being made to be along the lines of the latter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    29x2.6 Minions are still a long ways out.
    Not the answer I was looking for I appreciate being straightforward about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    29x2.50WT Aggressor
    I'd be pretty interested in that tire too, if it's actually bigger than the current 29 x 2.3. I put on a 29 x 2.5WT Minion DHF last night and was a little disappointed in its size. It's about 1mm narrower than a 29 x 2.3 Minion DHF on the same 30.5mm wide I9 wheel. I then measured an old 29 x 2.5 (non WT) on a Stans Flow (25mm internal) and it's wider than the new WT. I understand it will stretch a little with use, but I really thought it would be bigger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I understand it will stretch a little with use, but I really thought it would be bigger.
    That's what she said? LOL. In all seriousness, I've heard that several times about the WT tires.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-trsr.jpg

Here's a pic showing the drive side clearance with the E13 trs 2.35 tire. I can't imagine having room for something larger...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Are the new 2.6" tires just another step in the continum of the 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, or are they designed to be a different animal? Are they going to be an even burlier version of the 2.5"? Or will they have a lighter casing, faster roller?

We're releasing the 2.6" projects with a lighter 120 TPI casing option which keeps the weight comparable to and sometimes lighter than the 2.4-2.5" 60 TPI casing tires. On 27.5 wheels/tires the 2.6" has 7% more volume than the 2.5" so there's a noticeable change in small-bump compliance without the drastic change you get when moving to a full plus setup.

The new 2.4-2.6" WT tires will measure true to size if you mount them up on a rim and let them rest for a day or two at the max pressure your rim supports (often 40 psi), this allows the casing to relax and stretch out, giving you a bit more volume when you air down to standard riding pressures. If you dont do this right off the bat, you'll notice them grow over the next few weeks, it'll just happen more slowly. Most of the WT tires are ending with casing width equal to knob width in order to give the sidewalls a ton of support when using the wider rims.

EDIT: Clarifying this statement above. The tires are measuring true to size on the as-designed 35mm internal width rims. You will lose a bit of overall width if you use a narrower rim.
    Last edited by GTscoob; 06-09-2017 at 05:35 AM.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    Will took that exact setup on a trip to Canada last year and was a big fan. Whenever the 150 feels tall, turn the knob and run it at 120. 150/130 f/r is full party.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I can't imagine having room for something larger...
    Yeah the eThirteens are really big for their listed size. I run them on the front only of both my bikes. I'm a big fan.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    mdc: as far as side knob clearance, the diameter of the widest part is as important as the width. Some Schwalbe tires, and apparently the e13's, have the widest part at a really large diameter and use up a lot of clearance, even for a tire that's listed as a 2.35. Interestingly, some of those 2.35's use up more clearance than the 2.6's due to that. It sounds odd, I know. We made a revision update to the drive side chainstay earlier this year to give a couple more mm of room for tires like those.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    We made a revision update to the drive side chainstay earlier this year to give a couple more mm of room for tires like those.
    can someone order that piece for their current frame?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    can someone order that piece for their current frame?
    Sure

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    The new 2.4-2.6" WT tires will measure true to size if you mount them up on a rim and let them rest for a day or two at the max pressure your rim supports (often 40 psi), this allows the casing to relax and stretch out, giving you a bit more volume when you air down to standard riding pressures. If you dont do this right off the bat, you'll notice them grow over the next few weeks, it'll just happen more slowly. Most of the WT tires are ending with casing width equal to knob width in order to give the sidewalls a ton of support when using the wider rims.
    My measurements mirror GTscoob's statement above.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey Matt, my dropper routing black rubber piece (the one that keeps dirt and water out of the frame) has gotten shredded. Anyway I could get one or two of them?

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    Anyone have some Maxxis 2.6 Rekons on their Trail Pistol yet? Any thoughts on where to buy them?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Hey Matt, my dropper routing black rubber piece (the one that keeps dirt and water out of the frame) has gotten shredded. Anyway I could get one or two of them?
    I missed this before. Yep, call up the shop. 303-955-4163 or Bikes@RideGG.com

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Anyone have some Maxxis 2.6 Rekons on their Trail Pistol yet? Any thoughts on where to buy them?
    The current ETA for OEM versions is still a ways out, so I don't think they're available aftermarket yet either.

mtbr member
    Maxxis tire sizing is a joke. A lot of my friends run Maxxis tires and when they see my Conti TK 2.4 they ask it it's a plus tire. I have to let them know it's a 2.4" tire. They are shocked because they are running a 2.4" or 2.5" tire. Sadly they measure so small there is no contest.

A Maxxis 2.5" WT has knobs that are nearly as wide as a Conti TK 2.4", but the casing is not as big. Then they don't make a rear 2.5" tire to match like the DHRII....which seems odd.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    A Maxxis 2.5" WT has knobs that are nearly as wide as a Conti TK 2.4", but the casing is not as big. Then they don't make a rear 2.5" tire to match like the DHRII....which seems odd.
    I used to think that the sizing was pretty small too until I took the advice of someone that works for Maxxis earlier in this thread. The suggestion was to inflate them to their max pressure and let them sit for 48 hours, then adjust and go ride. The result is that my 29 x 2.5WT (front) measures 2.48" and my 29 x 2.3 (rear) measures 2.39". Both are mounted on the 30.5mm internal Enduro S wheels my TP came with.

I can't really complain about 0.02" on the front and would be fine if the rear measured a little truer to size. At 30psi, the rear tire rubs the chainstays (both sides) when I sprint, so I really don't need it to be any wider.

mtbr member

Guerrilla Gravity Tail Pistol

Since we have this tire focused thread diversion going here I'll comment on the tires in question above. I can confirm that the previous few generations of Maxxis tires were overstated in the size but the DHF and DHR2 non WT are spot on if not understated in their dimensions. My DHF 2.5 EXO is 2.6+"/ 67mm wide at the lugs and the casing measures 2.45"/ 62mm on a 30mm IW rim. The DHR2 2.3 EXO is 2.34"/ 59mm wide at the tread lugs and 2.28"/ 58mm wide at the casing on a 30mm IW rim. So they are accurate to even generous on sizing. The DHF 2.5 is one of the biggest non plus tires made and it's bigger than the Conti TK 2.4 which it should be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Deleted
    Last edited by chasejj; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:26 PM.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Thanks.

This question is not really specific to 29' but rather to your 2.6" tires vs. 2.5" tires.

On my 275 I run 2.3" Minions. Moving to a 2.5" Minion bogs me down. Feels like a much burlier, heavy, slow tire, albeit with tons of traction, but way more than I need.

So I'm not sure what answer you have for this, but I can give you at least a weight answer: dang, the 2.6 DHF is much lighter than the 2.5s. There's supposed to be some more volume too so you can run them a bit lower pressure too, but beyond that, I haven't used them yet.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Are the colors on GG bikes powder coat or ano? Hard to tell from the pictures.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Deleted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-fullsizeoutput_156a.jpg  

Last edited by chasejj; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:33 PM.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    They are Powder Coat. The satin looks like Ano though. My black one

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-fullsizeoutput_156a.jpg
    Awesome. Looks like a race car

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Yep, as mentioned, powder coat.

mtbr member
    They are Powder Coat. The satin looks like Ano though. My black one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_156a.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	1147991
    Ano? Does anyone one know what ano is in spanish? Hard to read that without cracking up.........

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by vernondozier View Post
    Ano? Does anyone one know what ano is in spanish? Hard to read that without cracking up.........
    Claro que si. And I'm relieved to hear they chose powder-coating instead.

Reminds me of a friend whose Spanish skills were rudimentary, and was courting a Chilean woman at the time. He sent her a card that said "°Feliz Ano Nuevo!" Luckily she had a good sense of humor...
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    Clearance shots of the upcoming 29x2.50WT Aggressor. This tire measured identical to my front 2.50WT DHF, both mounted on 36mm inner width rims (Industry9 BackCountry360). These should be widely available by early October if not sooner. Probably not going to change this tire setup for a while now, it's that good.

Chainstay clearance, tons on the NDS, plenty enough on the DS.
    Name:  fD6VeoBm.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  24.0 KB

Seatsay clearance, lots of clearance on both sides.
    Name:  ycnVBDNm.jpg
Views: 1038

meatier showers
    Clearance shots of the upcoming 29x2.50WT Aggressor. This tire measured identical to my front 2.50WT DHF, both mounted on 36mm inner width rims (Industry9 BackCountry360). These should be widely available by early October if not sooner. Probably not going to change this tire setup for a while now, it's that good.

Thanks for posting this!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    DHF 2.50WT
    Question - The 29x2.5 DHF on the Maxxis site isn't listed as a WT model. Is this a misprint or is the WT model a new tire?
    Supply Side Jesusnomisist

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

This pleases me greatly. The 29x2.3 Aggressor with the EXO casing seems to made of unobtainium all of a sudden, with most shops and outlets saying late October until they have more in stock. If this is available in October I'll just get this instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    Question - The 29x2.5 DHF on the Maxxis site isn't listed as a WT model. Is this a misprint or is the WT model a new tire?
    New mold coming out soon.

This pleases me greatly. The 29x2.3 Aggressor with the EXO casing seems to made of unobtainium all of a sudden, with most shops and outlets saying late October until they have more in stock. If this is available in October I'll just get this instead.
    Demand has been unreal for the Aggressor. 2.3s and 2.5s should be coming at the same time.

If any of you have any followup questions don't hesitate to PM me. Wasnt trying to derail this thread, GG's are rad, wishing the rain would stop here in the SE so our trails would dry out. Getting the itch to see how my TP can handle Bailey Bike Park and Windrock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That's odd - the 29x2.5 Minion DHF I recently bought says WT on it. (Although it does look exactly like the 29x2.5 Minion DHF (non WT) that I bought last year. It seems like the update might have been limited to adding "WT" to the sidewall.

mtbr member
    Back to the Trail Pistol in lieu of tire talk.

For sure this is my next bike. Now what's the deal with putting a 55mm shock on it? I'm going to get the ElevenSix either way.

I assume it results in slightly steeper seat and head angles, compensated by running a longer fork, which yields pretty close to stock angles, but with a higher bottom bracket? Do I have that right?

With a 55mm shock, can a person run those sweet 29x2.5" tires that page 4 is all about, or will they hit the seat tube?

Mannie Garcias
    Supply Side Jesusnomisist

meatier showers
    ... Now what's the deal with putting a 55mm shock on it? ...

I assume it results in slightly steeper seat and head angles, compensated by running a longer fork, which yields pretty close to stock angles, but with a higher bottom bracket? Do I have that right? ...
    That's what I did with mine. I'm running 185mm cranks so I wanted a higher BB.

... With a 55mm shock, can a person run those sweet 29x2.5" tires that page 4 is all about, or will they hit the seat tube?
    I haven't run 29" tires wider than the stock 2.4" DHR2s on i30.5 rims but there's plenty of room in the fork and frame for wider tires. Plenty.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    That's odd - the 29x2.5 Minion DHF I recently bought says WT on it. (Although it does look exactly like the 29x2.5 Minion DHF (non WT) that I bought last year. It seems like the update might have been limited to adding "WT" to the sidewall.
    Same. Mine works great on an i25 rim
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Smithhammer;13260749]Claro que si. And I'm relieved to hear they chose powder-coating instead.

LOL....this still cracks me up....pesky tilde....

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Back to the Trail Pistol in lieu of tire talk.

For sure this is my next bike. Now what's the deal with putting a 55mm shock on it? I'm going to get the ElevenSix either way.

I assume it results in slightly steeper seat and head angles, compensated by running a longer fork, which yields pretty close to stock angles, but with a higher bottom bracket? Do I have that right?

With a 55mm shock, can a person run those sweet 29x2.5" tires that page 4 is all about, or will they hit the seat tube?

Mannie Garcias
    \m/ The ELEVENSIX on the Trail Pistol is awesome.

The longer stroke does not change the geometry, as the fully extended eye to eye length is the same 210mm as the standard 50mm stroke shock. It adds extra wheel travel past bottom out compared to the 120mm rear wheel travel setup. That's why the tire OD is limited.
    The official compatibility with the 130mm rear travel/55mm stroke shock setup is 29x2.4. However, I've run a 29x2.5 Shorty in the rear with a 55mm stroke ELEVENSIX at Angel Fire on my Trail Pistol in Plush Mode and didn't have any seat tube rubbing. Crush Mode would probably rub. So, if you're pushing the limits of what fits, make sure to check it before riding, but Plush Mode provides more clearance at bottom out.

This is my bike from that day at Angel Fire. Braaaap.
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-trail-pistol-elevensix-angel-fire.jpg

AOK
    mtbr member
    Got to demo a Trail Pistol today... yada yada yada... anyone want to buy a great condition Ripley LS?

Would have bought the TP on the spot but the shop wouldn't sell me the demo frame only.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Got to demo a Trail Pistol today... yada yada yada... anyone want to buy a great condition Ripley LS?

Would have bought the TP on the spot but the shop wouldn't sell me the demo frame only.
    Ha - similar story; I demoed the TP at the Sedona MTB Festival in March and, upon returning to their demo tent/van, I asked if I could place my order on the spot. They said to please call on Monday and talk to Allison...

AOK
    mtbr member
    Ha - similar story; I demoed the TP at the Sedona MTB Festival in March and, upon returning to their demo tent/van, I asked if I could place my order on the spot. They said to please call on Monday and talk to Allison...
    I'm sure the shop has their reasons (as they tried to explain to me) but I honestly don't understand the bike industry and LBS in particular. All of these supplier & distributor rules that make them do things a certain way, but at the end of the day they turned away a customer ready to buy with credit card in hand. Now I will be ordering direct from GG and the LBS loses me as a customer (the shop is an hour away, so not much incentive for me to order through them).

It just doesn't seem like a good business practice. Admittedly I have never run my own business so what do I know.

I did get my hopes up briefly that I would be riding my new GG when I head to WNC in a few weeks. Oh well...

Back to bike talk.

I was really impressed with how the TP railed down my twisty southeast singletrack. On paper I was worried about the longer wheelbase, but in practice the handling put the other bikes I have owned recently to shame. Loved the stiffness of the frame and how well it tracked. The suspension was awesome -- all the comments about this being a great pedaling / climbing bike are spot on. (I ran 29er wheels in crush mode with about 30% sag, FWIW.) As advertised the size medium frame was a great fit for me despite the fact that every bike I have ever owned has been a large.

My only complaint was occasional heel rub on the chain stays. This has been a minor issue on every bike I have ridden with stays less than 17.3" or so. Not a big deal but I wouldn't mind a tad more clearance.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-thumb_img_7685_1024.jpg

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    AOK: that looks like those cranks have the 134mm long spindle, with the chainring dished out. Our default is to use the 143mm spindle, which gives you 5mm more heal clearance per side.

AOK
    mtbr member
    AOK: that looks like those cranks have the 134mm long spindle, with the chainring dished out. Our default is to use the 143mm spindle, which gives you 5mm more heal clearance per side.
    Good to know. I suspect the heel rub has more to do with my "unique" style than anything since I have had the issue on other frames.

Question - the frame I rode had a Super Deluxe RC3 shock, but I don't see this as an option on the GG website. Is the Super Deluxe no longer offered for the TP?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Funny thing, I did a demo on a Megatrail SS and knew I had to have one. I got the wife clearance and ordered one immediately.

I don't know what it is exactly about their bikes, but I've never been so completely blown away by a bike before.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Funny thing, I did a demo on a Megatrail SS and knew I had to have one. I got the wife clearance and ordered one immediately.

I don't know what it is exactly about their bikes, but I've never been so completely blown away by a bike before.
    Yep I hear you. I test rode a friends v1 XS megatrail with 26" tires and I could tell that bike was magic. Mainly because I could jump it so easily and confidently enough to even crash on it my first ride out.

Once I test rode it I was sold. It was the first bike in years that felt like yeah, I can rock this and grow into it and be really happy.

AOK
    mtbr member
    What is the correct headset for the Trail Pistol?

ZS49 top, correct?

Can the lower be ZS49 or does it have to be EC49?

mtbr member
    It's a straight 49mm steerer which opens up a lot of flexibility for 1.5 steerers, Anglesets, etc. I'm sure you could use a ZS49 on the bottom but it would drop the front end down a bit, reducing stack, increasing reach, steepening the HTA a smidge.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Yep^^. Fork crown/down tube clearance is the only other thing to check. It's probably fine, but could be tight with a fat crowned fork.

AOK
    mtbr member
    I am having a great time on my new TP -- so far the best / most fun bike I have owned in a long time. Very glad I decided to check GG out.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-ggtp1.jpg

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-ggtp2.jpg

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    \m/ The ELEVENSIX on the Trail Pistol is awesome.

The longer stroke does not change the geometry, as the fully extended eye to eye length is the same 210mm as the standard 50mm stroke shock. It adds extra wheel travel past bottom out compared to the 120mm rear wheel travel setup. That's why the tire OD is limited.
    The official compatibility with the 130mm rear travel/55mm stroke shock setup is 29x2.4. However, I've run a 29x2.5 Shorty in the rear with a 55mm stroke ELEVENSIX at Angel Fire on my Trail Pistol in Plush Mode and didn't have any seat tube rubbing. Crush Mode would probably rub. So, if you're pushing the limits of what fits, make sure to check it before riding, but Plush Mode provides more clearance at bottom out.

This is my bike from that day at Angel Fire. Braaaap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail Pistol with ELEVENSIX at Angel Fire.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	1148776
    do you moto as well?

mtbr member
    I am having a great time on my new TP -- so far the best / most fun bike I have owned in a long time. Very glad I decided to check GG out.
    So stoked for you and the new TrailPistol. I too really feel like this bike rips up and down the twisty, technical, singletrack despite what the "numbers" tell you. Its definitely the most fun bike I've owned in a long time too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Deleted
    Last edited by chasejj; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:35 PM.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    do you moto as well?
    Pavement moto, yes. Dirt moto, have done a number of times but do not own one at the moment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Here's my Pistola after a few minor changes (the DHF 2.5 up front is incredible), and a giant geographical change from dusty, rocky Southern California to rooty, wet eastern Tennessee. This bike worked amazing on long, technical rock garden descents and now has been killing it on groomed flow single track and jump lines.

As it is the bike is a little over-gunned with the super deluxe coil, but I know it will be great for trips to pisgah. If finances permitted I'd like the super deluxe air to keep for riding around knoxville.

Overall, the bike remains the best I've ever owned. Other than a random creak that showed up, I've had no issues whatsoever. Only smiles.
    Last edited by Fluidworks; 08-20-2017 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member

Oh my, that looks like the perfect combo. Can't wait.

WillWorkForTrail

Here's my Pistola after a few minor changes, and a giant geographical change from dusty, rocky Southern California to rooty, wet eastern Tennessee. This bike worked amazing on long, technical rock garden descents and now has been killing it on groomed flow single track and jump lines.

As it is the bike is a little over-gunned with the super deluxe coil, but I know it will be great for trips to pisgah. If finances permitted I'd like the super deluxe air to keep for riding around knoxville.

Overall, the bike remains the best I've ever owned. Other than a random creak that showed up, I've had no issues whatsoever. Only smiles.
    Hmm. You ever make it to the Nashville area to ride? If you do, shoot me a message if you don't mind - I'd love to throw a leg over one of these things. I'll trade couple minutes on your pistol for a nickel tour of one of our trail systems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Hmm. You ever make it to the Nashville area to ride? If you do, shoot me a message if you don't mind - I'd love to throw a leg over one of these things. I'll trade couple minutes on your pistol for a nickel tour of one of our trail systems.
    Just moved to TN, haven't been to Nashville yet. When I do I'll send you a message so you can ride the Pistol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Where at in TN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Knoxville

mtbr member
    Sounds like we need to get a North GA/South TN GG Camping Weekend together.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Sounds like we need to get a North GA/South TN GG Camping Weekend together.
    That's a good idea. Don't hold your breath yet, but that will go into the idea bucket.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008

Here's my Pistola after a few minor changes (the DHF 2.5 up front is incredible), and a giant geographical change from dusty, rocky Southern California to rooty, wet eastern Tennessee. This bike worked amazing on long, technical rock garden descents and now has been killing it on groomed flow single track and jump lines.

You probably figured this out already, but pro tip for everybody:
    If you get a frame creak, it's likely time to adjust the pivot axles through the main pivot and rocker pivot. Those ride on angular contact bearings, so as any wear happens, or things work themselves loose, loosen the pinch bolts, re tighten the pivot axles to pre load the angular contact bearings, re tighten the pinch bolts. Using angular contact bearings with the pivot axle system makes it possible to adjust out any wear in the system to keep it solid over the long haul.
    Recently, the torque spec on the pinch bolts has been increased as we figured out that it has a noticeable effect on resistance to pivot axles loosening, and you can go as high as 15Nm on those pinch bolts without any issues. Both of our engineering interns are superstars, and one of them made a graph of resistance to pivot axle loosening vs pinch bolt torque.

That whole process will be going into the owner's manuals soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Recently, the torque spec on the pinch bolts has been increased as we figured out that it has a noticeable effect on resistance to pivot axles loosening, and you can go as high as 15Nm on those pinch bolts without any issues. Both of our engineering interns are superstars, and one of them made a graph of resistance to pivot axle loosening vs pinch bolt torque.

That's good to know - can I ask a favor - that you notify us when new versions of the owner's manual become available?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the tip Matt, I'll tighten the pinch bolts down. My bearings are fine right now, but in the future, can we get replacements from you guys?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You probably figured this out already, but pro tip for everybody:
    If you get a frame creak, it's likely time to adjust the pivot axles through the main pivot and rocker pivot. Those ride on angular contact bearings, so as any wear happens, or things work themselves loose, loosen the pinch bolts, re tighten the pivot axles to pre load the angular contact bearings, re tighten the pinch bolts. Using angular contact bearings with the pivot axle system makes it possible to adjust out any wear in the system to keep it solid over the long haul.

How much torque should we put to retighten the angular contact bearings. I just re-torqued my frame but wasn't sure how much elbow grease to put on those. Also I seem to have a bit of wiggle in the rear that I can't track down. Went through every bolt and brought them back to spec, but nothing was that far off and didn't seem to help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Sure, I will mention when the additional info is added in the owner's manual.

Bearings can be purchased from GG.

Torque spec on the pivot axles: tighten to remove freeplay, but not so much that the suspension has noticeable resistance to movement.

meatier showers
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. Got both kinda wheels/tires. Wanna try 29x2.6 on my TP, haven't had a chance to yet.
    =s
    I wrote the words above about 3 months ago. A couple weeks ago I installed a set of Nobby Nic 2.6 Addix Blue tires -- I'm diggin' 'em. But there's room for more... I'm wondering if 2.8" tires will fit.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Ultimate Trail Weapon

After riding the MT exclusively for the last few months and doing a gravity ride trip I have jumped back onto the TP.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-11.jpg

How good is this TP. Okay my riding might have improved after the trip, but the first ride back and I set some PRs just to say welcome back to this little trail shredder and some high rolling fun.

The TP compels you to pedal and keep clicking up a gear, it can really eat some miles. It is so efficient on the pedal. Seated and standing/sprinting. It's all go and then when the trail turns down, get low, get aggressive and the TP is a very strong rally weapon. I'm really enjoying doing flick turns and carrying ridiculous speed. It is very manoeuvrable. Hitting some jumps and drops and it feels strong and solid and has that GG heritage shining through, just like a MT (in nature).

As I said in the MT thread, the best thing is the similarity of cockpit and nature. Feels at home and wants to go hard. Jumping between the two is very intuitive.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-mt.jpg

Truly the best bike pairing you can have, thank you GG.

I love what I see in the Smash to, technically I have 4 bikes here already and I intend to try all 4 (Shredd Dog and Pistola conversions are on my test list).

GG = too much fun. Can't be legal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone looking to do a shock trade? Looking to get the 210x55 super deluxe air for my super deluxe coil.

meatier showers
    Anyone looking to do a shock trade? Looking to get the 210x55 super deluxe air for my super deluxe coil.
    My TP is fitted with the SD Air and I don't think I'm interested in swapping but I'm curious what you think of the coil and why you want to swap. Because I am curious about the coil -- haven't ridden one.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The coil really unleashes the bike into a much more capable DH machine in my opinion. For living in SoCal with loooooooooong steep and rocky descents it was incredible. Never fatigued, got stuck up, and the traction over braking bumps was incredible.

Now that I live in Tennessee I'm riding a lot of up and down smooth flow and very tight twisty single track. There aren't as many nearby opportunities for long steep descents, so I'd like to save a pound off the bike and switch back to the SD.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    The Trail Pistol, it's game for riding all day. On Saturday, two of us rode Trail Pistols for the Monarch Mind Bender:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1153909718

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-img_2656.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That is a ridiculous ride! I agree that the TP is G2G for an all-day epic, but this is more like a 3-day epic!

meatier showers
    The Trail Pistol, it's game for riding all day. On Saturday, two of us rode Trail Pistols for the Monarch Mind Bender:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1153909718
    Sick!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    FWIW- Seems everyone including me is very open to run a longer travel fork on this bike and for the last couple of months I have been running a 160mm 36 RC2.
    I did this while GG had backordered a 140mm airshaft for my 2018 Fox 36 fork.
    Bike handled well, but on flat higher speed corners the front wheel felt like it was hunting for traction a bit and I had to get way over it to get it to grab.
    Climbs went well but had a little front wheel flop in both Crush and Plush modes. Plush mode helped as it jacks up the rear a little and steepens the front HTA.
    So I finally received my 140 airshaft and installed it and took it for a ride.
    Everything I mentioned above went away. GG is right on the money with their suggestions and do not be tempted to overfork this bike. It throws the balance off of the chassis and it was pretty damn good even with the 160. But 140 is the magic travel on my 130mm TP.

meatier showers
    FWIW- Seems everyone including me is very open to run a longer travel fork on this bike and for the last couple of months I have been running a 160mm 36 RC2.
    I did this while GG had backordered a 140mm airshaft for my 2018 Fox 36 fork.
    Bike handled well, but on flat higher speed corners the front wheel felt like it was hunting for traction a bit and I had to get way over it to get it to grab.
    Climbs went well but had a little front wheel flop in both Crush and Plush modes. Plush mode helped as it jacks up the rear a little and steepens the front HTA.
    So I finally received my 140 airshaft and installed it and took it for a ride.
    Everything I mentioned above went away. GG is right on the money with their suggestions and do not be tempted to overfork this bike. It throws the balance off of the chassis and it was pretty damn good even with the 160. But 140 is the magic travel on my 130mm TP.
    I believe you're right on. I'm running a 160mm fork as well so I installed a +1į AngleSet to keep the fork from slacking the front end too much. After several months of epic riding, I couldn't be happier with the way this bike handles. Um... could I?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mdc
    mtbr member
    Latest version of my TP. Added an 11-6 (130mm travel), and a Fox 36 ( 150mm). Perfecto. Set a bunch of PR's riding park today, even though Ive been out of commission with a broken foot for the past month. Couldn't be happier!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-fullsizeoutput_b96.jpg  

meatier showers
    Latest version of my TP. Added an 11-6 (130mm travel), and a Fox 36 ( 150mm). Perfecto. Set a bunch of PR's riding park today, even though Ive been out of commission with a broken foot for the past month. Couldn't be happier!
    Bike looks awesome. Which saddle is that?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mdc
    mtbr member
    Bike looks awesome. Which saddle is that?
    =sParty
    Its a Specialized Body Geo. something or other. Im probably going to swap it out. Its super comfy, but when riding steep stuff the thin side profile starts to kinda cut into the side of my leg when I'm way back over the rear tire...

Sim
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sparticus, Do you have a photo of your bike you could post? I'm 6'2' with a 36" inseam and I have been stalking your thread posts.(I'm married, don't worry!) You seem to have a similar inseam measurement, I'm one twitch away from ordering a Trail Pistol in large.
    Thanks in advance.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    Sparticus, Do you have a photo of your bike you could post? I'm 6'2' with a 36" inseam and I have been stalking your thread posts.(I'm married, don't worry!) You seem to have a similar inseam measurement, I'm one twitch away from ordering a Trail Pistol in large.
    Thanks in advance.
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-battleship-090517.jpg
    We're the same size. At least height and inseam. Not sure about wingspan. (I don't know what mine is but I know I have long arms.)

I'm absolutely happy with my large Trail Pistol. That said, I have a nagging question in my mind that I might have been better off with an XL. I'll explain.

I run 185mm cranks. I just like 'em. That's one reason my saddle is jammed all the way forward. And this bike's SA is already steep. I've got 60mm worth of spacers under that stem. The stem is 65mm long. FWIW those are 29x2.6" Nobby Nics on there. The photo is misleading inasmuch as the saddle and handlebars are exactly the same distance from the ground (45").

An XL has about an inch longer top tube (I believe). This means I would be running about a 40mm stem on an XL, which I think is about right. And the XL has a longer head tube which means fewer spacers under the stem.

Yes, the wheelbase would be EVEN longer on an XL but the length of this bike doesn't bother me at all. I negotiate tight switchbacks all the time -- up or down -- without even thinking about it. I'd be fine on an even longer bike.

If I had it to do over again, yeah, I'd buy the XL. But keep in mind what I said previously -- I'm delighted with the bike as it is. Really. Guess I'm not helping much, am I. Sorry. But all kidding aside, I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

Good luck.
    =sParty

P.S. Laugh all you want at my bar ends. But not until after you catch up.
    disciplesofdirt.org

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast