Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Looks great, can't wait to see moar build photos

Frame is 6.5lbs with no shock right? That seems light to me, it's a shock away from the Following weight (6.5 with shock).

Also fwiw, my 1200mm WB Spitfire shreds in Pisgah and has no problems with switchbacks. I bet this thing will fly.
    Yep, that's the frame weight sans shock.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    You can make the spacers out of ski base/ ptex if needed. You just cut the width and length to fit inside the air can. I've been doing this for 8 years or so now.
    Yep, I've also used grease for the same purpose before. But, as an included tuning part with the frame, I'm shooting for a little more polished of a part

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I placed my order for a Large Trail Pistol last week. I've decided to go with the RC3 option for the rear shock, and a 130mm Fox (I wanted Boost, but also wanted to get in line for a bike ASAP). I'm assuming that this bike will handle quite a bit of terrain for 'only' having 120mm.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by benitosbro View Post
    I placed my order for a Large Trail Pistol last week. I've decided to go with the RC3 option for the rear shock, and a 130mm Fox (I wanted Boost, but also wanted to get in line for a bike ASAP). I'm assuming that this bike will handle quite a bit of terrain for 'only' having 120mm.
    Sweet! You'll want the extra air volume spacer in the shock, and run 27% sag, measured in the seated climbing position, which definitely makes it more capable than you'd think for 120mm of rear travel, as you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have spacers in the garage for just such an occasion. And once Push finishes their work, I'll have a used RC3 for sale.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    I'm going with the XL, so I'll have to be patient. 130 Pike and Super Deluxe, XT drivetrain. Thinking F yeah blue, but I like all the other colors as well....

Also, I put down a 35mm stem for mine thinking that with the extra reach, I wouldn't need/want a 50mm stem.........Sound logic or stick with the 50mm?
    Last edited by azfishman; 08-08-2016 at 07:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Whoa! I've been away from the forum for awhile, I come back and see this!

This bike seems like it is exactly what I'd want if I were building one. A long and slack 29er with short chainstays and not too much travel. This is exactly what I would like and is now at the top of my wanted bikes list.

I was so close to buying a Megatrail, but decided I didn't need all the travel. This bike checks all the boxes. And I love the look of it. That top tube with the low standover is sexy. And there is a complete build around $3000. That's something I can actually afford.

It sucks though. I would start saving to place an order now, but I got a good deal on a 2015 Process 111. I got it in XL for the long reach. The two bikes are probably too similar to switch now. That blows because I would like to support the small guy and buy an American made frame. The Trail Pistol still sits atop my most wanted bikes list.

mtbr member

Guerrilla Gravity Tail Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Pics? Sounds like problem solving at its finest !

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Sorry Dusty I can't put my hands on any of the ones I've made to photograph. I used them for older Fox RP23 large air cans to make a more progressive spring curve with those. I did find my notes on them. I cut them out of 1.2mm thick ptex ski base (easy to find), for the inside fit to the outer air can they were 137.5mm and I cut them 15-22mm wide in 2mm increments. This way I could try a few and see what worked best.

Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Yep, I've also used grease for the same purpose before. But, as an included tuning part with the frame, I'm shooting for a little more polished of a part
    Grease wouldn't be a great choice as it might plug the transfer port. See my notes above. I fitted them tight inside the outer air can so they did not move but just took up space. They were kind of polished and if you had room around the shock you did I not even have to remove a shock bolt to install them.

May 2010
    I can only assume that you folks on Larges/Meds/Smalls are out riding your TP's and thus too busy to post up on them......Anyone have one yet?

Patiently ( kinda ) waiting in AZ.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just set up a basic 27+ wheelset, so I can offer both sizes to anyone that wants to ride this bike (once I finally have it in my hands), and used WTB 3" tires; I see that the Guerilla Gravity website recommends 27+ x3", any input on how it handles some of the sportier 2.8" tires, like a Rekon+ or Schwalbe?

Chris Bling
    Just set up a basic 27+ wheelset, so I can offer both sizes to anyone that wants to ride this bike (once I finally have it in my hands), and used WTB 3" tires; I see that the Guerilla Gravity website recommends 27+ x3", any input on how it handles some of the sportier 2.8" tires, like a Rekon+ or Schwalbe?
    Personally, I think 2.8 tires are the perfect balance for an aggressive mountain bike. If you are riding 3.0 tires, you might ad well get on your fat bike!

The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Personally, I think 2.8 tires are the perfect balance for an aggressive mountain bike. If you are riding 3.0 tires, you might ad well get on your fat bike!

I think it also depends on what terrain, and how you ride. I've experimented with both, and absolutely destroyed a pair of 2.8" Nobby Nics within two rides. My 3" Bridger/Trail Boss combo has held up a little better (no punctures), but doesn't give the same feedback to the bar when carving turns. I do ride a lot of rocky, and loose rocky singletrack over clay here in KY. I have ordered some Rekon +'s to test out as well.

Ugh, trust me- 3" 27+ is still miles away from a full fat tire here.
    Last edited by benitosbro; 08-22-2016 at 07:11 AM. Reason: crappy spelling

Chris Bling
    I think it also depends on what terrain, and how you ride. I've experimented with both, and absolutely destroyed a pair of 2.8" Nobby Nics within two rides. My 3" Bridger/Trail Boss combo has held up a little better (no punctures), but doesn't give the same feedback to the bar when carving turns. I do ride a lot of rocky, and loose rocky singletrack over clay here in KY. I have ordered some Rekon +'s to test out as well.

Ugh, trust me- 3" 27+ is still miles away from a full fat tire here.
    NN tires compared against the Bridger is not even a fair fight!

What did you expect with paper thin side walls of the NN? It's why the Bridger weighs several hundred more grams per tire!

WTB tires are awesome and have beefy sidewalls. If you had a 2.8 with comparable sidewalls you would probably have a different opinion.

Not saying 3.0 tires are not good, you just compared a good 3.0 against a not so good 2.8

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    NN tires compared against the Bridger is not even a fair fight!

What did you expect with paper thin side walls of the NN? It's why the Bridger weighs several hundred more grams per tire!

WTB tires are awesome and have beefy sidewalls. If you had a 2.8 with comparable sidewalls you would probably have a different opinion.

Not saying 3.0 tires are not good, you just compared a good 3.0 against a not so good 2.8

I ordered the 2.8" Rekon + with a 60 tpi casing, just for the hope of some durability- We shall see once I have the new bike to set them up on.

Chris Bling
    I ordered the 2.8" Rekon + with a 60 tpi casing, just for the hope of some durability- We shall see once I have the new bike to set them up on.
    Rekons look to be a killer tire. Looking forward to getting a set myself

Affordable Custom Wheels

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Here's a review from a customer, for those wondering: Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    After riding my trail pistol for the last few weeks - some more insight on the sizing...

I chose to size down (from medium to a small) for a couple reasons:
    -I'm 5'-10, but my wingspan is only 5'-7" and I have a 32" inseam so a short torso as well
    -I prefer to size my bikes based on they feel standing, not sitting
    -I wanted it to be a trail bike as I'll have another enduro bike next year, so shorter wheel base and quicker than my MT
    -I talked with Matt before I bought and gave him my BB to saddle measurement (30") and he came back with the effective TT measurement and I new I could slide the seat back in the rails enough to get my ideal butt to hands measurement
    -With a 16.5" seat tube and 150mm dropper there is no problem getting the height
    -I'm ****ty at manually so I need all the help I can get.

That said, I rode Matts medium as well and it felt awesome. It rode more like my MT. You had to ride more aggressively, over the front and it definitely felt more stable at speed - like the MT did. I had to try harder to get the front wheel up but with the 16.9" CS it was still easier than the MT... Can't go wrong either way - just ride both sizes and figure out what you want to use it for...
    -

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc383 View Post
    Any chance that bottle will still fit in the front triangle with the super deluxe reservoir? Hard to tell if it would fit with the reservoir facing down, or if it would need to be mounted backwards.
    I run a Large frame with the Super Deluxe, and space is not a concern.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-pce3.jpgI think my ride is just about dialed- should be dealt with this weekend. If anyone in Central Kentucky is interested in checking these out, I have a Large Trail Pistol running around the hills.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    A Super Deluxe and water bottle fit on the size medium as well, same as pictured above. The small size also fits the Super Deluxe and bottle, but the cage is under the top tube, vs on top of the downtube. rudeboybl has a small with Super Deluxe and water bottle.

Here's a pic from the owner's manual, of a size medium:
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-trail-pistol-medium-sdlx-water-bottle.jpg

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Where in KY? Any chance you're doing the Brown county Epic?

try anything on a bike
    Looking for opinions on sizing.

I am 5'10". 30 inch inseam and 6ft wingspan.

So longer arms but short legs.

I'm thinking medium but am not sure if I should go small instead. Advice appreciated.
    The most freeride like fat bike I could make with available parts...

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_biker View Post
    Looking for opinions on sizing.

I am 5'10". 30 inch inseam and 6ft wingspan.

So longer arms but short legs.

I'm thinking medium but am not sure if I should go small instead. Advice appreciated.
    I am 5'8" with a 6'4" wingspan and yhe medium is perfect for seated climbing for me. With the extra length, it's harder to get the front end up.

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT View Post
    Where in KY? Any chance you're doing the Brown county Epic?
    I'm based out of Lexington, so within driving distance, but won't be able to make it this year.

try anything on a bike
    Ps. We need some owners to post up riding videos asap.

Chris Bling
    Ps. We need some owners to post up riding videos asap.
    How about a pic

Affordable Custom Wheels

try anything on a bike
    How about a pic

That's good too.

How is it on tight, twisty, wooded trails? How about on flowy machine built trails with smooth berms?

Chris Bling
    That's good too.

How is it on tight, twisty, wooded trails? How about on flowy machine built trails with smooth berms?
    The thing is a speed demon. I don't really notice the extra length in the switchbacks, but I do notice it when trying to get the front end up, even with a 140mm fork.

On straight flowy trails, it's super stable and like a rocket. It's just quite a but harder to manual than my Riot.

Affordable Custom Wheels

try anything on a bike
    The thing is a speed demon. I don't really notice the extra length in the switchbacks, but I do notice it when trying to get the front end up, even with a 140mm fork.

On straight flowy trails, it's super stable and like a rocket. It's just quite a but harder to manual than my Riot.

That's why I am leaning towards a small.

mdc
    mtbr member
    So I am HEAVILY leaning towards a TP for my 2017 ride, but living in New England they are rare to say the less! Luckily one of my buddies goes to college in Fort Collins, knows someone who works at GG, and has set up a demo for the first week of Oct.! He is an XC monster, racing collegiate XC, competing ( and doing VERY well) in the NUE series, and also races enduro. He is going to have the bike for a week, and will forward me a review once he's done thrashing it. Im looking forward to his feedback, and will try and post up some highlights/ lowlights when I hear back form him.

Cheers!

Mike

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    How about a pic

You must spread reputation before giving it to dustyduke again.

Awesome pic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

A great trail bike, and yet more

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-2.jpg

First of all thank you to Thomas and Matt at GG for getting a bike out to Aus so quickly. It is so good to be finally riding a GG.

Some basic facts for those considering and weighing the dimensions etc. I am 5' 11.5" and I followed the guide and went for a M frame.
    My personal preference is for a TT in the range of 635mm to 645mm. The M has a TT of 617mm and I was a little concerned that this was going to be too small for me. I had recently ridden a new SC 5010 in L with a TT of 621. This didn't work for me and I could feel it overworking my back muscles.

There is more to measure here though.

The trick is in the reach. The SC has a reach of 445 and this TP has a reach of 465mm - which is longer than the reach on my v1 XL Bronson as well.

After today's first ride, the boys at GG were right, the reach is critical and I can say it worked for me just fine. Short TT fears allayed.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-1.jpg

Onto the ride. The bike was silent and had a firm solid feel on the track. It has an assured feel and a quality to the ride. It is a weighty bike (imo), but you can feel why this is so, this is a bike with purpose.

I may have out-there tastes, I was an early adopter of the Mondraker geo and recently I had considered a Pole bike, then the boys at GG brought out this TP with a decent SA (75.8°).

I can say I am a total fan of the steeper seat angle. Props to GG for stepping the mtb industry forward.

The way to run a slack head angle is to marry it with the right SA. They have nailed it.

The manners for sit down riding is an eye opener. The TP feels like a Yeti ARC (I recently rode), in that it feels a little bit ( I exaggerate as a highlight) XC in manner - or should I say, ride delivery. You can really click up the gears and dart through the woods. It's fun.

Perhaps it is fun because you know what you are packing underneath this XC cloaking device.

Drop the seat post and start to head down, and hey presto, that slack head angle has been waiting there for you all this time, ready for you to bring home the Enduro bacon.

This is a real Jekyll and Hyde bike. Very good trail manner and totally rude and rowdy when you get after it.

GG have made one of the better Trail bikes out there. Eats miles, eats flat and undulating trails. All happily done, not boring but engaging because you can work it. Better get your bibs on.

Tomorrow I will head up into some steeper terrain and I will try out some more tech climbs and some bigger downs.

For now I can say that this bike and I are going to get on real well.

Back to geo, particularly reach, front of centre and your ride position on the bike - the amount of weight you can force into the front wheel is prodigious. The amount of front grip generated is insane, you can totally swing off the bars like a maniac. It's a lot of fun and my bike is aptly named as "rail".

You can really get "in" to the bike and fly.

Working series of turns, initially I was running wide on the 2nd or third turn, having run 27.5s recently I could feel a little 29er wheel hoop action. But, the magic is in the inherent grip this bike has. All you have to do is wrestle the bull a little harder and this thing is easily forced through tighter turn series and for that effort you are truly rewarded, it does exit faster presenting you with a whole new list of problems in front of you.

After 10kms I couldn't tell if I was on a 29er anymore (other than sustaining a higher rolling speed), with every passing km, I was becoming more nimble on the bike.

A seriously fun bike. My build is portly, so bunny hopping logs or rocks on the flat isn't as easy as a 27.5 - no niner is really good at that. However, hitting ramps on doubles etc and the TP has really good pop. Launches and lands nicely.

With such a taunt frame and great geo this bike has a very commanding presence. Very composed and very deliberate in its stance. And the stance is ATTACK!

This shake down ride only tested flow tracks, small jumps and mild chunk. Tomorrow I will show him something bigger....

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-3.jpg

Thanks GG, you have hit another bike out of the park.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review William. Looking forward to your thoughts after today's ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Williamk, I see you got a bit cheeky with your decals. And thanks for the review!

May 2010
    Great review, lots of good info....
    Does anyone use a frame bag to keep a tube etc in. I thought I saw somewhere that they made a specific one for the Megatrail. I was just gonna get a small nylon bag for the TP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think most people are using the NUTS system on the seat tube to keep a tube and tools.

May 2010
    Yeah, I plan on using the location, but strap a small bag to keep the stuff clean and out of the sun. If I left a tube exposed on my bike in the desert, it would be dust in a few months.

Chris Bling

Riot or TP?

Hey Folks,

After many requests, here are my thoughts between the Riot and the TP.

Hope this helps you decide what is going to be better for you.

Canfield Riot vs GG Trail Pistol
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey Dusty great write up thanks.

I considered the Riot at one stage to. However the old school seat tube and TT had me held back, I did like the rest of the package on offer though, very capable.
    W

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No worries Kragu. As expected the TP climbed the steep stuff really well. That SA is just awesome and helps to make the TP a more complete package.

The downs were great, very composed through all of the goodness - jumps, drops, berms, step ups etc. The TP has great balance allowing me to be up to speed with my mates right out of the box. Of course over the next few rides, as with any new bike, there are a lot of nuances to learn and work with to milk even more speed out of it. The potential I feel and see has me excited.

Yesterday I went to a local training track area with the kids. There are table tops and little berms and a couple of flow tracks. Good for dirt jump bikes and the like. The kids had fun on there bikes and I was really surprised about how well the TP ripped around on this small stuff - almost forgot I was there for the kids riding and not mine. I was out there doing the tables and being adventurous in the berms.

It is a surprisingly nimble bike.

Even though for some it is a longer wheelbase, the sum of the geo it has endows it with a greater capability than you might expect.

I don't have any negatives from working tight woods stuff. It is a half inch longer than my last bike, it has 29inch wheels instead of 27.5 inch, and yet, it is much much better when the going gets tight.

W

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I raced my Trail Pistol in the Monarch Crest Enduro this past weekend. Much fun was had.

Fall Aspens never get old
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-mce-poncha-creek-road-climb.jpg

Near the top of a 3000' climb transfer:
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-mce-canyon-creek-hike-bike.jpg

The top of Canyon Creek at 12,500':
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-mce-canyon-creek-cant-breathe-up-here-aka-bacon-station.jpg

Braap. Top of Fooses Creek
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-mce-top-fooses.jpg

Fooses Creek dirt surfing; this section is quite steep:
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-mce-fooses-dirt-surf.jpg

P1 on the Pistol:
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-mce-p1.jpg

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Yeah, I plan on using the location, but strap a small bag to keep the stuff clean and out of the sun. If I left a tube exposed on my bike in the desert, it would be dust in a few months.
    Call JPaks, he's expressed interest in making a "NUTS sack"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Outshines

I am finding that the TP simply outshines the other bikes I have ridden.

With highly sorted handling, it is a joy to ride, almost spiritual, a zen bike.....

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-10.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Pictures say a thousand words

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-gg.jpg

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-fast.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Some more colours guys?

There must some more colours out there, show us your TPs.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-6.jpg

I have to say the colour of this bike is growing on me. In different light the colour of the frame changes. Sometimes the colour shade of the frame is a perfect match for the fork, other times it is lighter like the knobs and axle on the fork.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-9.jpg

The finish on this GG is outstanding. I have to go back a bit, but this has to be one of the best AL bike finishes I have had. It's been dirty a couple of times now and there's nothing like washing a bike to appreciate the build quality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Follow up rides

I have done a few more kms on the TP and certainly have done some more climbing.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-sun.jpg

I am still very happy with the bike and thoroughly enjoying exploring its limits and my limits on it.

I can reiterate that it is super capable.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-8.jpg

I have hit some of my favourite tracks, a couple are bomb down and push up. Small to moderate drops and jumps are all good. It actually flies really well. As a measure, not of me but the bike, I've hit a few trail/enduro bike gaps, the biggest being 4m and we did it easily.

Technical climbing is great. I have gone further up challenging tracks than before and with greater comfort due to control. Steady gradients that are strewn with roots and ruts are great. The TP is particularly good at picking your way through these sorts of obstacles, confident maneuverability facilitated by the steep SA.

The TP's SA puts you in the command seat. This lets you get on with the pedals even change up a gear and storm up the tech. Pretty impressive.

But I prefer charging down and the TP loves to be let loose.
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-tp-7.jpg
    It's fast.

mdc
    mtbr member
    William- curious as to what your previous bikes were, and how the TP compares? Also how do you like the long ( for a short travel 29er)wheelbase? any issues with tight trails, switchbacks etc?

Sick build by the way, one of the nicest I've seen in a while!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for your kind words mdc. I'm loving the richness of the finish myself - while I can that is. Inevitably I will obtain some scratches and knocks from my occasional unauthorised excursions into the bush - hopefully all will be with wheels down but most mtb manufacturers don't offer that guarantee, bastages.

Well that question can unleash a long dissertation. I have a 29er SS and had others, I did try 29ers in Pivot, Tallboys, Yeti ARC and SB95 - last generation. But I haven't tried the new Pivot, Yeti or the new Santa Cruz. I have ridden the new 5010, Bronson and Nomad and the SB5 and 6. So I have only ridden new gen 27.5s. I was looking at 29ers with progressive geo. The mainstays are making incremental progression. I liked GGs bravery, it does pay off imo.

For my bigger travel bikes I usually size up, however I was looking for a trail bike for bigger miles, so this is fine for me WB wise. Therefore as a small caveat I am use to longer bikes, so I am probably not the best person to ask as my riding style might be different.

Having said that I am thoroughly enjoying working tight trails, it is deceptively good at it. Sometimes I have to wonder if it is a 29er. I have tried to work out why and I think it just has such good inherent balance, it has great poise. Attacking tight stuff is just part of its capability set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Having said that I am thoroughly enjoying working tight trails, it is deceptively good at it. Sometimes I have to wonder if it is a 29er. I have tried to work out why and I think it just has such good inherent balance, it has great poise. Attacking tight stuff is just part of its capability set.
    Good. I'm almost ready to start ordering the parts for mine ! I'll demo it first anyway (I live a couple of minutes away from GG). But it seems like a good compromise.

I'm currently riding a Megatrail, but it is slightly too big for my riding. And I'm leaning toward longer rides and backcountry adventures ! The TP sounds awesome for that, and it probably can handle rough stuffs when it has to ! It's still a GG !
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

I like bikes, I really do.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    Good. I'm almost ready to start ordering the parts for mine ! I'll demo it first anyway (I live a couple of minutes away from GG). But it seems like a good compromise.

I'm currently riding a Megatrail, but it is slightly too big for my riding. And I'm leaning toward longer rides and backcountry adventures ! The TP sounds awesome for that, and it probably can handle rough stuffs when it has to ! It's still a GG !
    I approve the longer backcountry rides idea. Next season, you're coming along for this one: https://www.strava.com/activities/700971947

mtbr member
    Looking forward to trying a TP out ASAP, definitely looks like a bike that could really take over where my SB95c left off...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Subscribed!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Singletracks.com released a review

"I could not believe the speed it kept through rough and rocky sections that are usually reserved for longer-travel bikes, like the Enchanted Forest and Apex trail, but this bike was faster than any bike I’ve ever ridden through that section. Faster than the Nomad. Faster than the Bronson. Faster than the Mach 6. Faster even than the Megatrail. That is impressive."

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Review | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For people that received your TP recently, how long did it take you from ordering to receiving it?

mdc
    mtbr member
    I ordered mine about 4-5 weeks back, and should have it next week. I did make a few changes ( Like changing the rear shock from a 120mm to 130. GG was waiting for the 130's to arrive from SRAM which added probably a week.) I would expect under normal circumstances it would take around 4 weeks or so...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Ordered September 4 received November 17.

mdc
    mtbr member
    As a follow up -I just got an email that my TP is shipping tomorrow! F- YA! I'm really looking forward to comparing the TP to my 2015 Trek Remedy 9.8 29er, and also my old Ibis Ripley. Ibis has awesome customer service, but GG is as good or better. Not for nothing but Thomas at GG literally met up with a friend of mine at Angel Fire so my buddy could demo the TP and give me his opinion! I highly doubt many other bike co's. would do that! I will definitely be posting an "East Coaster" review once I get a few rides in....

Cheers

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey Matt, do you have a preference on Fork? Originally I wanted the Ribbon but Thomas said they're pushed back to Q1 next year so I'm down to Pike vs Fox 34. He also said you guys are out of 140 Pike's so I'd have to get the 130 and swap the shaft if I went that route. Just trying to decide if the Fox is worth the price difference.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Hey Matt, do you have a preference on Fork? Originally I wanted the Ribbon but Thomas said they're pushed back to Q1 next year so I'm down to Pike vs Fox 34. He also said you guys are out of 140 Pike's so I'd have to get the 130 and swap the shaft if I went that route. Just trying to decide if the Fox is worth the price difference.
    I don't have any trail time on the Fox 34, but the Pike is awesome. Even at 130 travel, it is very capable. Put an extra bottomless token in it, and it will take big hits and still have great small bump compliance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks Matt. So for I'm about 50/50 for recommendations from everyone I asked.

May 2010
    Question for Trail Pistol owners.....I have about month on mine and enough rides to start to get a feel for the new bike.....Mine is set up with a 140 Pike and the Super Deluxe. I have a Megatrail which I absolutely love, but wonder if the Pistol could do the odd bike park laps? I hit Montana and southern BC in the summer and usually do 3-4 days at the park. The MT hasn't seen much time since the new kid showed up. Thoughts?

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    This is definitely my next bike.... mid 2017 purchase I believe.
    So, in keeping with small manufacturer support, (& Colorado at that!) I'm thinking of an MRP Stage for it.
    Maybe I missed it as I was interrupted a few times reading this whole thread start to finish, but is anyone running one? I have plenty of experience with Pike as I have one at 140 on my Chromag Rootdown.
    Thanks!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster View Post
    This is definitely my next bike.... mid 2017 purchase I believe.
    So, in keeping with small manufacturer support, (& Colorado at that!) I'm thinking of an MRP Stage for it.
    Maybe I missed it as I was interrupted a few times reading this whole thread start to finish, but is anyone running one? I have plenty of experience with Pike as I have one at 140 on my Chromag Rootdown.
    Thanks!
    I run an MRP Stage fork on my bikes. Awesome fork. Super plush and very nice having the ramp control knob. If you aren't buying the trail pistol until 2017 I would also wait and get the MRP Ribbon. It's an updated Stage with boost spacing and some new features.
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/mrp-ribbo...bike-2016.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdc
    mtbr member
    When I ordered my GGTP I spoke with Noah at MRP. The 2017 Stage is going to have updated internals similar to the Ribbon. I think the difference is the Ribbon is Boost and the Stage is not. Also note that you can buy the internal upgrade for the Stage if you want.

FWIW- I'm really happy with my Stage. Easy to set up, feels super plush out of the box and is at least as stiff feeling as my Pike ( maybe a bit more). I also love the dact that you can call the company ask them questions and I real live human picks up the phone.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    JUST GOT MINE. Building later today, can't wait to see its glory.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Forgive the editing, I'm typing on my phone while sitting in an uber.

Finally got my first ride in today after the bike had been sitting while I had been working the last few days.

COMPANY

I would like to thank Thomas, Matt and Will at GG. The customer service is the best I have ever dealt with, bike industry notwithstanding. Super accommodating to my build (ride 2 with some additions and subtractions). Thomas in particular was very patient with my second guessing fork and shock choice.

BUILD.

Ride 2 with upgrades
    -Pike RC 130
    -Deluxe RT3 shock
    -Custom DT Swiss wheels with 30mm inner width rims

I used my previous cockpit setup (40mm stem and atlas 800 width handlebar). For stopping I have Zee brakes with XT ice tech rotors (203f/180r).

The frame is gorgeous; fat welds, clean lines and curves. Logos aren't overboard, and I'm a sucker for understated bikes so raw was my natural choice (purple accents are slowly coming). I also can't believe how light it is. It felt marginally heavier than my friends Nomad C frame, even though it was several thousand dollars less.

RIDE.

After a rare SoCal rain last night I spent the morning playing with sag and rebound before taking off. I still need to work on it more, but right now I'm close to 27% as per GGs advice. Still haven't dialed rebound yet.

First impressions were that the light frame is easy to get moving. I did my favorite nearby trail which involves a 4 mile single track/ fire road climb. The rain had dislodged a lot of grapefruit sized boulders along with some pretty deep rain ruts. The front end was easy to keep planted seated, yet was no difficulty to lift up to hop over obstructions. The wide wheels and usual excellence of minion tires kept traction glued. No peel outs or skids. I am a reformed handrail rider, so standing climbs are my norm. There was no wallowing or squishy feeling when putting power down. I kept the shock in pedal mode and had no issues.

DOWN

This was what I had been looking forward too. I opened up the shock and fork, and dropped my seat. Due to balling on a budget, I'm using a rigid post until funds allow for a dropper. Much to my chagrin I found out that either the seat post is too long, or the bikes seat tube narrows, because I couldnt drop the seat anywhere near the clamp. At maximum insertion there was still 4" showing. This was a bummer as I always slam my seat al the way down when descending. However, I made due, and started my descent.

First impression here is that I could believe I was riding a bike with only 120mm of travel. It felt similar to my last bike (Kona process 153). I could launch off roots, use rocks as ramps, and generally fool around. I also tried taking intentionally bad lines to check suspension, again I still need to dial the rear, but I couldn't believe how capable it felt. I laughed out loud when I steamrolled a particularly nasty rock garden. The more I let on the gas the happier the bike seemed. Maybe due to the giant contact patch but even moving towards bigger speeds I never felt out of control. I disagree with other reviews that the bike feels long and the front wants to only stay planted. The rare rain offered plenty of system crossings and I found the bike could manual with no issue. Just a drop of the hips and it would lift. Even bunny hops were available.

SUMMARY

This bike made me feel like a damn hooligan. You will want to shred everything you ride, and your face will be sore from grinning.

Pics will be posted soon.

mtbr member
    Anyone using a Shimano boost crank on a TP? I haven't used anything but Shimano cranks and would hate to use anything else now that XT boost cranks are a hundy online. A 53mm boost crank on a 55mm chain line sounds about right to cure the 11 speed back pedaling issue if a 32t chain ring will clear the chain stay.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip D View Post
    Anyone using a Shimano boost crank on a TP? I haven't used anything but Shimano cranks and would hate to use anything else now that XT boost cranks are a hundy online. A 53mm boost crank on a 55mm chain line sounds about right to cure the 11 speed back pedaling issue if a 32t chain ring will clear the chain stay
    I'm going to look into this and find out.

Off hand, I can tell you we haven't seen any of the back pedaling chain drop when running configurations that we recommend. We've seen those in the past if the chainline is wider than recommended (eg boost chainring on a Megatrail), but not on the Trail Pistol (or Pedälhead) when running a 55mm chainline.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Ideal chainline for the Trail Pistol?

I'm going to look into this and find out.

Off hand, I can tell you we haven't seen any of the back pedaling chain drop when running configurations that we recommend. We've seen those in the past if the chainline is wider than recommended (eg boost chainring on a Megatrail), but not on the Trail Pistol (or Pedälhead) when running a 55mm chainline.
    I'm also interested in this. I've been bugging Thomas, but it's probably best to let you field this one. (By the way, please know that Thomas has provided the most patient customer service I have ever received ... in any industry ... ever.)

A double - let alone triple - crank has chainline issues far worse than 2 mm, so I'm thinking 2 mm should be fine. If noise and friction when pedaling and derailing when backpedaling occur only with the inner sprockets, while the outer sprockets are fine, this suggests the standard chainline is too far out.

Wolf Tooth has posted an article illustrating an "ideal" 49-50 mm chainline for Boost, which would be 52-53 mm for a Trail Pistol. SRAM's chainline recommendation probably accounts for chainstay clearance with a large chainring (36T? 38T??), which doesn't apply to most people, and tire clearance that may not apply to everyone. As long as we maintain adequate clearance between the tire and chain, is there any reason to not use a narrower chainline?

Matt, your thoughts?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I've looked into this quite a bit. With a chain/derailleur/cassette drive train, there's obvioulsy some cross chaining in every gear except one, and even that one might not be perfect. At the ends of the cassette, obviously lies the highest cross chaining. Recommended chain line is a balance of making the whole system operate well. Hence, there are always going to be multiple setups that work.
    Wolf Tooth's recommendation presumably stems from the idea that you spend more time in the larger cogs than smaller cogs, thus run a narrower chain line for less cross chaining in the larger cogs at the expense of the smaller ones.
    While that's perfectly understandable and probably works well, we recommend following the standard chain lines for two reasons: it works well, and Sram in particular is hesitant to extend warranty coverage when not following their specifications.

I'll pass along the props to Thomas. We're certainly grateful to have him!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I talked to our Shimano rep today, and confirmed their 1x boost chainline is 53.4mm. That should fit as is, amount of clearance and max chainring size is the next question. I will report back with more info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I talked to our Shimano rep today, and confirmed their 1x boost chainline is 53.4mm. That should fit as is, amount of clearance and max chainring size is the next question. I will report back with more info.
    This is why I like you guys. The bikes are pretty good, too

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    For what it's worth, I run Wolf Tooth's C.A.M.O. system setup to produce a 55mm chainline, and have never experienced any issues on my Trail Pistol. I even spoke with Wolftooth directly, and they were stoked to see they offered a product compatible to run on my Guerrilla Gravity. Can't say enough about the quality of the system, and the performance on my bike.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, the CAMO system is pretty slick.

We've been closed this week, hence no further update on the Shimano crank setup. I've been out riding!
    But, I'll be back in next week and figure out Shimano compatibility.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    How is the TP at 27.5 plus? I do realize this is the 29er forum, but I can't find much in terms of info on the TP w the plus set up. I just demoed a Mojo 3 and really liked the feel of that bike. It won me over to the plus side, and I wanted to hear how the Mojo 3 stacks up with the TP in plus/plush mode?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    We've been closed this week, hence no further update on the Shimano crank setup. I've been out riding!
    But, I'll be back in next week and figure out Shimano compatibility.
    Looking forward to the Shimano crank update, though I'm confident it will be fine. Also thinking about shock tune: is your standard tune on the SRAM shocks Medium-Medium? Since the leverage ratio is on the low side, what are your thoughts on a Low compression tune? I found the Devinci Hendrix (average ratio of 2.16:1) running a M-M tune on a Monarch felt like I'd left the lockout on, even with 12 psi in a 3" tire.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by R-M-R View Post
    Looking forward to the Shimano crank update, though I'm confident it will be fine. Also thinking about shock tune: is your standard tune on the SRAM shocks Medium-Medium? Since the leverage ratio is on the low side, what are your thoughts on a Low compression tune? I found the Devinci Hendrix (average ratio of 2.16:1) running a M-M tune on a Monarch felt like I'd left the lockout on, even with 12 psi in a 3" tire.
    Light rebound and compression tunes would work well for most riders, as you mentioned. Medium-medium has been the default for us, which also works well for most riders, unless you are really light or not aggressive. The good news with Rockshox is that they are relatively easy to change, should you want to switch from one to the other.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernSpy View Post
    How is the TP at 27.5 plus? I do realize this is the 29er forum, but I can't find much in terms of info on the TP w the plus set up. I just demoed a Mojo 3 and really liked the feel of that bike. It won me over to the plus side, and I wanted to hear how the Mojo 3 stacks up with the TP in plus/plush mode?
    Plush Mode raises the BB, as 27+ tires are a little smaller in diameter compared to 29ers. It also tones down the progression in the leverage curve a little, for additional....you guessed it....plushness. Head angle also gets a little less slack. We've found those sorts of adjustments work best with 27+.
    There's always the option to crank up the rad knob with Crush Mode if you ever want to, as well.

I can't speak directly to a Mojo 3 comparison, but above is how we accomodated 27+ without making undue conpromises to either setup.

mtbr member
    This thread is getting me really pumped about sealing the deal on a Trail Pistol a few weeks ago. Hoping those XT boost cranks work out since I'm sitting on a 1x11 XT groupset and about to grab a 30T Absolute Black ring to mount on the cranks.

RE: forks for this bike, Pikes and 34s ride nicely but I figured a bike like this would do well paired with a lowered Fox 36 so that's where I'm heading on my build.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    This thread is getting me really pumped about sealing the deal on a Trail Pistol a few weeks ago. Hoping those XT boost cranks work out since I'm sitting on a 1x11 XT groupset and about to grab a 30T Absolute Black ring to mount on the cranks.

RE: forks for this bike, Pikes and 34s ride nicely but I figured a bike like this would do well paired with a lowered Fox 36 so that's where I'm heading on my build.
    Shimano Boost chainline (53.4mm): it fits with a 28t and 30t. A 32t would likely need to be spaced out to 55mm to clear the chainstay.

Shimano cranks make it easy to adjust chainline by adding spindle spacers to the drive side, with their spline and pinch bolt system.

If you're buying an aftermarket chainring, pay attention to the chainline, as we've had a few people buy aftermarket rings made for too narrow of a chainline.

A lowered Fox 36 sounds awesome on the Trail Pistol.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Matt- Whats the largest tire I can fit in the rear of my TP running a 130mm rear RS Super Deluxe? Would a 29x 2.5 Maxxis DHF be to big?

Thanks!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    Matt- Whats the largest tire I can fit in the rear of my TP running a 130mm rear RS Super Deluxe? Would a 29x 2.5 Maxxis DHF be to big?

Thanks!
    The diameter is the limiting factor, which we've found so far to be 29 x 2.4. I haven't measured a 29 x 2.5 DHF, but from other measurements I've taken, those are likely a bit bigger in diameter than the 2.4 DHR2.
    I'd recommend the 2.4 DHR2 rear, and the 2.5 DHF front.

mdc
    mtbr member
    That sounds perfect for park days- thanks!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    kragu, I believe, asked for more pics of the Black and Blue color. It's pretty difficult to photograph, but I tried to capture it a bit here:

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-20170106_103114%5B1%5D.jpg

It always make me think of Kenny Wayne Shepherd's "Blue on Black", in a good way.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    kragu, I believe, asked for more pics of the Black and Blue color. It's pretty difficult to photograph, but I tried to capture it a bit here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106_103114[1].jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	1114150

It always make me think of Kenny Wayne Shepherd's "Blue on Black", in a good way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Pretty stoked on mine! Almost done putting it together. Should be able to get in a short test ride tomorrow.

GG is super flexible with ordering parts, which is really nice. I got everything but pedals, seatpost and wheelset from them - mostly off the build 2 kit but I upgraded a couple of things. Nice to not have take-offs, and to be able to mix and match what I ordered.

I converted my DT 350 rear wheel from 135QR to thru-axle boost with an end cap kit and boostinator yesterday, and then built up a matching front:

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-dsc08525-web.jpg

The rear wheel took on a nice transformation with the boostinator kit plus the Trail Pistol dish - the rim is almost centered on the flanges. Total of 6mm of dish compared to the 135QR setup! Very even tension now.
    Nick Smolinske - Owner/Operator at Rogue Panda Designs
    www.roguepanda.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSmolinske View Post
    The rear wheel took on a nice transformation with the boostinator kit plus the Trail Pistol dish - the rim is almost centered on the flanges. Total of 6mm of dish compared to the 135QR setup! Very even tension now.
    The offset rear end is a nice detail. A rim with substantial offset (ex. WTB Asym: 4.5 mm) can build a wheel with symmetrical dish. Alternatively, you wouldn't even need an offset rim if the rear end were to adopt the Syntace Evo6 axle, though getting an ideal chainline without increasing the Q of the cranks wouldn't be straightforward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Got everything put together and took it for a short spin around the neighborhood to bed in the brakes. Too early to tell but I think it's gonna a blast to ride. I'm a big fan of the seat tube angle already.

I am probably the least qualified reviewer for this bike ever, since it's been so long since I've had a new bike. So I'm taking in about 10 years of technology all at once. It's like riding a space age fighter jet.

I like the look of the raw aluminum too. And it'll fade into the background when I sew a flashy framebag set for it.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-dsc08537_01.jpg
    www.roguepanda.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here's a pic from my weekend on the central coast riding. Pretty stormy, but the rain made for some great dirt conditions. The TP is remarkable, I love it more everytime I ride.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    The offset rear end is a nice detail. A rim with substantial offset (ex. WTB Asym: 4.5 mm) can build a wheel with symmetrical dish. Alternatively, you wouldn't even need an offset rim if the rear end were to adopt the Syntace Evo6 axle, though getting an ideal chainline without increasing the Q of the cranks wouldn't be straightforward.
    The rear wheel/frame design we're using is the same as the Syntace Evo6 system. We just called it "a 12x148 rear hub offset 3mm to the drive side".
    After designing it, I was talking to Syntace, ordering axle parts, and mentioned what we were doing, and they said they're doing the same thing, calling it Evo6.

For chainline, yes, that took some work to get figured out during the design phase. The owner's manual on RideGG.com has all of the info, though. Short version: you can keep the same Q factor as a traditional 142 rear hub setup.

And as noted, rear spoke tensions are nearly identical with this setup.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Nick, your photos are awesome

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nick, your photos are awesome
    Thanks! Having a nice camera helps (Sony A7). Believe it or not both shots are from an old manual lens that I got for $20 off of Ebay.

Unfortunately we had really heavy rain today and no clear skies in the forecast, so I think it will be a while before I can actually take it out.
    www.roguepanda.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The rear wheel/frame design we're using is the same as the Syntace Evo6 system. We just called it "a 12x148 rear hub offset 3mm to the drive side".
    After designing it, I was talking to Syntace, ordering axle parts, and mentioned what we were doing, and they said they're doing the same thing, calling it Evo6.

For chainline, yes, that took some work to get figured out during the design phase. The owner's manual on RideGG.com has all of the info, though. Short version: you can keep the same Q factor as a traditional 142 rear hub setup.

And as noted, rear spoke tensions are nearly identical with this setup.
    Interesting! I had the impression Evo6 was different enough that it could be combined with your offset design. Well, I suppose you could offset the rear end as much as you like, but that's not what I mean!

This is good news, as I've always been a fan of Syntace components and was hoping to put their hubs on a Trail Pistol.

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106_103114[1].jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	1114150

Just seeing this now. Thanks! Looks sweet.

May 2010
    What size rims fit the TP in 27.5 Plus mode? Would a 50mm outside/45 inside wheel be too big? Thinking of getting some 3.0's and giving plus a try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Finally got a chance to take the TP out on some dirt this afternoon!

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-trail-pistol-sedona.jpg

I rode a 5 mile loop twice, with some familiar trails and one new one. Dry Creek area of Sedona, Aerie to Mescal to Canyon of Fools to Cockscomb. Canyon of Fools was new to me.

My previous experience on these trails is on a 29er hardtail. Riding the Trail Pistol felt just about as efficient. In fact the TP was a better climber than my hardtail!

Part of that was the steep seat tube angle - I really like the positioning on the bike, I felt very centered during the whole ride. That was something I noticed right away, even riding it on pavement.

The other part is just that it's a full suspension and I'm used to hardtails. The shock can compress a bit when climbing over rock shelves. Makes them easier to get up than I'm used to.

The head tube angle was FUN. I am not used to slack geometry yet. At one point on Canyon of Fools I came up on a very steep drop into the wash and was committed before I knew what was coming. I had a brief split-second freakout, then remembered I had a 66 HTA and went for it. Awesome. Can't wait to get my dropper post.

Also, I am *not* fast enough for this bike. Yet. This thing really does like to go fast. But I'll get there. By the second lap on Canyon of Fools I was hitting all the wall rides. Super fun.

I think me and the Trail Pistol are going to be seeing a lot of Sedona this winter...
    www.roguepanda.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSmolinske View Post
    I am *not* fast enough for this bike.
    Catchy, but too long as a top tube sticker.

Thanks for the review!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    What size rims fit the TP in 27.5 Plus mode? Would a 50mm outside/45 inside wheel be too big? Thinking of getting some 3.0's and giving plus a try.
    It's the tire width that ultimately matters, which you can go up to 3.0". We recommend 35mm or 40mm inner width for 27+.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Any tire vs. saddle clearance issues? I'd like to run the 55 mm stroke shock option (130 mm travel) and a post with a lot of drop. At what point does tire vs. saddle clearance become an issue?

(I realize this will depend on saddle setback and saddle model, but a rough guideline would be greatly appreciated!)

Thank you!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Any tire vs. saddle clearance issues? I'd like to run the 55 mm stroke shock option (130 mm travel) and a post with a lot of drop. At what point does tire vs. saddle clearance become an issue?

(I realize this will depend on saddle setback and saddle model, but a rough guideline would be greatly appreciated!)

Thank you!
    You'd have to run the saddle pretty low for that to be an issue. I haven't heard of any saddle buzz instances. 27.5x3.0 fits with the 55mm stroke, 130mm rear travel Pistola configuration.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast