Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GT Sensor 9R

mtbr member
    jokermtb, nice write up. I test rode both a 26 GT Sensor and a 29 GT sensor two years ago and was blown away. Fantastic bikes and the most under-hyped suspension system out there. I also have a 5-spot but keep thinking of those sensors....
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I love the Marz fork I even have a hardtail with the new REBA and it sucks in comparison. It took a little to get the Marz loosened up where there was practiacally no stiction. But it is like butta now. My Carbon hardtail with all better components (XO) is not half the bike my GT 9r Elite is and it is 11# lighter, but I am 2 mph faster on the same trail on the GT.

Congrats on the new bike, they are great!!!

Todd

mtbr member
    May 2012

GT Sensor 9R

Wow... Nice to hear that my feelings about my '12 Sensor 9r Elite weren't merely subconscious rationalizations about the money I had spent on it! Joker's description is "Spot" on with my experience so far (excuse the pun). I fully realized I wasn't buying a high-end, big-name FS 29er, but have been pleasantly surprised by how much bang-for-the-buck the bike provides. Definitely pedals and rides above its pay grade. I've probably been most surprised by how well it climbs for me... feels even better than my Mamba hardtail on most climbs. Was not expecting that.

I guess I'll stop feeling a little sheepish when telling others about what FS 29er I bought!

... I guess you won't be
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    jokermtb, nice write up. I test rode both a 26 GT Sensor and a 29 GT sensor two years ago and was blown away. Fantastic bikes and the most under-hyped suspension system out there. I also have a 5-spot but keep thinking of those sensors....
    I'll never part with my 5-spot, since resale on used mountain bikes is crap (as you all know) - it just doesn't pay to "give away" such a fine bike. I'll report back once the new bike honeymoon wears off. It'll be interesting to get back on the 5-spot and compare then.

TAPnTX - that's no boast. I really get it. It just doesn't make sense that this GT Sensor is as good as it is.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
    I'll never part with my 5-spot, since resale on used mountain bikes is crap (as you all know) - it just doesn't pay to "give away" such a fine bike. I'll report back once the new bike honeymoon wears off. It'll be interesting to get back on the 5-spot and compare then.

TAPnTX - that's no boast. I really get it. It just doesn't make sense that this GT Sensor is as good as it is.
    So I'm curious on your take for the Marz fork? I know you like it but do you notice any fore-aft flex in it? Are you running it at 100mm or 120mm? I am using the same fork albeit on a different bike (at 120mm) but I can detect some flex if I put my finger in between the fork brace and top tubes and rock forward-backward with front brake locked...sorta gives a little pinch. Have you noticed this? It's a fine line between "compliant" and "flexy" LOL. Do you have the same reaction from yours? I tend to think it's more in the realm of "compliant" and at 120mm (the upper end of 80-100-120) bushing overlap might be a bit lacking.

Your thoughts???
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    My thoughts on the Marz - overall it's a great fork, very plush and reliable over the last year. I try to lube the stanchions before each ride to keep it extra plush, because they do dry out. However, like all 32mm 29er forks, it does flex. I'm 225 and I'm running it at 140, so that doesn't help. If I flip the bike over, hold the brake, and try to turn the wheel by hand, I can actually see the stanchions flexing.

I don't think the flex is a big deal out on the trail, but a stiffer fork would certainly feel better. I'm planning on getting an X-fusion Trace when the unicrown comes out, but my TST2 is working quite well in the meantime.

... I guess you won't be
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Favorite Bike View Post
    So I'm curious on your take for the Marz fork? I know you like it but do you notice any fore-aft flex in it? Are you running it at 100mm or 120mm? I am using the same fork albeit on a different bike (at 120mm) but I can detect some flex if I put my finger in between the fork brace and top tubes and rock forward-backward with front brake locked...sorta gives a little pinch. Have you noticed this? It's a fine line between "compliant" and "flexy" LOL. Do you have the same reaction from yours? I tend to think it's more in the realm of "compliant" and at 120mm (the upper end of 80-100-120) bushing overlap might be a bit lacking.

Your thoughts???
    Running full 120mm, and it's not flexy. Mine does that a little bit (I do believe that the brake pads will shift in the caliper, between the pad and piston, too when you do this as well). I have an older Marzocchi (Z1 FR) on my Turner, and it does rocks a bit more than the new Zoke in the bushings (it's a lot older and has never had the bushings swapped). It also has an air chamber, so the looser bushings don't affect the air - seal (surprisingly). The thing is, at full extension (no rider) the fork is not even in it's working range, so of course it will exhibit that behavior. You'd laugh if you saw my older Zoke rockin' in its bushings. Once underway, with 200 lbs of meat in the seat, the bushings overlap properly, and it's no problem. Sure, maybe in 9 years, this new Zoke will be as sloppy as my old 9 year old Z1......

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Here is some video of my and my buddy riding our Sensor 9rs at Hall Ranch in Lyons, CO. First time to ride in CO (we live in the Dallas area) and first time on that trail. I apologize that it's unedited, but good stuff nonetheless.

Hall Ranch, Lyons CO - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Bought a 2013 Sensor Expert a couple of months ago and have ridden it quite a bit in the mountains. The bike doesn't feel like it has any flex to me. The i-drive appears to do its job very well as I don't hardly notice it is even there until I am dealing with something big. Very smooth and rides like a charm. I really have enjoyed the bike thoroughly. Drivetrain has been solid. I came from XT shifters on the hardtail so jury is still out on SLX but they work well and don't have any issues. Just not quite as smooth as my XT's but that is to be expected.

My one minor annoyance I have had with it is the Formula disc brakes are a little loud when wet. Doesn't affect performance though. Small annoyance but I haven't much effort yet into remedying.

For what it is worth, I narrowed my choices down to this and the Trek Fuel EX8 and I couldn't justify the extra money for the Trek. Even the Trek salesman looked at the Sensor specs and noticed how close they were and for $600 extra, it just wasn't a convincing argument to go with the Trek albeit it did ride quite nice as well. Both bikes did. For that $600, I may update the shifters and have money left over. And of course, Performance Points just sweeten the deal. Overall, I am well satisfied and enjoying the bike immensely!

Rogue Exterminator
    My brakes made a little noise, I just ignored it and eventually it seemed to go away.
    I think I noticed the difference after cleaning the bike using Simple Green.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

... I guess you won't be
    I too am having a time getting the Avid 1.0's fitted to my 2012 Sensor 29r. The 8" rotor started out silent, but as the pads wore in, the infamous Avid HOWL emerged. I've tried fiddling and adjusting to no end, perhaps some fresh pads and some scotchbrite disc deglazing is in order. No fault of the bike though. I initially did not like the Shifters (deore), because the levers were placed differently than my XT's on my other bike. I've now gotten used to it, and don't mind em at all - they're actually quite good shifters - amazing, considering the price point. Even cheap Shimano is pretty awesome.

So far, no issues with the bike, the BB is creak free, headset smooth, cranks are solid, the shock is holding air happily, no weird clunks or cable noises, although I did zip tie on a section of road tire for a chain stay muffler for chain rattle in the bumps. The bargain basement WTB saddle will probably be replaced soon, for it's a bit fragile in the vinyl deptartment, and I'm a bit of a hack (sorry saddle). As for the bumps, the Marzocchi 44 is breaking in nicely, and beginning to exhibit that Marz-butter feel. I'm really impressed by the Maxxis Aspen tires. Light weight, and fast rolling - could use a bit more knob in the chunk, but considering their weight class, they perform well beyond it.

Now that I'm used to the bike, I've discovered how light feeling and flickable this Medium framed version really is - totally defies the convention that says 29'er will be a little truck-like in the handling dept. Can you tell I'm really digging this bike?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Joker,
    Can't really argue with too much of your assessment of the Sensor 9r. Yeah, not a huge fan of the stock WTB saddle, but it's not horrible. I'll probably swap in a WTB Pure V at some point, since I hear good things about them (especially for the price).

I'm less of a fan of the Maxxis Aspens, although I feel better about them now than after my initial impression. I left the Aspen on the rear, but put a 2.35 Geax Gato TNT on the front. Wow... what a difference! The Gato is definitely a burlier tire than the Aspen, but I'm not a weight weenie, so the extra grip and durability of the Gato are a major plus for me. A lot tougher getting the Gato on and off the rim though.

So far, the Elixir 1's on my model have been merely OK. Probably ready for a bleed on the rear brake, but have not experienced the Avid howling that many others have mentioned. But I can't really say the Elixir 1 is any better than the Hayes Dyno Comp hydros that are on my Trek Mamba.

Rogue Exterminator
    The Aspens suck

They will cause you to crash if you push them in the corners.
    At least swap the front out ASAP.

I also accidentally mounted the rear backwards the other day when changing a trail side flat.
    Afterwards it seemed to handle better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby. View Post
    I found lots of good reviews but didn't like the components of the newer ones and nobody was selling used. After months of deliberating over the new models a 2010 came up and I put a new drivetrain, brakes and hubs on it.
    I'm more than happy riding the kind of stuff you describe and think I got a lot of bike for the $$.
    Thinking about picking up this one: 2010 GT Sensor 29r Mountain Bike. Any thoughts on the price?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by edgelax06 View Post
    Thinking about picking up this one: 2010 GT Sensor 29r Mountain Bike. Any thoughts on the price?
    Bicycle BB doesn't list the year but it seems like a decent price if it is in good shape.
    Ask to go look at it and make an offer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edgelax06 View Post
    My only concern would be whether the fork and shock have been overhauled. I paid not much more for my 2010 when it was new. I'd try to get him down a little bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sensor 13 elite. 29er
    This bike is just flat out great as it is. As others mentioned the tires should be the first thing you change. Don't get me wrong the aspens worked great for a few months but go up a hill or take a turn sharp enough your sliding. After grabbing a pair of maxxis ardent the bike is ready for anything you throw at it. I do plenty of single track, dh and fire roads. I just recently swapped out the rims for a tubeless set up, it rides even more so. I can tell you one thing I do not regret buying this bike. Performance had a great sale on there exclusive performance edition so it came well equipped with sram 10speed. Swapped the saddle to a rocket v. Bumped up the rotors to 200mm/f, 180mm/r. All these upgrades with out having to break my bank too much. Isn't the lightest feather but for this pice you just can't find anything better for its value. Comparing a 3/4k bike to this isn't the same. That amount of money you should consider comparing it to a Gt force. (Witch will probably be my next ride)

... I guess you won't be
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurryrain View Post
    Isn't the lightest feather but for this pice you just can't find anything better for its value.
    I'd agree with that.....my Elite, is perhaps the first bike I've really not been compelled to swap out a bunch of stuff in order to get it the way I want, but I will say, I threw on a new wheelset (king/DT rims), and the bike really woke up....

I really have a hard time comprehending how GT got this bike so right!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just to add to the comments, I have one as well, the '13 sensor expert.

I wish it had a little more travel, but otherwise I think it's a great bike. miles better than the hardtail I was riding. Mine came with the formula brakes, and yes they make some noise when moist, but the do stop. Just don't use the brakes.

I'd love to add some travel, but I hear that will mess up the geometry.

funny you should say swap out the from tire. After constantly being scared about wiping out in turns I replaced from tire with a Purgatory Control (I know, not really a favorite around here), and now I turn a lot better and the front isn't always sliding out. I have another purgatory for the rear, but I am not sure I'll need it. let see....

GT Sensor 9R-bike.jpg

p.s. I did not have the purgatory on the front at the time of that pic.

Rogue Exterminator
    The Aspen does make a good rear tire especially if you want to hammer out the miles.
    As a front it is ok if you don't want to corner fast but if that is the case you wasted your money on this bike.

I ended up with a couple Exiwolfs on the bike and love them but I think my next tires for it will be the Kenda Honey Badger Pro's. I have them on my Single Speed (which happens to be a Spot Brand Honey Badger) and they corner like a cat on carpet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by L8APXR View Post
    I'd love to add some travel, but I hear that will mess up the geometry.
    I was concerned about that when I contemplated converting to tapered steerer to use a 2014 Fox 34 so I went with TALAS. The adapter raised it 20mm so the 110-140mm fork sits 10-40mm higher and the rake is changed about .5-2 degrees.
    It's much better at everything than the F29 it replaced and in no way messed up, the extra travel and damping are very nice but the biggest improvement is the preciseness of the stiffer fork, that and stiffer rims the swing arm is the flexiest bit now and I want a new carbon one :roll eyes:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2