Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

GT Sensor 9er anyone ?

Came across the GT Sensor 9er, 120mm travel I-Drive. I have only found a couple of reviews & can't find any geometry spec's. Anyone know about the Sensor ? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

"Let me google that for you.."

Here ya go:
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/mountain/endurance
    Two builds, Pro and Expert.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

My Bad

No geometry given at the GT link, only build specs...sorry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile I recommend the bike

I recommended this bike to a few friends who recently converted to 29er. The bikes are super plush and you can't beat the parts spec for $1800-1900 without any Performance discount. Two friends bought last years Marathon model and my other buddy bought the Sensor two weeks ago with a 20% off coupon. The bike was like $1600 with tax out the door.

The components aren't bad, not great but you get
    - Sweet looking hydro formed frame
    - Fox front and rear
    - XT hubs
    - Easton bar, stem and post
    - I think they come with Elixr brakes as well

Not a bad choice for someone who wants to dip their feet into the pool of 9r.They're pretty heavy bikes though. I think my buddy's bike was 31 lbs with pedals.

He added some eggbeaters, Ti railed seat, a carbon bar and converted the wheels to tubeless. I think he's got it down to 29lbs.

All I can say is you get a lot of bike for not so much money. Oh yeah, he also got the 10% back in Performance points! I didn't get **** back when I bought my Tallboy.

Rub it............
    The first GT Sensor 29er that was released mid year this year, is a decent build. The 2011 models have a nicer build spec on them.

I test rode pre-production model 2 November's ago and was impressed with the handling and pedaling. Very efficient. Not the lightest on the market, but a good solid durable build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I found one review online and the review wasn't too good - didn't seem like the bike's fault. As far as the weight goes i'd like to see the actual frame weight as I weighed my buddy's I-Drive (forgot the model) and a medium was over 8lb. I e-mailed GT for the geometry but find it pretty odd their website is so lacking.

Rub it............
    The website isn't 100% up to date. GT has been doing numerous changes the past month or so. One day last month, I was on their website. The website has most of their bikes up. Within 2 hours, the website had nothing on it when I was showing a customer the new lineup.

Also, when comparing the website to their 2011 paper catalog, there are a couple of bikes that are not on the website, that are in the catalog. So I checked for bike avail on the bikes that were only in the catalog, and GT has inventory listings for those bikes.

So you can't really go by whats on the web.

mtbr member
    I just got this bike today....a 2011 GT Sensor 9r Pro. And Boy it's a LOUD bright green bike. I got alot of looks and comments at the bike shop from customers when I walked it to my truck. Lots of smiles and "that's dope!" comments.

I road it around the street today and It felt good as a first time bike if you are getting into the 29er realm. It turns well and climbs better than I thought it would. The 2x10 drivetrain suits the geometry of the bike better than the previous generation Marathon 9r. Pro pedal was a plus. Has alot more travel and feels more like cross between a XC and a All mountain. it's definitely built for durability. It feels fast. Not as fast as my Jet 9 but still fast. Components aren't bad. The handle bars are super wide at 700mm. It has pre-determined marks to cut it narrower though.

The bike weighed 29.4 lbs after I took off reflectors. There is alot of room for improvement to make the bike lighter. Simply going tubeless will drop a pound. Well, If anyone is interested, I'm going to sell it since I don't need two FS bikes. If you're in San Diego, let me know if you want to ride it on the street. It should be listed on Craigslist in a few.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/2302287046.html

Last edited by Radical Rad; 04-02-2011 at 11:15 PM.

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Rad
    I just got this bike today....a 2011 GT Sensor 9r Pro. And Boy it's a LOUD bright green bike. I got alot of looks and comments at the bike shop from customers when I walked it to my truck. Lots of smiles and "that's dope!" comments.

I road it around the street today and It felt good as a first time bike if you are getting into the 29er realm. It turns well and climbs better than I thought it would. The 2x10 drivetrain suits the geometry of the bike better than the previous generation Marathon 9r. Pro pedal was a plus. Has alot more travel and feels more like cross between a XC and a All mountain. it's definitely built for durability. It feels fast. Not as fast as my Jet 9 but still fast. Components aren't bad. The handle bars are super wide at 700mm. It has pre-determined marks to cut it narrower though.

The bike weighed 29.4 lbs after I took off reflectors. There is alot of room for improvement to make the bike lighter. Simply going tubeless will drop a pound. Well, If anyone is interested, I'm going to sell it since I don't need two FS bikes. If you're in San Diego, let me know if you want to ride it on the street. It should be listed on Craigslist in a few.
    What does the 2x10 drivetrain have to do with the geometry of the bike?
    Customer: How spicy is medium?
    Waitress: It's "medium"...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arashi
    What does the 2x10 drivetrain have to do with the geometry of the bike?
    i don't know...I just PEDAL damn it!

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    What kind of rear tire clearance does the bike have? Would an Ardent 2.4 fit back there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    What kind of rear tire clearance does the bike have? Would an Ardent 2.4 fit back there?
    I don't know if it would fit to be honest. It looks likes it would clear a 2.3 no problem. The upper chain stay width is ~76mm and the lower is ~73mm. Hopefull that answers your question.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Ok, thanks. I've been considering one of these frames for a while but I HATE that loud green

mtbr member
    am doing some research into another 29er ... can't decide between a fs or a hardtail ...

had a quick look at the sensor, but what put me off was the weight ... did a 12hr race about 18months ago as part of a shop team ... the owner had a few gt demo bikes we could use and really wanted us to promote them by riding them round the course ... i picked up a sensor and put it down again ... it was really heavy!!! ... one of the guys rode it for a lap and then told the owner where he could stick it ... i rode my gt peace and the other guys were queing up to ride the demo carbon marathon ...
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I've ridden a few, I think they pedal really well. They are a little heavy, although I don't think it's supposed to be a race bike, it's a really comfy trail bike. I was pretty impressed.

Rub it............
    We had one in our shop last year. I was able to fit a Nevegal 2.1 with plenty of chain stay clearance. So a 2.3 rear tire would fit fine.

Its not the lightest bike on the market, but a fine durable trail bike. Something that can be ridden through the really rough stuff and not around it. You could probably drop at least a 1 lb by going with a different wheel. Those GT hubs are a tad porky.

GT is coming out with an all new Marathon series next year according to the guys on the Demo Tour. I wouldn't be surprised if a carbon and alloy Marathon 29er shows up considering they will be making carbon Zaskars now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Rad
    I just got this bike today..... Well, If anyone is interested, I'm going to sell it since I don't need two FS bikes. If you're in San Diego, let me know if you want to ride it on the street. It should be listed on Craigslist in a few.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/2302287046.html
    So you bought and selliing immediately get that good of a deal or hate it that much?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Rub it............
    Nice bike. Why the flip?
    Last edited by frdfandc; 04-03-2011 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    It was a gift for the Misses....she said it was too loud. She said she didn't want anyone to notice her and the bike when she went over the bars.

I think the color is SiK! But I don't have a need for two FS bikes

mtbr member
    I agree.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just received this bike a day or so ago. I'm a clyde at 6'3" so I got an XL. I really like the looks of it and it's pretty darn comfy. I gotta say tho it seems like it's much larger than the 21in Rumblefish's I've test ridden. Looking at the geometry specs,, however, it doesn't seem THAT much larger. The wheelbase is about .5 in longer than a 21" Rumblefish and it's headtube is .8 in longer. Supposedly, they have about the same stand over, (Sensor 32.64in / Rumblefish 33.1) but it seems like Rumblefish has much more "usable" standover. I have to admit, the Rumblefish feels like it could be a bit more nimble. Sitting on the Sensor, I feel like I'm on a monster truck or something. At the same time, that monster-truck feeling could be a good thing! Ah well, I'm still trying to decide as to whether or not I should keep it or take it back and get a rumblefish. In the end, I'm kinda thinking the GT might win... but we'll see. Anyone else by chance been able to compare these two?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Update: I actually got the new Sensor 9r on the trail yesterday. I ran it w/ the default setup. The suspension on this thing is great. What's cool to me is how I really don't even notice the rear suspension unless going over a larger bump. The smaller stuff just gets absorbed without much attention. On the climbs, the suspension to me was again pretty much transparent. I never engaged pro pedal. Another positive for me is I noticed this has more pedal clearance than my '09 XL Zaskar. There were some roots and rocks where I had bottomed out my pedal before, but didn't much have to even think about on the Sensor 9r. There was plenty of clearance.
    I realized real quick tho I was going to have to adjust the stem height and bar width. Later yesterday evening, I went ahead and lowered the stem - leaving only one of the small spacers on bottom. I also swapped out the 700mm crank bros bar with a 670mm Ritchy pro riser I had on hand. Just these changes all but eliminated the monster-truck feeling. Will be cutting down that crank bros bar asap!
    One final thing I noticed was how it felt just slightly off balance on one of the super-tight corners. The second time around, I just scooted my butt back maybe an inch or so more where I was in a better position over the rear wheel. This made it the turn much better - a lot closer to how the Zaskar 9r felt. I decided to order myself a 20mm setback seatpost to address this.
    Overall I think with the lower stem height, cut down bar width, and an offset seatpost this thing will probably be about as nimble as an XL FS 29er can get. Of course, with the changes it will likely feel closer to an XC setup than a trail bike - but oh well! Looking forward to getting it out on the trail again with all the adjustments in place.

mtbr member

1-yr Noob on the GT Sensor 29er

I've got about a month on my late-2010 GT 29er. I've been riding in earnest for about a year -- started on a cheap Trek hardtail, then found a somewhat ragged out Kona Kikapu on Craigslist, been riding that since. The jump from the hardtail with a cheap fork to a somewhat better-suspended FS 26er felt huge to me. But that was nothing compared to the jump from the Kona to the GT.

I was worried about all the things I'd heard whispered on the internet about 29ers - heavy, hard to turn, harder to climb hills. I've experienced exactly zero of those things. I don't know if the difference is between an old bike vs. a new bike, or a 26er vs. 29er, or cheap Marzocchi/Fox suspension vs. Fox RL 29 fork and Float RP23 shock, but the GT just destroys everything about the Kona. I'm able to get up rooty technical climbs better than the old bike, in a higher gear with greater speed. I'm able to roll over stuff that would have me slowing down and popping up the front end, previously. I feel fresher after longer rides.

I guess they're trying to define a new class, somewhere between weight-weenie XC and all-mountain, called Trail riding? That's what GT says, anyway. 5 inches of travel front and rear, a little heavy, but hey, it weighs the same as my Kona -- right around 30 pounds. I'm still planning on racing it in the fall.

This bike is a bargain, too. I got mine at Performance -- went in looking for some shorts, came out with a bike. List was $2,300, discounted to $1,799, then 15% off that for the Memorial Day sale, brought it to about $1,550 plus tax. Apparently, it had sat on the floor there for a while, and they were getting desperate to get rid of it. I guess Performance doesn't usually attract the kind of person who would drop 2 large on a bike? Oh well, their loss was my gain.

In summary, I think the GT Sensor 29er is a real value in the FS 29er market. It's not sexy, or the super-serious XC 29er like my brother's Ellsworth Evolve 29er, but it's transformed my riding.

mtbr member
    Any other thoughts on this bike I'm looking for a FS 29er for the wife and it's a budget bike for sure but just wanted to get more thoughts on it. Does performance keep this bike in stock?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Not the ones around here in the Dallas area. The model they sell on the website is the sensor expert - which isn't a bad bike for the money. If you ask, they should be able to order the pro (green) one from GT. This is a really fun bike. You might likely want to change the cockpit around a bit - but that's not too unusual for a new bike. (shorter/longer stem, inverted, more narrow bars with lower rise, etc)
    fun bike to ride once you get it tuned in! I"m starting to love mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast