The Duuude, man...

Great new Tire for my budget build: Drifter 29'r

While putting together my budget racer, I decided I would be doing more pavement, city paths, and light trail-duty throughout this summer and early fall.

I need saddle time and miles, to burn the blubber, more than lung-busting mountain trails.

I had some Big-S Captain Control's, but my LBS owning bike buddy recco'd I try some new fangled 29er tires, the Drifter 29'r.

It's like a full regular 29er tire, just without knobs.

I promptly aired it up to 60psi and hit the road and city park paths. Works pretty great if I must say so myself.

Then my buddies getting tired of riding smooth surface, so we opted to start hitting trails.
    Same trails as featured --> here, which of course are very technical and rocky.
    I'm way too lazy to swap tires just becuase of riding on different terrain, i'm lucky to get out of bed and shower daily, so changing
    tires for petty things like traction and ride quality is unthinkable to me.

Yada yada yada, the tires did great. No flats, pinch or otherwise.
    The 60psi may have helped with that. Zero traction really, but it does help to make the ride interesting and entertaining, whilst riding with zero fitness.
    Last edited by ncj01; 06-29-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    FS: Everything

no fat chicks
    you got suspension so 60psi should be about right
    if you were riding rigid i would recco about 10psi less
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    I've had those same tires in a 26" for almost a year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Good sleuthing! I hadn't yet come to the conclusion that increasing tire pressure would be faster on the pavement while inversely making trail riding more difficult. The pictures really help to illustrate your findings in a concise manner. Please post more of your experiments in due time. Maybe we could have a sticky for this?