Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Gravity 29point5

I bought the Gravity 29point5 in size small from Bikes Direct last week. It arrived Monday. Out of the box it weighed 28.8 pounds without the pedals that came with it. I installed a Stan's No Tubes kit, swapped the entire cockpit, and put on my Crank Bros. Candy pedals. It weighs 26.6 now. The wheelset is heavy (~2260 grams). The tires are kinda heavy (725 grams each).This bike could weigh less than 25 pounds without going totally crazy on a new wheelset and tires.

Keep pedaling

Good job!

Thanks for the review. Do you (or does anyone else) know what the widest tires are that will fit in back?

mtbr member

Tire Width

I put the tape measure down by the spaces where the tire is between the chain stays and the seat stays. Those spaces are ~2.875". I couldn't get an exact measurement with the tire on, and I just measured it real quick right before I rode to work. The space is <3", but only slightly less. Looking at it now, it looks like the space between the chain stays would be the area of concern with big tires. The chain stays curve in towards the bb pretty sharply, so there might an issue with the tread of a wider tire rubbing there. Looking at that, I doubt that anything bigger than a 2.3 would fit. There isn't a whole lot of extra space with the 2.1s that are on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    +1

I got a 29.4 last July and so far its been a great bike, I swapped out the handlebar and grips right away, but that's all the changes so far. Haven't weighed it, but as you said the wheelset is heavy. But for the price, I'll just beat this set and then move up to a better wheelset.

Zero Miles from Myself
    So flip ... how does the 29.5 ride? Got a big itch to pull the trigger now. How is the Reba up front?

When you say you "swapped the entire cockpit" what did that include? The site says the stock bars are 610mm ... WOW that is narrow. Is 610mm correct? Not that it matters, I would put carbon risers on there ... probably 635s or 670s.
    Last edited by mrm1; 05-08-2012 at 06:30 PM.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Gravity 29.5 from bikesdirect.com. gonna get here on friday. very excited. I'm just wondering how you like the bike now that you've had it for a few months. where did you purchase your 29.5? I've been looking all over the internet and I can't find anything about Gravity mtb. where is the company located? is it a new brand?

mtbr member
    lol wow Am I a noob or what? ok I now know it's not a company and it's made by Motobecane. I spent most of my budget on the bike so I won't be able to do any upgrades for a few months. how do you like the bike so far and what upgrades should I look into first?

mtbr member

after some ride time

I am very happy with the bike. Since last post I replaced the wheels and tires with cr29ssmax wheels and Conti X-king 2.2s. The bike is down to 25.2 pounds now. I have ridden it at Fruita, to work a bunch, on trails around Denver and in a couple XC races. Prior to the wheel/tire swap, the combination of the slack head tube angle and the slow to grab tires made for less responsive turning than I like. It just didn't bite well enough to hold some of the tight turns. To my surprise, the new tires have mostly solved that issue. I was thinking that the head tube angle was the main problem. Depending on what and how you ride, you may or may not like the relaxed head tube angle. It was comfortable for all day riding in Fruita. I am probably going to swap the frame for a Sette Razzo frame to see if the steeper head tube angle is what I really want. All the parts transfer to the Razzo, so it should be a cheap expirement.

To answer the question about the cockpit, it is a Sette Edge stem, Hylix carbon bars, Forte carbon post and Specialized Henge Expert saddle. The stock cockpit is pretty low end, but I would have swapped all of it even if it had been nice aluminum stuff, so I am glad I didn't pay extra for names.

I still haven't come across a better deal.

mtbr member
    The Reba is great, nice and stiff. I don't think the bars are that narrow, but I am not sure, they never were installed. You won't want to bother with the bars or stem, way heavy. See below for ride & cockpit details.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Thanks for the great updates.

I am guessing the Reba is not a thru axle though correct?

I was thinking of the Maxxis Aspen 2.25, but I think I was reading above where you feel that might be too wide in the rear. If so I will probably go to Rocket Rons which is what I am using now on my 26er with good results locally.

On the bars, yeah I would not use them either, just wondering cause on the site the specs seem very small. I would swap out my current carbons. I have a 65mm stem, but it is kinda heavey.

So right now I am kinda torn between the Sette Razzo X7 or the Razzo XT or the 29 point5. Each has there pros and cons. Seems overall , the point5 has a slightly better parts group in most respects. But sette looks a little sharper and may have a slight better cockpit grouping. (both bikes wheels are blah at best). And sette boasts a lighter start weight so I guess the frame is lighter too.

Will be interesting to see your take on the Razzo compared to the Point5

Zero Miles from Myself
    Wow ... that Raw Razzo Frame looks pretty slick.

Oh, and FWIW, the Gravity Point frames are the same Geo as the Trek Cobria and SuperFly (except for a point 2 degree diff in head tube angle).

Any ideas what the Razzo is most like in shop bikes? At a quick glance it looks like it will have a shorter wheel base by about an inch.

mtbr member
    Nope, not a thru axle. The Maxxis Aspen 2.25 would probably fit without issue. You might have problems with a 2.4 sized tire, but since the tires are always skinnier than they say a 2.25 would fit fine. The Rons would be nice. I have used those, and I have to tell you that the Conti X-Kings are really similar. I like the X-Kings better because they are little grippier in the turns. I found the Rons to be a tire that had tendency to let go and then re-grab as I leaned into turns. I never got used to it. The Contis are supposed to be more durable too, although they are a good bit heavier. If I had it to do over, I might just get the Razzo XT. How much more is it? I don't think they had my size in the Razzo at the time. Also, the shipping cost is a factor. I was thinking along the same lines as you when I bought mine. One thing I haven't mentioned yet is how much I like the brakes. The Elixir 5s have been really nice. I love the huge 185mm rotors. I have been nothing but pleased with these brakes. I am not sure that there is anything about the 7s or CRs that really makes me want to upgrade. The type of riding I do doesn't really allow for messing around with the brake levers while riding, so tool-less adjustability isn't really worth much to me, especially if it adds weight.

Zero Miles from Myself
    The Razzo XT is $200 more. The Fork is a step down maybe ... in the Recon Gold R 100 with Solo Air. Wheels might be a tad better, Brakes are down with 3 instead of 5s and parts group is down with SLX instead of X9 .... but SLX is what I run now (except XTR rear DR and XT cassette) and I like it very much. I am also concerned I might not like the brakes (either the 3s or the 5s) as right now I have the Magura Louise Brakes and they are super smooth, great modulation and mineral oil based for easy bleeding. I have ridding SLX brakes before, they have good reviews ... but to me they were more on / off ... no modulation at all. Not sure about Elixirs.

Thanks for the feed back. I am kinda hedging on the Razzo XT, but for $1299, I would go shopping first to see if local shops had sales or close outs first too.

mtbr member
    You just reminded me of all the reasons why I went Gravity instead of Razzo. The Gravity is just more bike for less money. The funny thing is that what you will find in shops won't even touch the Razzo for $1299. I looked around in shops before I bought the Gravity. It would have taken at least $2K to get the same gear on a name brand bike.

Zero Miles from Myself
    $2K ... yeah that was my experience too. I test rode a Trek Superfly at an event on trails for about 12 miles. Nice bike with a fox fork. But I think it is about $2100. Geo is exactly the same as the Gravity and there is little diff in the parts group.

The Razzo is nearly 1.5 inches shorter in Wheelbase than the Gravity. Will definitely ride differently with that wheelbase and steeper head angle.

Oddly, looking at the "Sette" site (not price point). last years Razzo came with a Reba (lighter fork) which i knew - and a slightly higher end group - for the same money. But according to the Sette site the new XT Razzo is lighter by about 3/4 of a pound with the heavier Recon Fork than the older Razzo One. Interesting.
    - Sette Claims the New Razzo XT comes in at 25.4 w/out pedals.

Also, From Price Point ... you pay $45 shipping so it goes to $1344 delivered.

Wondering if the wheels on the Razzo XT are that much better than the Point 5? Probably not for $250 More. That goes a long way toward wheels and carbon cockpit parts..

mtbr member
    I'm new to the Mtb world. so the Motobecane Gravity 29.5 is not a name brand bike? the things you guys are talking about are going right over my head lol. I shopped around local bike stores, compared components on bikes in my price range and the 29.5 has got some nice components on it. everything in the bike stores with equivalent equipment was way over what I paid for the 29.5. does it have a generic frame or something?

Zero Miles from Myself
    Are you saying you already have a Point5? No it is not a Big Brand. But neither is MotoBeccane for that matter. Just look Moto up on Wiki and you will get the background there.

But "Generic Frame" is kind of Generic. Many Big Brands design their frames but hire out the work to the same or similar manufacturing plants in China and other places to do the builds. So in some respects the Gravity may have been made by the same folks who made say GT or Specy or whoever.

Thing is, a frame like the Gravity just does not carry the big name, may not have some of the hi tech tubing and may way a bit more .... but I know for a fact that dimension for dimension, the Point 5 frame is the exact same frame as the Trek line of 29ers form the Cobria up thru the SuperFly - Except for a point 2 degree of difference in the head tube angle.

The only real set back in the Gravity line is the Wheels. The wheel set is the same from the point 2 up thru the point 6. While a good value on the 2, 3 and 4 ... the 5 really needed an upgrade ... and the 6 is really a bit suspect in value with that wheelset on it.

But IMO ... if you got a Point5, you got a decent bike, speced at around what would have cost you about $800+ more coin. So if you get bored with it in the future ... or it breaks ... there are several frame options out there to swap those decent part out to that would make a really decent name brand bike for you in the future. Niner EMD from Jenson USA comes to mind for about $325 bones.

So ride it like you stole it ... you about did at that price point. Have Fun.

mtbr member
    I purchased it monday, gonna get here tomorrow. thanks for the explanation.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Trek Cobria - $1209 with spring loaded heavy 5lbs + fork, X5 group and entry level Dyno Comp Brakes

Gravity Point5 - $1099 with Air loaded Reba fork at just over 3 lbs, X9 group and middle of the road decent Elixir 5 Brakes.

Both are the nearly the same Geo ... I rode the Cobria and the Superfly and liked them both a bunch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity 29point5-trek.jpg  

Gravity 29point5-gravity.jpg  

mtbr member
    so my 29.5 arrived today. all put together. the metal bracket that the rear derailleur attaches to was bent on arrival. will talk to BD about that. I was able to bend it back into place. and derailleur is working fine. bike came with some dings in the paint. nothing to outrageous. tiny things I see on a brand new bike. paint job isn't that good either. I tightened the rear calipers and the paint on the frame where the bolts touch the frame cracked and chipped. went on a few little test rides to check front/rear derailleur function, brakes still need more time to break in. so far I love the Reba RL shock. has compression and rebound adjustments. haven't started messing around with that yet. all in all I'm pleased with what I got. A bike I can grow into.

mtbr member
    The comparison of the Gravity and the Trek is funny. Big name bikes are such a ripoff.

mtbr member
    The gravity has better equipment and the trek has the name "trek" on it. easy choice!

mtbr member
    In those pics, the Gravity just doesn't look as aggressive..maybe its the longer/higher angle stem and bigger gap between the tire and the seat tube (longer stays?). Component wise..sure..it wins...hard to argue there.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Swapped the bars, grips and seat and I'm diggin' mine.

mtbr member
    I have big hands and I feel like I'm holding onto pencils with the stock handle bar. do they sell larger diameter grips or would I have to get a handle bar that has larger diameter tubing?

hey Pdlpwr, did you go with a wider handle bar? what didn't you like about the stock one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast